One Goal

Weedy

Apr 6, 2013, 2:40:49 PM4/6/13
One Goal

We know we are traveling together. If our pace is slow, go on ahead of us. We won't envy you but rather will seek to catch up with you. However, if you consider us capable of a quicker pace, run along with us. There is only one goal, and we are all anxious to reach it—some at a slow pace and others at a fast pace.
--St. Augustine-- Sermon on a New Canticle 4, 4

Prayer. Let everyone's sighs be uttered in longing for Christ. He should be the object of our desire since he, he all-beautiful One, loves repulsive people so that he might make them beautiful. Let us run to him and cry out for him.
--St. Augustine-- Sermon on John 10, 13

<<>><<>><<>>
April 6th – St. Prudentius Galindo B (AC)
(Also known as Prudentius of Troyes)

Born in Spain; died in Troyes, France, April 6, 861. In the days of the Franks, there came from Spain to the court of France a young and gifted lawyer named Prudentius, baptized Galindo, who was a patriotic citizen of the Roman Empire. He had come to Gaul fleeing the persecutions of the Saracens and studied at the Palatine school, where he changed his name to Prudentius. He had distinguished gifts and rose to high office. In the course of time he held, we are told, "the reins of power over famous cities." In later middle life, however, he turned from his public offices to the Church and devoted himself and his talents to the service of God.

He now came to regard the empire that he had served so well as an instrument in God's hands for the advancement of Christianity, and he lived to see the tide turn against Julian the Apostate, who had been "faithful to Rome, but faithless to God." *(This was actually quoted by Aurelius Clemens Prudentius born 348 -- died ca. 413. A little mixup here.)

He was appointed chaplain to the Frankish court and, in 840 or 845, was elected bishop of Troyes, thus becoming a leading member of the episcopate.

Prudentius was appointed by Bishop Hincmar of Rheims to judge the case of a monk named Gottschalk, whom Hincmar had tortured, imprisoned, and excommunicated for teaching that God would save only the elect and condemn most of humanity. Prudentius defended the theory of double predestination and that Christ died only for those who are saved--a theory that set off a widespread dispute.

Known for his learning and as a theologian, Prudentius was also a poet, and one of his poems reflects his experience:

Now then, at last, close on the very end of life, May yet my sinful soul put off her foolishness; And if by deeds it cannot, yet, at least, by words give praise to God, Join day to day by constant praise, Fail not each night in songs to celebrate the Lord, Fight against heresies, maintain the catholic faith. He became widely known by his writings, including a history of the Western franks called “Annals of Saint Bertin”, an extant treatise against John Scotus “Erigena De praedistinatione contra Johannem Scotem” (851), and a defense of his own theory in “Epistola tractoria ad Wenilonem” (856). Prudentius was the best author of his day--"the prince of Christian poets," and "the Homer and the Virgil of the Christians." Today he is chiefly remembered for his fine hymn, Of the Father's love begotten, Ere the worlds began to be. The feast of Prudentius is still kept at Troyes (Benedictines, Delaney, Encyclopedia, Gill).

The life of St. Prudentius has to be pieced together from the chronicles and documents of the period, but the editors of his theological tractates and other works have generally prefaced them by some kind of memoir. See e.g. Migne, PL., vol. cxv, and Ebert, Literatur des Mittelalters, vol. ii. There is a full bibliography of the Predestination controversy in Hefele-Leclercq, Conciles, vol. iv, p. 538, and cf. the whole of Book xxii.

Saint Quote:
When we have to reply to anyone who has insulted us, we should be careful to do it always with gentleness. A soft answer extinguishes the fire of wrath.
--St. Alphonsus Liguori

Bible Quote:
Now when it was late that same day, the first of the week, and the doors were shut, where the disciples were gathered together, for fear of the Jews, Jesus came and stood in the midst, and said to them: Peace be to you. 20 And when he had said this, he shewed them his hands and his side. The disciples therefore were glad, when they saw the Lord. (John 20:19-20)

<><><><>
"Give me, O Lord, a steadfast heart which no unworthy thought can drag downwards; an unconquered heart which no tribulation can wear out; an upright heart which no unworthy purpose may tempt aside. Bestow upon me also, O Lord my God, understanding to know you, diligence to seek you, wisdom to find you, and a faithfulness that may finally embrace you; through Jesus Christ, our Lord."
--(Prayer of Thomas Aquinas)

<><><><>
On Guarding against Familiarity (I)

Do not open your heart to everyone, (Ecclus. 8:19) but ask counsel of one who is wise and fears God. Be seldom with young people and strangers. Do not flatter the wealthy, and avoid the society of the great. Associate rather with the humble and simple, the devout, and the virtuous, and converse with them on such things as edify. Avoid undue familiarity with the other sex, but commend all good women to God. Desire to be familiar only with God and his angels, and do not seek the acquaintance of men.
--Thomas à Kempis--Imitation of Christ Book 1, Ch. 8