Camry V6 Spark plugs...

Andre Chiu

Feb 13, 2002, 11:01:08 PM2/13/02

I've got a question for those in the know out there -- Do I
*really* need to use the recommended 2-ground electrode
platinum plugs for the Camry V6 (1MZ-FE)??

They're bloody expensive -- the dealer wants $20 CDN each.

Is it possible to use a more standard single ground plug?

Heck, could I even use copper? From a performance standpoint,
I would expect copper to do better as it's a better conductor
than platinum... Of course, they won't last as long, but at
$2 a piece, I'd probably change them once a year anyhow...

Thanks,
/ac

ROBMURR

Feb 13, 2002, 11:34:13 PM2/13/02
>Subject: Camry V6 Spark plugs...
>From: Andre Chiu d...@rogers.com
>Date: 2/13/02 11:01 PM Eastern Standard Time
I have not had any problems running the single electrode plugs
in my 4 cylinder. But trust me you do not want to change plugs
on that engine every year...very tough to do. Not sure what year
camry or how many miles but the platinum plugs will last a long
time!
Rob

MDT Tech®

Feb 13, 2002, 11:47:42 PM2/13/02

AC, the only reason they use this type of plug is to keep intervals at
60K, if you go to a single electrode platinum, it will need to be done
at 30K miles, use the standard plug, non platinum and do it every 7,500
miles, use the double electrode, non platinum, go 15K miles, after you
change these, you may just decide to do the original platinum's again.
--

MDT Tech®

Ray OŽ

Feb 13, 2002, 11:59:11 PM2/13/02

"Andre Chiu" <d...@rogers.com> wrote in message
==================
I can't say for certain on your particular car, but in my
experience, using non-EOM plugs is a hit or miss
proposition. Sometimes you don't have any problems and many
times there is a loss in performance. $120 may sound high
for spark plugs but with a 60,000 miles life, that works out
to 2 tenths of a cent per mile, not too shabby.
--
Ray O®

y_p_w

Feb 14, 2002, 1:26:24 AM2/14/02
Andre Chiu <d...@rogers.com> wrote in message news:<3C6B3765...@rogers.com>...
> I've got a question for those in the know out there -- Do I
> *really* need to use the recommended 2-ground electrode
> platinum plugs for the Camry V6 (1MZ-FE)??
>
> They're bloody expensive -- the dealer wants $20 CDN each.
>
> Is it possible to use a more standard single ground plug?

I wouldn't recommend it. Sometimes, platinums only offer longer
life, which is important in a V6 where the rear plugs can be
ridiculously hard to reach. Some cars are designed for a really
hot spark, where only a platinum plug (maybe iridium) can survive
the temperatures.

> Heck, could I even use copper? From a performance standpoint,
> I would expect copper to do better as it's a better conductor
> than platinum... Of course, they won't last as long, but at
> $2 a piece, I'd probably change them once a year anyhow...

I've been corrected on this before. Plug tips aren't made of
copper. Copper is really soft and would just melt away. That's
some sort of alloy. Copper usually refers to the core of the
plug.

You might be able to find the factory spec Denso or NGK plugs
at an auto parts store. They'll probably have to be special
ordered, but I wouldn't be surprised if they're half the price
the dealer wants.

Toolman

Feb 14, 2002, 4:23:38 AM2/14/02
a friend of mine has the '96 V6 Camry, and I helped him install BOSCH +4
platinum plugs, they're about $13 CDN each, I got them from Lordco out in
BC, so I'm not sure if you can find a better deal elsewhere. personally I
think partsource sucks, it's owned by Canadian tire, and they have the exact
same part stock... I haven't compared prices between them though...

Anyways, he says that his engine runs a lot smoother, and he gets a little
more power out of it than with regular platinum plugs (NGK, ect...)

I think platinum plugs are good for 100,000km, verses regular plugs that are
half that or less.. I think you save more hassles by only changing plugs
twice for the life of the car, and you'll probably get better fuel economy
in the long run.

FYI, the last two plugs on the right near rear of the engine are bloody hard
to install, so plan on spending some time rerouting the wires to get them to
fit in.

some tips about buying parts from Toyota, just be friendly, and ask for a
discount, I know the guys pretty well at my dealer, so they give me 30% off
of retail.

Charles.

"Andre Chiu" <d...@rogers.com> wrote in message

xxxxxxxx

Feb 14, 2002, 9:03:18 AM2/14/02

Andre Chiu <d...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Apparaently the 2002 Camrys have Iridium plugs which require changing every
120,000 ks
ed/ontario

xxxxxxxx

Feb 14, 2002, 9:05:42 AM2/14/02

Andre Chiu <d...@rogers.com> wrote in message

Go to any automotive supply store and get them much cheaper(about $4-6.00
each ? name brand and DIY.
Plugs are one of the easiest things to do on a car even for a 67 year old
like me . but dont over tighten , use a torque wrench if you have access to
one and torque to Toyota specs.

ed/ontario

maf

Feb 14, 2002, 12:10:00 PM2/14/02
> Go to any automotive supply store and get them much cheaper(about $4-6.00
> each ? name brand and DIY.
> Plugs are one of the easiest things to do on a car even for a 67 year old
> like me . but dont over tighten , use a torque wrench if you have access
> one and torque to Toyota specs.
>
> ed/ontario

The plugs on most 6 cyl. Toyotas are fairly difficult to change.

xxxxxxxx

Feb 14, 2002, 2:48:47 PM2/14/02

maf <m...@switchboard.net> wrote in message
> ok sorry I was thinking of the 4 ? but being a lot younger than me I think
most guys that are the least bit handy and with the proper tools wouldnt
have much of a problem ?
ed/ontario

maf

Feb 14, 2002, 5:16:30 PM2/14/02
> > The plugs on most 6 cyl. Toyotas are fairly difficult to change.
> >
> ok sorry I was thinking of the 4 ? but being a lot younger than me I
think
> most guys that are the least bit handy and with the proper tools wouldnt
> have much of a problem ?
> ed/ontario
Nope, I would not recommend that anyone change the plugs on the Toyota V6
unless they have lots of experience doing it on this specific engine. I
have heard too many horror stories about this.

Myles

Feb 14, 2002, 5:51:40 PM2/14/02
I also installed Bosch +4 plugs in my 98 Subaru Forester and it now
performs much better! I got the plugs for $16 (2 pack) from Walmart.

What about iridium plugs?

Andre Chiu

Feb 14, 2002, 6:41:04 PM2/14/02

I'm running the Bosch +4's right now... To be frank... I'm quite
unimpressed. The difference in power is negligible -- no different
than what you would feel whenever you change over to new spark plugs.

On the down side, my avg. city mileage has also gone straight to hell,
averaging about 14L/100km, vs the 12-13L/100km I was originally seeing.
I'll admit I drive with a lead foot... Highway driving gives me about
10.5L/100km, vs the 9L/100km I was seeing before. Hence, the search
for new plugs...

I'm not too concerned about changing the plugs more frequently -- I've
had a 96 Camry V6 Wagon and now a 99 XLE V6. I've changed the plugs on
both... the rear plugs *are* a bitch, but the whole job takes less
than an hour. Besides, regardless of what plugs you use, they're going
to accumulate deposits/carbon/crap just as quickly -- so I'd rather
change them every 1-2 yrs rather than the recommended 4 yr interval.

Thanks,
/ac

Andre Chiu

Feb 14, 2002, 6:44:44 PM2/14/02

I doubt you'll be able to source the recommended plugs for $6 each.
I've looked. The best I could find was $16 (CDN) each from some
small autoparts dealer.

I *do* change the plugs myself, so I know I can get single-ground
NGK plugs for about $5/pr...

Thanks,
/ac

Andre Chiu

Feb 14, 2002, 6:46:47 PM2/14/02

Hmmm.... Thanks. I'll probably go with the single/platinum plugs,
as I usually change my own plugs every 2 yrs anyhow.

Thanks,
/ac

y_p_w

Feb 14, 2002, 8:30:23 PM2/14/02
"maf" <m...@switchboard.net> wrote in message news:<_GWa8.71$FG2.1...@news.uswest.net>...

I think most will find the 3 plugs located in the front are a breeze.
For the three in the back, maybe Mr Fanstastic or Plastic Man can get
their hands in there. Maybe you can describe one of these horror
stories.

I have heard of a peculiar Toyota V6. The factory plugs were half
NGKs and the other half Densos - the fronts of one brand and the
rear the other. It sounds as if the front and rear plugs were
installed at different times on the assembly line.

Yu-Ping Wang
Berkeley, California

Toolman

Feb 14, 2002, 9:26:13 PM2/14/02
you know that's weird,
when I changed my friend's plugs, I noticed the exact same thing... two
different spark brands 3 in the back and 3 in the front. I just thought it
was a lazy mechanic who didn't change the ones in the back. =) I think it
was a '96 Camry, anyone notice the same thing?

you're right about needing rubber stretchable hands in order to get the
three plugs switched in the back, it took a while, not to mention that the
contacts in the boot broke off from two of the cables, and stuck onto the
spark plug terminal, so I couldn't use the socket to remove it. had to get
the really long needle nose pliers and yank off the contact so the socket
could reach the plug.

it's so much nicer in my '86 cressida, where it's very accessible everything
on the inline 6 engine. they pack tons of stuff into new cars these days.

"y_p_w" <y_...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

ac222

Feb 14, 2002, 9:37:47 PM2/14/02
Spend the $$ and get the right plugs, or else it won't last as long.

"Andre Chiu" <d...@rogers.com> wrote in message

dizz

Feb 14, 2002, 9:54:49 PM2/14/02
On Fri, 15 Feb 2002 02:26:13 GMT, "Toolman"
<toolman_...@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:

>you know that's weird,
>when I changed my friend's plugs, I noticed the exact same thing... two
>different spark brands 3 in the back and 3 in the front. I just thought it
>was a lazy mechanic who didn't change the ones in the back. =) I think it
>was a '96 Camry, anyone notice the same thing?

Ha! Lame. I bet that's exactly what happened, tho.

>it's so much nicer in my '86 cressida, where it's very accessible everything
>on the inline 6 engine. they pack tons of stuff into new cars these days.

Inline 6 is a much better engine than a V6...

Dave Watchorn

Feb 15, 2002, 3:09:41 PM2/15/02
On our V6 camry, I just put a small jack in between the firewall and
the motor and moved it forward an inch or so to gain some extra room.
Not the easiest plugs to change in the world but neither was the V6
Fiero.

I've tried 8-9 brands in the Toyota and had the best opinion (that's
all, no accurate measurements of mileage, fuel economy or wheel-dyno
horsepower and torque curves) of the stock Nippondenso plugs and NGK
replacements.

Training Solutions Group
Box 617,2577 Church St.
North Gower ON Canada
K0A 2T0
(613) 489-2759
dw....@sympatico.ca

"It's better to be in the race for a second than to spectate forever."

Sanjay Sainani

Feb 15, 2002, 7:00:35 PM2/15/02
Hmmm....you know the NGK Iridiums are on sale at Canadian Tire. Two plugs
for 17.99

JerryO

Feb 16, 2002, 1:38:22 AM2/16/02
"Toolman" <toolman_...@hotNOSPAMmail.com> wrote:
> you know that's weird,
> when I changed my friend's plugs, I noticed the exact same thing... two
> different spark brands 3 in the back and 3 in the front. I just thought it
> was a lazy mechanic who didn't change the ones in the back. =) I think it
> was a '96 Camry, anyone notice the same thing?
>
> "y_p_w" <y_...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I have heard of a peculiar Toyota V6. The factory plugs were half
> > NGKs and the other half Densos - the fronts of one brand and the
> > rear the other. It sounds as if the front and rear plugs were
> > installed at different times on the assembly line.
> >
> > Yu-Ping Wang

Strange, maybe a month ago, the local 'mechanic on the radio' was
telling how strange is is to see some cars with platinum on the center
electrode for 1/2 the spark plugs and the other 1/2 of the plugs have
the platinum on the ground electrode.

He didn't say what cars did this, but he did say he had only seen it
on cars without a distributor. He further said that his belief was
that this was done beccause 1/2 of the plugs have the current flow
opposite of what it used to be and caused a high rate of erosion on
the ground electrode.

He said he was unaware of replacement plugs with platinum ONLY on the
ground electrode. His recommendation was to use dual platinum plugs
for replacement (at least on the plugs with the platinum on the ground
electrode).

JerryO

Scott

Feb 16, 2002, 12:45:18 PM2/16/02
In article <3c6d69a4...@news1.on.sympatico.ca>, dw....@sympatico.ca
says...

I've found on my 84 corolla that nippondenso plugs are WAY better than then
NGK - not even close.

ROBMURR

Feb 16, 2002, 7:17:07 PM2/16/02
>Subject: Re: Camry V6 Spark plugs...
>From: "Sanjay Sainani" fone...@rogers.com
>Date: 2/15/02 7:00 PM Eastern Standard Time

>Hmmm....you know the NGK Iridiums are on sale at Canadian Tire. Two plugs
>for 17.99

Copper, Platinum, Iriduim, whats next Unobtainium?

maf

Feb 16, 2002, 10:28:14 PM2/16/02
> >Hmmm....you know the NGK Iridiums are on sale at Canadian Tire. Two
plugs
> >for 17.99
>
> Copper, Platinum, Iriduim, whats next Unobtainium?

Don't complain. When I purchased my first car (used) about 30 years ago,
plugs had to be changed every 15,000 miles. And believe me, at 15,000 miles,
most of the plugs looked pretty bad.