Dodge Ram SS/T Performance

Kabuki2

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97

I have a 97 Emeral Green SS/T with the 360 and the 3.55 axle.. I'm looking to
increase the performance while keeping it reliable at the same time.. to start
with I was thinking a less restrictive intake, does K&N offer one and has
anyone had any good results? What about a higher ratio roller rocker
assembly..?? I'm also going to upgrade the exhaust, anyone have any experience
with headers and what kind of performance increase they provide?? I'd also like
mfg web sites or phone #s because I can't find many aftermarket parts for this
truck!

ttyl
patrick

Eddie Hostler

Nov 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/26/97
to Kabuki2

Go for the K&N FIPK filter assembly. Should be #57-1503. If you go
throug Bob Franzke at Performance International, fra...@ibm.net, he can
get you a real good deal. You can also bolt on the Jacobs Electronics
http://www.jacobselectronics.com Ignition system for some good
performance gains as well.

K&N's complete FIPK (Filtercharger Injection Performance Kits) can
offer an honest 7-10% extra HP to your engine. These complete kits
are designed to be less restrictive than the OEM air filter system.
Low restriction air filters allow the engine to have better throttle
response as well as substantially more power throughout the RPM band.
K&N has designed the FIPK to exactly replace the OEM factory air
cleaner case, with a precision engineered aluminum adapter, large cone
type K&N filter, mounting brackets and all other necessary components
for a complete installation. A 2 bottle cleaner/oil maintenance kit
is even included.

These kits are 50 state legal for the specific vehicle they were
designed for and carry an E.O. (Exemption Order) number issued by the
C.A.R.B. This will allow your vehicle to pass the visual inspection
at an authorized Smog inspection station.

Each FIPK has a specially designed filter with special woven cotton
fabric sandwiched between 2 layers of wire mesh screen. The screen
and fabric combination creates a grid-like effect which actually
straightens out the incoming air as it passes through the filter. In
addition to the filter, this kit has a uniquely designed adapter with
a built-in velocity stack. This velocity stack is beneficial in
further smoothing out the incoming air flow and allowing for a less
restrictive entry into the engine. (air moving in a straight
direction moves faster than tumbling air thus creating an increase in
air flow much like a ram air effect)

PLEASE SEND ALL INQUIRIES TO:

Performance International
696 W. 18th St.
Costa Mesa, CA 92627
Email: fra...@ibm.net
Fax: 714-642-3923 (USA)

Liz Miller-Philbrook/Scott Philbrook

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

Kabuki2 wrote:

> I have a 97 Emeral Green SS/T with the 360 and the 3.55 axle.. I'm looking to
> increase the performance while keeping it reliable at the same time.. to start
> with I was thinking a less restrictive intake, does K&N offer one and has
> anyone had any good results? What about a higher ratio roller rocker
> assembly..?? I'm also going to upgrade the exhaust, anyone have any experience
> with headers and what kind of performance increase they provide?? I'd also like
> mfg web sites or phone #s because I can't find many aftermarket parts for this
> truck!
>
> ttyl
> patrick

the most cost effective thing you can do, is install a supercharger, and
some exhaust mods.

none

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

I have a 97 CC 4x4 with the 5.9 engine. Gear ratio: 3.55, BFG 285-75 x 16
all terrain tires. Here is the mods I have done to date. I am one of the few
people who can post facts, not fiction, not manufacturer's claims, or what I
think my ass feels. I actually run my truck on a Dynojet Model 248C Chassis
Dynomometer after each modification.

K&N replacement filter P/N 33-2084
(FIPK made 4 less HP & 10 less lbs tq)

Edelbrock headers P/N 6601

Borla XR-1 muffler P/N 40719
(Gibson made 3 less HP, Flowmaster made 2 less)

Custom 3" single exhaust from the headers to the tailpipe, including a 3"
high performance cat.
(dual exhaust made 2 more HP but dropped 18 lbs tq)

Dyno results at the rear wheels: 232.8 HP corrected, 298.3 FPT corrected
Acceleration from 0 to 4400 RPM
Barometric Pressure: 29.76 in. Hg.
Vapor Pressure: 0.42 in. Hg.
Intake Air Temp: 73.5 deg. F
Gear Ratio: 40 RPM / MPH
Correction Factor: 0.99 SAE
Top Speed: 110 MPH (due to computer speed limiter)

Email address not posted for love of spam.

Mike

joe bogus

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

On Wed, 26 Nov 1997 17:05:08 -0700, Eddie Hostler <hos...@pcisys.net>
wrote:

>Kabuki2 wrote:
>>
>> I have a 97 Emeral Green SS/T with the 360 and the 3.55 axle.. I'm looking to
>> increase the performance while keeping it reliable at the same time.. to start
>> with I was thinking a less restrictive intake, does K&N offer one and has
>> anyone had any good results? What about a higher ratio roller rocker
>> assembly..?? I'm also going to upgrade the exhaust, anyone have any experience
>> with headers and what kind of performance increase they provide?? I'd also like
>> mfg web sites or phone #s because I can't find many aftermarket parts for this
>> truck!
>>
>> ttyl
>> patrick

I have a 96 ram 1500 with a 360, and after alot of research I found
the best aftermarket parts can be purchased right from your Dodge
Dealer. Mopar offers a "Magnum RT Performance Package " which by the
way is not the same RT package they offer on their trucks. The
package includes K&N filter, Headers, Computer, and Cam. These parts
are sold seperately and so far I have added the filter and the
headers. I can definitely tell the difference and can't wait to
complete the exhaust with the catback system they offer. By the way,
the headers, to my surprise come with a lifetime warranty and are
heavier than any of the competitions (14 ga. tubing and 3/8" flanges).
If you want more info on the system try this address.

http://www.d-p-g.com/moparmuscle/july96/et.htm

Kabuki2

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

>the most cost effective thing you can do, is install a supercharger, and
>some exhaust mods.

I have considered this, but what's a good charger to go with.. all my friends
use vortechs, but I see whipple chargers and other smaller roots type blowers
on alot of trucks... is that the way to go with these lower RPM motors??.. if
anyone has any prices/info I'd be interested in hearing from them.

ttyl
patrick

Eddie Hostler

Nov 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/27/97

> I have a 96 ram 1500 with a 360, and after alot of research I found
> the best aftermarket parts can be purchased right from your Dodge
> Dealer. Mopar offers a "Magnum RT Performance Package " which by the
> way is not the same RT package they offer on their trucks. The
> package includes K&N filter, Headers, Computer, and Cam. These parts
> are sold seperately and so far I have added the filter and the
> headers. I can definitely tell the difference and can't wait to
> complete the exhaust with the catback system they offer. By the way,
> the headers, to my surprise come with a lifetime warranty and are
> heavier than any of the competitions (14 ga. tubing and 3/8" flanges).
> If you want more info on the system try this address.
>
> http://www.d-p-g.com/moparmuscle/july96/et.htm

Just so you know, the filter can be bought for far less money from Bob
franke than your local dealership will sell it to you for. Same goes
for the headers, as I recall they should be Hookers. The warranty on
the headers is from the manufacturer not Dodge.

Ed

Kabuki2

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

>K&N replacement filter P/N 33-2084
>(FIPK made 4 less HP & 10 less lbs tq)

I haven't seen the FIPK.. what's the difference, I thought they were supposed
to work ??? :)

ttyl
patrick

Eddie Hostler

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

The replacement filter is a drop in cartridge (just like the existing
one). The FIPK replace the exisiting housing. You get a velocity
stack, open element filter and a cover. It is also a different P/N than
what was mentioned. Unless you disonect power to the ECU for at least 5
minutes after the installation of new equipment, it can take up to 5
fillups for the ECU to learn the new characteristics of the
modification. Most people do experience better perfomance after the
installation.

If you would like to see what the K&N filters look like and read about
the differences, go to http://www.motorville.com/kn_home/kntrucks.html

You will notice that the 33-2084 is the drop in replacement
filtercharger, and the 57-1503 is the FIPK. There is a big difference
between the two.

Ed

--
Long distance phone calls for only 9.9 cents per minute.
A money making opportunity.

joe bogus

Nov 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM11/28/97

On Thu, 27 Nov 1997 23:59:51 -0700, Eddie Hostler <hos...@pcisys.net>
wrote:

>> I have a 96 ram 1500 with a 360, and after alot of research I found

You can also get them through summit.

Mike Smith

Dec 2, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/2/97

I'm assuming your running the 5.2 or 5.8 magnum engine.? Why change the
intake? I'd suggest the following: 1. Mopar Performance 3" exhaust, 2.
Headers. There are many companies such as Mopar, Doug Thorley, Heddman. 3.
Mopar Performance computer. I think the cam, rockers, and springs are good
till around 6000 rpm. Then there's always Nitrous Oxide. I know for a fact
a 2 second gain on a Dakota.
TurboMike

Kabuki2 <kab...@aol.com> wrote in article
<19971126180...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

Rubadube

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

Do they have these packages available for Dodge Ramchargers? thanks.

Eddie Hostler

Dec 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/5/97

As far as I know, they do not make the Dodge Ramcharger any more.

Ed

Rubadube wrote:

> Do they have these packages available for Dodge Ramchargers? thanks.

Liquid

Dec 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/9/97

The Ramcharger has been reincarnated by a company in Corsicana Texas. They
are the same ones that do the four door (crew cab style) conversions for
the factory. They do nice work and are rather thorough.
The conversions are pricey, but nice.

Liquid

Rubadube

Dec 10, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/10/97

i understand, but are there any good tips for giving it more performance?
Thanks

Nitemare90

Dec 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/14/97

well what year ramcharger? if it was made in the 90's then u probably can use
the Mopar Magnum Performance pieces they couldn't have changed the engines
much. it might be worth looking into

Chris
' 96 Ram SLT CC 4x2 5.9L w/ all the trimmings

Rubadube

Dec 17, 1997, 3:00:00 AM12/17/97

it is a 91 ramcharger. I would like to hear about those pieces your talking
about. I just think that most people don't want to bother with the damn thing
because they see it as not worthy of power.