Proper spark plug gap for HEI

Scratchy94

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

I have a new Accel Blue Print HEI that I will be putting in my 72 C-20
350. I will be using Accel U-groove plugs (416). What is the proper plug
gap. The engine specs call for .035, but that was with the original
points distributer. My Haynes manual calls for anything from .035-.045
for 350 engines. Thanks.

J. Forbes

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

In article <55oebf$q...@newsbf02.news.aol.com> scrat...@aol.com (Scratchy94) writes:
>From: scrat...@aol.com (Scratchy94)
>Subject: Proper spark plug gap for HEI
>Date: 5 Nov 1996 17:16:15 -0500

The HEI equipped engines use anywhere from .045-.080 gap depending on year,
model, etc.

I use the .045" gap, as this seems to be what Chevy settled on in later years.

Jim

Jim and Janet Forbes jfo...@primenet.com
Sierra Vista, AZ URL= http://www.primenet.com/~jforbes

Robert J. Cowan

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

Scratchy94 wrote:

> I have a new Accel Blue Print HEI that I will be putting in my 72 C-20
> 350. I will be using Accel U-groove plugs (416). What is the proper
> plug gap.

Start with 0.040 and adjust from there. A stock HEI should be able to
handle 0.045 without any problems. Base your adjustments on power feel
and plug readings. Chiltons manual usually have a set of color pictures
for what your plugs should look like.