Green Mile -- starring Tom Hanks?

stevie canuck

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

Jackson wrote:

> stevie canuck wrote:
> >
> > Web Master wrote:
> >
> > > HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
> > > n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."
> > > The story is about a mentally challenged man -- convicted of
> > > murdering two children -- and his relationship with the guards
> > > on Death Row.
> >

> > Presumably Hanks would be playing Paul, and not John Coffey though!
> > One way or the other, I call it bad casting. Hanks is a fine actor, but
> > I can't get my head around him in this role. <shrug>
>
> I can't see Tom Hanks as Paul Edgecombe either, but I'll bet he
> could pull it off. My initial impressions have been wrong many
> times. I laughed when I first heard Michael Keaton was going to
> play Batman and when I heard Tom Cruise was going to play Lestat.
> I had to eat my words on both occasions. ;-)

's true. A good actor can do good things with most roles. I have been
wracking my brain, though, trying to think of a film in which Tom Hanks
played someone who could be seen as similar to a tough but intelligent
prison guard. Can't think of it, so it is almost impossible to know what
he would do with the role.

Stevie C

to e-mail me change .com to .ca
--
Now some people say you should not tempt fate,
And for them I would not disagree,

Web Master

Nov 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/20/97

Hanks Might Run With 'Mile'
Thursday, November 20, 1997

By Chris Petrikin and Paul Karon

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."

The story is about a mentally challenged man -- convicted of
murdering two children -- and his relationship with the guards
on Death Row.

Hanks would star in the Castle Rock project soon after he and
Meg Ryan complete "You Have Mail," which is expected to begin
production early next year.

Frank Darabont ("The Shawshank Redemption") will direct "The
Green Mile" from King's six-part "Green Mile" series, which
was published last year.

The film blends elements that have led to critical and financial
success for Hanks and Darabont. Darabont previously earned an Oscar
nomination for "Shawshank," which was based on a prison-set King
short story. And Hanks, of course, won his second, consecutive
Oscar for his portrayal of a mentally challenged man in "Forrest
Gump."

--
Bev Vincent
Houston, TX

Jared Head

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

Web Master (w...@pcjfn.msc.com) wrote:

: HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in

: n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."

Oh, no! I suppose at least a King movie is now guaranteed to win an
Oscar.

Jared

--
Jared Head at the Department of Biochemistry, University of Bristol

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human
history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila."
Mitch Ratliffe

Web Master

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

stevie canuck (ste...@rogerswave.com) wrote:
: Web Master wrote:

: > HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
: > n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."

: > The story is about a mentally challenged man -- convicted of

: > murdering two children -- and his relationship with the guards
: > on Death Row.

: (snippage)

: > The film blends elements that have led to critical and financial

: > success for Hanks and Darabont. Darabont previously earned an Oscar
: > nomination for "Shawshank," which was based on a prison-set King
: > short story. And Hanks, of course, won his second, consecutive
: > Oscar for his portrayal of a mentally challenged man in "Forrest
: > Gump."

: Presumably Hanks would be playing Paul, and not John Coffey though!

: One way or the other, I call it bad casting. Hanks is a fine actor, but
: I can't get my head around him in this role. <shrug>

I've had indpendent confirmation that Hanks has actually signed for
the part. Another name that I've heard bandied about, but no official
word yet, is that of Steve Buscemi.

Laura OS

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, stevie canuck wrote:

> 's true. A good actor can do good things with most roles. I have been
> wracking my brain, though, trying to think of a film in which Tom Hanks
> played someone who could be seen as similar to a tough but intelligent
> prison guard. Can't think of it, so it is almost impossible to know what
> he would do with the role.

Jeez. You mean you never saw the TV series, "Folsom Bosom Buddies"?
<BEG>

Laura

************************************
More funky factoids (an OT sig):

The Carpenters won more Grammy awards for "best pop group" then the
Beatles ever did.

Women live longest in Japan (74.2 years). 2nd place: Sweden (73.1 years).
Men live longest in Japan (79.7 years). 2nd place: Norway (79.4 years).

Chicken soup was considered an aphrodisiac in the Middle Ages.

Kim Murrell

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

In article <6546nl$2ti$2...@client2.news.psi.net>, b...@msc.com wrote:

>: Presumably Hanks would be playing Paul, and not John Coffey though!
>: One way or the other, I call it bad casting. Hanks is a fine actor, but
>: I can't get my head around him in this role. <shrug>
>
>I've had indpendent confirmation that Hanks has actually signed for
>the part. Another name that I've heard bandied about, but no official
>word yet, is that of Steve Buscemi.

Oh, yes! I was hoping he'd be cast in GM. I wonder if they want him for
Percy or Wild Bill?

Kim

--
"It was my turn to be silent while a small family of
moments crossed my path, single file, from the left,

The Walkin' Dude

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 11:13:52 GMT, bi...@zeus.bris.ac.uk (Jared Head)
wrote:

>Web Master (w...@pcjfn.msc.com) wrote:
>
>: HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
>: n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."
>

>Oh, no! I suppose at least a King movie is now guaranteed to win an
>Oscar.

Seems like it's about time...maybe then the critics would stop
labeling him "pop culture" and give the man the "critical" respect he
deserves...

ABSK Geek Code:
BB+TH+ST+++!D4IT+++IN+MI+
SH+++TA+FI-CG-DC-RM-RG-GM+
P+R++OT-DK?sk++C++++I+++OR-

Sin Pak WIng Daniel

Nov 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/21/97

Vegard wrote:

> <gag> I swore I'd never watch a Tom Hanks movie again after Forrest Gump!
>
> V.
Oh, didn't you enjoy Appollo 13? or would you rather watch another
re-run of Friday 13th?

D.S.

C.&P. WAESCHLE

Nov 22, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/22/97

I have to agree with most I really don't think Hanks could pull it off.
There has got to be someone who can handle this role better. Anyone remember
when Hanks wasn't as serious (sp) ? I do and I don't know if I can get
around that.
stevie canuck wrote in message <34750B...@rogerswave.com>...

>Jackson wrote:
>>
>> stevie canuck wrote:

>> > Presumably Hanks would be playing Paul, and not John Coffey though!
>> > One way or the other, I call it bad casting. Hanks is a fine actor, but
>> > I can't get my head around him in this role. <shrug>
>>
>> I can't see Tom Hanks as Paul Edgecombe either, but I'll bet he
>> could pull it off. My initial impressions have been wrong many
>> times. I laughed when I first heard Michael Keaton was going to
>> play Batman and when I heard Tom Cruise was going to play Lestat.
>> I had to eat my words on both occasions. ;-)
>

>'s true. A good actor can do good things with most roles. I have been
>wracking my brain, though, trying to think of a film in which Tom Hanks
>played someone who could be seen as similar to a tough but intelligent
>prison guard. Can't think of it, so it is almost impossible to know what
>he would do with the role.

Anne J.

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

In article <654iiu$j8g$1...@nntp2.ba.best.com>, ki...@mail.warped.com
says...

>In article <6546nl$2ti$2...@client2.news.psi.net>, b...@msc.com wrote:
>
>>: Presumably Hanks would be playing Paul, and not John Coffey though!

>>: One way or the other, I call it bad casting. Hanks is a fine actor,
but
>>: I can't get my head around him in this role. <shrug>
>>
>>I've had indpendent confirmation that Hanks has actually signed for
>>the part. Another name that I've heard bandied about, but no official
>>word yet, is that of Steve Buscemi.
>
>Oh, yes! I was hoping he'd be cast in GM. I wonder if they want him
for
>Percy or Wild Bill?
>
>Kim
>
>--
>"It was my turn to be silent while a small family of
>moments crossed my path, single file, from the left,
>sticking their tongues out at me.' -Roger Zelazny
>http://www.warped.com/~kimm

-- I'm still hoping that Forrest Whitaker gets cast. Any hope? Bev?

Anne J.
If Hank Hill is my neighbor,am I a cartoon?

Jon R.

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Jared Head wrote:

> Web Master (w...@pcjfn.msc.com) wrote:
>
> : HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
> : n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."
>
> Oh, no! I suppose at least a King movie is now guaranteed to win an
> Oscar.

If Tom Hanks can play a giant black man convincingly, he deserves
an Oscar!

Let him play the mouse, that's what I say.

Jon R.

Arjan Harlaar

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Jackson heeft geschreven in bericht <3474C4...@arn.net>...
>stevie canuck wrote:

>> Web Master wrote:
>>
>> > HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
>> > n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."

>> > The story is about a mentally challenged man -- convicted of
>> > murdering two children -- and his relationship with the guards
>> > on Death Row.

I love the phrase "mentally challenged", but anyway I read the green mile,
as I did with all Kings books and I find it hard to picture Tom Hanks in any
of the rolls.
May be Brad Pitt, he plays a lot of "mentally challenged" people

INXS:
Suicide blonde

Arjan Harlaar

Web Master

Nov 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/24/97

Jon R. (Jon.R...@nor.uib.noXXX) wrote:
: Jared Head wrote:
: >
: > Web Master (w...@pcjfn.msc.com) wrote:
: >
: > : HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Tom Hanks is in negotiations to star in
: > : n adaptation of Stephen King's prison novella "The Green Mile."
: >
: > Oh, no! I suppose at least a King movie is now guaranteed to win an
: > Oscar.

: If Tom Hanks can play a giant black man convincingly, he deserves
: an Oscar!

Apropos of very little...

The concept of having white actors playing non-white roles has been
a very controversial one lately. It came to a head when Miss Saigon
opened over here and there was a great hue and cry over the white
actors who were playing Vietnamese characters.

Patrick Stewart (Captain Picard) was very conscious of this problem,
but he wanted to play Othello, who is a black character, but didn't
want to stir up that particular kettle of fish. His solution? They
inverted the play so that all of the other characters were black and
he/Othello was the only white character. The play is running to very
good reviews in New York currently.

Margaret.L.Cowan

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97
to Jon R.

ahhhhhhh!

I'm so fed up with this

Diva

Nov 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/25/97
to JenTreloar

No, no, no! Tim Robbins, no, think older, fortyish,greaying blonde hair,
piercing blue eyes, heavyset, Not fat; just very solid. Someone with a
somewhat fatherly manner, quiet strength, and an air of decency.
Unfortuantely the only person I can come up with is Brian Dennehey and is
is totaly not who I am thinking of, but I'm drawing a blank on other
names. Of course there is the guy who just went back into the political
arena in the last few months. What_Is_His_Name!?

> Come to think of it, I could see Tim Robbins as Edgecombe. I think he is quite
> versatile as well.
>
> But I digress. I think Hanks is a tremendous talent and will do the role
> justice.
>
> Jen
>

> ABSK Geek Code:
> IN++++ ST++++ DZ++++ D1+++ D2+++ D3+++ ED+++ GM+++ !SH---- P+++
> R++++ OT- F- N+++ DK+ sk+++ ps+++ ar+++ cb+++ dk-- I GO+ OR+ ot++

Web Master

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

Diva (amcb...@toto.csustan.edu) wrote:
: No, no, no! Tim Robbins, no, think older, fortyish,greaying blonde hair,

: piercing blue eyes, heavyset, Not fat; just very solid. Someone with a
: somewhat fatherly manner, quiet strength, and an air of decency.
: Unfortuantely the only person I can come up with is Brian Dennehey and is
: is totaly not who I am thinking of, but I'm drawing a blank on other
: names. Of course there is the guy who just went back into the political
: arena in the last few months. What_Is_His_Name!?

Fred Thompson? Something like that...

Tayan

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Diva <amcb...@toto.csustan.edu> wrote:

>No, no, no! Tim Robbins, no, think older, fortyish,greaying blonde hair,
>piercing blue eyes, heavyset, Not fat; just very solid. Someone with a
>somewhat fatherly manner, quiet strength, and an air of decency.
>Unfortuantely the only person I can come up with is Brian Dennehey and is
>is totaly not who I am thinking of, but I'm drawing a blank on other

Harrison Ford. { :)

TGFStephenKing!
Tayan

--
Meet My Hero at http://www.singnet.com.sg/~liviafyk/ford.html

(To e-mail, remove "ma" from the address.)

David Rawsthorne

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997 11:18:51 +0100, "Jon R."
<Jon.R...@nor.uib.noXXX> wrote:

>If Tom Hanks can play a giant black man convincingly, he deserves
>an Oscar!

Well Ann Bates played Delores - A poor choice if I ever saw one.

>Let him play the mouse, that's what I say.

Now there's a thought!

Better still King may well make a cameo as the mouse this time (We go
see his movies just to see what character he plays!) Could be a bit of
a problem when the mouse get's a little squished!

Better still, Fry his ass as Wild Bill Wharton!

David Rawsthorne
Delta Electricity Home Page Administrator.
Visit us at: http://www.de.com.au/
Email Home: davi...@lisp.com.au
Email Work: David.Ra...@de.com.au

j...@cyberstreet.com

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

Brad Pitt as William Wharton would be perfect, in my opinion.

But (asking because I haven't much of a clue) how many King movies have
'big-name' stars in the cast?

j...@cyberstreet.com

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

And, though this may sound silly to many (or maybe all) of you, I think
a great choice for Paul Edgecombe would be Scott Bakula (sp?) from the
Quantum Leap series, despite the fact that he's not very well known...

stevie canuck

Nov 29, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/29/97

j...@cyberstreet.com wrote:

Let's see:

(Stand By Me)The Body ... Keifer Sutherland, Richard Dreyfuss, John
Cusack, River Phoenix

Misery ... Kathy Bates, James Cahn

Firestarter ... George C. Scott, Martin Sheen

The Dead Zone ... Martin Sheen, Christopher Walken

Shawshank Redemption ... Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman

Dolores Claiborne ... Kathy Bates, Christopher Plummer

The Shining(Kubrick) ... Jack Nicholson

Seems a pretty fair crew of actors all in all.

Chris R.

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

> Well Ann Bates played Delores - A poor choice if I ever saw one.

typo? or did you forget it was Kathy Bates who I think could play any
character in a Stephen King book and potray it perfectly!!

Mamie

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Chris R. <ckr...@charm.net> wrote in article
<01bcfd4f$c9ec94e0$9a3045c6@default>...

> > Well Ann Bates played Delores - A poor choice if I ever saw one.
> typo? or did you forget it was Kathy Bates who I think could play any
> character in a Stephen King book and potray it perfectly!!

IMHO, there is very little work you could offer to Ms. Bates
that she would not excel at. Anyone who knows anything about
the art & craft of acting recognizes her astounding talents.

Mamie

PS. She does bring SK women to life with nuance and depth
as few can.

Mamie

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

j...@cyberstreet.com wrote in article <348076...@cyberstreet.com>...

> And, though this may sound silly to many (or maybe all) of you, I think
> a great choice for Paul Edgecombe would be Scott Bakula (sp?) from the
> Quantum Leap series, despite the fact that he's not very well known...

**GASP of horror** Not well known? Good Grief....
Again, anyone who cares to know anything about quality acting
on screen or stage knows Scott Bakula.

The (apparently token) actor,

Mamie

Chris R.

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

> IMHO, there is very little work you could offer to Ms. Bates
> that she would not excel at. Anyone who knows anything about
> the art & craft of acting recognizes her astounding talents.
>
> Mamie
>
> PS. She does bring SK women to life with nuance and depth
> as few can.

Is it only me but did her performance in Dolores Claiborne make the movie?
With out her it would have horrible. It did bring me tears and I don't
think another actor could.

Augustine

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Okay, you forgot a whole bunch:

The Stand: Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe

It: John Ritter, Harry Anderson (Both TV actors, but still big name TV
actors)

Needful Things: Ed Harris

I'm also missing quite a few, but I can't think tonight, I mean this
morning.

Chris
Augustine

Maliki

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

j...@cyberstreet.com wrote in article <348075...@cyberstreet.com>...

> Brad Pitt as William Wharton would be perfect, in my opinion.
>
> But (asking because I haven't much of a clue) how many King movies have
> 'big-name' stars in the cast?

This one will, because its done by Frank Darabont, who snagged Tim Robbins
and Morgan Freeman for his directorial debut. That film, Shawshank,
pronounced him a genius, and now he'll command even more attention.

Stand By Me also had a great cast (River Phoenix, Corey Feldman, Jerry
O'Connell, Kiefer Sutherland, Richard Dreyfuss).

The original Shining starred Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall.

IT had Tim Curry and a few others (haven't seen it).

The Stand had Gary Sinise and Molly Ringwald, plus a few others.

Trucks had Emilio Estevez in an early role.

Oh, yes, and Apt Pupil's cast looks superb as well. Ian McKellen, for
starters.

Is that good?

Joe

Maliki

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Mamie <ma...@techatl.com> wrote in article

> Chris R. <ckr...@charm.net> wrote in article

> > > Well Ann Bates played Delores - A poor choice if I ever saw one.
> > typo? or did you forget it was Kathy Bates who I think could play any
> > character in a Stephen King book and potray it perfectly!!

> IMHO, there is very little work you could offer to Ms. Bates
> that she would not excel at. Anyone who knows anything about
> the art & craft of acting recognizes her astounding talents.

I agree, and remember that the Academy thought so as well.

Joe

stevie canuck

Nov 30, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/30/97

Augustine wrote:

> Okay, you forgot a whole bunch:
> The Stand: Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe
> It: John Ritter, Harry Anderson

> Needful Things: Ed Harris

Well, in terms of Lowe, Ritter, and Anderson, I was trying to stick to
good actors in my list. <G>

Stevie C

to e-mail me change .com to .ca
--

There's a storm raging over the city
Lightning flashing cars racing everywhere

Mamie

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

stevie canuck <ste...@rogerswave.com> wrote in article
<348237...@rogerswave.com>...

> Augustine wrote:
>
> > Okay, you forgot a whole bunch:
> > The Stand: Gary Sinise, Rob Lowe
> > It: John Ritter, Harry Anderson
> > Needful Things: Ed Harris
>

> Well, in terms of Lowe, Ritter, and Anderson, I was trying to stick to
> good actors in my list. <G>
>
> Stevie C

Okay, I agree with the wide spread opinion that 3's Company
was an ambomination and an embarassment to Americans
in general. <G>
However, Mr. Ritter *can* act. Check him out in Noises Off
with Carol Burnett, Christopher Reeve, & Marilou Henner.

Mamie

Maliki

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

stevie canuck <ste...@rogerswave.com> wrote in article

> Well, in terms of Lowe, Ritter, and Anderson, I was trying to stick to
> good actors in my list. <G>

Now, now...have you seen Sling Blade? I love John Ritter's career-making
performance in that film. It's equal to John Travolta's comeback, IMO.
Rob Lowe also isn't that bad, and did earn an accolade for being mentioned
in The Stand (uncut).

Joe

D.

Dec 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/1/97

Hello all

in the role of Edgecombe i see well Paul Newman or Clint Eastwood

what u think ?
Bye

Mamie

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Diva <amcb...@toto.csustan.edu> wrote in article
<Pine.OSF.3.96.971201...@toto.csustan.edu>...

> Gary Busey might be ok, but in that case I would go with Nick Nolte, they
> both have a really strong presence on film. Busey comes off a little
more
> "Redneckish" than this character calls for. Nolte however does possess a
> certain warmth that might fit the role. I simply can't get over Tom
> Hanks. He's a good actor with depth in recent films, but he too wholsome
> or clean cut, too "all american," if you know what I mean.
>

> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, The Piper wrote:
>
> > How about Gary Busey?
> >
> > On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 13:10:19 -0800, Diva <amcb...@toto.csustan.edu>

> > wrote:
> >
> > >No, no, no! Tim Robbins, no, think older, fortyish,greaying blonde
hair,
> > >piercing blue eyes, heavyset, Not fat; just very solid. Someone with
> > >somewhat fatherly manner, quiet strength, and an air of decency.
> > >Unfortuantely the only person I can come up with is Brian Dennehey and
is
> > >is totaly not who I am thinking of, but I'm drawing a blank on other

> > >names. Of course there is the guy who just went back into the
political
> > >arena in the last few months. What_Is_His_Name!?

Umm.. Fred Thompson?

Mamie

Jon Skeet

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

Augustine <augu...@telenet.net wrote:

> It: John Ritter, Harry Anderson

Hey, don't forget Tim Curry :)

--
Jon Skeet
Web page: http://www.pobox.com/~skeet

Lori Lang

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

On Mon, 1 Dec 1997 14:00:04 +0100, "D." <domi...@netvaldigne.com>
wrote:

>Hello all
>
>in the role of Edgecombe i see well Paul Newman or Clint Eastwood
>
>what u think ?

I've always pictured Clint playing the part of Roland in the DT
series. Right from the start he is sorta who I pictured while reading
it. I could see him as Edgecombe too though. But then, I think Clint
could play just about any male (age appropriate) role brilliantly.

Lori
Change .com to .ca to email me.