warning

Stefan Rausch

Dec 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM12/29/96
Bitte lesen sie die beigefügte Textdatei
Warnung an Newsgroups

Ned Ludd

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

In <01bbf4e9$402451e0$1865a8c0@default> "Stefan Rausch"
<raus...@metronet.de> writes:

> Bitte fallen Sie nicht auf diese ILLEGALEN KETTENBRIEFE herein.

God I love German! Especially when it is SUNG.

Ned

(P.S. "But your majesty, German is too BRUTAL for singing!")

Pete Watters

Jan 3, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/3/97

Jemal writes:

> ned...@ix.netcom.com(Ned Ludd ) wrote:
>
> : (P.S. "But your majesty, German is too BRUTAL for singing!")
>
> German is the perfect language to beat people in.

The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!

> Jemal (But I make do with English...)

Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!

Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
--
http://www.primenet.com/~watters
Home of the El Dupree short-story contest.

Jemaleddin S. Cole

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:

: > German is the perfect language to beat people in.

: The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!

I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

1. This is my pencil.

2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

3. It is cold and windy.

From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
just angry English with a bad accent.

: > Jemal (But I make do with English...)

: Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!

Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

: Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)

Huh?

Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Pete Watters

Jan 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/4/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>
> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
> just angry English with a bad accent.
>
> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)
> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>
> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and
beggin' for a fight. Right?

Pete

KJNL

Jan 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/5/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL
Every situation is a passing memory. (Pema Chodron)

The Eldritch Dolphknob

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Pete Watters wrote:

: > 1. This is my pencil.
: Und zis ist its erazer!

Und zis ist its point! Smack!

: > 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
: Und Ich liebe dich, too.

Gee, Pete, I didn't know you swung that way...

: > 3. It is cold and windy.
: Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

Hold me! =-)

: > Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish

: > are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...
: Usually at gunpoint.

I've noticed that any time you give
someone in the middle east a gun,
they hold it over their head and scream.

(Anybody seen Stargate?)

: > : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)

: > Huh?
: Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

Huh?

: > Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)
: Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and

: beggin' for a fight. Right?

Jemal (Un deux trois, je vais dans le bois)

Pete Watters

Jan 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/6/97

Jemal writes:

> Pete Watters wrote:
> : > 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
> : Und Ich liebe dich, too.
>
> Gee, Pete, I didn't know you swung that way...

Well, er, um, I don't really.
But, like the bumper sticker says, I may be straight, but I'm not narrow.

KJNL

Jan 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/8/97

Me:

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Mariah:
>Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :
>"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
>there.

Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your
hands' in Japanese.
Now THAT was useful.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.

karen

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

On Sat, 04 Jan 1997 22:18:30 GMT, dlph...@smart.net (Jemaleddin S.
Cole) wrote:

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

This may be just a little more than we wanted to know, Jemal.

Oh dear.

karen

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

karen wrote:

: >2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
: This may be just a little more than we wanted to know, Jemal.

This may be a bad time to admit this, but I have
a plastic inflatable sheep... It was a birthday
gift from a friend in the area... We keep it in our
dining room to set the tone for the apartment.

: Oh dear.

No, ewe.

Jemal

Pete.Watters

Jan 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/9/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>

> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>

> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is

> just angry English with a bad accent.
>
> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)
> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>

> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and
beggin' for a fight. Right?

Pete

--
http://www.primenet.com/~watters
Home of the El Dupree short-story contest.

---

KJNL

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

janL

---

dar westlake

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

On Thu, 09 Jan 1997 02:10:00 GMT, ma...@smart.net (karen) wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jan 1997 22:18:30 GMT, dlph...@smart.net (Jemaleddin S.
>Cole) wrote:
>

>>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
>

>This may be just a little more than we wanted to know, Jemal.
>

>Oh dear.

Is it a wooly plastic sheep?
Or just one of those cheap sheep?

dar westlake
infoserve.net!duhh
* emptiness is a dead beer *

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

ka...@cyberpass.net (Mariah Kaze) wrote:

: >>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
: You are indeed bi-lingual.

Well, yes, but that's not counting German.

: >>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)
: Define "handsome".

I didn't say handsome. I said guapo.

: >2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)
: No, No janl. Por favor, dame todos sus novios! (Please give me all
: your boyfriends. Who wants turnips?)

Where's a pen.... Gotta write that down...

: I don't want to know either. Adios.

Liar!

Jemal

Pete.Watters

Jan 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/10/97

Jemal writes:

> Pete Watters wrote:
> : > 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

> : Und Ich liebe dich, too.
>
> Gee, Pete, I didn't know you swung that way...

Well, er, um, I don't really.
But, like the bumper sticker says, I may be straight, but I'm not narrow.

Pete

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

janL wrote:

: Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your

: hands' in Japanese.
: Now THAT was useful.

Itsumo shuniyati yorokobi nasai.

(Rejoice in the Lord always)

Karaoke

(Give me a song)

: Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.

=-(

Jemal

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:

: > : > 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
: > : Und Ich liebe dich, too.
: > Gee, Pete, I didn't know you swung that way...
: Well, er, um, I don't really.
: But, like the bumper sticker says, I may be straight, but I'm not narrow.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I don't mind straight
people as long as they act gay in public.

Jemal (Cause otherwise they make me uncomfortable)

Pete.Watters

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>

> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>

> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
> just angry English with a bad accent.
>
> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)
> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>
> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and

beggin' for a fight. Right?

Pete

KJNL

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when

we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL

KJNL

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Me:

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Mariah:

>Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :
>"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
>there.

Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your

hands' in Japanese.
Now THAT was useful.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.

janL

KJNL

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL

Pete.Watters

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>

> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
> just angry English with a bad accent.
>
> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)
> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>
> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and

karen

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Cole) wrote:

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

This may be just a little more than we wanted to know, Jemal.

Oh dear.

karen
---

Pete.Watters

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>
> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
> just angry English with a bad accent.
>
> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)
> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>
> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and
beggin' for a fight. Right?

Pete
--
http://www.primenet.com/~watters
Home of the El Dupree short-story contest.
---

---

Pete.Watters

Jan 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/11/97

Jemal writes:

> ned...@ix.netcom.com(Ned Ludd ) wrote:
>
> : (P.S. "But your majesty, German is too BRUTAL for singing!")
>

> German is the perfect language to beat people in.

The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!

> Jemal (But I make do with English...)

Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!

Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

infoserve.net!duhh (dar westlake) wrote:

: >>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
: >This may be just a little more than we wanted to know, Jemal.
: >Oh dear.
: Is it a wooly plastic sheep?

: Or just one of those cheap sheep?

It's cheap. Not too baaaaaaad though.

Jemal (What did you expect? The Spanish Inquisition?)

Vince *

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

KJNL wrote:

> I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
> we went to Mexico recently...
>
> 1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
> squeezing my feet.)
>
> 2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)
>
> Neither phrase came in at all useful.

I only know a couple of spanish phrases, both of which may get me
arrested. The first, which say "I am a member of the Shining Path
terrorist organsisation", is something I once said to a housemate by
randomly putting phonetics together. He spun around breathing hard,
eyes bulging, and said "WHAT!". After that, it seemed like a good idea
to actually learn a few phrases, so I got him to translate this:

"Vi un mono caciando en el zoologico semana passado. Pensaba que era
muy sexy. ¿Quieres ir a casa conmigo?"

For full effect, one should imagine it being said in a guttaral voice
coming from the stall next to you in a public bathroom. Come to think
of it, this might be a great phrase for El Dupree.

Since this initial translation, there has been an ongoing project to
translate it into as many languages a s possible. So far we have
English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Japanese, and Urdu, the
national language of Pakistan.

If I do not post again, it is because I have been arrested for posting
this. In that case, it's beem fun. ;)

-Vince ("Soy esa malo como poyu(?) de Phillipé")

Vince *

Jan 13, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/13/97

> Jemal (What did you expect? The Spanish Inquisition?)

<WHIPCRACK!>

NOONE expects the Spanish Inquisition!

-Vince

KJNL

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

Vince:

>"Vi un mono caciando en el zoologico semana passado. Pensaba que era
>muy sexy. Quieres ir a casa conmigo?"

hmm...i went singing to the zoo last week...i think they were sexy...you
wanna come home with me?

no, i'm missing something in that first sentence...

janL
None of us is okay and all of us are fine....(Pema Chodron).

Mariah Kaze

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

On 8 Jan 1997 16:32:46 GMT, kj...@aol.com (KJNL) wrote:

[del]

>Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your
>hands' in Japanese.
>Now THAT was useful.
>
>Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.
>
>janL

I learned Silent Night in German an La Cucaracha in grade school and I
remember most of both of them. And Frere Jacque. But I have not once
had occaision to sing those songs other than for my children when they
were small ( collicky babys don't care what you sing or even if you
can) since then. Actually a good memory - thanks Jan :)

>Every situation is a passing memory. (Pema Chodron)

Mariah Kaze
__
Doctors call what they do "practice"?

Mariah Kaze

Jan 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/14/97

On Fri, 10 Jan 1997 10:12:46 GMT, dlph...@smart.net (Manella Bute
Smedley) wrote:

>ka...@cyberpass.net (Mariah Kaze) wrote:
>
>: >>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>: You are indeed bi-lingual.
>
>Well, yes, but that's not counting German.

Oh, how many languages do you speak - as you can see, I speak one and
it's not Spanish :)

>: >>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)
>: Define "handsome".
>
>I didn't say handsome. I said guapo.

Well, according to my dictionary, guapo means handsome, good-looking,
flashy, sporty, bold and daring also bully gallant, lady's man. Now
why would Jemal be interested in a lady's man? Hey, I was right - just
not thorough :) Now what did you mean?

[del]

> boyfriends. Who wants turnips?)
>
>Where's a pen.... Gotta write that down...

:)

>: I don't want to know either. Adios.
>
>Liar!
>
>Jemal

Am not! <pout>

Don't you dare tell me now.

Vince

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

KJNL wrote:

> Vince:
> >"Vi un mono caciando en el zoologico semana passado. Pensaba que era
> >muy sexy. Quieres ir a casa conmigo?"
>
> hmm...i went singing to the zoo last week...i think they were sexy...you
> wanna come home with me?
>
> no, i'm missing something in that first sentence...

Mono = monkey. caciando= shitting. But the rest was pretty acurate.

New translation! New translation!

The day I posted it, I got some mail from Ecuador where my friend spent
some time living with a native group for a few days doing some
environmental research.

The dialect is called "Quicha".

"Ñuacha intmllama huihuaquinchapi ricurani. Intillamaca ismata ruraca,
Ñucaca yapa sumac yuyarcani. Quiquinca huasita rina ñucahuan
munanquichu."

Literally "I saw a monkey in the zoo. The monkey was making shit. I
thought it was really sexy. Do you want to come home with me?"

How the phrase came into existance:

One day I thought about how inapropriate it would be to say "Hi" to the
person in the public bathroom stall next to mine. As I restrained a
chuckle, It occured to me (sort of at random) that it would be even more
innapropriate to say the above phrase, at which point I had to restrain
from full blown laughter at the thought of someone being ina bathroom
stall and hearing someone say in a gutteral voice "I saw a monkey
shittin' at the zoo last week. Thought it was real sexy. Wanna come
home with me?".

Hmmm... I still haven't been arrested yet. What's this world coming
too? ;)

-Vince. (I didn't really think it was sexy, by the way.)

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 15, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/15/97

kj...@aol.com (KJNL) wrote:

: 1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are

: squeezing my feet.)
: 2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Strangely enough, I can see you saying that to a Mexican...

I know I would.

: Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Whereas all three of mine would come in handy in Germany.

: (I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
: mystery.)

That's enough of a request for me...
You see, a friend of mine decided...

Oh never mind.

Jemal

Pete.Watters

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.

> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>

> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>

> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
> just angry English with a bad accent.
>

> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)

> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>

> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and

beggin' for a fight. Right?

Pete

--
http://www.primenet.com/~watters
Home of the El Dupree short-story contest.
---

---

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Me:

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Mariah:

>Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :
>"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
>there.

Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your

hands' in Japanese.
Now THAT was useful.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.

janL

Every situation is a passing memory. (Pema Chodron)

---

---

dar.westlake

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

On Thu, 09 Jan 1997 02:10:00 GMT, ma...@smart.net (karen) wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jan 1997 22:18:30 GMT, dlph...@smart.net (Jemaleddin S.
>Cole) wrote:
>

>>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
>

>This may be just a little more than we wanted to know, Jemal.
>
>Oh dear.

Is it a wooly plastic sheep?
Or just one of those cheap sheep?

dar westlake
infoserve.net!duhh
* emptiness is a dead beer *

---

Mariah.Kaze

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

On 5 Jan 1997 05:56:20 GMT, kj...@aol.com (KJNL) wrote:

>Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
>>1. This is my pencil.
>

>>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
>

>>3. It is cold and windy.

You are indeed bi-lingual.

>>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Define "handsome".

>I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
>we went to Mexico recently...

Lucky dog.

>1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
>squeezing my feet.)

Sheesh - high school Spanish - wish I'd had it then instead of having
to take it now. This is definitely something I would have said when I
was in Mexico if only I'd known how tho.

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

No, No janl. Por favor, dame todos sus novios! (Please give me all
your boyfriends. Who wants turnips?)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :

"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
there.

>(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
>mystery.)
>
>janL

I don't want to know either. Adios.

Mariah Kaze
__
Doctors call what they do "practice"?

---

Pete.Watters

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>

> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Und Ich liebe dich, too.

> 3. It is cold and windy.

Baby, baby, es ist kalt outside.

> From these examples, I'm convinced that German is
> just angry English with a bad accent.
>
> : > Jemal (But I make do with English...)
> : Now, Turkish, there's a language to beat people in!
>
> Ya basha, ya bay... The only good things in Turkish
> are the things they ripped off from the Arabs...

Usually at gunpoint.

> : Pete (Immer Spass mit Guenter Grass!)
>
> Huh?

Always fun with Guenter Grass! (You haven't read "The Tin Drum"?)

> Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Hello, Isabel. Juan is tres fromagged off (remember than one, P.K.?) and

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Me:

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Mariah:

>Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :
>"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
>there.

Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your

dar.westlake

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

On Thu, 09 Jan 1997 02:10:00 GMT, ma...@smart.net (karen) wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jan 1997 22:18:30 GMT, dlph...@smart.net (Jemaleddin S.
>Cole) wrote:
>

>>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Pete.Watters

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal wanders off into the cold regions of linguistics:

> wat...@primenet.com (Pete Watters) wrote:
>
> : > German is the perfect language to beat people in.
> : The language of Schiller, Goethe, Rilke... aggghhhh, sputter, choke!!!!
>
> I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
> 1. This is my pencil.

Und zis ist its erazer!

> 2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Pete.Watters

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

---

---

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when

we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL

Every situation is a passing memory. (Pema Chodron)
---

---

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Me:

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Mariah:

>Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :
>"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
>there.

Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your
hands' in Japanese.
Now THAT was useful.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.

janL

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Me:

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Mariah:

>Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :
>"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
>there.

Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your
hands' in Japanese.
Now THAT was useful.

Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.

janL

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL

Every situation is a passing memory. (Pema Chodron)
---

---

Mariah.Kaze

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

On 5 Jan 1997 05:56:20 GMT, kj...@aol.com (KJNL) wrote:

>Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):
>
>>1. This is my pencil.
>
>>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.
>
>>3. It is cold and windy.

You are indeed bi-lingual.

>>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

Define "handsome".

>I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when
>we went to Mexico recently...

Lucky dog.

>1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
>squeezing my feet.)

Sheesh - high school Spanish - wish I'd had it then instead of having

to take it now. This is definitely something I would have said when I
was in Mexico if only I'd known how tho.

>2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

No, No janl. Por favor, dame todos sus novios! (Please give me all
your boyfriends. Who wants turnips?)

>Neither phrase came in at all useful.

Not surprising - I bought a phrase book and never once got to say :

"Necesito una bombilla" ( I need a lightbulb) either time I went
there.

>(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
>mystery.)
>
>janL

I don't want to know either. Adios.

KJNL

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

Jemal (baa...@sheep.net) wrote:
>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

>1. This is my pencil.

>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

>3. It is cold and windy.

>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)

I could only remember a few things from high-school Spanish classes when

we went to Mexico recently...

1. Me aprietan mis zapatos. (My shoes hurt. Literally: My shoes are
squeezing my feet.)

2. Por favor, dame todos sus nabos. (Please give me all your turnips.)

Neither phrase came in at all useful.

(I *refuse* to ask about the rubber sheep. It will have to remain a
mystery.)

janL

dar.westlake

Jan 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/16/97

On Thu, 09 Jan 1997 02:10:00 GMT, ma...@smart.net (karen) wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Jan 1997 22:18:30 GMT, dlph...@smart.net (Jemaleddin S.
>Cole) wrote:
>

>>2. You are my rubber-sheep; I love my rubber sheep.

Walter F. Clark

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

On Wed 15th Jan 1997 Vince wrote

> KJNL wrote:

<snip>

> One day I thought about how inapropriate it would be to say "Hi" to
the
> person in the public bathroom stall next to mine.

Saying Hi isn't too bad, it's when you offer to shake hands that they
start to worry.

^
/ / \/
_/ /------ ||
======= <
======= /
__ =======
\------

(It's true, some people get really uptight about it) <:-\

>at which point I had to restrain
> from full blown laughter at the thought of someone being ina bathroom
> stall and hearing someone say in a gutteral voice "I saw a monkey
> shittin' at the zoo last week. Thought it was real sexy. Wanna come
> home with me?".
>

> -Vince. (I didn't really think it was sexy, by the way.)

Not even un poco senor? (Hay que intenta todo una vez amigo, no?)

Walter (Pedro the Fisherman)
------
The rank is but the guinea's stamp, the man's the gowd for a' that. -
Robert Burns> (gold)

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

ka...@cyberpass.net (Mariah Kaze) wrote:

: >Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it clap your
: >hands' in Japanese.
: I learned Silent Night in German an La Cucaracha in grade school and I

: remember most of both of them. And Frere Jacque.

Let's see, I can do "Frere Jacque" and "Sur le pont D'Avignon"
in French, "Ode to Joy" in German, and in Swedish I can do
"Children of the Heavenly Father", "Thanks to God for My
Redeemer" and "Lyssna"...

Not that I get much of a chance, mind you...

Jemal (But I can't spell any of 'em!)

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

ka...@cyberpass.net (Mariah Kaze) wrote:

: >: >>I can say three things in German (but not spell them):

: >: You are indeed bi-lingual.

: >Well, yes, but that's not counting German.
: Oh, how many languages do you speak - as you can see, I speak one and
: it's not Spanish :)

Well, I used to speak French, and I took
a teensy bit of Spanish, but since Arabic,
nothing else sticks. (And that sucks)

: >: >>Jemal (Hola Isabel. Juan es muy guapo.)
: >: Define "handsome".

: >I didn't say handsome. I said guapo.
: Well, according to my dictionary, guapo means handsome, good-looking,
: flashy, sporty, bold and daring also bully gallant, lady's man. Now
: why would Jemal be interested in a lady's man? Hey, I was right - just
: not thorough :) Now what did you mean?

Look, I didn't say that guapo didn't mean
handsome. I said that I didn't say handsome.

Besides, when I think guapo, it's entirely different
from handsome.

: >: I don't want to know either. Adios.
: >Liar!
: >Jemal
: Am not! <pout>

Sorry! (Liar!)

: Don't you dare tell me now.

What was the question?

Jemal

Vince

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Mariah Kaze wrote:

> On 14 Jan 1997 15:56:51 GMT, kj...@aol.com (KJNL) wrote:
>
> >Vince:
> >>"Vi un mono caciando en el zoologico semana passado. Pensaba que era
> >>muy sexy. Quieres ir a casa conmigo?"
>
> Vi= I saw. Mono/a is a monkey (or a blonde, you pick) and cachondo
> refers to dogs in rut or having sex. So, Looks like.......

Hmm. Now I can make a nasty pun of a nasty line in Spanish. Thanks!

> Yeah, but you got 'em all in the last one, I think. Vincente estuvo
> un viejo verde, verdad?

I have to write to Ecaudor to get that translated, you realise. :)

That's rather poetic, actually. Lots of consonance and stuff.

-Vince

Paul Kilzer

Jan 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/17/97

Walter F. Clark wrote:

> Anyone for a chorus of 'Guantanamera'?....

Yes!!
Yo soy un hombre sincero
De donde crece La Palma

Yo soy un hombre sincero
De donde crece La Palma

Guantanamera
Huajira Guantanamera ...

Ahhhhh, I feel so warm and languid...

-P.K.

Walter F. Clark

Jan 18, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/18/97

On Tue 14 Jan 1997 06:51:41 GMT, ka...@cyberpass.net (Mariah Kaze)
wrote:
> On 8 Jan 1997 16:32:46 GMT, kj...@aol.com (KJNL) wrote:
>
> [del]

> >Somebody once taught me to sing 'If you're happy and you know it
clap your
> >hands' in Japanese.

> >Now THAT was useful.
> >
> >Unfortunately, I've forgotten it.
> >
> >janL
>

> I learned Silent Night in German an La Cucaracha in grade school and

> remember most of both of them. And Frere Jacque. But I have not
once
> had occaision to sing those songs other than for my children when
they
> were small ( collicky babys don't care what you sing or even if you
> can) since then. Actually a good memory - thanks Jan :)

My couple of years in a Male Voice Choir taught me 'Wilhelmus van
Nassauwe' in Dutch (it's their National Anthem apparently), 'Dana Dana'
in Hungarian, 'Tra Vichka Zelena' in Czech and 'Epitaph to John Jaybird
of Diss' in a mixture of English and Mediaeval Church Latin (*really*
weird song).

But my favourite musical memory is singing Orff's 'Carmina Burana' in
the choir at school. It's mostly in Latin and apparently fairly lewd,
but my Latin ain't up to understanding too much of it. I still sing my
favourite bits in my bath/car/head or in front of the telly when it
comes on. (Do they use it in as many adverts/programmes in the US as
the do here? (UK)) ?:o)

I used to sing :^O to my kids to send them to sleep when they were
little, 'The Castle o' Drumore' (a Scottish lullaby) was my favourite,
but when they grew up enough to realise that the awful noise was not
two cats in the street fighting over a squeaky toy but was coming from
me I had to stop.

Still, sounded good to me. Is this due to impressive powers of
self-delusion or some form of selective audio-filter/selective
distortion mechanism in the human ear?

Anyone for a chorus of 'Guantanamera'?....

..thought not.

Walter

The rank is but the guinea's stamp, the man's the gowd for a' that. -

Robert Burns_____________________________________(gold)____________

PS I also learnt 'Stille Nacht' in school German class and now cannot
remember the English version.

Walter F. Clark

Jan 19, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/19/97

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997 Paul Kilzer <pki...@cisco.com> sang:

> Walter F. Clark wrote:
> >
> > Anyone for a chorus of 'Guantanamera'?....
> >

> Yes!!
> Yo soy un hombre sincero
> De donde crece La Palma
>
> Yo soy un hombre sincero
> De donde crece La Palma
>
> Guantanamera
> Huajira Guantanamera ...
>

> Ahhhhh, I feel so warm and languid...

A mariachi band playing on the beach outside my door wakes me from
my third siesta of the day.

If only I had the energy to drag myself out of this hammock & stumble
over the empty tequila bottles to the kitchen to fry up some tacos.

Manana....perhaps.

Walter ('Speedy' Gonzalez)
--------------------------

Manella Bute Smedley

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Vince <vbe...@chat.careton.ca> wrote:

: One day I thought about how inapropriate it would be to say "Hi" to the

: person in the public bathroom stall next to mine.

"I haven't a square to spare."

(How do women do that?)

: "I saw a monkey shittin' at the zoo last week. Thought

: it was real sexy. Wanna come home with me?".

"My neighbor's dog has a four inch clit."

"One day I looked at my asshole in a mirror. It blew
my fucking mind!"

: Hmmm... I still haven't been arrested yet. What's this world coming
: too? ;)

I have no idea... But I'm calling the cops in any case.

Jemal (Seinfeld/Sandler - all the same to me...)

Vince

Jan 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM1/21/97

Manella Bute Smedley wrote:

> Vince <vbe...@chat.careton.ca> wrote:

> : "I saw a monkey shittin' at the zoo last week. Thought
> : it was real sexy. Wanna come home with me?".
>
> "My neighbor's dog has a four inch clit."
>
> "One day I looked at my asshole in a mirror. It blew
> my fucking mind!"
>
> : Hmmm... I still haven't been arrested yet. What's this world coming
> : too? ;)
>
> I have no idea... But I'm calling the cops in any case.
>
> Jemal (Seinfeld/Sandler - all the same to me...)

Arrghhh. Sandler. I bought that album... I traded it for a Bryan Adams album I wanted to
get rid of it so much. I thought I recognized those lines.

-Vince (It would have been funny if he had translated them, though.)