98 Dodge 318 with an annoying miss

Cecil Jmio

Jun 24, 2001, 1:34:19 AM6/24/01
My 1998 Dodge Quad Cab 4x4 with a 5.2L engine has a slight miss on a
gradual
pull. I changed the plugs ,wiring ,distributor cap and rerouted the
ignition wires as
per TBS bulletin. I would like some suggestions on what other course of
action
I should take........( getting rid of it.)..... I am thinking of that
too.

Cecil Jmio

MAX340

Jun 24, 2001, 3:45:06 AM6/24/01
Define a "slight miss". Is it random? Is it one cylinder in particular? What
makes it happen? Does it happen on a hard pull? How slight is it? Was the rotor
part of the stuff you changed?

Are you sure its spark related? How are the injectors? Any vacuum leaks?

If you want to fix the problem, ya need more info.

>I should take........( getting rid of it.)..... I am thinking of that
>too.

Well, if you dont like the truck, dont waste time on it. If you like it,
diagnose the problem instead of buying parts.

Max

"Reality.exe" not found ------->Application "Universe" terminated.

Jacob Suter

Jun 24, 2001, 7:48:41 AM6/24/01
Sounds like a sign of a failing coil to me - my intermittant misses pretty
much went away when I replaced that tiny little coil that Chrysler thinks is
sufficient with a bigger unit (being driven off the computer - no MSD
ignition module or anything).

If your wires are older, or are even marginal quality - the new coil is
likely to cook them in a few weeks (at least it did mine...)

If you get a new coil, get a regular "old-school" round coil, move/convert
the wiring to the new coil, and mount the coil as close to the distributer
as you can. Go to the local parts house and get the shortest ignition wire
you can that will do the job - at least 8mm, preferably 9mm (remember - your
coil wire gets 8x as much use as any other wire under the hood)

The stock coil location on my '99 ram 1500 (truck) was on the front of the
motor, which required about a 3 foot run from the coil to the distributer.

The coil I used and have good luck with so far (about 18k miles) is a stock
replacement coil that was originally purchased for a Ford 351W w/ Duraspark
ignition...

If you end up splicing wires - be sure to solder the connections, I wouldn't
suggest squeeze type T's or butt connectors for this application.

JS

"Cecil Jmio" <caj...@uniserve.com> wrote in message

Cecil Jmio

Jun 24, 2001, 9:51:41 PM6/24/01

Cecil Jmio wrote:

MAX340 wrote:

> Define a "slight miss". Is it random? Is it one cylinder in particular?
> What
> makes it happen? Does it happen on a hard pull? How slight is it? Was the
> rotor
> part of the stuff you changed?
>
> Are you sure its spark related? How are the injectors? Any vacuum leaks?
>
> If you want to fix the problem, ya need more info.
>

> >I should take........( getting rid of it.)..... I am thinking of that
> >too.
>

> Well, if you dont like the truck, dont waste time on it. If you like it,
> diagnose the problem instead of buying parts.
>
> Max
>
> "Reality.exe" not found ------->Application "Universe" terminated.

I took the truck in to our local Chrysler dealer , they said the test scan
showed no
fault codes stored in memory but #1 & #2 misfire showed up on road test.

I was told the vehicle needs plug wire re-arrengement and software update
to latest
version. I did the plug wire re-arrengement as per TBS 18-48-98 but the
truck
still shudders going up hills. I don't know if the software update will
make a difference.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Cecil

Murf '99 FLSTC

Jun 26, 2001, 8:08:32 AM6/26/01
How do you get the software update. I have the same symptoms with my 98
dodge ram 5.2. I have replaced the plug wires, but had a heck of a time
getting to the dist cap and rotor and have not done that yet.. New plugs
also.

Steve

"Cecil Jmio" <caj...@uniserve.com> wrote in message

JonnyDaWad

Jun 26, 2001, 12:48:47 PM6/26/01
>Subject: Re: 98 Dodge 318 with an annoying miss
>From: "Murf '99 FLSTC" ~11...@mediaone.net
>Date: 6/26/01 7:08 AM Central Daylight Time

>How do you get the software update. I have the same symptoms with my 98
>dodge ram 5.2. I have replaced the plug wires, but had a heck of a time
>getting to the dist cap and rotor and have not done that yet.. New plugs
>also.
>

>Steve

i brought them in the tsb's of dodgeram.org about the pinging, in there it says
something about software updating to help it. all the other times they never
did it, or should say they never put that sticker on the fuse panel under the
hood saying that they did it.
shawn

CLAY

Jun 27, 2001, 3:50:00 PM6/27/01
i had the same problem with my 98 quad cab also except i have a 5.9L when
put on the computor it showed OUT OF SINC they adjusted my timming and that
took care of my problem..it also missed when slowly accelarating or going up
hills i also changed my plugs and wires and that did not work
either...hopefully it is also just out of sinc...good luck Clay

Cecil Jmio <caj...@uniserve.com> wrote in message

JonnyDaWad

Jun 26, 2001, 12:48:47 PM6/26/01

========= WAS CANCELLED BY =======: