2002 Ford Escort ZX2 timing belt broke

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jul 27, 2009, 9:37:36 PM7/27/09
My daughter's 2002 Escort's timing belt broke this morning. The
mechanic said that always, some valves get bent and always pistons get
cracked. 102000 miles on the 4 cylinder, I do not buy his "always
bent, always broke" diagnosis..

I understand bent valves and broken pistons are a possibility, I would
appreciate anyone's past experience and opinion on this issue. I
guess a compression test and leakdown is impossible with a broken
timing belt, unless the mechanic hand cranked the camshaft and the
crank shaft seperately.

A tear down will tell the truth.

thanx in advance

Frank

Kruse

Jul 27, 2009, 10:10:51 PM7/27/09
On Jul 27, 8:37 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>
wrote:

> My daughter's 2002 Escort's timing belt broke this morning.  The
> mechanic said that always, some valves get bent and always pistons get
> cracked. 102000 miles on the 4 cylinder, I do not buy his "always
> bent, always broke" diagnosis..
> Frank

Take this chart with a grain of salt. Sometimes a non-interference
engine will have interference.
(Carbon buildup, worn parts, etc.)

http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598&go=Interference

Philip5malin

Jul 27, 2009, 11:53:03 PM7/27/09
Sometimes valve and rod do get bend, not always 50%. I have an Escort
and broke timing belt. Luckily it did not damage valve or rod. A
Compression test is not possible without timing belt to crank engine.
A leak down test is still possible with a person hand move the
flywheel to certain positions. A tear down may be too traumatic at
this time. The best is to have another shop put a timing belt in
first, see if the car work. Then test for compression and evaluate
the damage. If the car works, then take it from there, use it until
it die. If you know how to put timing belt in, it is the best. It is
not too hard. The things to watch out for is to put cylinder 1 at
TDC with timing mark aligned.
***************************************
> http://www.gates.com/part_locator/index.cfm?location_id=3598&go=Inter...

Itsfrom Click

Jul 29, 2009, 3:01:17 PM7/29/09

How many miles on the belt when it broke (surely, no one would expect
it NOT to break at 102,000 miles, so assuming it had been
servived.....in the past I had mine changed at 60,000. but now only buy
cars with chains)

Mike

Jul 29, 2009, 5:41:06 PM7/29/09
Chains can fail as well at the kind of mileage he has on his car. Is 60K
not the recommended replacement mileage in any event?

I have changed the belt on my 71 Pinto four times. It has nearly 300K on
the odometer

"Itsfrom Click" <gp...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jul 29, 2009, 8:20:16 PM7/29/09

Turns out one of the belt idler bolts failed causing the belt to fall
off. The part that upset me, is I asked the mechanic to check the
belt first, before he disassembled the engine. He began a tear down
fist, although I admit that taking the exhaust manifold and intake may
be part of the belft checking process.

He said the 2.0 liter DOHC cam engines are on the list of those who
have valve/piston interference. Oh well, will knnow in the next day
or so.

I have used the same mechanic for 10 years and does a good job, so, I
guess will see.

Thanx for all of the advice.

Frank

Philip5malin

Jul 30, 2009, 4:18:33 PM7/30/09
I disagree that taking apart the exhaust and intake manifold is the
first step in belt checking process. I think doing Leak Down test is
the first.
If turning flywheel and all leak down test is good, no valve is
broken. If he can turn flywheel smoothly on all 4 cylinders, no rod is
bend. If he turns and feel resistance, then it is bent.
He can also use a boroscope, and visually inspect the inside of the
cylinder and the valve. A boroscope is like a snake microscope that
goes through spark park hole to inspect valve and rod.
If Leak down test past , and he can turn flywheel with no
resistance, he can proceed to compression test with belt on. Tear
down only come after leak down test failed , or flywheel no able to
turn by hand.
Valve and rod are broken depends on speed and force when belt broke.
If engine is at idle at 700 rpm, there is little force, and engine
shut off quickly, before rod and valve hit interference point. If is
running at highway , accelerating at 2300 rpm, lot of force, engine
is not shutting off until many revolutions, 100% rod and valve will
hit interference point many many times, and break rod and valve.
There are certain diagnostic steps, flow chart, a technician is
supposed to follow.
Unfortunately, not many people have them, or follow them, or have a
logical mind to diagnose.
Since he already done a tear down, just wait for result. y Sometimes a
technician is more comfortable to do certain things and not some other
things. Sometimes this may interfere with your own logic, reasoning,
and/or your pocket.
*********************

On Jul 29, 5:20 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>

Jul 30, 2009, 6:07:14 PM7/30/09
On Jul 29, 8:20 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>
wrote:

According to the Gates website, the DOHC engine is NOT an interference
engine.

Are you sure of the engine in the vehicle?

Are you sure of your mechanic?

Philip5malin

Jul 31, 2009, 1:55:47 PM7/31/09
I agree. It is not an interferance engine. That is why my Escort did
not have any problem with valve and rod.
I checked out my manual last time when that happen.
Some people assume every engine is a Honda engine.
Some people have a way of diagnostic themselves.
But no matter what happen, when they tear apart engine. They will take
out the good rod, bent it in the shop manually themselves, then show
you it is bend.
******************************

Frank from Deeeetroit

Jul 31, 2009, 11:37:33 PM7/31/09
> Are you sure of your mechanic?- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I do trust this mechanic, but this web-site says this is an
interference engine; http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us70444.htm

Puddin' Man

Aug 1, 2009, 10:06:42 AM8/1/09
On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:37:33 -0700 (PDT), Frank from Deeeetroit <dadur...@voyager.net>
wrote:

>> Are you sure of the engine in the vehicle?
>>
>> Are you sure of your mechanic?- Hide quoted text -

>Yes, I do trust this mechanic, but this web-site says this is an
>interference engine; http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us70444.htm

Assuming it is, indeed, a dreaded "interference" motor, might it be possible
to :

1.) remove cam cover.
2.) rotate cam until valves on cyl 1 are both closed.
3.) rotate crank to TDC for compression and leak down test on cyl 1.
4.) repeat 1.) - 3.) for cyl's 2-4.

????

Philip5malin

Aug 1, 2009, 2:32:42 PM8/1/09
to Frank from Deetroit,
I looked at your site, it did not say it is interference engine. It
says it is likely not an interference engine.
" Fortunately for many Ford owners, there is enough clearance between
the valves and the pistons so no harm will come to the engine if the
belt snaps. But on older Escorts (up to 1985) with 1.6L engines as
well as 1989 and up Probes with 2.0L or 2.2L four cylinder engines, a
timing belt failure will usually bend a bunch of valves. "
So your Escort is 2002, newer than 1985, not older than 1985. Even
that is not always true, I worked on a 1984 Escort and it is not an
interf engine.
At this time, you just have to wait for your entrusted mechanic
answer. Again, a logical way is to do leak down test first. You can
even do leak down test without taking off cam cover, just rotate cam
45 degree increment, rotate flywheel half of 45 increment.
On Aug 1, 7:06 am, Puddin' Man <puddingDOT...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Jul 2009 20:37:33 -0700 (PDT), Frank from Deeeetroit <dadurwe...@voyager.net>

Philip5malin

Aug 1, 2009, 3:25:22 PM8/1/09

Ito: Frank from Deeeetroit.
Two engines are shown as possibles for that Escort, in the USA at
least.
4-116, 1.9 litre, Vin J SOHC, or
4-109, 1.8 litre, Vin 8 DOHC .

I ***On Jul 31, 8:37 pm, Frank from Deeeetroit

Frank from Deeeetroit

Aug 2, 2009, 12:50:45 PM8/2/09
> > interference engine;http://www.aa1car.com/library/2004/us70444.htm- Hide quoted text -

The engine is a DOHC, I believe it is a 2.o liter for model year 2002.

Should have the car back tomorrow or Tuesday. I will post the results
of the repairs.

Thanx to all for your research and replies. I will hoist a really
cold bottle of beer, later this afternoon, in thanx to all who
replied.

Cheers

Frank

Frank

kry...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2016, 2:11:05 PM7/12/16
So Frank, what was the outcome?

cl...@snyder.on.ca

Jul 12, 2016, 5:00:24 PM7/12/16
"alwats bent" AND "always broke" is not true.

I've seen them drop the belt on crank (starting) and do no damage at
all. I've also seen them drop a belt on the higway and bend a handfull
of valves and totally destroy the engine (parts jumping between cyls)
The worst situation is when it just looses a few teeth, and the belt
starts slipping around, letting the cams keep turning but way out of
time.

With that said, if it dropped the belt on the road the chances of it
NOT having at least one or 2 bent valves are VERY slim.