Appreciating God’s Grace: (4)

Weedy

Jul 2, 2011, 1:49:55 PM7/2/11
Appreciating God’s Grace (4)
Always take the lowest place and the highest will be given you, for
the highest cannot exist apart from the lowest. The saints who are
greatest before God are those who consider themselves the least, and
the more humble they are within themselves, so much the more glorious
they are. Since they do not desire vainglory, they are full of truth
and heavenly glory. Being established and strengthened in God, they
can by no means be proud. They attribute to God whatever good they
have received; they seek no glory from one another but only that which
comes from God alone. They desire above all things that He be praised
in themselves and in all His saints--this is their constant purpose.
--Thomas à Kempis --Imitation of Christ Book 2, Chapter 10

Meditation for the Day
Very quietly God speaks through your thoughts and feelings. Heed
the Divine voice of your conscience. Listen for this and you will
never be disappointed in the results in your life. Listen for this
small, still voice and your tired nerves will become rested. The
Divine voice comes to you as strength as well as tenderness, as power
as well as restfulness. Your moral strength derives its effectiveness
from the power that comes when you listen patiently for the still,
small voice.

<<>><<>><<>>
July 2nd - St. Oudeceus of Wales, Abbot
(Also known as Oudoc, Oudocus, Eddogwy)

Died c. 600. About 545, the pious Prince Budic of Brittany, migrated
with his family to Wales, where Saint Oudaceus is said to have been
born soon after. Oudaceus was the disciple and nephew of Saint Teilo
(f.d.February 9). Following the inspired training of Teilo, Oudaceus
became a monk at Llandogo (and some say its bishop about 580). He
succeeded his uncle as abbot of Llandeilo Fawr.

All that is known about Oudaceus comes from the "Book of Llan Dav,"
written about 1150 but incorporating some older material. Oudaceus is
one of the four patrons of Llandaff cathedral, where his relics rested
until 1540, although he was never bishop and is sometimes described as
one, perhaps because of the efforts he made to persuade the abbots of
Llancarfan, Llantwit, and Llandough to join forces against a corrupt
local chieftain. The areas served by these monasteries approximates
the later see of Llandaff.

Husenbeth, for example, relates the story that when Oudaceus
excommunicated King Mauric of Glamorgan for killing Prince Cynedu, the
king immediately repented because of the high esteem in which he held
Oudaceus.

The feast of Saint Oudaceus appears on numerous English calendars,
including Sarum, York, and Hereford, probably due to a belief that he
presented himself to Saint Augustine of Canterbury (f.d. May 27) for
consecration (Attwater2, Benedictines, Farmer, Husenbeth).

Reflection.
It is for men, and not for Angels, that our Blessed Lord resides upon
the altar. Yet Angels throng our churches to worship Him, while men
desert Him. Learn from Saint Francis to avoid such ingratitude, and to
spend time as he did, in adoration before the Most Holy Sacrament.

Saint Quote:
Let the storm rage and the sky darken--not for that shall we be
dismayed. If we trust as we should in Mary, we shall recognize in her,
the Virgin Most Powerful "who with virginal foot did crush the head of
the serpent."
--St. Pius X

Bible quote:
Walk while you have the light, that darkness may not overtake you.
(John 12:35)

<><><><>
Our Mother, Mary

Thou art clement, thou art chaste,