98 Dodge Dually 1 ton 4 SALE

Larry Vandyke

Oct 9, 2001, 11:46:12 PM10/9/01
Have 98 1 ton white Dodge Cummings Turbo Desiel 4X4 Club cab 5 speed,
Laramie camper top on long bed, diamod plate flush tool box, DeeZee diamond
plate running boards full length, A/C, cassette stereo, 100699 highway
miles. Never smoked in. Runs strong and loves to pull. Have 410 gears for
serious towing with good rubber. Bought for fifth wheel and never used for
such. Too much truck for my motorcycle trailer. Has electric brake package.
Gets 21 mpg on highway.

In Boise, ID
208 855-9493
have over $30,000.00 invested--sell for $24500.00

Can be seen at:

http://rvclassified.com/rvclassified_cfmfiles/ads/adsearch2.cfm

codeman

Oct 10, 2001, 6:52:21 AM10/10/01
Not bad, ~$0.055 per mile for ownership cost. I'll pay anyone 5.5 cents per
mile(I'll buy the tires,fuel and lube) for the use of their $30k plus
truck.

"Larry Vandyke" <lvan...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

.

Oct 10, 2001, 8:30:00 AM10/10/01
May be worth about 1/2 that if he's lucky.

Have Patience, While We Wait For The Eagle
To Sharpen It's Claws!
THE CLAWS ARE NOW SHARP!

ho...@nospamextremejeep.com

Oct 10, 2001, 10:45:15 AM10/10/01
Private Party Value $19,390 (from Kelley Blue Book)

He is a bit high, but not much, and depending on area, demand may justify
a premium price somewhat. *shrug*

--
Hogan Whittall
This is formal notice under California Assembly Bill 1629, enacted

RedNeck TookOver Hell

Oct 10, 2001, 12:32:35 PM10/10/01
C'mon guys, he does have the Cummings engine.
That should be worth the difference? :)

If you can't race it or take it to bed, it ain't worth having!!!!

Bu...@trailertrash.com

Oct 10, 2001, 9:45:46 PM10/10/01
Such a deal. Can I buy a dozen at that price? If you can get that kind of
money back on a Dodge, I'm ready to unload my Ford Powerstroke that hasn't
yet reached 100,000 miles and buy a new Dodge. I just need to remember to
sell the Dodge at about 100,000 miles. I just ask $5,500 less than what I
paid plus the upgrades. I think I have that right. Just please, correct me
if I am wrong. You better get a lot closer to the $20K mark to make this
truck competitive. Then ad 0% financing and maybe you will find a buyer.

Larrie Malobenski

Oct 10, 2001, 6:45:12 PM10/10/01
100K miles? Can you spell DEPRECIATE????

codeman

Oct 10, 2001, 11:34:26 PM10/10/01

<ho...@NOSPAMextremejeep.com> wrote in message

> Private Party Value $19,390 (from Kelley Blue Book)
>
> He is a bit high, but not much, and depending on area, demand may justify
> a premium price somewhat. *shrug*

FOLKS,,,,,, ($30,000 - $19,390) / 100,699 miles = $0.1054 per mile. For
arguments sake, if the truck life is 300.000 miles and it cost $30,000,
then that is ten-cents per mile. Cheap.. I don't believe the truck can go
300,000 miles without a little wrenching on the rest of the truck. What is
happening, the original owner is getting the trouble free miles and the
second owner is getting the milage where the wrenching cost (rest of the
truck besides the engine) will be occuring. Still a good deal? Not for me.
I would take the new truck beginning miles anyday over the back half of the
life. My offer still stands, I'll pay anyone 10 cents a mile for the use of
a $30,000 truck ( I will furnish fuel , tires, tags, insurance and lube
only) . the asking sale price is still $24,xxx .

ho...@nospamextremejeep.com

Oct 11, 2001, 3:48:29 AM10/11/01
In alt.autos.dodge.trucks Larrie Malobenski <lmal...@alltel.net> wrote:

> 100K miles? Can you spell DEPRECIATE????

It's a Cummins, can you say MILLION MILE ENGINE? :) Ok ok, so I've only
seen a couple with over 1mil miles...and a number with 600k miles...and a
whole lot with 250k miles...and mine in like-new condition with no
problems or mechanical failures with 150k miles...

100k miles on a gasser = Ok, where's the sucker to buy it?

100k miles on a Cummins or most any other diesel = Wow, it's *almost*
broken in...

Check Edmunds or Kelley, the price is a little high, sure, but he's not
asking $24k for a truck only worth $14k like some might think.

Anyway...those that know Cummins know 100k miles is hardly a drop in the
bucket and have no problem buying such a vehicle, atleast if the engine is
where most of the concern lies.

Lon VanOstran

Oct 11, 2001, 5:34:49 AM10/11/01

You seem to be forgetting that the original owner had $30,000 invested
while getting that $10,000 worth of use. If you had 3 owners over the
300,000 mile life of the truck, the second owner would have $20,000
invested while he gets $10,000 worth of use, and the third owner would
only have $10,000 invested while getting his $10,000 worth of use.

Lon

codeman

Oct 11, 2001, 7:25:51 AM10/11/01

"Lon VanOstran" <RV...@voyager.net> wrote in message

You missed my point, The first owner has a new truck, covered partially by
warrantee and he only pays $10,000 for 100,000 miles of use (your scenario)

Second owner vary possibly will face transmission/clutch/brake/rotors/
valve-adjustment/airconditioning/accessories/? repair in the second 100,000
miles of which nothing is under warrantee and comes out of his pocket. He
will most likely have more than his $10,000 invested for his 100,000 miles
worth.

Third owner. about the same scenario as #2 owner but now he has a motor and
truck with unknown maintenance life with 200,000 miles on it and everything
mentioned about plus more items on the truck could/will come apart. He will
have more than $10,000 invested in his 100,000 miles.

The winner is owner #1.

codeman

Oct 11, 2001, 7:47:25 AM10/11/01

> In alt.autos.dodge.trucks Larrie Malobenski <lmal...@alltel.net> wrote:
>
> > 100K miles? Can you spell DEPRECIATE????
>
> It's a Cummins, can you say MILLION MILE ENGINE? :) Ok ok, so I've only
> seen a couple with over 1mil miles...and a number with 600k miles...and a
> whole lot with 250k miles...and mine in like-new condition with no
> problems or mechanical failures with 150k miles...

I can not believe a typical/realistic 1,000,000 mile life expectancy on a
ISB5.9 motor. For the bigger over the road truck motors, yes, very likely.

I can believe 300,000/400,000/maybe 500,000 miles with proper driving and
maintenace ( yes, there are exceptions) Then there is the rest of the truck
to consider. Same chassic/brakes/cab/and what not to fail. Golly,
owning/operating a truck over that length of time/mileage without hitting or
being hit( totalling the truck) by someone else would be a miricle. :) I
suspect that those few and far between high mileage trucks are hot-shotters
and part of their success in high mileage is never turning the motor off for
long periods of time and driving long stretches without varying speed or
shifting/braking alot. Also, one competent and savy driver for that high
mileage truck.

> 100k miles on a gasser = Ok, where's the sucker to buy it?

Ummm, depending on the work load, a gasser should go closer to 200,000 miles
and then install a reconditioned motor. Rest of the truck is the same as
what the Cummins comes in.

> 100k miles on a Cummins or most any other diesel = Wow, it's *almost*
> broken in...

True. I keep pointing out that there is more to a truck that just the
motor. The last truck that I owned, I got rid of after 20 years/150,000
original miles was because everything else except the motor was
failing/working properly and not worth fixing all the little nit-picking
shit stuff.

ho...@nospamextremejeep.com

Oct 11, 2001, 3:09:47 PM10/11/01
In alt.autos.dodge.trucks codeman <cod...@gj.net> wrote:

> <ho...@NOSPAMextremejeep.com> wrote in message
>> In alt.autos.dodge.trucks Larrie Malobenski <lmal...@alltel.net> wrote:
>>
>> > 100K miles? Can you spell DEPRECIATE????
>>
>> It's a Cummins, can you say MILLION MILE ENGINE? :) Ok ok, so I've only
>> seen a couple with over 1mil miles...and a number with 600k miles...and a
>> whole lot with 250k miles...and mine in like-new condition with no
>> problems or mechanical failures with 150k miles...

> I can not believe a typical/realistic 1,000,000 mile life expectancy on a
> ISB5.9 motor. For the bigger over the road truck motors, yes, very likely.

Why, in the most recent TDR issue there is a Dodge with a documented
1,000,000+ miles. Not a single repair on the engine or rebuild, all
original. Went through a couple of manual trannies, one had a problem and
was covered under warranty. Around 600,000 miles I think it was the truck
started having various things fail from use, such as the blinker switch,
wiper motors, etc, but those are all things that fail from use eventually.
I've talked to a number of owners with over 500,000 miles, and even talked
to a Ford PSD owner with 700,000 miles on his original engine.

In case you weren't aware, the ISB5.9 is not limited to use in Dodge
trucks. Freightliner uses them, a number of yachts have them, even the
BIG Ford F-series trucks use them. Cummins gives the ISB5.9 in the Dodge
a MTBO of 450,000 miles. That number is quite conservative, a properly
maintained Cummins will go 600,000 miles or more easily before its first
overhaul.

> I can believe 300,000/400,000/maybe 500,000 miles with proper driving and
> maintenace ( yes, there are exceptions) Then there is the rest of the truck
> to consider. Same chassic/brakes/cab/and what not to fail. Golly,
> owning/operating a truck over that length of time/mileage without hitting or
> being hit( totalling the truck) by someone else would be a miricle. :) I
> suspect that those few and far between high mileage trucks are hot-shotters
> and part of their success in high mileage is never turning the motor off for
> long periods of time and driving long stretches without varying speed or
> shifting/braking alot. Also, one competent and savy driver for that high
> mileage truck.

It would seem that those high-mileage trucks are more common than you
think and hold up better than you give them credit for. How many diesel
owners, besides the ones here, have you talked to? I've talked to
numerous ones, the figures I'm quoting aren't pulled out of my ass,
they're from the mouths of people that own such trucks. It's not that
hard to find them, either. If you have some free time, call up a Cummins
repair shop and ask them how many miles you can expect to get out of a
properly maintained ISB, I bet they'll tell you more than that 500,000
mile number you pulled out. :)

>> 100k miles on a gasser = Ok, where's the sucker to buy it?

> Ummm, depending on the work load, a gasser should go closer to 200,000 miles
> and then install a reconditioned motor. Rest of the truck is the same as
> what the Cummins comes in.

The key word being should, and 200,000 miles isn't far off, but
considering I put 25k miles on my truck in a year, buying a gasser with
100,000 miles is throwing money away. Once you cross 100,000 miles on a
gasser you can count on various problems popping up here and there. My
point was the mileage alone really doesn't say how much life is left in a
truck and some engines have much longer lives than others.

>> 100k miles on a Cummins or most any other diesel = Wow, it's *almost*
>> broken in...
>>

> True. I keep pointing out that there is more to a truck that just the
> motor. The last truck that I owned, I got rid of after 20 years/150,000
> original miles was because everything else except the motor was
> failing/working properly and not worth fixing all the little nit-picking
> shit stuff.

Yes, that is true, but what is the one part people tend to be most
concerned with? Which is the most expensive to replace? My '97 has
150,000 miles and is in the same condition as when it was first driven off
the lot. No squeaks, no rattles, no problems. 600,000 miles is not an
unrealistic number for this truck.

How many other trucks would you say 600,000 miles is a realistic lifespan?

.

Oct 11, 2001, 3:41:00 PM10/11/01
It's a Cummins, can you say MILLION MILE ENGINE?
Yea but can you say DODGE which is what the other 75% or so is!
<ho...@NOSPAMextremejeep.com> wrote in message

YUM

Oct 11, 2001, 5:14:08 PM10/11/01
And the good thing after 600,000 miles with the Cummins is that there is
something left to rebuild.
Not the transmissions though. Cummins? time for you to Make a Transmission.

Inventor.

Brett Parker

Oct 11, 2001, 6:00:59 PM10/11/01

codeman

Oct 11, 2001, 10:10:02 PM10/11/01

<ho...@NOSPAMextremejeep.com> wrote in message

> In alt.autos.dodge.trucks codeman <cod...@gj.net> wrote:
>

> > <ho...@NOSPAMextremejeep.com> wrote in message

> >> It's a Cummins, can you say MILLION MILE ENGINE? :) Ok ok, so I've
only
> >> seen a couple with over 1mil miles...and a number with 600k miles...and
> >> whole lot with 250k miles...and mine in like-new condition with no
> >> problems or mechanical failures with 150k miles...
>
> > I can not believe a typical/realistic 1,000,000 mile life expectancy on
> > ISB5.9 motor. For the bigger over the road truck motors, yes, very
likely.

> Why, in the most recent TDR issue there is a Dodge with a documented
> 1,000,000+ miles. Not a single repair on the engine or rebuild, all
> original. Went through a couple of manual trannies, one had a problem and
> was covered under warranty. Around 600,000 miles I think it was the truck
> started having various things fail from use, such as the blinker switch,
> wiper motors, etc, but those are all things that fail from use eventually.
> I've talked to a number of owners with over 500,000 miles, and even talked
> to a Ford PSD owner with 700,000 miles on his original engine.

I oringinally said there was *exceptions* to the mileage of a Cummins just
like there are exceptions of people living after falling out of an aircraft
without a parachute. You mentioned that at 600,000 miles, the truck was
showing failure of other components but must have overcome those problems
for another 400,000 miles? Guess so. Seems Dodge/Cummins have advertised
in the past of the motor being a 400,000 mile between overhaul motor.
Yes/NO?

You mentioned talking to several owners with 500,000 miles. That is half of
1,000,000 and that is where I was questioning the whole issue. First, could
the motor do it, and second could the vehicle that the motor was in, could
acheive the million mile mark. Not very often do you pull a motor with
500,000 or 600,000 miles on it and install it in another truck. Has
happend, no doubt.

> In case you weren't aware, the ISB5.9 is not limited to use in Dodge
> trucks. Freightliner uses them, a number of yachts have them, even the
> BIG Ford F-series trucks use them. Cummins gives the ISB5.9 in the Dodge
> a MTBO of 450,000 miles. That number is quite conservative, a properly
> maintained Cummins will go 600,000 miles or more easily before its first
> overhaul.

OK, 450,000 and 600,000 is still a long ways from *1,000,000* miles.

Yes, I know ISB5.9's are used in a wide variety of applications.

> > I can believe 300,000/400,000/maybe 500,000 miles with proper driving
and
> > maintenace ( yes, there are exceptions) Then there is the rest of the
truck
> > to consider. Same chassic/brakes/cab/and what not to fail. Golly,
> > owning/operating a truck over that length of time/mileage without
hitting or
> > being hit( totalling the truck) by someone else would be a miricle. :)
> > suspect that those few and far between high mileage trucks are
hot-shotters
> > and part of their success in high mileage is never turning the motor off
for
> > long periods of time and driving long stretches without varying speed or
> > shifting/braking alot. Also, one competent and savy driver for that high
> > mileage truck.
>
> It would seem that those high-mileage trucks are more common than you
> think and hold up better than you give them credit for.

I hope so, and will concede that my 300,400 and 500k mileage is probably
low.

How many diesel
> owners, besides the ones here, have you talked to? I've talked to
> numerous ones, the figures I'm quoting aren't pulled out of my ass,
> they're from the mouths of people that own such trucks.

Haven't seen or talked to anyone with that sort of mileage. I live off the
beaten path so my exposure is limited.

It's not that
> hard to find them, either. If you have some free time, call up a Cummins
> repair shop and ask them how many miles you can expect to get out of a
> properly maintained ISB, I bet they'll tell you more than that 500,000
> mile number you pulled out. :)

Just came back from a Power Booster get-together at the Cummins shop. Shop
manager mention he say a Ram Cummins with 600,000 on it and the truck and
motor were pretty well used up.

> >> 100k miles on a gasser = Ok, where's the sucker to buy it?
>
> > Ummm, depending on the work load, a gasser should go closer to 200,000
miles
> > and then install a reconditioned motor. Rest of the truck is the same
as
> > what the Cummins comes in.
>
> The key word being should, and 200,000 miles isn't far off, but
> considering I put 25k miles on my truck in a year, buying a gasser with
> 100,000 miles is throwing money away. Once you cross 100,000 miles on a
> gasser you can count on various problems popping up here and there.

Besides the engine, what? Both the gasser and diesel Dodge/Ford use the
same components other than the engine. So if you are saying the rest of the
truck is shot on a gasser after 100,000 miles, then so should the same
components on a diesel model. A used gasser *shouldn't* command as high a
resale value as a diesel because of a variety of reasons.

My
> point was the mileage alone really doesn't say how much life is left in a
> truck and some engines have much longer lives than others.

Agree.

> >> 100k miles on a Cummins or most any other diesel = Wow, it's *almost*
> >> broken in...
> >>

> > True. I keep pointing out that there is more to a truck that just the
> > motor. The last truck that I owned, I got rid of after 20 years/150,000
> > original miles was because everything else except the motor was
> > failing/working properly and not worth fixing all the little nit-picking
> > shit stuff.
>
> Yes, that is true, but what is the one part people tend to be most
> concerned with? Which is the most expensive to replace?

You are leading to the motor right? Total Replacement Cummins motor is
~$7,000 plus installation. Rest of truck is worth considerable more, I
would hope. Good motor isn't worth a damn without a good
rest-of-truck-componenets. Right? An ISB5.9 isn't to valuable just
sitting there on the ground. An ISB5.9 is worth a whole bunch more when it
has a proper chariet to ride in.
People have a kind of screwed up vision when they concentrate so hard on
just *one* component of a vehicle and foreget the rest. IMO of course. :)

My '97 has
> 150,000 miles and is in the same condition as when it was first driven off
> the lot. No squeaks, no rattles, no problems. 600,000 miles is not an
> unrealistic number for this truck.

More power to you. Hmmm, you have 450,000 more miles to go and at 25,000
miles/yr you have 18 more years to go. We will pick up this conversation in
2019 to see who is right. That will make your truck 24 years old. Hope you
like the color and body style of it :)

> How many other trucks would you say 600,000 miles is a realistic lifespan?

Back to the original disagreement. I am probably wrong in my originally
post of 300-500k miles as the life of a ISB that is *well* maintained. I
still stand firm on the 1,000,000 mile figure as *not* being a realistic
mileage for an ISB.

*IF* an ISB5.9 could *realistically* go 600,000 or 1,000,000 miles then it
sure would be a great advertising/sales gimmick for Dodge/Cummins to
warrantee it for something much greater than the present 100,000 miles.
Lets say, for arguments sake, 300,000 miles or half of 600,000. Man,
could you see the faces of Ford Motor CO, Executives when they heard
Dodge/Cummins had a guarantee for 300,000 miles or 10 years on the motor to
the original owner?