Cat Mate magnetic door not closing

Jim Ratliff

May 6, 2001, 7:12:33 PM5/6/01
I have a Cat Mate magnetic cat door. Most of the time, when my cat comes
into the house through the door, the door closes and latches behind him
just fine.

Occasionally, however, he'll come through the door very slowly. Then the
door slides down gently along his tail, coming to rest upon the latch
with so little force that it doesn't depress the latch. Therefore the
door stays unlatched. This lets raccoons in!

Has anyone has this problem? Any ideas of how to get it to close more
reliably?

Thanks!
Jim

P.S. I invite and appreciate emailed copies of posted responses.

Phil Davies

May 7, 2001, 7:32:53 AM5/7/01
You could try adding just enough weight to the flap so that it will close.
Something like a fishing weight should do. You'll have to make sure it's
heavy enough to latch the flap without being too heavy for the cat lift. Try
using duct tape to attach the weight. Also, maybe the latch can be bent or
adjusted to make it more sensitive.

Good luck.

--
Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

"Jim Ratliff" <j...@virtualperfection.com> wrote in message

telo...@netvigator.com

May 8, 2001, 8:13:40 PM5/8/01
Phil Davies wrote:

Do you have any trouble with other cats having their own magnetic
collar coming in?
We're about to have a magnetic flap installed and this was our main concern.

Bill T

Phil Davies

May 8, 2001, 8:54:15 PM5/8/01
<telo...@netvigator.com> wrote in message

> Do you have any trouble with other cats having their own magnetic
> collar coming in?
> We're about to have a magnetic flap installed and this was our main
concern.

> Bill T

Actually, when I was a kid my parents had an early model of this kind of
cat-flap. The magnets on the cats' collars were quite bulky and heavy and
they didn't like wearing them much. Also, if they didn't get their heads low
enough, the latch wouldn't trip and the cats bumped their noses expecting the
door to be open. They never did manage it properly and in the end my dad
removed the latch so it became just an ordinary, always-open kind of flap.

I haven't checked out the newer versions - they may well have improved.

--
Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

Jim Ratliff

May 8, 2001, 11:35:48 PM5/8/01
In article <3AF88BB4...@netvigator.com>, telo...@netvigator.com
wrote:

> > "Jim Ratliff" <j...@virtualperfection.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> I have a Cat Mate magnetic cat door. Most of the time, when my cat comes
> >> into the house through the door, the door closes and latches behind him
> >> just fine.
> >>
> >> Occasionally, however, he'll come through the door very slowly. Then the
> >> door slides down gently along his tail, coming to rest upon the latch
> >> with so little force that it doesn't depress the latch. Therefore the
> >> door stays unlatched. This lets raccoons in!
> >>
> >> Has anyone has this problem? Any ideas of how to get it to close more
> >> reliably?
> >>
> >> Thanks!
> >> Jim
> >>
> >> P.S. I invite and appreciate emailed copies of posted responses.
> >
> Do you have any trouble with other cats having their own magnetic
> collar coming in?
> We're about to have a magnetic flap installed and this was our main concern.

I haven't had any cases of other cats having the magnet and thereby
getting in. I guess I'm the only high-tech catdoor on the block!

Jim Ratliff

May 8, 2001, 11:39:39 PM5/8/01
In article <9d613i$gho25$1...@ID-73514.news.dfncis.de>,
"Phil Davies" <phi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

I made an attempt to do this, with fabric weights (like you'd use to
hold down the bottom edge of curtains). Even though the latch seems very
sensitive to the touch, by the time I put on enough weight, the weight
seemed to pull downward on the entire door which made it rotate less
freely at the top. So that didn't seem to work well, either.

Jim Ratliff

May 8, 2001, 11:37:36 PM5/8/01
In article <9da4e1$h53lf$1...@ID-73514.news.dfncis.de>,
"Phil Davies" <phi...@btinternet.com> wrote:

My more-sophisticated has no problem with the door and doesn't seem to
mind the magnet. He hasn't lost his collar since I added the magnet,
which is a long time for him.

My less-sophisticated hasn't liked to open cat doors for years. Even she
has learned to use pretty much.