I want my own 100 gallon propane tank.

已查看 6,085 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

willshak

未读,
2011年9月15日 11:02:202011/9/15
收件人
X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair

I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company.
It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company.
At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier.
I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This
required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was
reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company
installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged.
I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when
having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank.
Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
Anyone have any ideas?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Rico dJour

未读,
2011年9月15日 12:51:312011/9/15
收件人
On Sep 15, 11:02 am, willshak <wills...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:
> X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair
>
> I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company.
> It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company.
> At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier.
> I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This
> required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was
> reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company
> installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged.
> I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when
> having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank.
> Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
> these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
> or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
> Anyone have any ideas?

I can't help you with your quest, but have you asked the propane
companies if they'd have issues with filling a largish tank owned by
the customer? There might be liability issues that would throw a
wrench in your plans. Filling their own tanks keeps the liability
within their control. There might be insurance issues that prevent
them from filling your tank. They might also have issues with filling
a tank where there's no 'contract' or assurance of continuity.
Automatic delivery is the easiest thing for them. Changing customers
costs the company money.

I think those questions have to be answered before you start shopping.

jamesgangnc

未读,
2011年9月15日 13:02:012011/9/15
收件人
I've seen them for sale on cl. They might have date stamps on them so
watch for that. I can't imagine a proane company not filling a tank
just because they don't own it. I own my grill tanks. I own my
actelene/oxygen tanks.

notbob

未读,
2011年9月15日 13:16:552011/9/15
收件人
On 2011-09-15, willshak <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
> these large tanks to the general public.

Nonsense.

Googling 100 gal propane tanks provides a half dozen links, some with
pictures, of places selling 100 lb propane tanks. Looks like the
going price is about $150. BTW, the capacity is by lbs (pounds), not
gallons.

nb

gpsman

未读,
2011年9月15日 13:52:212011/9/15
收件人
On Sep 15, 11:02 am, willshak <wills...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:

> > I want to own my own tank

http://tinyurl.com/100gtank
-----

- gpsman

willshak

未读,
2011年9月15日 13:53:012011/9/15
收件人
Rico dJour wrote the following:
Yeah, I kinda assumed that when I couldn't find the tanks on line.
Propane is explosive, unlike fuel oil.
Maybe I should just abandon the idea.

RicodJour

未读,
2011年9月15日 14:05:312011/9/15
收件人
Geez, Bill. I try to talk you out of something and I succeed on the
first attempt? Where's the fun in that?! ;)

I really have no experience whatsoever with propane other than the
little tanks, and I have no idea of whether large tanks are available
for consumer purchase. I just raised some questions about potential
problems from the distributor's viewpoint and that those should be
addressed before running out an buying one.

Don't give up hope!

willshak

未读,
2011年9月15日 14:09:312011/9/15
收件人
jamesgangnc wrote the following:
I would guess that it depends upon the size of the tank.
Anyone can buy 4.25 lb. grill propane tanks.
I don't know about oxy/acetylene tanks since I haven't used them since
my Navy days 50 years ago, but I remember them having tanks the
thickness of some armored vehicle bodies (not Tanks).

willshak

未读,
2011年9月15日 15:09:572011/9/15
收件人
RicodJour wrote the following:
Actually, propane scares the shit out of me. 2 incidents come to mind.
1. Back about 1963 I lived 2 streets up a hill from a small propane tank
farm on Rt. 9W in Congers, NY. I could see parts of the farm through the
trees from my house. One morning, my wife awakened me to tell me there
was a fire at the farm. From our front yard I watched grill sized
propane tanks spewing fire being launched in all directions, one coming
close to hitting my house. The larger tanks did not fly so far, but
their screw-on caps did.
There were also 100' tall pillars of fire coming from the fill tubes of
underground tanks. No one was killed or injured, and the highway had to
be closed. The cleanup took a long time afterwards. I think there are
still some tank missiles hiding in the wooded areas around the farm and
in the lake on the other side of the highway. It was never rebuilt.

2. I had a Member's Mark (Sam's Club) grill. It was a large grill with a
cabinet underneath to store stuff. I had two of the usual grill propane
tanks, one hooked up and the other stored under the grill in the cabinet.
During the grilling one time, the first tank ran out. I unhooked it and
reached into the cabinet for the spare tank and burned my hand grabbing
the tank. It was too hot to handle due to it being right under and close
to the grill bottom. I never stored a tank under there again. My next
and current grill has a full width heat shield in the cabinet attached a
few inches under the grill and the cabinet has a special construction in
the floor to prevent the tank from tipping when moving the grill, but I
never stored the extra tank in there anyway.

Rico dJour

未读,
2011年9月15日 15:37:182011/9/15
收件人
When I was a middling lad a neighbor's house blew up like someone
dropped a bomb on it. A propane tank in the garage somehow went off.
No idea of the size of the tank, but it's an area that the only
propane used is for gas grills. The wife died, the husband lived, and
parts of the house were found hundreds of yards away.

Jay Zhu

未读,
2011年9月15日 14:59:302011/9/15
收件人
I think it is due to insurance issue. improper filling may cause fire
or leakage. either google more companies or ask some property
management service company. i think they should have experience with
that
> To email, remove the double zeroes after @- Hide quoted text -

dadiOH

未读,
2011年9月15日 15:57:492011/9/15
收件人
willshak wrote:

> I would guess that it depends upon the size of the tank.
> Anyone can buy 4.25 lb. grill propane tanks.
> I don't know about oxy/acetylene tanks since I haven't used them since
> my Navy days 50 years ago, but I remember them having tanks the
> thickness of some armored vehicle bodies (not Tanks).

Actually, you want a 120 gallon tank. No one will fill more than 80% full
so that gves you 96 gallons when full.

The tanks rean't cheap.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

dadiOH

未读,
2011年9月15日 16:07:342011/9/15
收件人
willshak wrote:
> Actually, propane scares the shit out of me.

It does the same to a lot of people and yet all those people think nothing
about riding around for hours on top of 10-20 gallons of gasoline.

Jon Danniken

未读,
2011年9月15日 16:18:032011/9/15
收件人
dadiOH wrote:
> willshak wrote:
>> Actually, propane scares the shit out of me.
>
> It does the same to a lot of people and yet all those people think
> nothing about riding around for hours on top of 10-20 gallons of
> gasoline.

The gasoline itself isn't that dangerous, it's the air and fuel vapor
mixture in the tank that is the explosive part. They build bombs using that
concept, and they are the most powerful bombs made short of a nuke.

Jon

RBM

未读,
2011年9月15日 17:09:092011/9/15
收件人
I've been through this with propane companies in the past. This may be a
regional thing, but in my area, downstate NY, any propane company will
sell you whatever tank you like. They will only fill your tank if they
did the inspection on it. If you want to shop prices, any new company
will charge for an inspection before they'll fill it. Needless to say, I
got away from using propane. I use oil for heating, and have a large
storage capacity that only needs one filling per year, so I shop around
and get the best cash price

Vic Smith

未读,
2011年9月15日 17:41:142011/9/15
收件人
I was getting some hope from these stories.
My wife has been pushing me for a few years to get a propane Weber.
Thought I could use these stories to shut her up.
But I just can't do that.
Too many using them with no problem.

--Vic

Larry W

未读,
2011年9月15日 18:34:522011/9/15
收件人
In article <j4tmhs$t6v$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
Who is "They" and can you give an example of a powerful bomb that uses
an "air and fuel vapor mixture" as the explosive?

John Smith

未读,
2011年9月15日 19:33:062011/9/15
收件人

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月15日 19:53:342011/9/15
收件人
Actually, if propane had been the fuel of choice for cars for the last
60 years, gasoline wouldn't stand a chance of being approved as a
motor fuel today. - and thos bombs do NOT use gasoline, generally.
They use Kero, Diesel, or Jet fuel. (more energy per lb, for one
thing, and safer to handle)

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月15日 19:56:482011/9/15
收件人
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:34:52 +0000 (UTC),
lwas...@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

>In article <j4tmhs$t6v$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
>Jon Danniken <jonSPAMMEN...@yahSPAMhoo.com> wrote:
>>dadiOH wrote:
>>>
>>> It does the same to a lot of people and yet all those people think
>>> nothing about riding around for hours on top of 10-20 gallons of
>>> gasoline.
>>
>>The gasoline itself isn't that dangerous, it's the air and fuel vapor
>>mixture in the tank that is the explosive part. They build bombs using that
>>concept, and they are the most powerful bombs made short of a nuke.
>>
>>Jon
>>

>Who is "They" and can you give an example of a powerful bomb that uses
>an "air and fuel vapor mixture" as the explosive?
Google FAE and Thermobaric weapon.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月15日 19:58:312011/9/15
收件人
On Thu, 15 Sep 2011 22:34:52 +0000 (UTC),
lwas...@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

>In article <j4tmhs$t6v$1...@speranza.aioe.org>,
>Jon Danniken <jonSPAMMEN...@yahSPAMhoo.com> wrote:
>>dadiOH wrote:
>>>
>>> It does the same to a lot of people and yet all those people think
>>> nothing about riding around for hours on top of 10-20 gallons of
>>> gasoline.
>>
>>The gasoline itself isn't that dangerous, it's the air and fuel vapor
>>mixture in the tank that is the explosive part. They build bombs using that
>>concept, and they are the most powerful bombs made short of a nuke.
>>
>>Jon
>>

>Who is "They" and can you give an example of a powerful bomb that uses
>an "air and fuel vapor mixture" as the explosive?
Ever hear of MOAB?

gpsman

未读,
2011年9月15日 20:02:072011/9/15
收件人
On Sep 15, 7:33 pm, John Smith <J...@I.love.spam> wrote:

> >http://tinyurl.com/100gtank
>
> Except for the fact that those that are listed are designated in pounds,
> not gallons.http://www.google.com/search?q=100+gallon+propane+tank&ie=utf-8&oe=ut...

Huh...

Well, that the first time that ever happened!
-----

- gpsman

DD_BobK

未读,
2011年9月15日 19:53:392011/9/15
收件人
On Sep 15, 3:34 pm, lwass...@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:
> In article <j4tmhs$t6...@speranza.aioe.org>,
This topic has come up before on a.h.r

FAE is well know in military circles.

All one needs is the mixture of air (oxygen) and a suitable fuel and
an ignition source.

Fuel can be any combustible liquid or combustible solid of fine enough
particles
(hence the danger of empty grain silos or fine wood dust in your shop)

FAE is why the 100ml (3 oz) liquid limit for airline carry on and why
they want to be able to see the stuff.

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9xCgNdZPKk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon
http://www.bordeninstitute.army.mil/other_pub/blast/Blast_monograph.pdf

cheers
Bob

Jim Elbrecht

未读,
2011年9月15日 20:27:402011/9/15
收件人
RBM <rb...@live.com> wrote:

-snip-

>I've been through this with propane companies in the past. This may be a
>regional thing, but in my area, downstate NY, any propane company will
>sell you whatever tank you like.

That blows my theory, then. I thought it was NY law that the company
had to own the tank. I'm a couple hours north of you, near
Schenectady. I've had 3 suppliers in the last 25 years and none
would sell me a tank.

All have been real good about running new supply lines to any
appliances I put in. [and only charge for the material- and less than
I could get it at the borg]

Jim

Larry Fishel

未读,
2011年9月15日 20:42:342011/9/15
收件人
On Sep 15, 3:37 pm, Rico dJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> When I was a middling lad a neighbor's house blew up like someone
> dropped a bomb on it.  A propane tank in the garage somehow went off.
> No idea of the size of the tank, but it's an area that the only
> propane used is for gas grills.  The wife died, the husband lived, and
> parts of the house were found hundreds of yards away.

Home made (accidentally) FAE. The tank "going off" would likely have
just burned the house down. If the house was blown into little pieces,
then what most likely happened was that a leaking tank filled the
garage with just the right mixture of propane and air, and some
ignition source detonated that.

k...@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz

未读,
2011年9月15日 21:01:422011/9/15
收件人
MOAB isn't an FAE, rather a 21,000lb HE bomb (GBU-43/B).

Ed Pawlowski

未读,
2011年9月15日 21:35:232011/9/15
收件人

"Jim Elbrecht" <elbr...@email.com> wrote in message
Propane dealers are the sleaziest bunch ever. The won't touch a tank that
is not theirs. I've not kept up, but some states have changed the laws to
make it better for the consumer to shop around.

I've seen 100 gallon tanks for sale. I've also seen people taking them to
be filled to save money. I'd have considered it in the past, but I'm not
about to start hauling around the tanks and setting them up when full. Yes,
I pay a high price for the privilege of having them deliver once a year.

Robert Green

未读,
2011年9月15日 22:00:462011/9/15
收件人
"willshak" <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> Actually, propane scares the shit out of me. 2 incidents come to mind.
> 1. Back about 1963 I lived 2 streets up a hill from a small propane tank
> farm on Rt. 9W in Congers, NY. I could see parts of the farm through the
> trees from my house. One morning, my wife awakened me to tell me there
> was a fire at the farm. From our front yard I watched grill sized
> propane tanks spewing fire being launched in all directions, one coming
> close to hitting my house. The larger tanks did not fly so far, but
> their screw-on caps did.

You're right to be wary: Those were BLEVE's - Boiling Liquid Expanding
Vapor Explosions. Depending on the circumstances, they can fly pretty far.
Firemen really dislike fighting such fires because of the danger of tanks
and parts becoming mini-rocketships, propelled by superhot gas exiting the
relief valve (or sometimes the hole where the relief valve used to be after
the relief valve has rocketed off).

http://www.firenuggets.com/dunnsdispatch/dunnsdispatch3.htm

says:

<<The distance that a piece of steel can be blown away from the explosion
depends, in part, on the size of the container and the amount of liquid
petroleum gas stored inside. BLEVEs of large tanks have blown metal pieces
up half a mile away from the explosion. Firefighters who were 800 feet away
from such a BLEVE have been killed by hurtling tank parts. Obviously, a
small cylinder will not cause shrapnel to travel as far as will a large
propane tank; however, firefighters directing a 30- or 50-foot hose stream
to cool down exposures are within the range of rocketing projectiles and
could be killed or seriously injured.

The distance covered by metal shrapnel from an exploding propane cylinder is
also dependent on which section of the cylinder fails. If the cylinder
remains in one piece and only the control mechanism and valve blow off, that
cylinder will travel farther than if the tank splits into two large
sections. A small piece of rocketing cylinder such as a control handle
mechanism is not unlike a bullet or cannon ball. If, on the other hand, the
propane cylinder splits apart or tears open at the seam, the large chunks of
metal may not travel as far away from the explosion site; however, this type
of cylinder rupture creates a larger fireball . . . In Brooklyn, New York,
one 20-pound propane cylinder exploded in the cellar of a plumbing supply
company. The explosion and ensuing shock wave collapsed three two-story
buildings, killing four people. Five years ago, in Buffalo, New York, the
shock waves of an explosion caused by a leaking propane cylinder collapsed a
200- by 100-foot brick building, killing five firefighters; propane gas was
a suspected cause of the 2001 explosion and building collapse that killed
FDNY firefighters Harry Ford, John Downing and Brian Fahey.>>

I think I might look into storing my 20 pound bottle somewhere safer than it
is now. I'd keep it in the shed except I use it only to melt ice from the
steps. Putting it in the shed means carrying it up an icy hill. Hmmm.

--
Bobby G.

willshak

未读,
2011年9月15日 22:15:592011/9/15
收件人
Larry Fishel wrote the following:
I have both a fridge and a chest freezer in my attached garage, so
either could be a source of ignition of propane fumes. The only fuel I
keep in the garage is a 5 gallon plastic gasoline can, and then only in
the winter when I keep my garden tractor equipped with a snow blower
attachment in there, which also contains gasoline. I have to keep the
tractor in there in the winter because I can't leave it out in the shed,
like I can do in the summer when it has a mower attached, because the
throttle and choke cables freeze up to where they are useless and the
tractor won't start.
It's a two car garage but a car was only parked in there when the house
was new. There's no room for a car in there anymore. I have to move
stuff around just to get the tractor in there. :-)

Steve B

未读,
2011年9月15日 23:06:172011/9/15
收件人

"Larry Fishel" <ldfi...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
reply: My in-law's house was destroyed like that while they were away. The
blast blew bricks for a long distance. Blew out windows a good ways away,
too. Sabotage was suspected, as my FIL was involved in a nasty lawsuit at
the time, but nothing was ever proven. In his case, he had natural gas
appliances. Pilot lights. It would not be hard for someone to enter,
loosen a nut, and be gone. The explosion would be many hours later.

Steve

willshak

未读,
2011年9月15日 23:08:212011/9/15
收件人
Robert Green wrote the following:
Mine are stored outside in the back yard all year round next to the
grill. I use salt or sodium chloride for ice.

Propane tank farm fire in Dallas, TX.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85R3OXK3bs
The 10 minute video was taken from a mile or two away, but the flying
tanks can be seen. Note the fires started by the flying tanks all over
the highway.

Jufor

> --
> Bobby G.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月16日 00:15:152011/9/16
收件人
Difference between NG and Propane is propane is heavier than air - so
it pools in low spots - while NG is slighly lighter than air, so it
rises and mixes EVERYWHERE

Robert Green

未读,
2011年9月16日 09:09:462011/9/16
收件人
"willshak" <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote in message

<stuff snipped>

> > I think I might look into storing my 20 pound bottle somewhere safer
than it
> > is now. I'd keep it in the shed except I use it only to melt ice from
the
> > steps. Putting it in the shed means carrying it up an icy hill. Hmmm.
>
> Mine are stored outside in the back yard all year round next to the
> grill. I use salt or sodium chloride for ice.

It's only four steps that face north and never quite thaw. My wife hates
tracking the salt around the house and I love using what feels like a big
honking Goa'uld staff weapon on those stubborn ice patches.

> Propane tank farm fire in Dallas, TX.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85R3OXK3bs
> The 10 minute video was taken from a mile or two away, but the flying
> tanks can be seen. Note the fires started by the flying tanks all over
> the highway.

My dad became a forensic engineer after retiring from the Navy. He said the
farthest he had measured them traveling was 300 feet. Propane tanks and
boilers can travel remarkable distances if the conditions are right.
Reminds me of the old failed rocket test videos. They were supposed to
shoot off but didn't while the propane tanks aren't supposed to shoot off
but do.

The most impressive explosion video I've seen was a fire in an explosives
factory. From a mile away you could see the perfectly circular blast rings
radiating from the explosion *very* quickly.

Second best was an old freighter torpedoed in a test. The explosion could
be seen in two stages. First, all the soot in the main smokestack blasted
into the air, black as coal, as the torpedo exploded. Momentarily that was
followed by the enormous, billowing brownish-grey smoke of the torpedo's
high explosive charge. The poor freighter literally got "the snot" knocked
out of it.

--
Bobby G.

MOH recipient: *BELCHER, TED Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army,
Company C, 1st Battalion, 14th Infantry, 25th Infantry Division. Place and
date: Plei Djerang, Republic of Vietnam, 19 November 1966. A hand grenade
landed in the midst of the sergeant's squad. Instantly realizing the
immediate danger to his men, Sgt. Belcher, unhesitatingly and with complete
disregard for his safety, lunged forward, covering the grenade with his
body.

George

未读,
2011年9月16日 09:51:512011/9/16
收件人
On 9/15/2011 1:53 PM, willshak wrote:
> Rico dJour wrote the following:
>> On Sep 15, 11:02 am, willshak <wills...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:
Unless you like doing business with the outfits that have good marketing
and well made commercials the best bet is to see if there is a local
propane supplier. For example in my area there is a locally owned
business that has 2 locations. They are consistently the lowest in price
and also do not get carried away with fees.

Evan

未读,
2011年9月16日 15:25:282011/9/16
收件人
On Sep 15, 11:06 pm, "Steve B" <pittmanpir...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Larry Fishel" <ldfis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
*OR* a more plausible explanation is a combination of older gas
appliances
which had primitive safety devices in them with a sudden spike or dip
in
the natural gas pressure in the area of your in-laws house blew out a
pilot
light in one of those appliances and the gas built up in the house
until one
of the other pilot lights still lit or a spark from some automatic
electrical
appliance ignited the gas in the house...

Anyone who immediately jumps to assume sabotage without having actual
evidence of that being likely (reports of strange people/vehicles near
a house
that soon after goes BOOM! by impartial witnesses) is a paranoid
idiot...

~~ Evan

Rico dJour

未读,
2011年9月16日 15:33:172011/9/16
收件人
On Sep 16, 3:25 pm, Evan <evan.news.re...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> On Sep 15, 11:06 pm, "Steve B" <pittmanpir...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > "Larry Fishel" <ldfis...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
Steve said sabotage was suspected, not assumed. That's a big
difference and I'm surprised you missed it. The investigator would be
the idiot if they did not investigate fully - even the improbable
causes.

Vic Smith

未读,
2011年9月16日 16:06:182011/9/16
收件人
On Fri, 16 Sep 2011 12:25:28 -0700 (PDT), Evan
<evan.ne...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>*OR* a more plausible explanation is a combination of older gas
>appliances
>which had primitive safety devices in them with a sudden spike or dip
>in
>the natural gas pressure in the area of your in-laws house blew out a
>pilot
>light in one of those appliances and the gas built up in the house
>until one
>of the other pilot lights still lit or a spark from some automatic
>electrical
>appliance ignited the gas in the house...

Don't know if this was discussed here before I was around.
Worth mentioning.
There were a bunch of defective flex NG hoses on the market.
Those hoses are most common on ranges and clothes dryers.
I replaced the ones in this house with new hoses because I didn't know
how old the hoses were.
Can't find anything about it now.
About 10 years ago.
I'll bet there's plenty of those bad hoses out there waiting to fail.

--Vic

Larry W

未读,
2011年9月16日 18:01:552011/9/16
收件人
In article <dd637f17-0a32-4cb4...@g31g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
I'm not disputing that. But I have never heard of a bomb that used a
grain silo or wood shop as one if its parts.

Robert Neville

未读,
2011年9月16日 19:33:112011/9/16
收件人

> Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
> these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
> or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
> Anyone have any ideas?

You might try an RV dealer. There's also this post that suggests that
manufacturers don't want to sell 100 gallon or larger tanks to consumers.
http://www.cga.ct.gov/2009/rpt/2009-R-0296.htm

Most of the propane dealers around here will sell you a tank outright and it
does indeed allow you to shop for refills. The tanks have to be recertified
every 10 years, so there's no liability issue with refilling a customer owned
tank.

The problem is that although you can buy a tank, there's not a lot of incentive
for the dealers to sell you one unless they price it quite high. Not so
coincidentally, the payback when compared against renting the tank was about 15
years on a 500 gallon tank ($72/year rent vs. $1000 to buy).

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月16日 20:52:302011/9/16
收件人
Dry AFEs are in relatively common use as IEDs in the eastern wars.

Tony Miklos

未读,
2011年9月16日 21:02:332011/9/16
收件人

>> Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
>> these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
>> or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
>> Anyone have any ideas?

Tractor supply sells them.

John Gilmer

未读,
2011年9月16日 23:23:072011/9/16
收件人

> I would guess that it depends upon the size of the tank.
> Anyone can buy 4.25 lb. grill propane tanks.
> I don't know about oxy/acetylene tanks since I haven't used them since
> my Navy days 50 years ago, but I remember them having tanks the
> thickness of some armored vehicle bodies (not Tanks).

I have seen 100# (pounds not gallon) LPG tanks for sale. I have one but
no longer use it. When I used it, I simply put it in the back of my
car and drove it down to a "re-fill" place. The "re-fill" place was
run out of the office of a trailer park and was set up as much as a
convenience for the trailer owners as outsiders.

Many folks take the 20# tanks to "re-fill" places rather than the tank
exchange places. It's usually about $5 cheaper to re-fill over
exchange. When you tank gets to be "re-proofed" you simply take it to
an exchange place and hope you get one with more time left. Many
exchange places don't give the customer the choice of tank.

There is a "heavy duty" LPG tank intended for use of LPG powered fork
lifts and other wheeled equipment that have a battery powered
counterpart. In many/most places these LPG fork lift trucks with the
heavy duty tanks can be used in large but enclosed spaces like
warehouses. The extra heavy construction makes the tank safe from
being punctured in a "reasonable" industrial accident.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月16日 23:29:162011/9/16
收件人
Actually, MOST fork lift tanks are aluminum instead of steel - making
them easier to manhandle - but no stronger than a "camper" tank.

Most are also "liquid takeoff" rather than "vapout take-off" tanks.

Steve B

未读,
2011年9月17日 00:02:212011/9/17
收件人

"willshak" <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote

> Propane tank farm fire in Dallas, TX.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85R3OXK3bs
> The 10 minute video was taken from a mile or two away, but the flying
> tanks can be seen. Note the fires started by the flying tanks all over the
> highway.

I have welded since 1974. I cannot watch that video enough. Some of the
things that stick in my mind are the very large very heavy metal tanks going
hundreds of yards, landing right in the middle of the freeway. And what
amazes me more is the people who slow down and stop to watch this, seemingly
oblivious of an incoming steel tank of 150# at 500 F. Human stupidity and
natural raw power never cease to amaze or amuse me. Too bad one of the
lookie loos didn't sustain a direct hit. Just one, PUHLEEEEZE.

Steve

Steve B

未读,
2011年9月17日 00:10:392011/9/17
收件人

"willshak" <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote

> Propane tank farm fire in Dallas, TX.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n85R3OXK3bs
> The 10 minute video was taken from a mile or two away, but the flying
> tanks can be seen. Note the fires started by the flying tanks all over the
> highway.

This one is short and fun.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9sSoMhGbiw&feature=related

dadiOH

未读,
2011年9月17日 10:53:432011/9/17
收件人
Jon Danniken wrote:
> dadiOH wrote:
>> willshak wrote:
>>> Actually, propane scares the shit out of me.
>>
>> It does the same to a lot of people and yet all those people think
>> nothing about riding around for hours on top of 10-20 gallons of
>> gasoline.
>
> The gasoline itself isn't that dangerous, it's the air and fuel vapor
> mixture in the tank that is the explosive part. They build bombs
> using that concept, and they are the most powerful bombs made short
> of a nuke.
> Jon

Yeah, the vapor.

Along about 1966 I was living on my boat in Ala Wai Harbor in Honolulu.
Just across the channel was Ala Wai Marine...a marine store, drydock, fix
anything place. It was the fourth of July and the marina was closed but one
of the employees was busy doing something directly across from me. Maybe
60-70 yards away. All of a sudden there was a tremendous explosion (and
fire ball) and the guy was dead.

The owner of the marina was a friend of mine and I later talked to him about
the accident. Turned out the guy had been grinding on an old barrel that
had once contained diesel fuel. The barrel had been long empty and had been
filled with water and emptied numerous times - may have been filled with
water at the time, don't recall - but there were still enough vapors left to
explode from the sparks when he cut through with the grinder.

--

dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

Ignoramus8416

未读,
2011年9月17日 11:06:442011/9/17
收件人
I recently brazed a gasoline tank with no problems. My solution was to
let it dry for a few weeks under the sun, and fill it with water
almost all the way, up to 1/2" away from the top. Nothing happened.

dadiOH

未读,
2011年9月17日 11:35:502011/9/17
收件人
A veces tienes suerte (sometimes you get lucky). Maybe because gasoline is
more volatile than diesel?

Vic Smith

未读,
2011年9月17日 12:52:382011/9/17
收件人
What kind of tank?
I tried soldering the leaking gas tank seam of a 1976 Chevy Caprice in
1981. Maybe a 20 gallon tank.
Emptied it, put it on the ground and did 3 full fill-agitate-rinse
cycles with detergent laced water, then filled again as much as I
could to solder the seam. Probably 80% full. I could barely detect a
very slight gas smell.

As soon as I put the torch on the seam it exploded flame a yard out
the big sender unit hole. It was quite a bang and knocked me on my
ass.
Lucky I didn't blow my head off.
Went to the boneyard and a got a perfectly good tank for 20 bucks.
Until I stapled my finger 25 years later, trying to solder that tank
was my record for stupidity.
Not knocking your success, but you'll never find me putting heat on a
fuel tank again.

--Vic

Ignoramus8416

未读,
2011年9月17日 14:54:332011/9/17
收件人
I would list these reasons:

1) It is more volatile and had enough time and heat to escape most
fumes.
2) 1/2 inch space above water, does not create enough room for a big
conflagration
3) Your neighbor probably embelished things a bit about how much he
purged the barrel
4) Solid oily gunk may have been left in the barrel, and it evaporated
due to heat and then exploded.

Ignoramus8416

未读,
2011年9月17日 14:57:582011/9/17
收件人
I gave mine two weeks to dry under hot sun. Plus, the volume after
filling with water, was minuscule. The first thing I did was stick a
torch inside, to check.

dadiOH

未读,
2011年9月17日 16:21:562011/9/17
收件人
I'm glad you are careful.

jamesgangnc

未读,
2011年9月17日 17:54:042011/9/17
收件人
On Sep 17, 4:21 pm, "dadiOH" <dad...@invalid.com> wrote:
> Ignoramus8416 wrote:
> Get it athttp://mysite.verizon.net/xico- Hide quoted text -

We used to weld them all the time. Hook a rubber garage exhaust hose
up to an idling vehicle and stick it over the fill tube. Leave the
sending unit out. Let the vehicle idle for about half an hour. Water
isn't what you want, what you want is to move some air through it.
Gas evaporates easy.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月17日 20:24:202011/9/17
收件人
On Sat, 17 Sep 2011 10:06:44 -0500, Ignoramus8416
And as was stated on this list at the time - you beat the odds. The
odds were not heavily against you, but the POSSIBILITY that the tank
could explode, even when :filled" with water was still there.
If you were brazing a spot that was below the water line your odds
were a whole lot better for having no problem explosion-wize - but the
difficulty of brazing the tank went WAY up.

willshak

未读,
2011年9月17日 20:57:262011/9/17
收件人
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:
You would have a problem Brazing below the water line though. The metal
could not get hot enough to braze. That's like trying to solder a pipe
joint while water is in the pipe.

Here's what some say about preparations for welding on a gas tank.
1. Pour water and detergent mix into the so-called empty tank. Slosh it
around to cover all inside surfaces.
2. pour out the water detergent mix and whatever liquid gas was left.
3. Rinse the tank with water.
4. Turn the tank with the opening up and pour some dry ice into the tank.
Dry ice skips the liquid stage and goes from a solid to carbon dioxide
gas. Carbon dioxide fumes will fill the tank, pushing up and out any
fumes suspended in the tank. Additionally, CO2 will not support
ignition. That's why they put it in fire extinquishers.
Weld to your hearts content.

cl...@snyder.on.ca

未读,
2011年9月17日 21:08:562011/9/17
收件人
It is not just moving AIR. HOT AIR helps - and so does CARBON
DIOXIDE. So you want an engine that is running hot and efficient -
Carbon MONOXIDE is NOT what you want in the tank, as it can still
burn.
When I need to weld a fuel tank or oil pan or similar device I fill
the container with CARBON DIOXIDE from a fire extinguisher. Dry Ice
can also be used. Carbon Dioxide is heavier than air so will displace
any oxygen in the container - it will not support combustion, and it
will not absorb great amounts of heat, making sldering/brazing/welding
difficult. As long as the repair site is below the level of the CO2,
the repair is safe. NEVER weld or braze on the TOP of the container
because it is POSSIBLE there is trapped air/fuel in a pocket at the
top.
With CO2 leaking out of the repair site there is no chance of fuel-gas
fronm the torch getting into the tank unburned and "going off" as some
bozo in a former thread on this subject suggested as the cause of a
possible explosion.

Steve B

未读,
2011年9月17日 21:32:582011/9/17
收件人

<cl...@snyder.on.ca> wrote in message
CO2 would be common to any welder's shop.

Steve

willshak

未读,
2011年9月17日 21:40:102011/9/17
收件人
cl...@snyder.on.ca wrote the following:
Here's what some 'experts' say about preparations for welding on a gas tank.
1. Pour water and detergent mix into the so-called empty tank. Slosh it
around to wash all inside surfaces.
2. pour out the water detergent mix and whatever liquid gas was left.
3. Rinse the tank with water.
4. Turn the tank with the opening up and pour some dry ice into the tank.
Dry ice skips the liquid stage and goes from a solid to carbon dioxide
gas. Dry Ice will continue to produce CO2 until it evaporates, unlike
using straight CO2. Carbon dioxide fumes will fill the tank, pushing up
and out any fumes suspended in the tank. Additionally, CO2 will not
support ignition. That's why they put it in fire extinquishers.
5. Weld to your hearts content.

akbar...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年1月8日 16:20:562014/1/8
收件人
On Thursday, September 15, 2011 11:02:20 AM UTC-4, willshak wrote:
> X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair
>

> I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company.
>
> It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company.
>
> At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier.
>
> I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This
>
> required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was
>
> reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company
>
> installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged.
>
> I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when
>
> having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank.
>
> Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
>
> these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
>
> or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
>
> Anyone have any ideas?

akbar...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年1月8日 16:26:322014/1/8
收件人

akbar...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年1月8日 16:26:502014/1/8
收件人

akbar...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年1月8日 16:26:582014/1/8
收件人

akbar...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年1月8日 16:27:052014/1/8
收件人

picstel...@gmail.com

未读,
2014年12月12日 18:17:372014/12/12
收件人
Are you still looking for 100lb propane tanks? We had same situation as you but were able to buy 2 tanks. We are switching to electric water heater now & need to sell tanks. 2-3 years old.
717.768.0795 home phone, allow minimum 6 rings please. Thnx

justjoe...@gmail.com

未读,
2015年11月27日 16:52:152015/11/27
收件人
go to NOLT'S in Lancaster co PA they have new ASME 100 gal LP tanks for about $500. used for less these are not DOT tanks that need inspections ASME never need inspection

pltransp...@gmail.com

未读,
2015年12月29日 14:43:142015/12/29
收件人
On Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 12:16:55 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-09-15, willshak <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
> > these large tanks to the general public.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> Googling 100 gal propane tanks provides a half dozen links, some with
> pictures, of places selling 100 lb propane tanks. Looks like the
> going price is about $150. BTW, the capacity is by lbs (pounds), not
> gallons.
>
> nb

it is amazing people that know nothing are the first to open their mouths..... your best bet is craigslist or here is one for you. it is actually listed as 120 not 100, but is about the only one without going through the gas suppliers that i have found. good luck on your quest. 420 lb (120 Gallon) Propane ASME Tank
$499.50
Propane Tank Store
No tax

hunter...@gmail.com

未读,
2016年1月6日 23:03:222016/1/6
收件人
Well to tell you your also wrong when it's in large numbers they sell it by the gallon

arive...@gmail.com

未读,
2016年1月26日 07:02:572016/1/26
收件人
I bought mine from Kleen-RiteCorp.com with shipping and regulator was around 700.00 . I live Upstate NY

cscot...@gmail.com

未读,
2016年7月1日 20:55:172016/7/1
收件人
On Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 1:16:55 PM UTC-4, notbob wrote:
> On 2011-09-15, willshak <will...@00hvc.rr.com> wrote:
>
> > Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
> > these large tanks to the general public.
>
> Nonsense.
>
> Googling 100 gal propane tanks provides a half dozen links, some with
> pictures, of places selling 100 lb propane tanks. Looks like the
> going price is about $150. BTW, the capacity is by lbs (pounds), not
> gallons.
>
> nb

Pounds is a smaller tank. Gallons is a large tank

mets...@gmail.com

未读,
2017年12月20日 17:37:242017/12/20
收件人
On Thursday, September 15, 2011 at 11:02:20 AM UTC-4, willshak wrote:
> X-post to alt.building.construction and alt.home.repair
>
> I currently have a 100 gal propane tank owned by the propane company.
> It is refilled by automatic delivery and the price is set by the company.
> At one time I had a tank owned by another propane supplier.
> I switched from that company to the company I currently use. This
> required that the old company had to come and remove their tank. I was
> reimbursed for the propane left in the old tank. The new company
> installed their tank and I was locked into whatever price they charged.
> I want to own my own tank so I can shop around for the best price when
> having my tank refilled, much like I do with my fuel oil tank.
> Having googled for 100 gal propane tanks, it seems that no one sells
> these large tanks to the general public. Even eBay does not have any new
> or used tanks for sale (Your search returned 0 items).
> Anyone have any ideas?
>
> --
>
> Bill
> In Hamptonburgh, NY
> In the original Orange County. Est. 1683
> To email, remove the double zeroes after @

Bill, did you ever find a tank? Mark

ooa...@aol.com

未读,
2018年1月29日 21:52:062018/1/29
收件人
Home Depot has two of them, 1 for $135 and another 1 for $150 which has multiple connections. Lowes Home Improvements has them also, prices are comparable.
0 个新帖子