Non interference engine

yep

Nov 18, 2002, 1:17:20 PM11/18/02
But,

I have owned two of the engines you have and one of them I put 173000 on
before changing the chain. It lead to the chain stretching and eating a
hole in the water pump?

Cheap insurance to change it every 100000.

--
Thanks,
Dave

"The Penguy"
www.penguy.com
pen...@houston.rr.com

Deer Antler And Exotic Wood Pens Starting at $16.00

PS We offer a 15% discount on your next order if we receive a sell from a
referral from you. If the referral order is over $200.00 you receive a pen
of your choice free.

__o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

"Thomas Grinnell" <tho...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I had some work done on my '90 4-runner 22RE. I wanted them to check the
> timing chain because the motor has 126k but it is running smoothly. The
> mechanic said the 22RE is a non-interference engine meaning if the timing
> chain were to break the valves would not contact the pistons resulting in
> major damage. The engine will simply stop running and it will have to be
> towed and have the timing chain replaced. A chart listed the destructive
> engines and they all seemed to have a timing belt rather than a timing
> chain. That's a relief.

Dan G

Nov 18, 2002, 11:58:14 AM11/18/02
with the chain, the real issue is the damage done when the chain stretches
and eats the chain cover, water pump, tensioner, and more.

David J and Lynne J Shepherd

Nov 18, 2002, 11:49:27 AM11/18/02
I think if you check this out further you will find that is indeed an
interference engine.

"Thomas Grinnell" <tho...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I had some work done on my '90 4-runner 22RE. I wanted them to check the
> timing chain because the motor has 126k but it is running smoothly. The
> mechanic said the 22RE is a non-interference engine meaning if the timing
> chain were to break the valves would not contact the pistons resulting in
> major damage. The engine will simply stop running and it will have to be
> towed and have the timing chain replaced. A chart listed the destructive
> engines and they all seemed to have a timing belt rather than a timing
> chain. That's a relief.

Thomas Grinnell

Nov 18, 2002, 11:19:56 AM11/18/02

Grinder

Nov 20, 2002, 10:52:09 AM11/20/02

"David J and Lynne J Shepherd" <djsl...@capital.net> wrote in message

> I think if you check this out further you will find that is indeed an
> interference engine.

You're right. I called the shop and they said it should be replaced at 60k
miles. Then they realized I was talking about a 22RE timing chain and they
said to leave it alone until I hear knocking noise. They mentioned it is
replaced on an "as needed" basis. I checked the owner's manual and there is
no mention of when the timing chain should be replaced.