joseph payne brennan

cornuti

Aug 5, 2004, 5:44:47 AM8/5/04
Can anyone provide info and bibliography for Joseph Payne Brennan?

Aycorn

Aug 5, 2004, 12:15:11 PM8/5/04
http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/authors/Joseph_Payne_Brennan.htm

Probably not complete, but a start.

"cornuti" <cor...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Gary W. Crawford

Aug 5, 2004, 10:06:49 PM8/5/04
"Aycorn" <ayc...@care2.com> wrote in message news:<10h4mnc...@corp.supernews.com>...

Steve Eng has an essay that discusses Brennan in Discovering Modern
Horror Fiction II (Starmont House, 1988) and I think it's still
available from Wildside Press.

Gary W. Crawford
www.gothicpress.com

Scott Connors

Aug 6, 2004, 2:09:20 PM8/6/04
gothi...@aol.com (Gary W. Crawford) wrote in message news:<fbf7c1ec.0408...@posting.google.com>...

Stefan Dziemianowicz has an excellent article, "Darkness Come to Life:
The Weird Fiction of Joseph Payne Brennan", in STUDIES IN WEIRD
FICTION 9, $4.50 from www.necropress.com. It contains a useful
bibliography. Unfortunately, Brennan's heirs have wildly exaggerated
ideas of what his stories are worth monetarily, demanding sums that
Stephen King would be embarrassed asking. This is a real pity, too,
since in many ways Joe's work was far superior to that of King.
Also--Darrell Schweitzer edited DISCOVERING MODERN HORROR FICTION
II.
Hope that this helps.
Scott

Randy Money

Aug 6, 2004, 3:55:05 PM8/6/04

Or are they embarrassed by it and pricing it out of range? (Oh, that
crazy Uncle Joe and his insane, ugly stories! Those nuts will never stop
nagging at us to reprint if we just say no, so let's just jack up the
price and scare 'em away!)

Randy M.

John Pelan

Aug 6, 2004, 9:01:09 PM8/6/04

No. I think it's gone from "these are wprth millions" to "we don't
care"... However, I'm not giving up...

Stefan and I have put together a three-volume set of all the
non-Lucious Leffing tales, or we could do one volume of all the
difficult (or damn near impossible) material.

We'll see what happens...

Cheers,

John

Scott Wyatt

Aug 6, 2004, 11:36:11 PM8/6/04
Good luck John! This is a very worthwhile project. Fedogan & Bremer
approached the heirs some years ago with a "Best Of" proposal but were
flicked off by the price and egos involved. I hope some sense of rational
thought has hit them by this time.

Scott Wyatt

"John Pelan" <jpe...@cnw.com> wrote in message

Shiflet

Aug 7, 2004, 10:01:17 AM8/7/04
I definitely wish you guys well. Brennan is one of my favorite writers and
I would love to see his work collected in nice editions.

"Scott Wyatt" <swy...@paulbunyan.net> wrote in message