Elon Musk’s insane new plan will shock you

1 vue

a425couple

non lue,
8 oct. 2017, 21:40:0108/10/2017
Elon Musk’s insane new plan will shock you

(It sure seems to me like a decent sci-fi story.)

OCTOBER 7, 2017 BY DAN TAYLOR

Elon Musk’s insane new plan will shock you
The billionaire founder of SpaceX and Tesla thinks we can start a human
colony on Mars as early as 2024, and he's going to try to prove it.

It’s perhaps one of the most looney plans you’re ever going to hear, but
SpaceX founder Elon Musk thinks that we could actually start a human
colony on Mars in just seven years, and begin building it in five. NASA
is working on a more conservative but still wildly ambitious timetable
of getting man to Mars in the 2030s, but Musk thinks it could be done a
lot sooner, according to remarks from a speech in Australia last week.

Musk said he hopes to start a human colony on Mars in 2024, and starting
shipping supplies and setting up a base in 2022. The plan would be to
land two cargo ships on the Red Planet in the next five years to set up
mining, life support, and power, and then he would send two ships with
humans and more cargo ships two years later.

The colony would be able to use carbon dioxide in the Martian atmosphere
to produce rocket fuel, which means it wouldn’t be a one-way trip, Musk
theorizes. The timeline has plenty of skeptics who question how this
will happen when the rocket that would send them there hasn’t even been
built yet, to say nothing of political and social obstacles to such a
mission.

NASA itself was hesitant to endorse such an ambitious plan.
“NASA is excited to see continued global interest in moving human
exploration farther into the solar system, including Mars,” reads a NASA
statement as printed by The Australian. “A sustainable crew presence in
deep space will require the best of NASA, our international partners and
the private sector. Therefore, the agency is studying the deep space
gateway concept with US industry and space station partners for
potential future collaborations.”

Here’s how NASA describes its own future mission to Mars:
NASA is on a journey to Mars, with a goal of sending humans to the Red
Planet in the 2030s. That journey is already well under way.

For decades, the agency and its partners have sent orbiters, landers and
rovers, dramatically increasing our knowledge about the Red Planet and
paving the way for future human explorers. The Curiosity rover has
gathered radiation data to help us protect future astronauts, and the
upcoming Mars 2020 rover will study the availability of Martian
resources, including oxygen.

There is more to learn as we expand humanity’s presence into the solar
system: Was Mars once home to microbial life or is it today? Can it be a
safe home for humans? What can the Red Planet teach us about our own
planet’s past, present and future?

Building on the robotic legacy, the human exploration of Mars crosses
three thresholds, each with increasing challenges as humans move farther
from Earth: Earth Reliant, the Proving Ground, and Earth Independent.

Earth Reliant exploration is focused on research aboard the
International Space Station. The orbiting microgravity laboratory serves
as a world-class test bed for the technologies and communications
systems needed for human missions to deep space. Astronauts are learning
about what it takes to live and work in space for long periods of time,
increasing our understanding of how the body changes in space and how to
protect astronaut health.

We’re also working with our commercial crew and cargo partners to
provide access to low-Earth orbit and eventually stimulate new economic
activity, allowing NASA to continue using the station while preparing
for missions beyond.

Next, we move into the Proving Ground, conducting a series of missions
near the moon — we call it “cislunar space” — that will test the
capabilities we will need to live and work at Mars. Astronauts on the
space station are only hours away from Earth, but the proving ground is
days away, a natural stepping stone to a Mars mission, which will be
months away from home.

The first of these missions will launch NASA’s powerful new rocket, the
Space Launch System, from NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida. The
mission will carry the Orion spacecraft (without astronauts) thousands
of miles beyond the moon during an approximately three week mission
(Watch Mission Animation Video). Next up, astronauts will climb into
Orion for a similar mission, traveling farther than humans have ever
traveled before.

Also in the 2020s, we’ll send astronauts on a yearlong mission into this
deep space proving ground, verifying habitation and testing our
readiness for Mars.

Another proving ground milestone is the Asteroid Redirect Mission. NASA
will send a robotic spacecraft to capture an asteroid boulder and put it
in a safe orbit around the moon. Astronauts on Orion will then explore
the asteroid, returning to Earth with samples. This two-part mission
will test both deep space spacewalking and sampling techniques and Solar
Electric Propulsion, which we’ll need to send cargo as part of human
missions to Mars. (Watch Video: Asteroid Redirect Mission)

Finally, we become Earth Independent, building on what we’ve learned on
the space station and in deep space to send humans to low-Mars orbit in
the early 2030s.

This phase will also test the entry, descent and landing techniques
needed to get to the Martian surface and study what’s needed for in-situ
resource utilization or “living off the land.” NASA is already studying
potential “Exploration Zones” on Mars that would offer compelling
science research and provide resources our astronauts can use.

Science missions are already in the Independent phase, with the next
rover due in 2020. We will also conduct a round-trip robotic
demonstration mission with sample return in the late 2020s.

Mars is the next tangible frontier for human exploration, and it’s an
achievable goal. There are challenges to pioneering Mars, but we know
they are solvable. We are well on our way to getting there, landing
there, and living there.

Like This Post? ... Then Like Our Page :)

https://www.morningticker.com/2017/10/elon-musks-insane-new-plan-will-shock-you/

Unedited comments include
Bryan Herring ·
Cost Estimator at Northrop Grumman Corporation Aerospace Systems
This guy is DELUSIONAL.
Like · Reply · 2 · Oct 7, 2017 1:37pm

Thomas Blakeslee ·
Owner at Self-Employed
He's a genius and has proven it!
Like · Reply · 2 · Oct 7, 2017 2:29pm

Alan Wells ·
Boquete District
And I thought you were going to say Tesla made some money...
Like · Reply · 1 · Oct 7, 2017 2:37pm

Scott Plater ·
Honolulu, Hawaii
You obviously know nothing about Musk. He's silenced his doubters time
and time again, so prepare to eat your words. His nascent private space
company has already passed NASA in some very important aspects of space
travel. Better to aim high and miss by a little, than to aim low and hit
your target.
Like · Reply · 1 · Oct 7, 2017 2:41pm

Bryan Herring ·
Cost Estimator at Northrop Grumman Corporation Aerospace Systems
How many people will die when he misses?
Like · Reply · 12 hrs

Tony Huneycutt
he is a bull shitter!!!!
Like · Reply · Oct 7, 2017 5:14pm

Christopher Sakezles ·
Tampa, Florida
Musk is a visionary and he has the resources to make things happen. If
we get to Mars at all it will likely be due to private industry.
Like · Reply · Oct 7, 2017 5:33pm

Teejay Reed ·
Kansas City, Missouri
All faith in NASA has ended. Our space hopes are on the shoulders of
Space X and I hate to say...Blue Origin
Like · Reply · Oct 7, 2017 5:38pm

Donald Webb ·
Dartmouth College
Mr. Musk's ambition and technology are impressive. But what is his
vision? What is a base on Mars supposed to do? Manufacture fuel for a
return to Earth? Such a plan is almost comical.
An exploration colony would need at least a year's supply of air, food,
fuel and water. A permanent, self-sustaining colony would require
terraforming the planet. Where are the plans for that?
Unless and until would-be colonists can answer the question "Why?" human
space exploration remains a 20th-century science fiction dream, cf.
"Space Colonies: the Dark Side."
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/issu.../cc_space_webb.html
Like · Reply · 1 · Oct 7, 2017 5:57pm

J. Clarke

non lue,
8 oct. 2017, 22:26:3708/10/2017
On Sun, 8 Oct 2017 18:39:52 -0700, a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
Going to be interesting to see what happens. He generally eventually
accomplishes what he says but his timelines are usually way
optimistic. Unfortunately it looks like he may be about to take a
bath on Tesla--GM's reasonably priced electric is in full production
and you can pick one up from dealer stock tomorrow while the Tesla 3
is still not shipping and there are indications that Tesla is finding
out that running a production line is not as easy as they thought it
would be. And without income from Tesla he may not be able to ramp
SpaceX the way he wants to.

Meanwhile, in space Blue Origin is still behind the curve but they
have partners who _do_ know how to run production--the question is
whether they're going to grasp that the profit center is changing from
selling rockets to selling launches before SpaceX eats their lunch.

leif...@dimnakorr.com

non lue,
8 oct. 2017, 23:08:0008/10/2017
In rec.arts.sf.written a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> It???s perhaps one of the most looney plans you???re ever going to hear, but
> SpaceX founder Elon Musk thinks that we could actually start a human
> colony on Mars in just seven years, and begin building it in five.

Has he figured out what we're supposed to _do_ there, though?

--
Leif Roar Moldskred
Space-knitting?

J. Clarke

non lue,
8 oct. 2017, 23:38:0608/10/2017
On Sun, 08 Oct 2017 22:08:00 -0500, leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote:

>In rec.arts.sf.written a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It???s perhaps one of the most looney plans you???re ever going to hear, but
>> SpaceX founder Elon Musk thinks that we could actually start a human
>> colony on Mars in just seven years, and begin building it in five.
>
>Has he figured out what we're supposed to _do_ there, though?

Hang out, listen to tunes, drink, fornicate, the usual stuff.

leif...@dimnakorr.com

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 01:09:0709/10/2017
In rec.arts.sf.written J. Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hang out, listen to tunes, drink, fornicate, the usual stuff.

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

--
Leif Roar Moldskred
Besides, Mars is still on double secret probation from that whole

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 02:42:2309/10/2017
leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote in

> In rec.arts.sf.written a425couple <a425c...@hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> It???s perhaps one of the most looney plans you???re ever going
>> to hear, but SpaceX founder Elon Musk thinks that we could
>> actually start a human colony on Mars in just seven years, and
>> begin building it in five.
>
> Has he figured out what we're supposed to _do_ there, though?

Worhsip the Savior of Humanity, Elon Musk, of course!

--
Terry Austin

Vacation photos from Iceland:

-- David Bilek

Jesus forgives sinners, not criminals.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 02:42:5009/10/2017
J. Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote in
So long as the drinks are Kool-Aid, you might be onto something.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 02:43:1709/10/2017
leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote in

> In rec.arts.sf.written J. Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hang out, listen to tunes, drink, fornicate, the usual stuff.
>
> "Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

According to Fark, that's he *only* way to go through life.
Especially if your name is Florida Man.

J. Clarke

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 08:43:3209/10/2017
On Mon, 09 Oct 2017 00:09:06 -0500, leif...@dimnakorr.com wrote:

>In rec.arts.sf.written J. Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hang out, listen to tunes, drink, fornicate, the usual stuff.
>
>"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

So you clearly have some other idea what they would do, perhaps you
might want to share it.

I suspect that there are those who would rather take their chances
with King Elon the First of Mars than continue to put up with the
increasingly incompetent politicians on Earth.

Bast

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 11:37:5109/10/2017

a425couple wrote:
> Elon Musk's insane new plan will shock you
>
> (It sure seems to me like a decent sci-fi story.)
>
> OCTOBER 7, 2017 BY DAN TAYLOR
>
> Elon Musk's insane new plan will shock you
> The billionaire founder of SpaceX and Tesla thinks we can start a human
> colony on Mars as early as 2024, and he's going to try to prove it.
>
> It's perhaps one of the most looney plans you're ever going to hear, but
> SpaceX founder Elon Musk thinks that we could actually start a human
> colony on Mars in just seven years, and begin building it in five. NASA
> is working on a more conservative but still wildly ambitious timetable
> of getting man to Mars in the 2030s, but Musk thinks it could be done a
> lot sooner, according to remarks from a speech in Australia last week.

As long as this guy keeps getting government money to fund this idiocy.
He would be stupid not to take advantage of it.

Hägar

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 11:45:5309/10/2017
"Bast" wrote in message news:org54f$rtc$1...@dont-email.me...
*** As long as he bans Liberals from going to the Red Planet, he'll
in all likelihood be successful. Of course, the first Government
excursion to Mars will be nothing but free loaders and the usual
leeches, to offset Elon Musk's success.

J. Clarke

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 12:19:0309/10/2017
On Mon, 9 Oct 2017 11:37:44 -0400, "Bast" <fake...@nomail.invalid>
wrote:
Nice try, Terry. <plonk>

Bast

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 13:03:2609/10/2017
Terry ?????
....Let me guess,....you are a tesla stock owner ?

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 13:20:0509/10/2017
J. Clarke <jclarke...@gmail.com> wrote in
You need to adjust your tinfoil hat, son. Or learn to read headers.
Or lean to read.

Gutless Umbrella Carrying Sissy

non lue,
9 oct. 2017, 13:20:3109/10/2017
"Bast" <fake...@nomail.invalid> wrote in
No, he's just stupid. And weak. And stupid.

Plus, he's stupid.
0 nouveau message