BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu

Denn

Mar 6, 2019, 11:42:20 AM3/6/19
If any one is interested in adding the BBSLink scores as a drop down menu in
webv4
I have created the files for each game score that can be viewed from a drop
down menu.
you can get the file here->
http://halopc.ddns.net/files/bbslink.zip
just create a folder called bbslink in your \sbbs\webv4\pages\ and drop all
the .txt files in the bbslink folder
\sbbs\webv4\pages\bbslink <-should look like that.
thats it you'll now have a drop down menu in webv4 that will show you all
bbslink score's individually in a nice centered format.
you can checkout this drop down menu on my website
outwestbbs.com

---
ţ Synchronet ţ outwestbbs.com - the Outwest BBS
--- Synchronet 3.17c-Win32 NewsLink 1.110
* Vertrauen - Riverside County, California - telnet://vert.synchro.net

Mortifis

Mar 6, 2019, 12:04:15 PM3/6/19
To: Denn
> If any one is interested in adding the BBSLink scores as a drop down menu in
> webv4
> I have created the files for each game score that can be viewed from a drop
> down menu.
> you can get the file here->
> http://halopc.ddns.net/files/bbslink.zip
> just create a folder called bbslink in your \sbbs\webv4\pages\ and drop all
> the .txt files in the bbslink folder
> \sbbs\webv4\pages\bbslink <-should look like that.
> thats it you'll now have a drop down menu in webv4 that will show you all
> bbslink score's individually in a nice centered format.
> you can checkout this drop down menu on my website
> outwestbbs.com

What if some are still using the stock /sbbs/web themes or webv3, or have made
a custom web theme? Are these BBSLink Scores only compatible with webv4?

2 wrongs don't make a right, but 3 left turns will get you back on the freeway!

---
ş Synchronet ş AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81

Denn

Mar 6, 2019, 2:44:17 PM3/6/19
To: Mortifis
> What if some are still using the stock /sbbs/web themes or webv3, or have
> made a custom web theme? Are these BBSLink Scores only compatible with
> webv4?

You should be able to make it work with the stock web and webv3 as the code is
html.

---
ş Synchronet ş outwestbbs.com - the Outwest BBS

echicken

Mar 7, 2019, 11:51:00 AM3/7/19
To: Mortifis
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: Mortifis to Denn on Wed Mar 06 2019 12:56:42

Mo> What if some are still using the stock /sbbs/web themes or webv3, or have

The answer to "What if I'm still using ecweb v3" is always "switch to webv4".
I will not ever assist anyone in troubleshooting v3 or commit any fixes to it.
It's dead.

If you're using the Runemaster UI or your own concoction, here's the info I can
give you:

A "Page" in webv4 is just an HTML snippet. It shouldn't have <html>, <head>,
or <body> tags in it. It's meant to be included within another HTML document.
So just read the file from disk and include it inline in a page from your own
UI.

The first *comment* line of a Page is its title and control line. Details on
the wiki at my github repo:

https://github.com/echicken/synchronet-web-v4/wiki/Customization#pages

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
ş Synchronet ş electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

Mortifis

Mar 7, 2019, 2:54:52 PM3/7/19
To: echicken
> Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
> By: Mortifis to Denn on Wed Mar 06 2019 12:56:42

> Mo> What if some are still using the stock /sbbs/web themes or webv3, or
> Mo> have

> The answer to "What if I'm still using ecweb v3" is always "switch to
> webv4". I will not ever assist anyone in troubleshooting v3 or commit any
> fixes to it. It's dead.

> If you're using the Runemaster UI or your own concoction, here's the info I
> can give you:

> A "Page" in webv4 is just an HTML snippet. It shouldn't have <html>,
> <head>, or <body> tags in it. It's meant to be included within another HTML
> document. So just read the file from disk and include it inline in a page
> from your own UI.

> The first *comment* line of a Page is its title and control line. Details
> on the wiki at my github repo:

> https://github.com/echicken/synchronet-web-v4/wiki/Customization#pages

I must say, you're web interface is very concise ... I am very impressed ... I
must also say that the way SBBS has progressed in it's use of JS is
considerably more advanced that anything else appearing ... anywhere ... I,
personally wish there was a mention of you on the wiki, though. I do not have
a reluctance .... In '95 I failed my 1st semester at Atlantic Computer
Institute because my term project was to develop a payroll program, the program
I wrote included the 1984 Tax guide for payroll deductions ... the program
itself was 98% but I failed because of documentation which was 75% of the grade
... my final mark was 23% huh ... so I do get a bit miffed about documentation
:-P

however, I do like all of the changes to SBBS and I am very willing to
'donate' ... just sayin

The Granny Lane, where seasoned drivers slow down and smell the blacktop roses

---
ş Synchronet ş AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81

echicken

Mar 7, 2019, 3:37:48 PM3/7/19
To: Mortifis
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: Mortifis to echicken on Thu Mar 07 2019 15:49:36

Mo> I must say, you're web interface is very concise ... I am very impressed
Mo> ... I must also say that the way SBBS has progressed in it's use of JS is
Mo> considerably more advanced that anything else appearing ... anywhere ...

I may be wrong to say that Synchronet is fairly unique in this way, but it's
rare in this space to see a project with such extensive scripting hooks that
are also so well documented. Part of that is down to the devs' foresight in
using documentation-generating code & comments.

I like Mystic, but I found that MPL was either underdocumented or overly
constrained. I think its Python integration is promising, but it either
doesn't hook into the BBS very much, or where it does, it isn't documented - or
I haven't looked hard enough.

Perhaps the more scripty projects (x84, Enigma 1/2, etc.) have advantages in
this area. I haven't looked closely at other BBS packages in some time.

Mo> I, personally wish there was a mention of you on the wiki, though. I do

I haven't added myself to any wiki pages because it feels a bit masturbatory to
do so. I'm not sure what there would be to say about me that's of any real
interest to anyone. :)

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
ş Synchronet ş electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

Nightfox

Mar 7, 2019, 4:48:11 PM3/7/19
To: echicken
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: echicken to Mortifis on Thu Mar 07 2019 03:37 pm

ec> I may be wrong to say that Synchronet is fairly unique in this way, but
ec> it's rare in this space to see a project with such extensive scripting
ec> hooks that are also so well documented. Part of that is down to the devs'
ec> foresight in using documentation-generating code & comments.

I think documentation is important, and I think code comments are very
important, but I often feel like code comments aren't the right place for
customer/user-facing documentation (for coders who will use the library). I
usually feel that code comments are for developers, so it seems weird to me to
generate API documentation from code comments. There are some places where I
think it's convenient though, such as taking comments from function
declarations (which developers need anyway) and creating a document from that.

Nightfox

---
ş Synchronet ş Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

echicken

Mar 7, 2019, 5:15:12 PM3/7/19
To: Nightfox
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: Nightfox to echicken on Thu Mar 07 2019 13:18:30

Ni> important, but I often feel like code comments aren't the right place for
Ni> customer/user-facing documentation (for coders who will use the library).
Ni> I usually feel that code comments are for developers, so it seems weird to
Ni> me to generate API documentation from code comments. There are some places

It's a pretty common practice; JSDoc and ESDoc are widely used. It's no
weirder than writing markup/markdown, really, even if you're not accustomed to
including comments that must follow a certain structure. It's something you do
in addition to whatever other comments you might normally add to a file.

Ni> me to generate API documentation from code comments. There are some places
Ni> where I think it's convenient though, such as taking comments from
Ni> function declarations (which developers need anyway) and creating a
Ni> document from that.

This is pretty much what it amounts to. Normally any other random comments you
include in your file in the middle of some function or whatever aren't included
in the generated API docs.

At some point I'd like to start adding this self-documentation to various JS
libraries included with Synchronet, and see about maybe publishing them
somewhere (the wiki perhaps). I imagine there are folks out there who might
use some of this stuff if it were easier to figure out how, or if they knew it
existed.

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
ş Synchronet ş electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

Nightfox

Mar 7, 2019, 6:48:51 PM3/7/19
To: echicken
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: echicken to Nightfox on Thu Mar 07 2019 05:13 pm

Ni>> important, but I often feel like code comments aren't the right
Ni>> place for customer/user-facing documentation (for coders who will
Ni>> use the library). I usually feel that code comments are for
Ni>> developers, so it seems weird to me to generate API documentation
Ni>> from code comments. There are some places

ec> It's a pretty common practice; JSDoc and ESDoc are widely used. It's no
ec> weirder than writing markup/markdown, really, even if you're not
ec> accustomed to including comments that must follow a certain structure.
ec> It's something you do in addition to whatever other comments you might
ec> normally add to a file.

Yeah, there have been some projects where we've used Doxygen and similar tools
to generate HTML documentation from class/function comments in C++ code.

ec> At some point I'd like to start adding this self-documentation to various
ec> JS libraries included with Synchronet, and see about maybe publishing them
ec> somewhere (the wiki perhaps). I imagine there are folks out there who
ec> might use some of this stuff if it were easier to figure out how, or if
ec> they knew it existed.

Yeah, I think I saw an index of JS libraries in exec\load appear on the
Synchronet wiki a little while ago. I had sometimes thought that might be
useful, with at least some of the JS libraries documented so that sysops are
more aware of what's available there and how to use the JS libraries so they
don't always have to re-invent the wheel.
http://wiki.synchro.net/custom:javascript:lib:index

Nightfox

---
ş Synchronet ş Digital Distortion: digitaldistortionbbs.com

Mortifis

Mar 7, 2019, 9:39:54 PM3/7/19
To: echicken
> Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
> By: Mortifis to echicken on Thu Mar 07 2019 15:49:36

> Mo> I, personally wish there was a mention of you on the wiki, though. I
do

> I haven't added myself to any wiki pages because it feels a bit masturbatory
> to do so. I'm not sure what there would be to say about me that's of any
> real interest to anyone. :)

Derick the enigma

The Granny Lane, where seasoned drivers slow down and smell the blacktop roses

---
ţ Synchronet ţ AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81

Zazz

Mar 7, 2019, 9:44:40 PM3/7/19
To: echicken
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: echicken to Mortifis on Thu Mar 07 2019 11:46:41

ec> The first *comment* line of a Page is its title and control line. Details
ec> on the wiki at my github repo:

ec> https://github.com/echicken/synchronet-web-v4/wiki/Customization#pages

Good info. I will study this. I can create a web html page and was wondering
how to add to ecWebv4.
Ruben Figueroa
aka Zazz
PBSync Prison BBS
[1:124/5014.4]

---
ş Synchronet ş PBSync Prison BBS - wcalt.rdfig.net

Digital Man

Mar 8, 2019, 2:58:13 AM3/8/19
To: echicken
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: echicken to Mortifis on Thu Mar 07 2019 03:37 pm

> I haven't added myself to any wiki pages because it feels a bit masturbatory
> to do so.

Which is the best reason to do so! :-)

digital man

Synchronet/BBS Terminology Definition #52:
POP3 = Post Office Protocol version 3
Norco, CA WX: 47.0øF, 90.0% humidity, 4 mph E wind, 0.02 inches rain/24hrs

James Coyle

Mar 8, 2019, 4:45:22 AM3/8/19
To: echicken
ec> I like Mystic, but I found that MPL was either underdocumented or overly
ec> constrained. I think its Python integration is promising, but it either

I won't discuss this here (after this post) but I feel I should at least
solicit input, so if you have any real world suggestions or questions please
feel free to shoot me a message somewhere more appropriate! :)

If you're comparing MPL to C++ then sure its constrained. But more
realistically it compares to BAJA and in that sense its not constrained.

(MPL is to BAJA, as Python is to JavaScript).

It does have plenty of limitations but its syntactically similar to Pascal 5,
and people have ported old WWIV Pascal doors to MPL without major overhaul. If
you wanted to code TradeWars, BRE, or LORD in MPL you could.

Documentation for MPL and Python is hot garbage! Feel free to help me! ;)

ec> constrained. I think its Python integration is promising, but it either
ec> doesn't hook into the BBS very much, or where it does, it isn't
ec> documented - or I haven't looked hard enough.

Every piece of text in Mystic can be replaced by MPL or Python so I may be
misunderstanding the hooking statement. You can also run them from command
line, menus, and there are a few auto executing scripts that run in certain
situations (as people have asked for them). Not sure how Synchronet does it
but if you think something specific is missing please let me know!

I tend to add things only when people ask for something. Mystic doesn't have
many people writing code for it and much is driven by their requests (or mostly
the lack thereof).

You can access msg groups, msg bases, msg reading, file groups, file bases,
themes, users, etc with Python functions. And Python has a strong community and
usable package manager that works with Mystic Python.

I have a long TODO list set aside but feel free to let me know what you think
is missing if you have any examples! I'm always interested in what modders want
to see.

Anyway back to my cave, sorry for the intrusion :)

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Sector 7 (1:129/215)

echicken

Mar 8, 2019, 11:13:01 AM3/8/19
To: James Coyle
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: James Coyle to echicken on Fri Mar 08 2019 01:16:35

JC> If you're comparing MPL to C++ then sure its constrained. But more
JC> realistically it compares to BAJA and in that sense its not constrained.

JC> (MPL is to BAJA, as Python is to JavaScript).

That's pretty much how I see it. I don't mean to dump on MPL; it has a pretty
specific purpose and scope and gets the job done.

I haven't written anything in MPL for the better part of ten years, so I'm
really talking out of my ass here and nobody should take me seriously. I like
Mystic quite a lot, but am really quite entrenched in Synchro-land.

JC> Documentation for MPL and Python is hot garbage! Feel free to help me! ;)

I think my main concern or suspicion is that there are things you can do with
both which aren't documented. This may or may not be the case. I believe this
thread was mostly about someone's ability to make the most of an IPL based on
documentation available, without having to find out about functionality through
say, tips from the author, or examining disparate bits of example code.

JC> You can access msg groups, msg bases, msg reading, file groups, file
JC> bases, themes, users, etc with Python functions. And Python has a strong
JC> community and usable package manager that works with Mystic Python.

I think Python's a fine choice. Mainly I'm not sure I'd be able to make the
most of its integration with Mystic based on, say, this:

http://wiki.mysticbbs.com/doku.php?id=python_functions

But I haven't really given it an honest try, and I'm pretty happy in my
Synchronet bubble for now. :D

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
ş Synchronet ş electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

James Coyle

Mar 9, 2019, 12:55:32 PM3/9/19
To: echicken
ec> I think Python's a fine choice. Mainly I'm not sure I'd be able to make
ec> the most of its integration with Mystic based on, say, this:
ec>
ec> http://wiki.mysticbbs.com/doku.php?id=python_functions

I probably would have picked JavaScript if Synchronet didn't already do it so
instead I looked at LUA and Python, ultimately deciding on Python just because
of its package management/community (LUA is faster and much better/easier to
embed).

I know I said I wasn't going to reply here again, but you're kind of doubling
down on this without really telling me anything. :P For the record I don't
care that you're criticizing, what I am after is understanding if there are
some things I can work on.

There are only like 70 functions on that page but they are all specific to BBS
access. You have full access to users, syscfg, groups, file lists/areas, msg
reading/areas, menus, doors, themes, prompts, access evaluation, etc.

That list does not include the stuff brought in from Python itself which covers
strings, datetime, file I/O, sockets, servers, ZIP compression, cryptography,
SQL access... Mystic Python does all of that stuff and in addition has access
to PIP (the Python package manager and community mods). If you really wanted
to get crazy you can even wrap Pascal or C/C++ code into Mystic Python!

Anyway if there is anything that stands out to you that makes you think you
couldn't do what you need (and you're saying there is) please let me know what
that is!

--- Mystic BBS v1.12 A43 2019/03/02 (Linux/64)
* Origin: Sector 7 (1:129/215)

echicken

Mar 9, 2019, 2:16:26 PM3/9/19
To: James Coyle
Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
By: James Coyle to echicken on Sat Mar 09 2019 09:52:14

JC> There are only like 70 functions on that page but they are all specific to
JC> BBS access. You have full access to users, syscfg, groups, file
JC> lists/areas, msg reading/areas, menus, doors, themes, prompts, access
JC> evaluation, etc.

What I see is a list of function names, no details about parameters they take
or values they return. Maybe I'm just missing something or have the wrong
idea. Those are the sorts of details I expect in an API doc. Maybe they
aren't needed here for whatever reason, and maybe if I actually tried to do
something it would become clear. Maybe I'm reading the wrong page.

JC> That list does not include the stuff brought in from Python itself which
JC> covers strings, datetime, file I/O, sockets, servers, ZIP compression,

I wouldn't expect it to document anything outside of what Mystic brings to the
environment. That is very far from what I was trying to suggest and would be
way out of scope.

JC> I know I said I wasn't going to reply here again, but you're kind of
JC> doubling down on this without really telling me anything. :P For the

I made an offhand comment and inadvertently started this. I can't be super
specific because I haven't made an honest effort at doing anything with MPL in
many years, and I've really only glanced at Python+Mystic a few times. I'm not
coming into this with certainty or a very strong opinion, or even thinking that
I'm right. :D

JC> I know I said I wasn't going to reply here again, but you're kind of

Not intending to drag this on, I just tend to reply if I have something to say,
whether the other guy wants to keep it up. (I also *try* not to reply if I
have nothing new to add, but often fail.)

---
echicken
electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com - 416-425-5435
ş Synchronet ş electronic chicken bbs - bbs.electronicchicken.com

Mortifis

Mar 9, 2019, 3:40:08 PM3/9/19
To: Digital Man
> Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
> By: echicken to Mortifis on Thu Mar 07 2019 03:37 pm

> > I haven't added myself to any wiki pages because it feels a bit
> > masturbatory to do so.

> Which is the best reason to do so! :-)

> digital man
I'm just sayin :-) I mean, I have good reason to not go and add anything since
I haven't contributed anything but a reason for developers to occasionally
require prozac or a few stiff drinks :)

The Granny Lane, where seasoned drivers slow down and smell the blacktop roses

---
ş Synchronet ş AlleyCat! BBS - http://alleycat.synchro.net:81

Mortifis

Mar 9, 2019, 3:40:08 PM3/9/19
To: echicken
> Re: Re: BBSLink Scores - Drop down menu
> By: James Coyle to echicken on Sat Mar 09 2019 09:52:14

> JC> There are only like 70 functions on that page but they are all specific
> JC> to BBS access. You have full access to users, syscfg, groups, file
> JC> lists/areas, msg reading/areas, menus, doors, themes, prompts, access
> JC> evaluation, etc.

> What I see is a list of function names, no details about parameters they
> take or values they return. Maybe I'm just missing something or have the
> wrong idea. Those are the sorts of details I expect in an API doc. Maybe
> they aren't needed here for whatever reason, and maybe if I actually tried
> to do something it would become clear. Maybe I'm reading the wrong page.

> JC> That list does not include the stuff brought in from Python itself
> JC> which covers strings, datetime, file I/O, sockets, servers, ZIP
> JC> compression,

> I wouldn't expect it to document anything outside of what Mystic brings to
> the environment. That is very far from what I was trying to suggest and
> would be way out of scope.

> JC> I know I said I wasn't going to reply here again, but you're kind of
> JC> doubling down on this without really telling me anything. :P For the

> I made an offhand comment and inadvertently started this. I can't be super
> specific because I haven't made an honest effort at doing anything with MPL
> in many years, and I've really only glanced at Python+Mystic a few times.
> I'm not coming into this with certainty or a very strong opinion, or even
> thinking that I'm right. :D

> JC> I know I said I wasn't going to reply here again, but you're kind of

> Not intending to drag this on, I just tend to reply if I have something to
> say, whether the other guy wants to keep it up. (I also *try* not to reply
> if I have nothing new to add, but often fail.)

I'm feeling a bit SynchroMystified ... head spins