Google'i grupid ei toeta enam uusi Useneti postitusi ega tellimusi. Ajalooline sisu jääb vaadatavaks.

Dodge Ram 5sp with Cummins overdrive or not? and other things.

8 vaatamist
Liigu esimese lugemata sõnumi juurde

PLCPRO

lugemata,
19. juuni 1998, 03:00:0019.06.98
kuni

These are some question I plan to E-male to Dodge. I will post the
answers if I get any.
I have a 1998 2500 4x4 cummins QC 5sp. On the build sheet it says
"OVERDRIVE NO". Is this only for autos? On the sticker on the left, after
transmission is says "Transmission - HD Manual 5_Speed", nothing about
overdrive. My truck turns about 2200 rpm at 70mph with standard tires and a
3.55 (yes a 3.55, not a 3.54 or a 3.53, or that is what it says on the sticker
under the hood) dana 80 rear.
Why is it that people with older 12v trucks seem to get better milage. Is
it the 5th gear ratio.
Under the hood the sticker says I have a Dana 80 rear axle but does not
give the waight rating. I would like to know what it is.
My manual says this about shifting." For improved clutch life, all five
forward gears should be used. For steady highway driving with light
acceleration, 5th gear is recommended." also "You should use low gear when
starting from a standing position if under a heavy load." It is now wonder
people don't know what gear to start in, one place the manual says to allways
start in first, in another place it says you only need to start in first if you
have a heavy load.
Why was I charged $100.00 for a shift on the fly transfer case when it is
standard equipment.

plc...@aol.com
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 QC 4x4 Cummins 5sp 3.55

Diana

lugemata,
19. juuni 1998, 03:00:0019.06.98
kuni

PLCPRO wrote in message <199806192315...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...

We have a 1997 Dodge Ram 2500, 4x4 Cummins 5sp. 4.10.
We were turning 2000 rpms at 60 mph. We installed a Gear Vendor
Overdrive/Underdrive, and now we are turning 1500 rpms at 60 mph. We now
get 20-22 miles per gallon of diesel.

The truck runs much quieter. You can actually hear each other talk.
It cost about $3200, but has been worth it.

With the Overdrive and the Bf Goodrich Velvet Rides that we installed, the
truck now rides like a normal vehicle. My daughter no longer calls it "the
Semi".

Diana

Don Curtis

lugemata,
20. juuni 1998, 03:00:0020.06.98
kuni

In article <199806192315...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, plc...@aol.com (PLCPRO) wrote:
> These are some question I plan to E-male to Dodge. I will post the
>answers if I get any.
> I have a 1998 2500 4x4 cummins QC 5sp. On the build sheet it says
>"OVERDRIVE NO". Is this only for autos? On the sticker on the left, after
>transmission is says "Transmission - HD Manual 5_Speed", nothing about
>overdrive. My truck turns about 2200 rpm at 70mph with standard tires and a
>3.55 (yes a 3.55, not a 3.54 or a 3.53, or that is what it says on the sticker
>under the hood) dana 80 rear.

Yes...you have an overdrive transmission. the Overdrive NO is probably
related to the OD switch used with automatic transmissions.

> Why is it that people with older 12v trucks seem to get better milage. Is
>it the 5th gear ratio.

no idea

> Under the hood the sticker says I have a Dana 80 rear axle but does not
>give the waight rating. I would like to know what it is.

it's on the door sticker...it'll be 6084lbs GAWR due to the tires, not the
axle

> My manual says this about shifting." For improved clutch life, all five
>forward gears should be used. For steady highway driving with light
>acceleration, 5th gear is recommended." also "You should use low gear when
>starting from a standing position if under a heavy load." It is now wonder
>people don't know what gear to start in, one place the manual says to allways
>start in first, in another place it says you only need to start in first if you
>have a heavy load.

their owner's manuals are horrible...and full of mistakes. Look at the shift
points (speeds) for acceleration vs cruise...they're reversed!

> Why was I charged $100.00 for a shift on the fly transfer case when it is
>standard equipment.

That's the heavy duty transfer case. It's a good thing

Kent

lugemata,
20. juuni 1998, 03:00:0020.06.98
kuni

> In article <199806192315...@ladder03.news.aol.com>, plc...@aol.com (PLCPRO) wrote:
> > These are some question I plan to E-male to Dodge. I will post the
> >answers if I get any.

> > Why is it that people with older 12v trucks seem to get better milage. Is

> >it the 5th gear ratio.

I would be curious as to what Dodge tells you the reason is. As far as
I am concerned, the reason is that the 12 valve has a base compression
ratio of 18.5:1 while the ISB's base CR is 17.3:1. What that means you
can find in any good thermodynamics book, and I seem to have lost mine.
But as I recall it went something like,"the higher the compression ratio
the higher the efficiency."

Kent

0 uut sõnumit