Real Horror

Lane

Aug 12, 2001, 7:34:57 PM8/12/01
King and Koontz have had such success publishing horror novels that they
have, to a degree, captured the reading public's perception of what a horror
novel in fact is. Many of their books are indeed very good. But in the
bestseller lists of horror novels, those by "star" writers, have you noticed
a certain distancing from certain kinds of horror themes and what could be
called truly dark horror, the really scary stuff?

I've read many of Graham Masterton's novel with great relish and have often
wondered why he wasn't on those bestseller lists. He really has a handle on
what horror is about and he writes on themes the star writers don't seem to
touch. It may be that his, James Herbert, Brian Lumley and others who cut
down to the bone of horror fiction are dismissed merely as pulp writers. I
have to tell you, as much as I enjoy many of King's work and admire his
talent, it's really nice to read books by Masterton, Lumley and Herbert and
others that don't soak themselves in character development but get down to
the presentation of a nicely written horror story.

If you enjoy the LEFT BEHIND book series,
then look over FEARMONGER, a novel by
Walter Lane @
http://www.horroresq.com

greg

Aug 12, 2001, 9:06:26 PM8/12/01
king and koontz bore me. have you read any of john shirley's horror stuff?
pretty good... I read Black Butterflies a few months ago and was totally
thrilled. nice collection of shorts.

In article <9l73hu$4ej$1...@news.duke.edu>, "Lane" says...

Walter Lane

Parker

Aug 13, 2001, 2:00:56 AM8/13/01
I am always looking for new horror authors. I have never heard of the
people you mentioned.

Could you give me the name of a good book for each, so I can check these
folks out?

--
Parker, P

Reality continues to ruin my life. --- Calvin

"Lane" <walte...@netzero.net> wrote in message

City of Worms

Aug 13, 2001, 7:18:18 AM8/13/01
greg <greg_...@newsguy.com> wrote in message news:<9l796...@drn.newsguy.com>...
> king and koontz bore me. have you read any of john shirley's horror stuff?
> pretty good... I read Black Butterflies a few months ago and was totally
> thrilled. nice collection of shorts.

I don't think I've ever read anything by Shirley. King is overrated
but has written some good stuff (THE SHINING, "The Mist). However,
Masterson and Lumley bore me to tears, and you can throw Herbert in
there as well. Koontz, I've never been able to read any of his stuff
after giving up on the first thing I picked up by him at the first
page--not because of the flat, uninspired writing, though that would
eventually have put me off anyway, but rather due to a pretty glaring
vocabulary error. Don't know if it was the fault of the writer or the
editor, but I just don't really want to read a whole book by someone
whose grasp of the language might possibly be worse than mine--unless
we're talking a special case, like, I don't know, THE DIARY OF ANNE
FRANK or something.

As for new horror, there doesn't look to be a whole lot worth getting
excited about. Fortunately, there are established modern talents such
as Ramsey Campbell still writing--even if he's not at his best,
Campbell can still turn out great horror stories and wonderful
writing. There's a forthcoming anthology, GATHERED BONES, featuring
work from Campbell and M. John Harrison and Dennis Etchison, so that
should be fantastic. Otherwise, the genre has looked a little moribund
lately.

Of course, there are plenty of past masters whose work merits frequent
revisiting: the elegant, chilling ghost stories of the two Jameses,
Onions, Wakefield, et al; the haunting and mesmerizing strange stories
of Robert Aickman, recently collected together in a 2-volume set from
Tartarus Press, compilations of some of the finest weird fiction ever
set to paper.

A lot of the most interesting new releases are coming from the small
press. Look at Ash-Tree press for instance, which besides its
collections of rare and underappreciated tales from past masters also
puts out collections of the best contemporary ghost/horror tales such
as THE FAR SIDE OF THE LAKE by Steve Rasnic Tem and the anthology
SHADOWS AND SILENCE. Indeed, as is often the case, the best, most
rewarding work in the field requires looking beyond the familiar,
standard names that are commonly bandied about and which occupy the
top horror shelf at your local Barnes and Noble.

In case you're wondering, no, I'm not a shill for any of the authors
or the presses whose work I endorse. However, I will own up to having
some vested interest in seeing them succeed, as that increases the
likelihood that they'll continue putting out stuff I'll want to read
in the future.

John

Man In The Doorway

Aug 13, 2001, 9:33:31 AM8/13/01
"Lane" <walte...@netzero.net> wrote in message news:<9l73hu$4ej$1...@news.duke.edu>...
> King and Koontz have had such success publishing horror novels that they
> have, to a degree, captured the reading public's perception of what a horror
> novel in fact is. Many of their books are indeed very good. But in the
> bestseller lists of horror novels, those by "star" writers, have you noticed
> a certain distancing from certain kinds of horror themes and what could be
> called truly dark horror, the really scary stuff?

An impressively written debut piece, sound opinion. And I agree
with it. The only problem from my standpoint is that I'm a
big scaredy-cat about horror. Truthfully, I don't like. I don't
like horror movies and I'm too imaginative to enjoy them. There's
a picture of an African great cat on the wall of the university here;
sometimes when I'm walking that level of the tower alone, I look at it
and can easily imagine that running cat is real and coming for me.

I don't especially relish feelings like that. It makes me prepare
to defend myself.

The problem is, again, that I lead a dangerous enough, risky enough,
life that I don't need suburban thrills like really scary movies
or truly horrific books. King's mass appeal has less to do with his
"horror", of which, as you say, there is very little, than with his
characterization and SMOOTH WRITING, leading with the suggestion that
there is something terrible JUST BEYOND THE NEXT PAGES.

I don't know who Graham masterton is, but I get your point well enough.
Take somebody like...what's his name, Jon Lansdale?.... He tends to
be more graphic and pervertedly violent. He just doesn't appeal to me,
really. The idea of a guy with a hat and razor nails is just...
not it.

> I've read many of Graham Masterton's novel with great relish and have often
> wondered why he wasn't on those bestseller lists. He really has a handle on
> what horror is about and he writes on themes the star writers don't seem to
> touch. It may be that his, James Herbert, Brian Lumley and others who cut
> down to the bone of horror fiction are dismissed merely as pulp writers. I
> have to tell you, as much as I enjoy many of King's work and admire his
> talent, it's really nice to read books by Masterton, Lumley and Herbert and
> others that don't soak themselves in character development but get down to
> the presentation of a nicely written horror story.

Lumley rode Necroscope, and I poked in that book, but it looked way
too much like pulp. By pulp I mean pure tawdry writing with no sense
of realism and no sense of the writer really believing in his own
world. Lumley, then, seems purely out to make a buck.

That motivation is fine in the hoteling or used-tire-retailing
industries.

> If you enjoy the LEFT BEHIND book series,
> then look over FEARMONGER, a novel by
> Walter Lane @
> http://www.horroresq.com

Oooooooooh. You're one of those...a vanity-press writer.

How goes the sales?

Fiona Webster

Aug 13, 2001, 12:31:34 PM8/13/01
I find good horror all the time, but maybe that's because I look
for it. <smile> A short list of authors *currently* putting out
good stuff would include Dennis Etchison, Steve Rasnic Tem, John
Shirley, Peter Straub, Thomas Tessier, Kim Newman, Tim Lebbon,
Michael Marshall Smith, Douglas Clegg, Ramsey Campbell, Bentley
Little, Caitlín Kiernan, Norm Partridge, Terry Lamsley, Christa
Faust, Brian Hodge, Peter Atkins, and James Hynes.

--Fiona

NettiesArk

Aug 13, 2001, 2:07:17 PM8/13/01
> There's a forthcoming anthology, GATHERED BONES, featuring
>work from Campbell and M. John Harrison and Dennis Etchison, so that
>should be fantastic. Otherwise, the genre has looked a little moribund
>lately.
You left out Dan Simmons, Richard Laymon, Richard Matheson (don't know if he's
written anything lately), but then again, I can't stand Ramsey Campbell, so
maybe these authors don't appeal to you.

Annette

Man In The Doorway

Aug 13, 2001, 5:13:21 PM8/13/01
f...@oceanstar.com (Fiona Webster) wrote in message news:<MPG.15e1cae29...@news2.smart.net>...

You're way too into this horror nonsense.

JodieMc

Aug 13, 2001, 5:32:55 PM8/13/01

Lane <walte...@netzero.net> wrote in article
<9l73hu$4ej$1...@news.duke.edu>...

> King and Koontz have had such success publishing horror novels that they
> have, to a degree, captured the reading public's perception of what a
horror
> novel in fact is. Many of their books are indeed very good. But in the
> bestseller lists of horror novels, those by "star" writers, have you
noticed
> a certain distancing from certain kinds of horror themes and what could
be
> called truly dark horror, the really scary stuff?

Ya want REALLY scary stuff? Tune in to CNN.

--
JodieMc
*****************************

Christopher Adams

Aug 13, 2001, 7:33:10 PM8/13/01
>> I find good horror all the time, but maybe that's because
>> I look for it. <smile> A short list of authors *currently*
>> putting out good stuff would include Dennis Etchison,
>> Steve Rasnic Tem, John Shirley, Peter Straub, Thomas
>> Tessier, Kim Newman, Tim Lebbon, Michael Marshall
>> Smith, Douglas Clegg, Ramsey Campbell, Bentley Little,
>> Caitlín Kiernan, Norm Partridge, Terry Lamsley, Christa
>> Faust, Brian Hodge, Peter Atkins, and James Hynes.
>
> You're way too into this horror nonsense.

Pray tell, why the fucking hell are you on any of the three groups to which
this is cross-posted, then? alt.books.stephen-king? Whether you think
they're good or not, the man writes horror, unless you're just a fan of his
latest stuff which isn't in that genre. rec.arts.horror.written and
alt.horror? Self-explanatory. But hey, even if you are a King fan, most
King fans are horror fans because that's mostly what he wrote.

So why are you here?

--
Chris Adams

GORILLA COMES OUT OF FUCKING NOWHERE

- Jason Corley

Slick: I'm *New Wave* pimp.

Monique: You're *Diet* pimp.

- Sinfest (12/8/2001)

Walter Lane

Aug 13, 2001, 8:02:09 PM8/13/01
"Parker" <PPar...@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:<s2Kd7.110576$J37.26...@typhoon.southeast.rr.com>...

> I am always looking for new horror authors. I have never heard of the
> people you mentioned.
>
> Could you give me the name of a good book for each, so I can check these
> folks out?

Masterton has written a lot of great horror novels but the older ones
may be hard to find. I fear he is past his prime. His novel BURIAL,
part of his MANITOU series, came off sort of flat. He's been having
this problem with his books for a while now going back to WALKERS.
MIRROR is a good one and I'd recommend that if you want just one
recommendation; I liked it a lot. Also Tengu, Death Trance and many
others I liked a lot. He, as much or more than King, was an
inspiration for me to give writing a try and instructive in style,
even more than King. He's a really good writer. See if you can find
DEVILS OF D-DAY. One of his earlier novels. Dark and chilling. It was
this kind of story I referred that King and especially Koontz would
not touch IMHO.

Let me also mention Nightwing by Martin Cruz Smith. This is a short
novel that packs a really good punch. Deftly written. It made a pretty
good movie as well.

For James Herbert I'd recommend "MOON." Herbert specializes in psychic
horror. His "rat" books are also very good.

For Lumley, I'd recommend his Necroscope series. Pulp--but truly GREAT
pulp!

Walter Lane

Aug 13, 2001, 8:14:31 PM8/13/01
maninth...@yahoo.com (Man In The Doorway) wrote in message news:<16222c02.0108...@posting.google.com>...

> An impressively written debut piece, sound opinion. And I agree
> with it. The only problem from my standpoint is that I'm a
> big scaredy-cat about horror. Truthfully, I don't like. I don't
> like horror movies and I'm too imaginative to enjoy them.

Actually, a good imagination is GOOD to have in reading horror
fiction. But if it's not you cup of tea, no problem.

> Lumley rode Necroscope, and I poked in that book, but it looked way
> too much like pulp.

Like I said in another reply, it is indeed pulp, but really good pulp.
Sometimes we want filet mignon and sometimes we want a good ol' sloppy
greas-burger. Ummmm...

> > If you enjoy the LEFT BEHIND book series,
> > then look over FEARMONGER, a novel by
> > Walter Lane @
> > http://www.horroresq.com
>
> Oooooooooh. You're one of those...a vanity-press writer.

ALL publishing is vanity in a manner of speaking. Sales? Who are you,
my agent?:-)

Walter Lane

Aug 13, 2001, 8:16:47 PM8/13/01
f...@oceanstar.com (Fiona Webster) wrote in message news:<MPG.15e1cae29...@news2.smart.net>...

Fiona, do you ever feel yourself getting a little burnt-out with
horror since your vocation takes you so much into it?

Looney

Aug 13, 2001, 9:25:57 PM8/13/01
Walter Lane wrote:

>> An impressively written debut piece, sound opinion. And I agree
>> with it. The only problem from my standpoint is that I'm a
>> big scaredy-cat about horror. Truthfully, I don't like. I don't
>> like horror movies and I'm too imaginative to enjoy them.
>
>Actually, a good imagination is GOOD to have in reading horror
>fiction. But if it's not you cup of tea, no problem.
>
>> Lumley rode Necroscope, and I poked in that book, but it looked way
>> too much like pulp.
>
>Like I said in another reply, it is indeed pulp, but really good pulp.
>Sometimes we want filet mignon and sometimes we want a good ol' sloppy
>greas-burger. Ummmm...
>
>> > If you enjoy the LEFT BEHIND book series,
>> > then look over FEARMONGER, a novel by
>> > Walter Lane @
>> > http://www.horroresq.com
>>
>> Oooooooooh. You're one of those...a vanity-press writer.
>
>ALL publishing is vanity in a manner of speaking. Sales? Who are you,
>my agent?:-)

Ah, that bad, ay?

:-)

Kidding! Even finishing a book is admirable, let alone putting one out for
sale. Good on you even if you never sell a one...

Anthony "Looney" Toohey
-------------------------------------
Everything about him was old except
his eyes and they were the same color
as the sea and were cheerful and
undefeated
- Ernest Hemingway
THE OLD MAN AND THE SEA

Steve Lewis

Aug 13, 2001, 6:53:29 AM8/13/01
I would argue that King is not just a horror writer, but has been pidgeon
holed as such because his early success were in the genre. In addition, he
has developed a more subtle style of horror which I agree may not be to the
true horror readers liking. If you like your horror to cut to the chase and
smack you between the eyes at every turn of the page, don't read King.
Steve

Tony White

Aug 15, 2001, 10:23:47 AM8/15/01

"Walter Lane" <walte...@netzero.net> wrote in message

I think a better term would be Surreal.

PursueKnowledge

Aug 18, 2001, 6:26:33 AM8/18/01
well, i like King, but i adore visceral horror even more. so, you like
shirley? try Ketchum, Hardin, Laymon, Brite (of course), Beckett,
Ballard,Clegg, Hodge, Etchison, Newman... i'm a huge collector, reader, and
researcher of hard and emphatic horror, so give me an email if you want more
suggestions.

however, the best, most well-written, most disturbing there is, w/out
throwing in that damn lowest-common-denominator "humor" shit (ask me for
examples via email, don't want to list them here -- the guys read these
boards, and right now, i'm on their good sides)
is JACK KETCHUM. man....

melissa

"greg" <greg_...@newsguy.com> wrote in message

PursueKnowledge

Aug 18, 2001, 6:23:26 AM8/18/01
absolutely not similar to Lumley. Lumley reminds me of a softer Lovecraft.
melissa

"Walter Lane" <walte...@netzero.net> wrote in message

Walter Lane

Aug 18, 2001, 7:24:37 PM8/18/01
Lumley "borrowed" freely from Lovecraftia; that's easy to see in his
Necroscope books.

--
If you liked LEFT BEHIND,
look over FEARMONGER

"PursueKnowledge" <eagl...@megagate.com> wrote in message

catomom

Aug 21, 2001, 10:40:19 AM8/21/01
walte...@netzero.net (Walter Lane) wrote in message news:<ad01b59f.01081...@posting.google.com>...

> "Parker" <PPar...@triad.rr.com> wrote in message news:<s2Kd7.110576$J37.26...@typhoon.southeast.rr.com>...
>
> > I am always looking for new horror authors.

aren't we all ;)

> Let me also mention Nightwing by Martin Cruz Smith. This is a short
> novel that packs a really good punch. Deftly written.

This was a good read, especially fun if you enjoy Native American
themes, myths and religion. Tony Hillerman's novels are similar to
"Nightwing," but in the mystery genre.

> For James Herbert I'd recommend "MOON." Herbert specializes in psychic
> horror.

I'll have to look for him.

> For Lumley, I'd recommend his Necroscope series. Pulp--but truly GREAT
> pulp!

Ha! A friend at the library just mentioned these...will start series
soon, hope it's good.

Also want to add an author or two here. Phil Rickman's "Curfew"
("Crybbe") was one of the best horror novels I've read. IMHO, it had
all the good "horror" elements; well-written, believable characters,
eerie setting, nice plot twists and FEAR! Also, look for Swan Song, by
Robert McCammon. A GREAT apocalyptic tale!

catomom...

dwight macpherson

Aug 22, 2001, 12:42:16 PM8/22/01
PursueKnowledge wrote:

Mmmm... new SOFTER Lovecraft.
DAM

City of Worms

Aug 23, 2001, 5:34:05 AM8/23/01
"PursueKnowledge" <eagl...@megagate.com> wrote in message news:<9ll8l...@enews3.newsguy.com>...

> well, i like King, but i adore visceral horror even more. so, you like
> shirley? try Ketchum, Hardin, Laymon, Brite (of course), Beckett,
> Ballard,Clegg, Hodge, Etchison, Newman... i'm a huge collector, reader, and
> researcher of hard and emphatic horror, so give me an email if you want more
> suggestions.

"Hard and emphatic horror"? I get the emphatic...But hard? Diamonds
are hard. Or maybe you're talking that "Extreme" horror deal. Could
just be I'm tuning outta the zeitgeist again but it feels like the
more "EXTREEM" horror writing tries to be, the more ridiculous it
sounds. I find horror works best when it's evoked through fine
writing.

Sure, it's a familiar cliche that understatement, suggestion, the
ability to communicate things unthinkable and terrifying in oblique
terms, can all achieve more lasting fear than blood-drenched overkill.
But it also happens to be true--at least, for good writers, that is.

Ballard is great, Etchison frequently powerful. Surprised you didn't
mention William Burroughs, who wrote hard and emphatic SOMETHING...
Beckett? THE UNNAMEABLE? Other writers of comparable (or greater)
quality include Robert Aickman, Ramsey Campbell (the greatest living
writer in the field, bar none), Joel Lane, M. John Harrison, the Tems
(Steve Rasnic and Melanie), Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ligotti--many
others too no doubt, but I'm presently drawing a blank here...

John

Walter Lane

Aug 24, 2001, 2:10:14 PM8/24/01
There IS no new Lovecraft of any sort. He was an original even if he
himself borrowed from Poe and Dunsany..

--
If you liked LEFT BEHIND,
look over FEARMONGER

"dwight macpherson" <dmacp...@thecitizen.southam.ca> wrote in
message news:3B83E0E8...@thecitizen.southam.ca...

PursueKnowledge

Aug 29, 2001, 3:52:02 AM8/29/01

> "Hard and emphatic horror"? I get the emphatic...But hard? Diamonds

By hard, I don't mean gratuitously disgusting and silly horror (that loses
its impact after the first 500 grisly scenes (i.e, American Psycho). I mean
hard-hitting in a psychological and mental senses. I left out Kathe Koja --
Skin is "hard horror," in my opinion.

> Beckett? THE UNNAMEABLE? Other writers of comparable (or greater)

Beckett's More Pricks Than Kicks was extremely horrific to me in a very
subtle manner -- certainly not labelled "horror," but was definitely
horrific. Same with Song of Stone by Iain Banks (and Wasp Factory by the
same).

> (Steve Rasnic and Melanie), Shirley Jackson, Thomas Ligotti--many

Oooooh.... yeah, I left out Ms. Jackson. Which also reminds me of Roald
Dahl.

Good picks.

Melissa

PursueKnowledge

Aug 29, 2001, 3:53:00 AM8/29/01

> There IS no new Lovecraft of any sort. He was an original even if he
> himself borrowed from Poe and Dunsany..

Of course there's not. I doubt seriously there ever will be. My comment re:
Lumley was quite.... generous, though I meant it as an insult, more or less.
Though, I did enjoy House of Doors or whatever it was, at least in
conceptual theory.

melissa

Walter Lane

Aug 29, 2001, 8:11:15 PM8/29/01
Except for his Necroscope books, I don't care much for Lumley's work.
I did like the first Psychomech book but it was a rehash or "prehash"
of Necroscope. I only read the first five Necroscope books by the way.

--
If you liked LEFT BEHIND,
look over FEARMONGER
@ http://www.horroresq.com

"PursueKnowledge" <eagl...@megagate.com> wrote in message

PursueKnowledge

Aug 29, 2001, 11:58:26 PM8/29/01

> Except for his Necroscope books, I don't care much for Lumley's work.
> I did like the first Psychomech book but it was a rehash or "prehash"
> of Necroscope. I only read the first five Necroscope books by the way.
>
> --

Oh, so you only read .003% of the Necroscope books, then.

melissa

City of Worms

Aug 30, 2001, 5:11:16 AM8/30/01
"PursueKnowledge" <eagl...@megagate.com> wrote in message news:<9mhvo...@enews2.newsguy.com>...

> > "Hard and emphatic horror"? I get the emphatic...But hard? Diamonds
>

> By hard, I don't mean gratuitously disgusting and silly horror (that loses
> its impact after the first 500 grisly scenes (i.e, American Psycho). I mean
> hard-hitting in a psychological and mental senses. I left out Kathe Koja --
> Skin is "hard horror," in my opinion.

I get your drift, but AMERICAN PSYCHO is an exception for me--though
clearly the violence is both gratuitously disgusting and
silly--because the deadpan black comedy and satire was amusing, the
anonymous hedonistic hive-mind activity that passed for social
interaction in the narrator's yuppie world being at least as
disturbing as the cartoonish extremes of violence.

John

PursueKnowledge

Aug 30, 2001, 4:33:31 PM8/30/01

> I get your drift, but AMERICAN PSYCHO is an exception for me--though
> clearly the violence is both gratuitously disgusting and
> silly--because the deadpan black comedy and satire was amusing, the

Yeah, the portions I liked of the book were the descriptive parts related to
his extreme, pathological narcissism

Mind you, I didn't dislike the violence b/c it was gratuitous. I disliked
it b/c it was just silly and repetitive, as you said.

melissa

> John

Walter Lane

Aug 30, 2001, 8:42:11 PM8/30/01
I did bale out after a while. They seemed to be milking the series too
much and the end of the 5th did end the original of the series.

--
If you liked LEFT BEHIND,
look over FEARMONGER
@ http://www.horroresq.com

"PursueKnowledge" <eagl...@megagate.com> wrote in message

XresinX

Aug 31, 2001, 3:07:24 AM8/31/01

"Walter Lane" <walte...@netzero.net> wrote in message

> Except for his Necroscope books, I don't care much for Lumley's work.
> I did like the first Psychomech book but it was a rehash or "prehash"
> of Necroscope. I only read the first five Necroscope books by the way.
>
> --
> If you liked LEFT BEHIND,
> look over FEARMONGER
> @ http://www.horroresq.com

Ah man, you have to try the Titus Crow books and Hero of Dreams books.
They're more on the, or I should say, they are fantasy books, but they're
pretty excellent. By the way, I haven't heard anyone mention Robert R.
Mcammon(spelled right?).
I love that guy. Also List of Seven by Mark Frost is pretty damned good.

***If Evian spelled backwards means Naive, then what the hell does Retawgnob
mean?***