Can't unlock my steering wheel!

Arsenio Oloroso Jr.

Feb 23, 2003, 12:20:54 PM2/23/03
Anyone got any suggestions? I put the key into the ignition and jiggle
it while trying to move the steering wheel. It just won't unlock. Is
this one of the glitches in the Ford Focus?

Any leads are much appreciated.

Dave Gower

Feb 23, 2003, 1:02:25 PM2/23/03
Try your spare key. The chip in your old one may have been de-activated.

"Arsenio Oloroso Jr." <aolo...@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message

Tony Wesley

Feb 23, 2003, 3:53:35 PM2/23/03
"Arsenio Oloroso Jr." <aolo...@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message
> Anyone got any suggestions? I put the key into the ignition and jiggle
> it while trying to move the steering wheel. It just won't unlock. Is
> this one of the glitches in the Ford Focus?

Automatic or stick?

I used to have my key get stick in the ignition. Ford first replaced
the ignition cylinder, which didn't help. Then they replaced the
shifter and that fixed it. Mine's a 2001 made in Wayne, MI. And yours?

Arsenio Oloroso Jr.

Feb 23, 2003, 3:59:37 PM2/23/03
Thanks Dave,
Unfortunately, this is a used car that didn't come with a spare key. Didn't
know about this particular problem with the Focus.

Tony Wesley

Feb 23, 2003, 4:05:46 PM2/23/03

> Thanks Dave,
> Unfortunately, this is a used car that didn't come with a spare key. Didn't
> know about this particular problem with the Focus.

I don't think it's the chip. The steering wheel unlocking is a
mechanical issue. Every once in a blue moon, mine doesn't work.
I assume it's because of my Mobil Speed Pass (Ford says I'm not
supposed to put it on my key ring). But the mechanicals seem fine,
the key turns over. But nothing happens.

Can you start the car? If so, the chip is fine.

Arsenio Oloroso Jr.

Feb 23, 2003, 8:02:37 PM2/23/03
to Tony Wesley
Thanks much Tony,
It's stick (manual). And I can't unlock my steering column to even turn the
key to the start position. I've encountered this in other makes--where the
steering wheel is locked. But, normally, when you jiggle the key and sort
of move the steering wheel around, it all unlocks, and you can start the
car. This is the first time I've ever had a situation in my 30 years of
driving cars where this doesn't work. What gives?

Chris Sharp

Feb 23, 2003, 8:44:18 PM2/23/03
We see this problem every once in a while at the Ford Service Dept I work
at. Everytime it comes up, we have to replace the ignition cylinder. It
has always fixed it. Their could obviously be something different with your
particular car, but chances are it's the ignition cylinder.

C.

"Arsenio Oloroso Jr." <aolo...@rcnchicago.com> wrote in message

Dave Gower

Feb 23, 2003, 10:13:31 PM2/23/03
A lot of cars today come with such keys. Dealers can provide replacements,
but the cost is higher if you don't have the spare. However, it could also
be the lock jamming up. A cheap step is to buy one of those little tubes of
lock cleaner sold at any Auto-parts store.

The General

Feb 24, 2003, 10:40:40 AM2/24/03
I had a similar problem. I had to figure it out for myself though. There's a
switch under the shifter(I have an automatic) that disengages when the car
is in park. That button was defective. I had already took out the console
and when the key was stuck, I had to use a screwdriver to hit this button so
it would pop out and the key would then come out. Lucky for me Ford had
already ordered the part out of lack of any other "fixes" and I've never had
another problem.

Arsenio Oloroso Jr.

Feb 24, 2003, 11:30:29 AM2/24/03
Thanks to all for your helpful comments.

I just got the Focus towed to a dealership. Unfortunately, I also just found
out that the warranty expired last week :( Oh well, at least I can get the
recall work done at the same time.

Gerry

Feb 24, 2003, 11:23:15 PM2/24/03
Within a week on Warranty, talk to service manager, if he can't help, try
district manager...

Gerry

carbuyer

Jun 29, 2004, 8:20:11 AM6/29/04
We operate approximately 25 Ford Focus hatchbacks, along with approximately
35 Ford Escorts, Ranger Pickups, Toyota wagons and Suzuki wagons. The
Ford Focus ignitions are a "nightmare." Ford is well aware of the Focus
ignition problems but has failed to acknowledge the problem thus far. We
have replaced 16 faulty ignitions that lock up the steering wheel and the
key will not turn. The problem appears to be in the 2003 model primarily.
In some of these vehicles Ford has replaced the ignition 2 and three
times, the same problem continues to exist. After much conversation, they
are now saying that they have a "fix" for the problem. I will believe it
when I see it. We and our dealer are bearing the brunt of the cost, thus
far Ford is not even reimbursing the dealer. When you talk to Ford, they
reply with "we didn't know of this problem!" Anything to evade the cost
of a "recall." Meanwhile, it is costing our company a small fortune in
repairs, towing, down time, and customer complaints.

Dave Gower

Jun 29, 2004, 9:03:09 AM6/29/04

"carbuyer" <bil...@copper.net> wrote

> We operate approximately 25 Ford Focus hatchbacks... We

> have replaced 16 faulty ignitions that lock up the steering wheel and the
> key will not turn. The problem appears to be in the 2003 model primarily.

Hmmm. This is weird. Not the problem, but this post. First, the problem has
been mentioned on this newsgroup (it happened to me), but certainly not
anywhere near that frequently. Second, until this post I understood it to be
a problem of 2000 and 2001 models, not 2003. As to your comment that Ford
doesn't want to fix the problem, well it's certainly covered under the
vehicle warrantee. So why are you having to pay for it? Has the warrantee
expired on your vehicles so quickly?

Furthermore, it would generate more confidence among readers here if you
posted under your real name and gave the name and location of your company.

redel...@gmail.com

Apr 3, 2013, 9:10:10 PM4/3/13
On Sunday, February 23, 2003 12:22:05 PM UTC-5, Arsenio Oloroso Jr. wrote:
> Anyone got any suggestions? I put the key into the ignition and jiggle it while trying to move the steering wheel. It just won't unlock. Is this one of the glitches in the Ford Focus?Any leads are much appreciated.

Hi, Rafael from New Jersey. Very disapointed with ford.(problem with a Ford Explorer) and also I have a ford focus 2004, which has been driven only by my wife. Yesterday I suffered this problem and I do not know what to do and how much it will cost. Some one can give me a recomendation?

Don McC

Apr 4, 2013, 8:16:59 PM4/4/13
Arsenio Oloroso Jr. wrote:

> Anyone got any suggestions? I put the key into the ignition and jiggle it
> while trying to move the steering wheel. It just won't unlock. Is this one of
> the glitches in the Ford Focus? Any leads are much appreciated.

This was a common problem with ignition locks on early Focus models.
A locksmith will usually do the repair much more cheaply than will
a Ford dealer. Google "Focus ignition lock problem"
http://www.instructables.com/id/Fix-your-stuck-Ford-ignition/

Sometimes a hard tap on the end of the key will get you started.
The tricky part of the repair is working around the air bag.

--
Don

Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are much more pliable.
~ Mark Twain

cbrow...@gmail.com

Jun 8, 2014, 8:38:36 PM6/8/14
On Sunday, February 23, 2003 12:22:05 PM UTC-5, Arsenio Oloroso Jr. wrote:
After spending more than a day without a car due to this problem I finally came across a temporary solution. After inserting the key, place a book up against it and give it a fairly hard punch. It took me a few punches to get it to go as I was scared to do any damage at first. This will push it far enough to trigger the last switch and allow you to turn the wheel and start the car, but this is purely temporary and you will need a new ignition cylinder lock