This is the bagel recipe I used. Jo-Ann

Jo-Ann

Jul 23, 2001, 9:11:07 PM7/23/01
NEW YORK-STYLE BAGELS

1 potato, peeled and quartered
2 cups boiling water
1 package active dry yeast
4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon salt
1+1/2 tablespoons sugar

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 large eggs
cornmeal
2 quarts water
1 egg white (optional)

Put potato into boiling water and boil for 15 minutes. Discard
potato and let water cool to about 110 degrees F.

Transfer 1/3 cup of the potato water to a small bowl. Sprinkle
yeast over top of water and stir to combine. Set aside for 3
minutes.

Sift flour, salt, and 1/2 tablespoon of the sugar together into a
large bowl. Add yeast mixture. Stir in another 2/3 cup of the
potato water and the oil. Add eggs one at a time and stir briskly
until a dough ball is formed.

Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead for about ten
minutes until dough ball is firm, adding a little extra flour if
needed. Place in a greased bowl, turning the dough so all sides
are greased. Cover the bowl with a clean towel and set aside in
a warm place for about 1 hour until dough has risen to double its
original size. Punch the risen dough down to flatten and remove
from bowl.

Cut dough into 18 equal pieces and shape each piece into a 6- to
7-inch-long, 3/4-inch-thick rope. Bring the ends of one rope
together and pinch closed. (A little water on the ends will help
secure them.) Repeat until 18 rings are formed. Cover all rings
with the towel and let rise for 20 minutes.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Lightly grease a cookie sheet and
dust with cornmeal.

Bring the 2 quarts water to a boil. Add the remaining tablespoon
of sugar to the boiling water. Drop the bagels into the water one
at a time, cooking each for 3 minutes, turning once. As each bagel
is removed from the water, place it on the cookie sheet. If desired,
paint the tops of the bagels with 1 egg white that has been beaten
with 1 teaspoon water. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until golden
brown.

Dick Margulis

Jul 23, 2001, 6:26:18 PM7/23/01
Jo-Ann,

You're making approximately two pounds of dough and cutting it into 18
bagels. These are very small bagels. Also, you are making egg bagels,
which is fine if you like egg bagels. (I happen to like them once in a
while, but these are not what most people think of first when they think
of bagels.)

I think you're over-proofing, as Alan suggested, and three minutes
sounds like a long time to boil them, as both Alan and twinky suggested.

If you want to stick with this egg bagel recipe, I'd suggest proofing
them less (to get a smaller bagel) and cutting the dough into fewer
pieces (certainly no more than twelve, as few as eight if you like big
bagels).

Dick

Jo-Ann

Jul 23, 2001, 9:49:47 PM7/23/01
I am actually making them larger and I don't get 18 from the recipe. I found
another recipe for "Israeli Bagels" which do not have eggs and they are not
boiled before baking. Do they HAVE to be boiled first? I also make them
sometimes with sour dough starter rather than commercial yeast but that's
for another group. ;-))) Thank you in advance for the answers and the help.
Jo-Ann
--
Invalid address-Please post request to e-mail me.
"Dick Margulis" <marg...@fiam.net> wrote in message

Dick Margulis

Jul 23, 2001, 7:00:56 PM7/23/01
If you don't boil them, they're just tough doughnuts, not bagels ;-)

Boiling puts the finish on the crust, seals it, and helps stabilize the
shape. When you then put the bagel into the hot oven the trapped gases
expand rapidly and produce the final shape.

Twinky wants you to put soda in the water. Others put lye in the water
(same idea). Others use salt. Others use malt. Each produced different
results.

As for using a sourdough starter, well, in the same category with egg
bagels (that is, novelties, but with some tradition behind them) are
pumpernickel bagels and rye bagels. These are made from sour rye and
pumpernickel bread doughs, with their bagelness deriving from the
shaping and boiling, not from anything special about the recipe; so I
don't see any reason not to use a sourdough if you want to. Personally,
though, my favorite bagels are fairly sweet, very malty, not sour at
all. YMMV.

Scott

Jul 23, 2001, 8:35:01 PM7/23/01
In article <9ji77b$eqi$1...@slb5.atl.mindspring.net>,
"Jo-Ann" <J...@riverrun.com> wrote:

> NEW YORK-STYLE BAGELS
>
> 1 potato, peeled and quartered

The potato will might a lighter, more airy bagel--not New York style,
though.

Alan Zelt

Jul 23, 2001, 8:50:44 PM7/23/01

Oy veh!!! An egg bagel is nothing like what we were all assuming. I
speak for me, not the others, but I do NOT believe in boiling egg
bagels. For me, they get proofed, prepared(wash, toppings) and popped
into the oven. This type of bagel, with its too long boil for either
type of bagel, will give the results that you have had happen.

Another area of concern/interest is the use of a potato. Not something I
see in most bagels.

I would suggest that you replace the sugar with either malt powder or
syrup.

Also, the recipe appears to me to be designed for 12 bagels, not 18.

One last question for you. Did you want to make an egg bagel, or was it
just the recipe that you chose to make a bagel?

If you want to make egg bagels, I suggest you get George Greenstein's
Secrets of a Jewish Baker. As for water bagels, I have tried numerous
reccipes over the years (it is in my genes). Here is the one that I have
chosen to be my "ultimate" water bagel:

* Exported from MasterCook *

Classic Water Bagels

Recipe By : Peter Reinhart, Fine Cooking, March 2001
Serving Size : 12 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Bread

FOR THE SPONGE:
18 oz. unbleached high-gluten flour (or bread -- (4
cups)
flour)
1 tsp. instant or quick-rise yeast
2 1/2 cups lukewarm water (about 70F)
FOR THE BAGEL DOUGH:
1/2 tsp. instant or quick-rise yeast
18 oz. about -- (4 cups) unbleached
high-gluten flour (or bread flour);
more as needed
3/4 oz salt (1 to 1 1/2 Tbs. -- depending on the
coarseness) 2 tsp. malt powder or 1 Tbs.
malt syrup, honey, or brown sugar
FOR SHAPING -- BOILING & BAKING:
Vegetable oil spray
1 Tbs baking soda
Cornmeal or semolina flour
Sesame seeds -- poppy seeds, kosher
salt, finely chopped onions tossed
1 in a little oil -- or rehydrated dried
minced garlic for topping the
bagels

To make the sponge:In a 4-qt. bowl, mix the flour and the 1 tsp. yeast.
Add the water, whisking or stirring only until it forms a smooth,
sticky dough (it should be thick but batter-like). Cover with plastic
wrap and leave at room temperature until the mixture is very foamy and
bubbly, 1 to 2 hours. It should swell to nearly double in size and
collapse when the bowl is tapped on the counter.

To make the bagel dough: In a stand mixer bowl (or in a mixing bowl, if
kneading by hand), stir together the sponge and the 1/2 tsp. yeast. In a
bowl, mix to­gether 3 cups of the flour with the salt. Add it to the
sponge, along with the malt, honey, or sugar. Using a dough hook, mix on
the lowest speed, or knead by hand, slowly working in the re­maining
flour until the dough is stiff, dry, and almost satiny; you may need
extra flour or have some leftover. Keep kneading on low until the dough
is very stiff and firm but still pliable, satiny, and smooth, about 6
mm, by machine or 15 mm. by hand. If the dough rides up the hook, stop
the machine, pull it down, add a bit of flour, and continue. When the
machine starts to struggle, remove the dough and finish
kneading by hand. The dough at this point should be much stiffer than
French bread dough and shouldn’t be tacky-a finger poked into the dough
should come out clean. There shouldn’t be any visible raw flour, and
the dough will feel neither cool nor warm, about 80F.

To check the dough, pinch off a small piece and gently stretch it while
turning it. It should form a thin, translucent membrane. If it rips, the
dough hasn’t been kneaded enough or else it’s too dry and needs a few
drops of water.

Divide the dough into 1 2 pieces, each weighing about 4 3/4 oz. for
regular bagels. (For mini bagels, divide it into 24 pieces, each
weighing just under 2 1/2 oz.) Wipe the counter with a damp towel to
remove any flour dust. Shape each piece into a smooth ball by pulling
the dough down and around to one point on the bottom and ther pinching
the bottom closed. Cover with a damp towel and let rest for 20 mm. so
the gluten relaxes.

To shape, boil, and bake the bagels: Line two baking sheets with
parchment and spray the paper with vegetable oil.

To shape the bagels, poke a hole in the center of each ball of dough
with your thumb and then gently rotate the dough around both thumbs,
slightly squeezing and stretching the dough little by little as you turn
until the hole has enlarged to 1 1/2 to 2 inches. The dough ring should
be an even thickness all around.

Set the shaped bagels on the prepared pans so they’re 2 inches apart.
Mist the bagels very lightly with vegetable oil and cover the pans with
plastic (the wrap keeps the dough from developing a skin, which would
restrict the rise). Let the bagels sit at room temperature until they
swell slightly, by about 15 to 20%. Start checking them after 15 mm.,
doing the "float test" to see if they’re ready to be retarded in the
refrigerator.

To do the float test, fill a bowl with cold water. Drop one bagel in the
water. If it floats within 10 seconds, the bagels are ready for the
overnight rise, or retarding. Pat dry the tester bagel and return it to
the pan. (If it doesn’t float within 10 seconds, shake or pat it dry,
return it to the pan, and test it again every 10 mm. until it floats.)

Refrigerate the pans, still covered, for at least 8 hours, or up to 2
days.

When you’re ready to bake the bagels, heat the oven to 500F. Bring a
large pot of water to a boil (the wider the pot, the better), and add
the baking soda(or malt syrup); have ready a slotted spoon or skimmer.
Remove one pan of bagels from the fridge. Slide the parchment along with
the dough onto the counter. Line the pan with a clean sheet of
parchment, mist with vegetable oil, and sprinkle with cornmeal or
semolina flour(Chef Z says his approach is meshuganah. Get European
style parchment and use.
It does not require oiling and sprinkling.)

Gently drop the bagels into the water (it doesn’t matter which side goes
in first), boiling only as many as will comfortably fit; they should
float, within 10 seconds, if not im­mediately. Boil for 1 mm., flip them
over, and boil for another 1 mm. As the bagels finish cooking, lift them
out with the skimmer and set them on the baking sheet with the cornmeal
or semolina, top side up. If you’re sprinkling sesame or poppy seeds,
kosher salt, chopped onions, or minced garlic on the bagels(or all the
above as, as Chef Z does), do so now. (Go easy on the salt.)

When the bagels on the first pan are boiled and topped, bake for 10 mm.,
rotate the pan for even browning, and then continue baking until golden
brown on top and bottom and very firm, about another 5 mm. Remove the
pan from the oven and transfer the bagels to a cooling rack. Let cool
for at least 10 mm. Meanwhile, remove the second pan of bagels from the
fridge and boil and bake them the same way.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES : Look for malt syrup at natural food stores under the name barley
malt syrup and for malt powder at beer- making supply shops or through
baking catalogs. Be sure to use instant or quick-rise yeast (available
in most supermarkets), not active dry. Yields 12 large or 24 mini
bagels. My note: I am torn about his specifying quick rise yeast. I
think that the best flavor comes with a longer, slower rise. What do you
think?

--
alan

Eliminate FINNFAN on reply.

"The pleasure of the table reigns among other pleasures, and it is
the last to console when others are lost."
--Brillat-Savarin

Alan Zelt

Jul 23, 2001, 8:51:27 PM7/23/01

You seem to be getting convoluted recipes. Boiling egg bagels, but not
water bagels. Reverse the order.