Wheel lug torque specs

hls

Nov 4, 2009, 9:04:38 AM11/4/09

genius

Nov 4, 2009, 4:09:50 PM11/4/09
On Nov 4, 7:04 am, "hls" <h...@nospam.nix> wrote:
> http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoWheelTo...
>
> HTH

Excellent find, thanks!

Nicholas

Nov 4, 2009, 5:34:08 PM11/4/09
On Wed, 4 Nov 2009 13:09:50 -0800 (PST), genius <gen...@socal.rr.com>
wrote:

With some caveats. Like...Magnesium and/or aluminum alloy wheels are
going to require different torque than listed. Such is my situation.
Other than that, I also thank "hls" for this.

Nick

C. E. White

Nov 5, 2009, 7:24:55 AM11/5/09

"Nicholas" <Lawrence...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> With some caveats. Like...Magnesium and/or aluminum alloy wheels
> are
> going to require different torque than listed.

Why is that the case? My F150 is sold with both steel and alloy
wheels. According to the owner's manual, the torque spec is the same
with either. I can see where the torque specs might be different if
you change the style of lug nut (different wheel to nut contact
configuration or nut to wheel friction) but in most cases I would
think nothing would change unless you got radically different lug
nuts.

Ed

Nicholas

Nov 5, 2009, 8:56:09 AM11/5/09

Well that's just it, Ed. I DO have *special* lug nuts for my alloy
wheels. They bear little resemblance to those for steel wheels. Mine
have an enormous bearing surface (cone) for my wheels...they're twice
the size of a steel wheel lug nut.

Nick

hls

Nov 5, 2009, 8:58:39 AM11/5/09

"Nicholas" <Lawrence...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Well that's just it, Ed. I DO have *special* lug nuts for my alloy
> wheels. They bear little resemblance to those for steel wheels. Mine
> have an enormous bearing surface (cone) for my wheels...they're twice
> the size of a steel wheel lug nut.
>
> Nick

Are these aftermarket or OEM units? What torque level do you use on
them, and how was it determined?

Nicholas

Nov 5, 2009, 9:10:48 AM11/5/09

oh crap. here we go. Yes OEM.
Regular steel wheel lugs/nuts SMALL.
Alloy wheel lugs/nuts BIG.

OEM FORD PART NO. ALLOY WHEEL STUD: xf1z 1107 ba
Matching OEM FORD PART NO. ALLOY WHEEL STUD BOLT:
F3DZ 1012a

Torque: 85 lb-ft.

LOA, dia. etc ALL different from *normal*

Lg

Nicholas

Nov 5, 2009, 9:14:01 AM11/5/09
On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 07:58:39 -0600, "hls" <h...@nospam.nix> wrote: