In the Night Room

Judy Raneri

Nov 19, 2004, 5:14:33 PM11/19/04
Just finished In the Night Room, a sequel for Lost Boy, Lost Girl. Both
were amazing.

Judy Raneri
http://home.swbell.net/jranerii/

Janet

Nov 19, 2004, 9:12:59 PM11/19/04
In article <dfund.20841$fC4....@newssvr11.news.prodigy.com>, "Judy Raneri"
<jra...@swbell.net> writes:

>Just finished In the Night Room, a sequel for Lost Boy, Lost Girl. Both
>were amazing.
>
>Judy Raneri

Hey Judy, long time to see/hear, but I remember you well
from years back. I just started ITNR and it will probably
take me a while due to 'commitments' with the kids, meaning
I'm still committed ;) PS's stories are not the type of stories
that I can take to a soccer field or a basketball game and read
during practices. Y'all don't wait for me, it may be February before
I get a chance to even pick it up again, but I couldn't PUT DOWN
LBLG, so I figure if I get the flu... and have to stay in bed...
that may work!!!

Janet

Judy Raneri

Nov 19, 2004, 11:19:10 PM11/19/04
Hi Janet,

Nice to hear from you. I just retired from teaching special education at
the end of last school year after teaching 30 years, so I have some time on
my hands. It's really nice to hear from old friends. I've gone back to irc
a few times trying to find friends from the King irc channel which we formed
years ago, but have yet to find anyone. I miss my students, but am really
enjoying my retirement.

Judy
http://home.swbell.net/jranerii/

"Janet" <wayn...@aol.comdeleteme> wrote in message

kc_od

Nov 29, 2004, 1:08:07 PM11/29/04
I loved IN THE NIGHT ROOM, too but I did not get the angel of death
anagrams -CLERESYTE or WCHWHLLDN. Do you have to read LOST BOY LOST GIRL
first? What did you get? Thanks.

Peter Straub

Nov 30, 2004, 12:47:30 PM11/30/04
I should try to answer this. Cleresyte is not an anagram, merely an
angel category of my own invention. And the angel's name has vowels in
it, plus a few more consonants, but all the letters are in order. The
last word is Eden. The second-to-last word is Hell.

Glad you liked the book!

Peter

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Andreas Schwartmann

Dec 1, 2004, 5:16:33 PM12/1/04
Hi list,
hi Peter,

I am currently reading The Hellfire Club and I am not sure I understood
Dick Darts mission correctly:

He wants to kill all the people claiming that Hugo Driver did not in
fact write "Night Journey". But why would he want to? His father made a
deal with the lawyer of the twom sisters to keep them quiet. Killing all
other witnesses might settle the case even more. So Dart is actually
willing to help his father to protect the Chancel House legacy? I don't
get it, because as I understand it he is sick of working for his father
or helping him. So why kill those people?

Did I actually miss something?

Regards from Cologne, Germany
Andreas

--
Rechtsanwalt Andreas Schwartmann
Gleueler Str. 249 D-50935 Köln

Janet

Dec 1, 2004, 7:43:55 PM12/1/04
In article <20041119211259...@mb-m27.aol.com>,
wayn...@aol.comdeleteme (Janet) writes:

>Y'all don't wait for me, it may be February before
>I get a chance to even pick it up again, but I couldn't PUT DOWN
>LBLG, so I figure if I get the flu... and have to stay in bed...
>that may work!!!

Oh, the things we wish upon ourselves...

That said, I got through half of it yesterday while in
bed, spent today wanting to get back to it, but was
torn between laundry, dishes, tylenol and sleep. The
tylenol and sleep won out while the kids were in school.

Peter, you always make me think that I'm lost in someone
else's story about someone else. This one is really confusing
me, but don't take that personally. It doesn't take much!

I can't wait to find out if Willy is a figment or a fragment. With
your stories, I can never tell until the end!

Janet, enjoying the ride even under these circumstances :)

Peter Straub

Dec 3, 2004, 5:44:02 PM12/3/04
Andreas Schwartmann wrote:
> Hi list,
> hi Peter,
>

> I am currently reading The Hellfire Club and I am not sure I understood
> Dick Darts mission correctly:
>
> He wants to kill all the people claiming that Hugo Driver did not in
> fact write "Night Journey". But why would he want to? His father made a
> deal with the lawyer of the twom sisters to keep them quiet. Killing all
> other witnesses might settle the case even more. So Dart is actually
> willing to help his father to protect the Chancel House legacy? I don't
> get it, because as I understand it he is sick of working for his father
> or helping him. So why kill those people?
>
> Did I actually miss something?
>
> Regards from Cologne, Germany
> Andreas

I hope somebody else can answer this, because I don't really remember
any more.

Two days on jury duty down at 100 Centre Street, NYC, and now I have to
tedium. And then of course there is always trhe danger of being put on a
jury. I've been on two juries, and that's enough for a while, I think.

Peter

The Other Kim

Dec 4, 2004, 11:22:38 AM12/4/04
> > I am currently reading The Hellfire Club and I am not sure I
understood
> > Dick Darts mission correctly:
> >
> > He wants to kill all the people claiming that Hugo Driver did not in
> > fact write "Night Journey". But why would he want to? His father
made a
> > deal with the lawyer of the twom sisters to keep them quiet. Killing
all
> > other witnesses might settle the case even more. So Dart is actually
> > willing to help his father to protect the Chancel House legacy? I
don't
> > get it, because as I understand it he is sick of working for his
father
> > or helping him. So why kill those people?
> >
> > Did I actually miss something?
> >
> > Regards from Cologne, Germany
> > Andreas
> >

> I hope somebody else can answer this, because I don't really
remember
> any more.

I read it long ago and have forgotten details, but I do recall enjoying
it immensely.

> Two days on jury duty down at 100 Centre Street, NYC, and now I have
> tedium. And then of course there is always trhe danger of being put on
> jury. I've been on two juries, and that's enough for a while, I think.

I've been fortunate to avoid jury duty so far. I keep getting notified,
but I've been able to opt out because of my youngest daughter; having to
be the caretaker for someone who can't take care of themselves is a
valid reason. Of course, she started kindergarten this year, so that
won't work, and being self-employed isn't good enough to get a pass.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Peter Straub

Dec 5, 2004, 3:43:09 AM12/5/04
The Other Kim wrote:

> I've been fortunate to avoid jury duty so far. I keep getting notified,
> but I've been able to opt out because of my youngest daughter; having to
> be the caretaker for someone who can't take care of themselves is a
> valid reason. Of course, she started kindergarten this year, so that
> won't work, and being self-employed isn't good enough to get a pass.

Not in New York, for sure, where along with the self-employed, judges,
doctors, lawyers, and network anchors and weatherpersons get called up
once every four years. Though I doubt that Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings
and Dan Rather ever had to serve on a jury -- they would have been
bounced at every voir dire, the questioning periods when the lawyers
sound you out. I do not at all look forward to Monday morning, when I am
obliged to return to the grim courtroom from which I was dismissed
around 3:30 Friday afternoon.

Peter

Janet

Dec 5, 2004, 1:36:33 PM12/5/04
In article <xSzsd.20692$Yh2.7...@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Peter Straub
<pst...@nyc.rr.com> writes:

>Not in New York, for sure, where along with the self-employed, judges,
>doctors, lawyers, and network anchors and weatherpersons get called up
>once every four years. Though I doubt that Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings
>and Dan Rather ever had to serve on a jury -- they would have been
>bounced at every voir dire, the questioning periods when the lawyers
>sound you out. I do not at all look forward to Monday morning, when I am
>obliged to return to the grim courtroom from which I was dismissed
>around 3:30 Friday afternoon.
>
>Peter

Hey Peter,

Look at the company you're in by doing your
civic duty: Oprah! :) I know it's boring. The only
advice I can give is to take a good book. A new one
just hit the shelves, it's called "Faithful" and it's about
the latest miracle. Or... are you a... a... a <whisper>
yankees fan??? <shudder>

Janet

Scoot

Dec 5, 2004, 3:26:20 PM12/5/04

>Not in New York, for sure, where along with the self-employed, judges,
>doctors, lawyers, and network anchors and weatherpersons get called up
>once every four years. Though I doubt that Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings
>and Dan Rather ever had to serve on a jury -- they would have been
>bounced at every voir dire, the questioning periods when the lawyers
>sound you out. I do not at all look forward to Monday morning, when I am
>obliged to return to the grim courtroom from which I was dismissed
>around 3:30 Friday afternoon.

I discovered an almost flawless method for being excused from jury duty.
During the voir dire, when the judge asks if there is anyone in the jury pool
would have have doubts, or are likely to discount the testimony from a police
officer, my hand goes up like a rocket.

I get horrified looks from the pool who can't believe I'm admitting this in
court, and the police look at me as if they'd like to open fire on me,
providing they can remember where they put their throw down weapons/drugs; but
I get excused from jury duty. Perhaps not the most "civic minded" behaviour,
but it's my decision.

For anyone interested in a book to read while awaiting the call of the jury
pool, I'd like to recommend The Annotated Wizard Of Oz by Michael Patrick
Hearn. To paraphrase Ed McMahon during a Carnak sketch on the old Johnny
Carson Show, Everything You'd ever want to know about The Wizard Of Oz is found
in this book....

I'm also looking forward to reading The Bourne Identity next. Enjoyed the
film, anxious to read the source materials....

Cheers

Scott F. Feighner a.k.a. "Scoot"

The BEAST

Dec 5, 2004, 7:40:13 PM12/5/04

"The Other Kim" < wrote in message

>> Two days on jury duty down at 100 Centre Street, NYC, and now I have
>> tedium. And then of course there is always trhe danger of being put on
>> jury. I've been on two juries, and that's enough for a while, I think.
>
> I've been fortunate to avoid jury duty so far. I keep getting notified,
> but I've been able to opt out because of my youngest daughter; having to
> be the caretaker for someone who can't take care of themselves is a
> valid reason. Of course, she started kindergarten this year, so that
> won't work, and being self-employed isn't good enough to get a pass.

Hmm -- the second/last time I was called, I was excused because I know
how to read radiographs - it was a traffic-accident related case....

Am I the only one who actually *wants* to serve on a jury?

wondered
The BEAST

The BEAST

Dec 5, 2004, 7:40:58 PM12/5/04

"Janet" <wrote in message

>>Not in New York, for sure, where along with the self-employed, judges,
>>doctors, lawyers, and network anchors and weatherpersons get called up
>>once every four years. Though I doubt that Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings
>>and Dan Rather ever had to serve on a jury -- they would have been
>>bounced at every voir dire, the questioning periods when the lawyers
>>sound you out. I do not at all look forward to Monday morning, when I am
>>obliged to return to the grim courtroom from which I was dismissed
>>around 3:30 Friday afternoon.
>>
>>Peter
>>

> Hey Peter,
>
> Look at the company you're in by doing your
> civic duty: Oprah! :) I know it's boring. The only
> advice I can give is to take a good book. A new one
> just hit the shelves, it's called "Faithful" and it's about
> the latest miracle. Or... are you a... a... a <whisper>
> yankees fan??? <shudder>

Watch how you talk about Yankees' fans, Janet!!!

warned
The BEAST

The Other Kim

Dec 5, 2004, 11:44:31 PM12/5/04
BEAST wrote:

> Hmm -- the second/last time I was called, I was excused because I know
> how to read radiographs - it was a traffic-accident related case....

Just based on what I've heard from folks who have served on juries as
well as have been excused, any semblance of intelligence above and
beyond average is undesirable. We're not that easy to sway.

> Am I the only one who actually *wants* to serve on a jury?

There are probably plenty of others who want to serve on a jury. If
California would pay more than $15 a day I'd consider actually showing
up and serving; however, it would cost me more than that to miss even
one day of work. If I don't work I don't get paid, and whereas it's not
a hardship if I should end up on a jury for a few days, with my luck I'd
be placed on the equivalent of the OJ Simpson trial and end up
sequestered for the duration. No thanks, I'm not willing to take that
chance, especially as long as I have kids living at home. When I do
finally have to show up for that one day I'm gonna make sure I get to go
home that same day. That may not be seen as 'doing my civic duty', but
that's tough. Pay a 'living wage' for jury duty, and you'd have a lot
more people willing to serve.

The Other Kim
kimagreenfieldatyahoodotcom

Scoot

Dec 6, 2004, 12:01:51 AM12/6/04
>There are probably plenty of others who want to serve on a jury. If
>California would pay more than $15 a day I'd consider actually showing
>up and serving;

Six dollars here in Houston, TX...parking is anywhere from 6-12...It is
validated if you're actually selected...but just showing up for voir dire costs
you....

JGM

Dec 6, 2004, 8:04:20 AM12/6/04
Scoot wrote:

> Perhaps not the most "civic minded" behaviour,
>but it's my decision.

and

The Other Kim wrote:

> When I do
>finally have to show up for that one day I'm gonna make sure I get to go
>home that same day. That may not be seen as 'doing my civic duty', but
>that's tough.

These me-first arguments are all great until you are the one at the
defendants' table.

JGM

Bev Vincent

Dec 6, 2004, 9:15:51 AM12/6/04

"Peter Straub" <pst...@nyc.rr.com> wrote in message

>Though I doubt that Tom Brokaw, Peter Jennings
> and Dan Rather ever had to serve on a jury

Until recently, Peter Jennings shared the wonderful excuse that I have for
not serving on juries -- he wasn't an American citizen.

--
Bev Vincent
www.BevVincent.com

The Road to the Dark Tower, New American Library, September 28, 2004

Peter Straub

Dec 7, 2004, 12:11:27 PM12/7/04
Janet wrote:
> In article <xSzsd.20692$Yh2.7...@twister.nyc.rr.com>, Peter Straub

> Look at the company you're in by doing your

> civic duty: Oprah! :) I know it's boring. The only
> advice I can give is to take a good book. A new one
> just hit the shelves, it's called "Faithful" and it's about
> the latest miracle. Or... are you a... a... a <whisper>
> yankees fan??? <shudder>

No, I'm not a baseball fan at all, really, but I will read that book,
because my pal Stevie wrote half of it. Come to think of it, Stuart
O'Nan is a friend of mine, too.

I finally got sent hom from jury duty. In a way, I'm with Scoot -- I
don't believe most of what police officers say in court, because while
on a jury, I heard too many of them "testi-lying."

I hope somebody can answer Andreas's question.

Peter

Andreas Schwartmann

Dec 8, 2004, 5:21:54 PM12/8/04
Peter Straub wrote:

> I hope somebody can answer Andreas's question.
>
> Peter

Me too, but it's not that urgent anymore since I have finished THC
yesterday (really liked it) and went on to Robert MacCammon's "Swan Song".

After that, there's "Mr. X", "Lost Boy", "Magic Terror" and "Black
House" and "Night Room" waiting. Got to catch up with some reading. ;-)

I also decided to read The Dark Tower series once again from scratch,
since it's been a while since I read DT 1-4 and I need to refresh
memories before hopping on to DT 5-7 and Bev's book afterwards. :-)

But then again some Ken Follets and Scott Turow and George R.R. Martin
are waiting too ...

Damn, I need more time to read. :-)

Take care,

Janet

Dec 8, 2004, 7:09:37 PM12/8/04
In article <cp7upt$fr2$1...@newsreader2.netcologne.de>, Andreas Schwartmann
<andreas.s...@netcologne.de> writes:

>> I hope somebody can answer Andreas's question.
>>
>> Peter
>

>Me too, but it's not that urgent anymore since I have finished THC
>yesterday (really liked it)

Okay, you see? It's all up to interpretation. You "just" read
the book and still don't know 'why'. I stand by my first
impression: He killed because he was a sicko ;)

>and went on to Robert MacCammon's "Swan Song".

***gasp***! OhmyGod, that is one of my ALL time favorite
books! You are SO going to love it!

>After that, there's "Mr. X", "Lost Boy", "Magic Terror" and "Black
>House" and "Night Room" waiting. Got to catch up with some reading. ;-)

This is a first time for you reading these? Wow, you're
in for a treat! Read Lost Boy, Lost Girl before you read
Night Room, though. Let's see if you get as freaked out
as I am. I'm still not finished, bad time of year for me to pick
up a book.

>I also decided to read The Dark Tower series once again from scratch,
>since it's been a while since I read DT 1-4 and I need to refresh
>memories before hopping on to DT 5-7 and Bev's book afterwards. :-)

I hope you enjoy Bev's book :) I have it, but have only
paged through it since I'm really not much of a DT fan,
I know, I know, I just can't get into it! I have them all and
will attempt a reread starting at the beginning, like you're
doing... someday. Honest!

>But then again some Ken Follets and Scott Turow and George R.R. Martin
>are waiting too ...
>
>Damn, I need more time to read. :-)

Maybe Santa will bring both of us that for Christmas!

Janet

John Willis

Dec 8, 2004, 7:50:35 PM12/8/04
On 06 Dec 2004 05:01:51 GMT, sfe...@aol.companyman (Scoot) scribbled
this interesting note:

Same in Dallas...

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)

::a:m:y::

Dec 9, 2004, 9:17:20 AM12/9/04
I actually read "in the night room" before "lost boy lost girl" i was
confused a little tiny bit.. but when i read lost boy lost girl,
everything was clear and understood. :) I loved them both.

Andreas Schwartmann

Dec 9, 2004, 11:18:26 AM12/9/04
Janet wrote:
> In article <cp7upt$fr2$1...@newsreader2.netcologne.de>, Andreas Schwartmann
> <andreas.s...@netcologne.de> writes:
>

>>>I hope somebody can answer Andreas's question.
>>>
>>>Peter
>>

>>Me too, but it's not that urgent anymore since I have finished THC
>>yesterday (really liked it)
>

> Okay, you see? It's all up to interpretation. You "just" read
> the book and still don't know 'why'. I stand by my first
> impression: He killed because he was a sicko ;)
>

>>and went on to Robert MacCammon's "Swan Song".
>

> ***gasp***! OhmyGod, that is one of my ALL time favorite
> books! You are SO going to love it!

Well, so far it has already been frightening me. The nuclear war is just
over, the president's plane got hit by the greyhound bus. This is really
scary, because it is so possible, still today, with all those missiles
and nuklear war heads still around and a stupid religous fundamentalist
being president of the USA ... The cold war is over, but the warriors
are still around.

>>After that, there's "Mr. X", "Lost Boy", "Magic Terror" and "Black
>>House" and "Night Room" waiting. Got to catch up with some reading. ;-)
>

> This is a first time for you reading these?

Yep. I concentrated on reading other stuff for a while, like Kathy
Reichs, John Lescroat and my legal books (I am a lawyer). So I got to do
some reading now. ;-)

Wow, you're
> in for a treat! Read Lost Boy, Lost Girl before you read
> Night Room, though.

I will read those books chronologically of course.

>>I also decided to read The Dark Tower series once again from scratch,
>>since it's been a while since I read DT 1-4 and I need to refresh
>>memories before hopping on to DT 5-7 and Bev's book afterwards. :-)
>

> I hope you enjoy Bev's book :) I have it, but have only
> paged through it since I'm really not much of a DT fan,
> I know, I know, I just can't get into it! I have them all and
> will attempt a reread starting at the beginning, like you're
> doing... someday. Honest!

Well, I was looking forward to reading it, but then, on the second page
the dreaded warning was starring at me: Don't go on reading if you have
not read ALL DT books before. Spoilers ahead! If I'd known that, I would
have ordered Bev's book maybe for xmas 2006 ... ;-)

kuze...@duke.edu

Dec 10, 2004, 2:49:08 PM12/10/04
Scoot <sfe...@aol.companyman> wrote:

> >Not in New York, for sure, where along with the self-employed, judges,
> >doctors, lawyers, and network anchors and weatherpersons get called up
>
> I discovered an almost flawless method for being excused from jury duty.

The method used 20 years ago in Louisiana was to call a panel
for a week of service; potential jurors would wait in a big
smoky room and each trial during the week would call potential
jurors from the big room to be screened, and seated on a jury
if they were accepted.

My first day doing this, I wore a suit and tie. And I got picked
for a jury panel almost immediately. I had to pay attention to
the case for 2 days. And it occurred to me more than once that
if I hadn't been picked, I'd still be in the big room, reading
and relaxing.

So when the first trial was over, on my next day back in the
big smoky room, I dressed in jeans and a T-shirt with a drug
slogan on it, and prominently kept my book for the day displayed:
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas." Hey, NOBODY wants a freak
like that on a jury panel, right? Wrong--I was almost immediatly
seated on another jury. (And this one a drug case at that.)

As with so much of the rest of my life's experiences, I got a
fair amount of data but was unable to draw any conclusions. :->

BTW, I read "lost boy" recently and was stunned. Right after
finishing it, I re-read "Shadowland"--which impresses me more
and more as the years go by.

Ken Kuzenski AC4RD ken . kuzenski at duke .edu
All disclaimers apply, see? www.duke.edu/~kuzen001

Peter Straub

Dec 13, 2004, 3:29:46 PM12/13/04
After some interersting memories of jury duty in Louisiana,

kuze...@duke.edu wrote:

> BTW, I read "lost boy" recently and was stunned. Right after
> finishing it, I re-read "Shadowland"--which impresses me more
> and more as the years go by.

Well, thanks! Now you really do owe it to yourself to read IN THE NIGHT
ROOM.

I've been thinking about Andreas's original question, and it seems to me
that Dart wants to kill all these people because he reveres Hugo Driver
and does not want his authorship of NIGHT JOURNEY to be questioned.

Peter

shylilembrace

Feb 7, 2005, 4:42:02 PM2/7/05
Yea, I just finished reading this book first full book i've read by peter
straub even though i've also read a collection of short stories by him and
The Talisman, The black house which i also liked. When i saw that that
WCHWHLLDN thing was an anagram i sat there and stared at it for about half
an hour but still couldn't figure it out. Great book though I'm gonna go
out and find Lost Boy Lost Girl. (I apoligize for the poor grammar and
puntuation.)

yidlove2

Apr 13, 2006, 4:04:07 PM4/13/06
I have given a lot of thought to the WCHWHLLDN and I hate the idea that it
could be "Which way, Hell or Eden" because of the added consonants. If
only the vowels are missing it makes no sense. I was thinking maybe "We
ache while led on" but I'm not sure that fits with a ticked off angel.
However, it would fit since Willy felt like she was being manipulated like
a puppet and so was Tim.

threadba...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 12:34:26 PM7/31/18
Would I be correct in assuming that the complete meaning is "Which Way Hell Eden?"

threadba...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2018, 12:45:54 PM7/31/18
Would I be correct in interpreting the answer as "Which Way Hell Eden?"