timing belt == timing chain?

thr...@my-deja.com

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
I keep seeing mention of timing belt on these japanese cars. Is the
timing belt the same as the timing chain? The chilton manual I look
at for the GM 2.8L engine only mention timing chain and no mention of
timing belt whatsoever, so I think these are the same thing?

By the way, these folks with Hondas, and Toyotas keep saying change
the timing belt after 100k over and over again. Are we supposed to
do the same with GM cars? ie are we suppose to have the timing chain?
replaced every 100K or so? Thanx

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

R Smith

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
They preform the same function but they are indeed two different things.
The belts are a toothed rubber composite, I think its Neoprene. They do
wear out over time as all fan belts do but because their function is to keep
the timing of the valves in sync with the operation of the cylinders it is
important that these belts stay in good condition in order to operate. Alot
of todays cars, Hondas definitely but not all Toyotas use an
interference-type engine design. That is the valves open into an area of
space that the pistons can travel but of course never at the same time. If
the timing belt breaks on this type of motor the results can be disaterous
as the resulting collision creates and expensive valve job in addition to
the replacement of the timing belt. Timing belts, in most cars, should be
replaced every 60K just to be safe and to save you the cost of a valve job.
As for cars with a timing chain, like alot of Nissans and apparently your GM
vehicle, there is no scheduled replacement as they are usually more
complicated to replace and alot less likely to break. I think the reason
that alot of cars switched to belts was because they were easier to change.
I know that my old '80 Toy Tercel used a belt so they have been around for a
while.

Rob Smith

Bob May

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Many of the jap cars (probably all) have gone to belts rather than
chains to quiet the engine. Does the same chore of getting the crank
rotation up to the camshaft(s).
--
Bob May

Don't subscribe to ACCESS1 for your webserver for the low prices. The
service has
been lousy and has been poor for the last year. Bob May

shelbydude

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
Timing belts and Timing chain serve the same purpose. They both drive your
cam anc crankshaft. On most Jap cars, if not all, have to change the
timing belt at about 60,000 to 90,000 miles due to the if the timing belt
breaks, it will drop the valves down to where the pistons will hit them.
Jap cars do this because of their high compression ratio. They have very
little clearance between the pistons and valves. American cars usually
have enough room so that if the timing belt breaks the pistons and valves
will not hit. Your manual should tell you if you need to replace it at
certain miles or it won't say anything, if you don't have to worry about it
untils it breaks or lose teeth.

JJ

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Tue, 09 May 2000 17:47:41 GMT, thr...@my-deja.com wrote:

>I keep seeing mention of timing belt on these japanese cars. Is the
>timing belt the same as the timing chain? The chilton manual I look
>at for the GM 2.8L engine only mention timing chain and no mention of
>timing belt whatsoever, so I think these are the same thing?
>
>By the way, these folks with Hondas, and Toyotas keep saying change
>the timing belt after 100k over and over again. Are we supposed to
>do the same with GM cars? ie are we suppose to have the timing chain?
>replaced every 100K or so? Thanx

With proper maintenance i.e. oil changes, the timing CHAIN should last
the life of the car. The engine most likely will fall apart around it.

PattiW.

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
The hell you say. OHC engines have too long a spread between the crank and
cam. A chain requires guides, tensioners and oilers.
Bob May <bob...@nethere.com> wrote in message

R Smith

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
There really doesnt seem to be any 'general rules' as far as what kind of
car will have a chain, and of those which will have the interference design.
For Example, most Toyota motors use a non-interference design and most
Nissans as of 1992, use a chain instead of a belt. So you can never tell
unless you check your manual.

Rob Smith

"shelbydude" <shelby...@mopar.com> wrote in message

> Timing belts and Timing chain serve the same purpose. They both drive
your
> cam anc crankshaft. On most Jap cars, if not all, have to change the
> timing belt at about 60,000 to 90,000 miles due to the if the timing belt
> breaks, it will drop the valves down to where the pistons will hit them.
> Jap cars do this because of their high compression ratio. They have very
> little clearance between the pistons and valves. American cars usually
> have enough room so that if the timing belt breaks the pistons and valves
> will not hit. Your manual should tell you if you need to replace it at
> certain miles or it won't say anything, if you don't have to worry about
it
> untils it breaks or lose teeth.
> thr...@my-deja.com wrote in message <8f9ivm$jov$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>...

> >I keep seeing mention of timing belt on these japanese cars. Is the
> >timing belt the same as the timing chain? The chilton manual I look
> >at for the GM 2.8L engine only mention timing chain and no mention of
> >timing belt whatsoever, so I think these are the same thing?
> >
> >By the way, these folks with Hondas, and Toyotas keep saying change
> >the timing belt after 100k over and over again. Are we supposed to
> >do the same with GM cars? ie are we suppose to have the timing chain?
> >replaced every 100K or so? Thanx

Robert Hancock

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Timing belts are just that, a rubber belt. A timing chain is a metal chain
which lasts quite a bit longer, usually the life of the engine (the
disadvantage is that they can't handle as high speeds and may be noisier).
Historically GM and other American car makers have used chains instead of
belts, Japanese car makers usually use belts, and European car makers seem
to go either way. Belts typically should be replaced somewhere between
60,000 and 100,000 miles depending on the model. This is especially
important on engines of an interference design, where if the belt breaks,
the pistons will hit the valves which can cause expensive engine damage.

This page lists the replacement intervals and whether the engine is
interference for many vehicles. If the vehicle isn't listed it probably
doesn't use a belt.

http://www.gates.com/pdf/tbelt.pdf

--
Robert Hancock Saskatoon, SK, Canada
To email, remove "nospam" from hanc...@nospamhome.com

Fox

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
The belt and chain are doing the same job but are different. The belt
is more like the belts that drive the alternator and such, the chain is
like a bicycle chain with gears and such and requires oiling. I've
heard the terms interchange a lot.

In article <8f9ivm$jov$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Toby Hanson

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
In article <Ig6S4.132919$l41.5...@news1.sshe1.sk.home.com>, "Robert
Hancock" <hanc...@nospamhome.com> wrote:

>Timing belts are just that, a rubber belt. A timing chain is a metal chain
>which lasts quite a bit longer, usually the life of the engine (the
>disadvantage is that they can't handle as high speeds and may be noisier).
>Historically GM and other American car makers have used chains instead of
>belts, Japanese car makers usually use belts, and European car makers seem
>to go either way. Belts typically should be replaced somewhere between
>60,000 and 100,000 miles depending on the model. This is especially
>important on engines of an interference design, where if the belt breaks,
>the pistons will hit the valves which can cause expensive engine damage.

I've got a question: why do the sprockets on my 307 have teflon teeth?
Planned obsolescence? Noise? A desire to be more space-age? When I did
the chain and sprockets on my 82 LeSabre I replaced them with metal
sprockets. Why not just use metal from the get-go?

--
|| -President of the Derek Milhous Zumsteg Fan Club since 1989- ||
|| "How can he be so skinny and live so fat?"! Derek for M's GM ! ||

PerryM

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Tue, 9 May 2000 11:46:43 -0700, "Bob May" <bob...@nethere.com>
wrote:

>Many of the jap cars (probably all) have gone to belts rather than
>chains to quiet the engine. Does the same chore of getting the crank
>rotation up to the camshaft(s).

The Nissan V-6 uses a timing chain.

thr...@my-deja.com

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00

But isn't SOHC, DOHC engines have the camshaft at the top of the
engine whereby it drives the valves directly without the use of the
pushrod et al ? The question is then does DOHC/SOHC still need a
timing chain/belt?

> The hell you say. OHC engines have too long a spread between the crank
and
> cam. A chain requires guides, tensioners and oilers.
> Bob May <bob...@nethere.com> wrote in message

> > Many of the jap cars (probably all) have gone to belts rather than
> > chains to quiet the engine. Does the same chore of getting the
crank
> > rotation up to the camshaft(s).

> > --
> > Bob May
> >
> > Don't subscribe to ACCESS1 for your webserver for the low prices.
The
> > service has
> > been lousy and has been poor for the last year. Bob May

--
What signature?

Mike

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Yes. The timing chain/belt still drives the cam/cams, no matter where
it/they are.

Bob May

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
That (nylon teeth) was done to make the engine quieter. AFIK, the
difference is very minimal and since I just had one shred on me, I
personally think that they are a stupid idea.

Gummo

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
they will wear out, makes parts people happy.

PattiW.

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
OHV = crank at bottom, cam in middle.
OHC = crank at bottom, cam on top.
<thr...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8fbrda$3ll$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> But isn't SOHC, DOHC engines have the camshaft at the top of the
> engine whereby it drives the valves directly without the use of the
> pushrod et al ? The question is then does DOHC/SOHC still need a
> timing chain/belt?
>

> > The hell you say. OHC engines have too long a spread between the crank
> and
> > cam. A chain requires guides, tensioners and oilers.
> > Bob May <bob...@nethere.com> wrote in message
> > > Many of the jap cars (probably all) have gone to belts rather than
> > > chains to quiet the engine. Does the same chore of getting the
> crank
> > > rotation up to the camshaft(s).
> > > --
> > > Bob May
> > >
> > > Don't subscribe to ACCESS1 for your webserver for the low prices.
> The
> > > service has
> > > been lousy and has been poor for the last year. Bob May

PattiW.

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
o y 8 that 2? Nylon gears are much cheaper to make. No machining to speak
of. Nylon is good enough for "government".

> That (nylon teeth) was done to make the engine quieter. AFIK, the
> difference is very minimal and since I just had one shred on me, I
> personally think that they are a stupid idea.

Ryan

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
thr...@my-deja.com wrote:

> But isn't SOHC, DOHC engines have the camshaft at the top of the
> engine whereby it drives the valves directly without the use of the
> pushrod et al ? The question is then does DOHC/SOHC still need a
> timing chain/belt?

Camshafts in a 4-cycle engine must *ALWAYS* be driven at 1/2 the rotational
speed of the crankshaft. This is *ALWAYS* accomplished through one of three
methods: gears, belt, or chain. It doesn't really matter which is used --
what matters is that the camshaft is rotated in synchronization at exactly
1/2 the crank's RPM. The overhead cam, or OHC (single, dual, whatever)
design simply places the camshaft directly atop the valves, eliminating
excess moving parts inside the engine, making the engine more
energy-efficient, and by reducing the number of moving parts, you not only
eliminate weight that must be reciprocated as the engine operates, but
you've also reduced the breakage risk: Less stuff there is, the less can
potentially be damaged by poor maintenance or outright abuse. In an OHV
(overhead valve) style engine, the camshaft is located alongside the
cylinders, and instead of pushing the valves down, it pushes UP on the
pushrods, which push on rocker arms. Rockers have a pivot point in the
middle, and when pushed up on one end by the upward-moving pushrod, the
opposite end of the rockers will, in turn, "rock" (hence the name) downward,
pushing the valves down do open them. A little bit more complex than the
OHC style, but it's been used for ages, and I doubt this (nearly) antique
design will go away completely anytime in the near future, due to tradition,
if nothing else. But to get back to the question, yes... A camshaft
requires some sort of mechanism to drive its rotation in relation to the
rotation of the crankshaft.

PattiW.

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00
Too bad that the cam days are about over. The coming gig is electrically
controlled valves.
Ryan <confede...@yahoo.nojunkmail.com> wrote in message