307 1.4L Petrol: Low Oil Pressure warning

rdrnws

Aug 7, 2008, 5:42:56 AM8/7/08
The "oil pressure low" message appears on the center screen along with
the low oil warning light. Occasionally, the stop engine light comes up.

This happens at low rpms, when (a) accelerating very gently in 1st or
2nd gear, or, (b) coming to a stop from highway speeds without
down-shifting. It has never occurred when cruising or accelerating harshly.

The local dealer has not been able to find anything wrong with the car
:-) Is this a known "bug" with the 307's electronics, or is there a
documented flaw in the oil system design for this model?

The car is a 2004 with 80 K (kilometers) and has always been serviced on
time by authorized shops.

Thanks for any tips on the subject.

Nikos

Chris

Aug 7, 2008, 2:59:00 PM8/7/08
Try and find out what grade of oil they put in your car when they
serviced it,it might be too thin,(i know it sound funny but it does
happen)

rdrnws

Aug 8, 2008, 4:42:00 AM8/8/08

They said 20W-50 Shell synthetic. I cannot be sure about the synthetic
part (maybe they used plain mineral oil instead), but 20W-50 is the most
common grade around here and I can be fairly confident it's what they
actually used.

Nikos

Chris

Aug 8, 2008, 3:39:12 PM8/8/08
the only way to be 100% is drain the oil out and replace it with your
own brand which u like.

rdrnws

Aug 9, 2008, 6:54:39 AM8/9/08
Chris wrote:
> the only way to be 100% is drain the oil out and replace it with your
> own brand which u like.

Thanks Chris,

your tip about thin oil makes sense. But I would like to verify the
actual oil pressure before changing the oil again. Is this (measuring
oil pressure) a diy job? Getting an oil pressure gauge, hooking it up to
the engine and measuring p at idle? Can you tell me where to look for
the hook?

TIA,

Nikos

Chris

Aug 9, 2008, 2:28:24 PM8/9/08
The good old one are the best, one u screw into where the oil light
switch is, now days it is all eletric so some where in there u should
be able to pick up a point to get a reading ,

Nigel

Aug 10, 2008, 3:50:58 PM8/10/08

Before you do all that check the oil filter. It's the paper filter in
a canister type and they mustn't be overtightened when fitted. If they
are the plastic valve can break off and lower the pressure. It's
usually the later 1.4 or 1.6 petrol engines that do this. If you fit a
new filter and o-ring, turn the plastic housing until it contacts the
lower part and then go just a tiny bit more. Really it's just enough
to stop it leaking!

Ross Herbert

Aug 11, 2008, 3:02:42 AM8/11/08
On Fri, 08 Aug 2008 11:42:00 +0300, rdrnws <rdr...@emailme.com> wrote:

20W-50 grade oil is NOT approved for the 307 petrol engines, particularly in
Europe or wherever the weather gets very cold in Winter. Cold starting viscosity
of 20W is far too high.

The only approved oil grade for the 307 EW10A engine is 5W-40 synthetic with an
ACEA A3/B4 rating (or better). There are plenty of brands which meet this spec.

If you have set up an account with Peugeot servicebox the oil restriction chart
is here
http://public.servicebox.peugeot.com/docs/p1ogWlgzwqxw4jte9vCByVQAP12626257/REV/dexp/code/res_en_us.htm

rdrnws

Aug 11, 2008, 5:20:25 AM8/11/08
Ross Herbert wrote:

> 20W-50 grade oil is NOT approved for the 307 petrol engines, particularly in
> Europe or wherever the weather gets very cold in Winter. Cold starting viscosity
> of 20W is far too high.
>
> The only approved oil grade for the 307 EW10A engine is 5W-40 synthetic with an
> ACEA A3/B4 rating (or better). There are plenty of brands which meet this spec.

Thanks Ross, I was not aware of this and in fact at least two authorized
dealers have repetitively used 20W-50 on my car; call it negligence or
ignorance or whatever you like :-)

However, I seriously doubt that 20W-50 is the cause of the "low pressure
warning" I get. If you know how I can have the car oil-pressure tested
myself and are willing to share some details, I would be much obliged.

Nikos

Ross Herbert

Aug 11, 2008, 7:30:12 AM8/11/08
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:20:25 +0300, rdrnws <rdr...@emailme.com> wrote:

I would change the oil first to the correct grade just in case the viscosity is
preventing either the oil pressure sensor or the oil pump from producing the
correct pressure.

I'm not a mechanic but I would think that if you do not have any oil leaks,
there is no water in the oil (that is very easy to spot), the exhaust is not
belching smoke,and you know that the oil level is correct (and it is the correct
grade), then the only possible causes I can see are;
1. Scored big-ends
2. faulty oil pump
3. faulty oil pressure switch (or sensor)

If you know that the engine is unlikely to have scored big-ends then I would be
inclined to simply change the oil pressure switch first up - these do go faulty.
On my other car the oil pressure lamp started to come up and I thought it
couldn't be the pressure switch since I had put a new aftermarket one in only 2
years previously when the original sprung a leak. However, I decided that I
would exchange it for a new genuine type and since then it has not come up in
the last 12 months.

R N Robinson

Aug 11, 2008, 1:25:12 PM8/11/08

"Ross Herbert" <rher...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

> On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 12:20:25 +0300, rdrnws <rdr...@emailme.com> wrote:
>

> I'm not a mechanic

But Nigel is. . .

Ron Robinson

Ross Herbert

Aug 11, 2008, 9:48:16 PM8/11/08
On Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:25:12 +0100, "R N Robinson"
<ron...@frumiousbandersnatch.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

:
:"Ross Herbert" <rher...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

:

Thanks for the enlightenment Ron....
You obviously have better knowledge of Nigel's qualifications. But that is
hardly surprising since I am new to this group and haven't read any previous
posts by Nigel.

I have only just read the post by Nigel in this thread, and while his advice
concerning oil filter replacement was entirely acccurate it was not necessarily
evidence of his qualification. I also follow the same method method based on
many years of experience and instruction from my older brother who is a
mechanic.

Keith W

Aug 12, 2008, 4:37:59 AM8/12/08

"Ross Herbert" <rher...@bigpond.net.au> wrote in message

Just to add my two penn'orth. I can say from personal experience that
Nigel really knows his stuff. He has saved my bacon on a number of
occasions. Thanks again Nigel.
--
Keith W
Sunbury on Thames

rdrnws

Aug 19, 2008, 1:32:38 AM8/19/08
Hi guys,

thanks for all the replies, I have learned a lot. Unfortunately the
issue has not been resolved yet. I will post a resume when (if) it does.
The car has gone into "limp" mode after a "catalytic converter" fault
recently, so now I have a bigger fish to fry... Or is it the same fish
in disguise... Oh well, last Peugeot for me in any case...

Please advise on the cat issue in a separate thread (upcoming).

Thanks,

Nikos

k.m...@gmail.com

Mar 5, 2013, 2:45:46 PM3/5/13
Hello
i know that this topic posted long time ago, but recently I bought Peugeot 407 2.0hdi 2008 and have same problem like u

on highway cars shut down, and 3 errors came up:
low oil pressure too low
antipolution failure
ABS/ESP failure
i changed oil, and filter 5w40 total quartz
went to service, they check car but couldnt find anything

did u solove ur problem?

ezeig...@gmail.com

Aug 10, 2013, 2:10:56 AM8/10/13
I need a solution too. I see Oil pressure insufficient after changing an ECU. the car started first but now it starts and drops again. the car cannot move. I need ideas from you guys

Xavier

Mar 4, 2014, 12:21:52 PM3/4/14
warning : antipolution failure = particule filter or EGR
serveral professional guys are on http://peugeot-407.forumactif.com/forum
helping u about 407 HDI failures

<ezeig...@gmail.com> a écrit dans le message de
---