Studebaker in the movies, any to add ?

John Poulos

Nov 14, 2004, 10:12:54 PM11/14/04
http://www.stude.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=2761#2761
--
JP/Maryland
Studebaker On the Net http://stude.com
My Ebay items:http://www.stude.com/EBAY/
64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
64 GT Hawk (Ca. Div)
63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk (keeper)
56 E12 Pickup (sold)

RMC61Coupe

Nov 15, 2004, 12:42:18 AM11/15/04
The movie with the tiara gold 57 GH was a Jamie Foxx movie. Ironic because
Jamie Foxx plays Ray Charles and has a 51 LandCruiser in several shots and a 60
Black Lark Ragtop.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Bob Palma

Nov 15, 2004, 8:05:56 AM11/15/04
John (and others);

Do you know the Muppet Studebaker has now been delivered to South Bend
and will be displayed in The Studebaker National Museum? I understand
it's a little dirty and shopworn, but intact. BP

John Poulos <ava...@erols.com> wrote in message news:<nvmdnWDBMLM...@comcast.com>...
> http://www.stude.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=2761#2761

Bob Waitz

Nov 15, 2004, 10:06:50 AM11/15/04
I can think of three off the top of my head:

"LA Confidential" has a Speedster in it. The car is owned by the
character who is an actor and doesn't appear until the last half of
the movie but there are some good shots of it.

"OC And Stiggs" has a 4 door 50 in it that was placed on a 4x4 truck
chassis. It was directed by Robert Altman and although it never saw
theatrical release, it is available on video. I bought a used copy on
eBay. This is NOT a great movie and they pretty much destroy the
Stude so don't watch it if you hate that kind of stuff. The King
Sunny Ade' soundtrack is a plus.

"American Graffitti" (duh) has a '55 that appears in it several times.

I'll see if I can find some screen shots.

@accs.net Lark Parker

Nov 15, 2004, 10:27:49 AM11/15/04
In article <cb4878c7.04111...@posting.google.com>, Bob Waitz says...

"Crazy Mama" has a good chase with Stu Whitman rolling and burning a machine
gunned Silver Hawk. Also some good Packard footage as Cloris Leachman's getaway
car.

"Mischief" has a 1950 Champion as the main character's ride. It gets into a demo
derby type encounter with a 57 Chebby and (sob) tears hell out of the Chebby.

The first "Superman" has a very brief shot of the front end of a Hawk.

"Streets of Fire" I think, used 1950/51 Studes as cop cars. Stupid boring,
movie.

--
Lark Parker

Dave Lester

Nov 15, 2004, 10:52:13 AM11/15/04
I was just told "Ray" has a beautiful bullet nose featured in it.

--
Dave Lester
www.davesplaceinc.com

Transtar60

Nov 15, 2004, 12:40:50 PM11/15/04
"Dirty Dozen"(Lee Marvin etc) has several scenes with a Stude US6 in it
, particularly where they drive out to build their training camp.

Bill

Nov 15, 2004, 1:11:30 PM11/15/04
The '51 in Ray is owned by Bob Semkem who currently resides in
Louisiana and NY. Member of the Long Island Chapter. He has owned that
car for 30 plus years.

1963r2

Nov 15, 2004, 3:10:16 PM11/15/04
Back the Future I and II both have a 53/54 coupe angle parked along
the main street near the town square/court house in the past (1954?)

The Stude is in every scene that shows that 1954 view of main street
in both movies. Look for it when the Delorean races down main street
before leaping back to the Future.

krgryder

Nov 15, 2004, 4:20:58 PM11/15/04

I recently saw the end of a real bad Richard Gere movie "Intersection"
I think was the name. Near the end there is a 2R5 being driven by the
wise old grandfather and granddaughter, delivering muffins. Did not
make any since to me but I didn't see the whole movie.
The truck is a bit beatup but looked like it would make a good
project.

j.shavish

Nov 15, 2004, 4:21:49 PM11/15/04
"Dave Lester" <sp...@provalue.net> wrote in message news:<3e445$4198d0af$42d2158c$22...@provalue.allthenewsgroups.com>...

> I was just told "Ray" has a beautiful bullet nose featured in it.

New York cop serpico had a 1960 lark

allstateguy

Nov 15, 2004, 4:41:36 PM11/15/04
"Catch Me If You Can" with Tom Hanks
Lots of drive bys of Hawks

allstateguy

Nov 15, 2004, 4:41:26 PM11/15/04

karl haas

Nov 15, 2004, 6:41:48 PM11/15/04
"The Touchables"

Horrible movie, but the main characters have an Avanti,
shown nicely in several shots..

Karl

Jack White

Nov 15, 2004, 6:43:51 PM11/15/04
My 63 Cruiser in Radio but you gota look hard.
Jack White

Jeffrey DeWitt

Nov 15, 2004, 8:25:06 PM11/15/04
Look closer, not only are those Studes in those movies but there is a
Studebaker DEALERSHIP on the left side of the street at the end of that
block. If you look carefully you can make out the STUDEBAKER sign in
large silver letters on it. Also when Marty is looking at the newspaper
in Courthouse Square we get a glimpse of a Studebaker add in the paper.
(Nice touch!).

Jeff DeWitt

Jeffrey DeWitt

Nov 15, 2004, 8:27:04 PM11/15/04
A GT Hawk in the parking lot of Shawshank Prison right at the end ("The
Shawshank Redemption" of course)

Jeff DeWitt

John Poulos wrote:

> http://www.stude.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=2761#2761

Jeffrey DeWitt

Nov 15, 2004, 8:32:37 PM11/15/04
Just thought of another one.

Peter Vincient (Roddy McDowell), the Mighty Vampier Slayer, drives a 62?
Lark in the Fright Night movies.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/19850802/REVIEWS/508020301/1023

Richard Lawler

Nov 15, 2004, 9:40:26 PM11/15/04
These days it seems like it is harder to see a movie that DOESN"T have
a Stude in it. Two of the more obscure ones that I can think of that
made good use of the cars featured was one, "Wild Palms" and two,
"Spontaneous Combustion." "Wild Palms" was an ABC (I think)
mini-series from about eight years ago. The series was set in about
the year 2020 and the cops all drove Avanti's. Now this is not
something that every video store is going to carry, but it is out
there in a two volume set, and if you are into science fiction
(especially the William Gibson variety) it is worth finding and
watching. The second one, "Spontaneous Combustion" is probably going
to be a whole lot harder to find, but it has one of the greatest
features of a Studebaker (a 50/51 bullet nose, don't remember exactly
which model) of any movie I have ever seen. I could tell you about it,
but then I would be spoiling the ending.
Richard Lawler

'57 1/2 ton Transtar
'51 2dr Champion

Jeff Rice

Nov 15, 2004, 9:49:57 PM11/15/04
A Patch of Blue had several scenes with a black Hawk in it.

PACKERBACKER

Nov 16, 2004, 12:24:05 AM11/16/04
The Terminator - they do a chase scene through a parking garage and
sideswipe a Champ pickup.

Murphy's Romance - James Garner drives a 192? Studebaker
(he tells you the year and about it in the movie)

Chris Coop

Nov 16, 2004, 12:57:17 AM11/16/04
I am not sure if anybody has mentioned it but in the first scene of Herbie
the Love Bug where they are on the figure "8" demolition track, three
Studebakers - 2 53 coupes and 1 54 hard top are wrecked in the derby... what
a shame!

Chris Coop

blacklarkviii

Nov 16, 2004, 5:43:07 AM11/16/04
It wasn.t a movie but the A Team tv show had BA driving a 60 Lark
convertible in some of the early shows.

Henry
"Chris Coop" <s2d...@mac.com> wrote in message

Madd Doodler

Nov 16, 2004, 10:20:18 AM11/16/04
In 1991's Dogfight starring River Phoenix there were several
Studebakers.
In one scene he was leaning on the rear fender of a 47-52 sedan.
Younever saw enough to ID it.
There were several Lark bodied cars as well of various years.

Let's not forget Mr Magoo where he drives a bulletnose and of
couorse batman where the Gotham City police use Bulletnose Studes.

There's a local independant movie that was made called War that used
my '63 Daytona in it driven by the main character. It is currently
hitting the festival scene and was at the Sundance Film Festival last
where it got great reviews. The actor who played the main charachter
was at Sundance and told me the Daytona received lots of comments
during and after the film.
I expect a copy of the film for my self soon.

Steve Grant
a.k.a. the madd Doodler

Jeffrey DeWitt

Nov 16, 2004, 7:32:43 PM11/16/04
In the series "Crime Story" one of the thugs drove a black finned Hawk.
There were some great scenes of it when he drove down to Joliet,
including at least one through the windshield shot.

Ronny Bailey

Nov 16, 2004, 8:53:21 PM11/16/04
Edmund O'Brien drives a rented '49 Commander convertible in the 1950 version
on D.O.A.
RB

Transtar60

Nov 16, 2004, 9:08:40 PM11/16/04
Yeah and he kept his pistol in the glove box! With the top down.

Dave's Place

Nov 16, 2004, 9:47:00 PM11/16/04
> Yeah and he kept his pistol in the glove box! With the top down.

Did he not lock the doors?

That would keep the honest guy out. Thieves are going to get in anyway.
<No G> <G>
--
Dave Lester
Home of the Internationally Renowned Studebakers, 'Sheba and Goliath
See pictures at www.davesplaceinc.com

Jessie J. VanDeCreek

Nov 16, 2004, 10:30:40 PM11/16/04

> There's a local independant movie that was made called War that used
> my '63 Daytona in it driven by the main character. It is currently
> hitting the festival scene and was at the Sundance Film Festival last
> where it got great reviews. The actor who played the main charachter
> was at Sundance and told me the Daytona received lots of comments
> during and after the film.
> I expect a copy of the film for my self soon.
>
> Steve Grant
> a.k.a. the madd Doodler

Hey Steve, now that sounds like a movie I'd like to see, let us know
when you get your copy, and perhaps you can find out how or where we
could buy copies?

Jessie

Joe Flannery

Nov 17, 2004, 6:54:12 AM11/17/04
Here are 2 more, "Baby It's You" from 1983 with Rosanna Arquette. My
deceased friend Tim Durkin had his Maui Blue '59 Lark used in the
movie. Tim died of cancer in 1994, he was only 39. I remember reading
the ad for "old cars wanted for a movie" and told Tim about it. He had
to go to Hoboken,N.J. for the car to be approved for the shoot, it was
right near where he had bought the car. His brother Bob Durkin had the
car until he recently died also. I imagine Bob's wife Judy has the car
now. The car is very obvious in the movie. You can see it in a few
scenes,especially one with kids hanging out of the car in a rowdy
drive- by of a drug store .

"The Hot Spot" with Don Johnson, he drives a finned Hawk in the
movie

PACKERBACKER

Nov 17, 2004, 1:35:41 PM11/17/04
In Porky's they have a few. When they pull down Porky's bar they use an
old Stude tow truck. Looks cool bouncing up and down while doing it!

PACKERBACKER

Nov 17, 2004, 1:36:03 PM11/17/04

jeremiah

Nov 17, 2004, 2:39:17 PM11/17/04

'59 Silver Hawk with a V-8 and duals. Sounded cool in the movie. "Great"?
movie with Jennifer Connelly.
;-)

Ceslovas

Nov 17, 2004, 10:19:20 PM11/17/04
Don't forget KINDERGARDEN COP with a view of the back of a "R" series
pickup, and THE KARATI KID with an Avanti convertible. Also THE MASK
with Jim Carey and a Cher movie , can't remember the title, with the
white 60s Lark in a long distance street scene. Then there was a TV
movie with a 63 WAGONAIRE as a hearse. Plus tons of other movies that
I can't remember.

My wife gets embarrased when a Stude appears in a movie and I scream
"IT'S A STUDEBAKER"

Ceslovas

Transtar60

Nov 17, 2004, 10:29:45 PM11/17/04
An USA Network movie/miniseries "What the Deaf Man Heard" James Earl
Jones played the local junkman and drove around in a big M-series truck.

A movie from the late 70's called "Every Bastard a King" had a Wagonaire
in the opening scenes. Set in Israel during '73 War.

Bill Glass

Nov 17, 2004, 11:08:44 PM11/17/04
There was a 'rock opera' about a futuristic Chicago or NY, takes place on an
elevated subway line nd under the elevated structure and in a theatre. All the
police cars are 50-51 Studebakers and toward the end they get pretty well
wrecked.

Very strange movie.
http://bondobilly.com/#stuff
TAKE A LOOK AT THE NEW SHIRTS.....THEY ARE NEAT

Madd Doodler

Nov 18, 2004, 9:25:03 AM11/18/04
Apprarently hanging out with me is rubbing off on Chris (the finace)
cause while we were watching an old episode of Smallville she spotted
(before I did) a Transtar pickup. Of course there were two young good
looking girls in the scene so I should be excused from missing it. It
was later driven by the character Lana Lang in the show.
Sure it's not a movie but it at least had a Studebaker in it.
The A Team show that has the Lark convertible was the pilot episode
which was a two hour TV Movie.

Steve Grant
a.k.a. the Madd Doodler

I have noticed though when I anounce while watching a movie, "There's
a Studebaker" Chris does chuckle a bit...

http://stores.ebay.com/Madd-Doodler-Publishing

karl haas

Nov 18, 2004, 7:50:10 PM11/18/04
rmc61...@aol.com (RMC61Coupe) wrote in message news:<20041115004218...@mb-m26.aol.com>...
> The movie with the tiara gold 57 GH was a Jamie Foxx movie. Ironic because
> Jamie Foxx plays Ray Charles and has a 51 LandCruiser in several shots and a 60
> Black Lark Ragtop.
>
> Bob Miles
> Tucson AZ

Great flik.
Woiuld be nice if all the '51s had kept that sheen over the years like
thata one did!
The only time that I speciof9cally recall seeing RC was at Newport in
1959.
I didn't see myself in the film. though. If I saw him elsewhere, it
also would have been outside or at a later date.
They did my favorite song, "You Better Leave my Woman Alone."
Great job getting an actor who looks so much like the real head of
Atlantic. I'll probably end up buying (!) the DVD.

Karl

RMC61Coupe

Nov 18, 2004, 8:08:59 PM11/18/04
A free bottle of BBQ sauce to the person that can tell me the name of a movie
that had a 56 President classic (skidding sounds on dirt no less!) and a 56
Pinehurst wagon. Stars(!) Peter Graves, Beverly Garland and Lee Van Cleff.

Helps if you are MST3000 fan!

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

Jeff Rice

Nov 18, 2004, 8:15:19 PM11/18/04
It conquered the World!
Women are from Venus, Real men are from South Bend...

"RMC61Coupe" wrote.

Dave's Place

Nov 18, 2004, 8:34:49 PM11/18/04
> Helps if you are MST3000 fan!

What's an MST3000?
--
Dave (I lose, but I'm used to that) Lester

Transtar60

Nov 18, 2004, 10:17:38 PM11/18/04
Mystery Science Theatre 3000
One dumbass and two or three robots watch old movies and make
snide comments.<G>
Saturday morning TV.

Jeffrey DeWitt

Nov 18, 2004, 10:16:09 PM11/18/04
Mystery Science Theater 3000, these weird characters are stuck on a
spaceship with nothing but B movies to watch, so they (and we) watch the
movies while these guys kibitz...

http://www.mst3000.net/

Jeff DeWitt

Bob Porter

Nov 19, 2004, 3:34:40 PM11/19/04
The futurisitc movie GATTACA starring Ethan Hawke has a whole line of
Avantis coming through a tunnel. In a low budget attempt to show cars
of the future they used a mid-80's Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce backed up
by 2-3 dozen Avantis!

Bob Porter

RMC61Coupe

Nov 19, 2004, 10:46:47 PM11/19/04
Tin Man, Richard Dreyfuss, Danny Devito. The aluminum sliding salesman drove
60's cadillacs but there were serveral scenes with a black GT Hawk passing by.

"Same Time Next Year" opening shot with a 48 LandCruiser and main character
says about her life listing things "A Studebaker what else do I need" Alan Alda
Ellen Burstyn(SP).

Not a movie but an old TV series The Littlest Hobo, must have been sponsored by
Studebaker. All sorts of Studes used including the 64 models.

Other will come to mind no doubt.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ

dkig...@search26.com