NT server requirements

neutrologic

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Hi again

I d' like to thank all who respond my question about CD file format .

Now i have another question .

Microsoft says NT server will work with 16mb ram / Pentium class computer -
but they also say win95 will run with 4mb ram pc , which obviously untrue.

Right now I am using Winchip 200mmx & 48 mb Ram - is that enough to run Nt
server (I just use it to study for the Mcse , not as a main OS) ???

Thanks

M.N

Joe Smith

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Not true. I have installed WIN95 on a 4mb 486 laptop system and it ran. It was
basically useless for any productive work, but WIN95 itself loaded and ran.
When the specs were estabilshed, nobody said it had to be fast or productive;
they simply said it had to run......

neutrologic wrote:

> Hi again

Brad Grandorff

Mar 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/5/99
Microsoft's HCL is really not that accurate, in the sense that this is
hardware they have certified to run under windows NT. THe last I checked
there was only ONE non-intel processor that had been certified and I think
it was a Cyrix 166. Regardless, the main thing to keep in mind from the HCL
is that technically microsoft will not support your NT instillation if the
equipment is not on the HCL.....

I have done hundreds upon hundreds of installs of NT Server and have YET to
come across a documented instance of a piece of hardware that was NOT on the
compatability list NOT working with NT, with the exception of a Super Micro
motherboard.

I have taught in classrooms where they were running NT on AMD K5's (Notice
the 5 not a 6!!), Cyrix, and just about anything else you can think of. NT
is actually very forgiving when it comes to hardware.

I also have seen 95 on a 386 dx 33 an it actually would surprise you how
well it did. Unless there is some architecture that the OS is actually
taking advantage of, like dual pipelined instructions or something like
that, the processor can be as SLOW as you want. For instance, I have YET to
see any product that claimed to REQUIRE a Pentium 133 not work on a Pentium
120. THe damn instruction set is the same. One is just faster.

Brad Grandorff
A+, MCP+I, MCT, MCSE

Richard Johnson wrote in message <36e0b...@news.pacifier.com>...
>I had a WinChip (Evergreen Upgrade) and was assured by the WinChip people
>that WinNT would run fine. I upgraded my home system before I could test
>that. You also should check out Microsofts compatability list.
>
>neutrologic wrote in message <7bpv30$1hb$1...@holly.prod.itd.earthlink.net>...

>>Hi again
>>
>>I d' like to thank all who respond my question about CD file format .
>>
>>Now i have another question .
>>
>>Microsoft says NT server will work with 16mb ram / Pentium class
computer -

>>but they also say win95 will run with 4mb ram pc , which obviously untrue.

John Napolitano

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
You should not have problems running NT server on a Winchip-based system with
48MB of RAM. But don't forget that in order to run NT your hardware needs to
be compatible, and that includes SCSI cards, HD controller, video card, etc.
Check the HCL (hardware compatibility list).

John

In article <7bpv30$1hb$1...@holly.prod.itd.earthlink.net>,

"neutrologic" <neutr...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Microsoft says NT server will work with 16mb ram / Pentium class computer -
> but they also say win95 will run with 4mb ram pc , which obviously untrue.
>
> Right now I am using Winchip 200mmx & 48 mb Ram - is that enough to run Nt
> server (I just use it to study for the Mcse , not as a main OS) ???
>
> Thanks
>
> M.N

LooseChanj

Mar 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/6/99
I ran NT Server on a P-100 with 24 megs, and it was nice and quick. That
was before I could load it down with active desktop and IE4 tho'...<g>
People should remember that when NT4 came out having 32 megs made you god.
Now I see people shouting from the rooftops a P-II and 128 is what you need
to make it run sweet.

Alexander Lissovski

Mar 7, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/7/99
I set WinNT Server 4.0 for study purposes like you on Pent120 + 32MB
with all the features, like WINS, DNS, DHCP, IIS 4, Proxy 2.0 and it works.
It's paging a bit more than recomended but two clients it can connect with
:-)

Best regards,
Alexander Lissovsky
SPb, Russia

Joe Smith пишет в сообщении <36E0A20B...@dc.jones.com> ...

>Not true. I have installed WIN95 on a 4mb 486 laptop system and it ran. It
was
>basically useless for any productive work, but WIN95 itself loaded and ran.
>When the specs were estabilshed, nobody said it had to be fast or
productive;
>they simply said it had to run......
>
>neutrologic wrote:
>
>> Hi again

Andy Schmitt

Mar 8, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/8/99
though, oddly enough, my 120 day emulation copy of Sequel 7.0 will not load
on my 166 since it doesn't register as a 586 class chip...
andy schmitt

Brad Grandorff wrote in message <36e0c...@news3.uswest.net>...

>Microsoft's HCL is really not that accurate, in the sense that this is
>hardware they have certified to run under windows NT. THe last I checked
>there was only ONE non-intel processor that had been certified and I think
>it was a Cyrix 166. Regardless, the main thing to keep in mind from the
HCL
>is that technically microsoft will not support your NT instillation if the
>equipment is not on the HCL.....

snip....

Jester

Mar 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/20/99
On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 22:05:26 -0800, "Brad Grandorff"
<Brad_Gr...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I've even run NT Workstation and Server 5.0 beta 2 on a system using
an AMD 5X86 processor and 32mb of ram/

>Microsoft's HCL is really not that accurate, in the sense that this is
>hardware they have certified to run under windows NT. THe last I checked
>there was only ONE non-intel processor that had been certified and I think
>it was a Cyrix 166. Regardless, the main thing to keep in mind from the HCL
>is that technically microsoft will not support your NT instillation if the
>equipment is not on the HCL.....

Ronald McGill (MCSE 3.51/4.0)
Ronald McGill (MCSE)
r_mc...@hotmail.com