Is Carbonite any good?

FERRANTE

Feb 1, 2009, 4:20:45 PM2/1/09
Is Carbonite good for online backup? Kim Komando pushes it and PC Mag
gave it a good review, with some exceptions
(http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp dated). I have
also come across a lot of complaints against this company.

Can someone recommend a good company and why it is good? And which
ones to stay away from?

Lastly, is software backup a good way to go vs. online? I thought
about getting Cyberscrub (http://www.cyberscrub.com/products/backup/).
Anyone know anything about this company?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

Roy Smith

Feb 22, 2009, 10:52:28 AM2/22/09
FERRANTE wrote:
> Is Carbonite good for online backup? Kim Komando pushes it and PC Mag
> gave it a good review, with some exceptions
> (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2288745,00.asp dated). I have
> also come across a lot of complaints against this company.

Carbonite is good if you only want to backup your data that you've
created. However if you're looking for a means to be able to restore
your system to a previous state, then Carbonite is not what you're
looking for. In the event of a system crash, with Carbonite you would
have to reinstall your OS and all the programs you normally use. Then
you'd use Carbonite to restore your mp3's, pictures, and any other
documents you had them archive.

Another thing about Carbonite is since it's a online service, you have
to be connected to the internet at all times for the service to work.
In addition the initial backup can take several days if you have a lot
of mp3's or other documents.

> Lastly, is software backup a good way to go vs. online? I thought
> about getting Cyberscrub (http://www.cyberscrub.com/products/backup/).
> Anyone know anything about this company?

I don't know about that company, I use Acronis True Image myself. IMHO
using a backup program and a USB drive is the better choice than using
an online service.