Engine oil, 6.2 L

Warren Post

Mar 29, 2004, 6:55:18 PM3/29/04
I have a 1983 Suburban (6.2 L diesel C series, automatic, 4x4) and it's
time to change the oil. The owner's manual says to use 30 weight oil for
this climate (never gets below 55 degrees and can go as high as 105
degrees). The mechanic, however, is balking at using anything less than 50
weight oil. He says that 30 weight was fine when the engine was new but
now that it's older it needs a higher viscosity oil. Does this guy know
what he's talking about or should I follow the manual's recommendations?

TIA,
Warren Post
Santa Rosa de Copán, Honduras
http://srcopan.vze.com/

Steve W.

Mar 29, 2004, 7:17:39 PM3/29/04
Find a new mechanic, and follow the book.

--
Steve

"Warren Post" <wp...@hondutel.hn> wrote in message

> Santa Rosa de Copan, Honduras
> http://srcopan.vze.com/

Big Al

Mar 29, 2004, 7:30:06 PM3/29/04
Amen. Use what the book says. I would use multigrade oil, whatever weight
the book says. Your 6.2 has a problem getting oil up to the rockers. Heavy
oil will make it worse.

Al

"Steve W." <m...@home.org> wrote in message

rock_doctor

Mar 29, 2004, 9:21:54 PM3/29/04

"Warren Post" <wp...@hondutel.hn> wrote in message
> I have a 1983 Suburban (6.2 L diesel C series, automatic, 4x4) and it's
> time to change the oil. The owner's manual says to use 30 weight oil for
> this climate (never gets below 55 degrees and can go as high as 105
> degrees). The mechanic, however, is balking at using anything less than 50
> weight oil. He says that 30 weight was fine when the engine was new but
> now that it's older it needs a higher viscosity oil. Does this guy know
> what he's talking about or should I follow the manual's recommendations?

!!!! I have an 83 van with a 6.2 and over 400k miles. I use 15W40 (normal
diesel oil) here in Pennsylvania. Go with the 30 wt diesel oil (or 15W40)
and you will be fine. So follow the owners manual unless you are having oil
pressure problems then you should get it fixed, not go with such a high
weight oil.

mark

Refinish King

Mar 29, 2004, 9:47:17 PM3/29/04
15/40 seems like the universal diesel oil?

The big rigs call for that grade too, every one that I've seen specifies
15/40 Rotella specifically also.

Just wondering?

Refinish King

"rock_doctor" <rock_...@hotmail.nospm.com> wrote in message

Big Al

Mar 30, 2004, 12:56:25 AM3/30/04

"Refinish King" <noneofyou...@neveryoumind.nospam.com> wrote in
message news:Ib5ac.73$Hs1...@fe03.usenetserver.com...

> 15/40 seems like the universal diesel oil?
>
> The big rigs call for that grade too, every one that I've seen specifies
> 15/40 Rotella specifically also.
>
> Just wondering?
>
> Refinish King

I believe the 6.2 manual says not to use HD Diesel oil. Check it out.

Al

shiden_Kai

Mar 30, 2004, 1:22:47 AM3/30/04

"Refinish King" wrote

> 15/40 seems like the universal diesel oil?

As far as I know, we've been using 15/40
in the 6.2/6.5/Duramax engines. Seems to
work fine.

Ian

Demon

Mar 30, 2004, 1:28:39 AM3/30/04
Gotta remember he's in Honduras, the climate is different. 15/40 is the
standard here but maybe not there.

"shiden_Kai" <violet-lighte...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

rock_doctor

Mar 30, 2004, 7:49:14 AM3/30/04

"Demon" <no...@forgetit.com> wrote in message

> Gotta remember he's in Honduras, the climate is different. 15/40 is the
> standard here but maybe not there.

Yea I noticed that but it is a good grade multi weight oil. So while he
does not really need the 15 side the 40 will work fine for him. Some people
swear you should use 20W50 in all gasoline engines. Imho it is too thick,
so he should stick with 30wt or go with a 15W40 if he can get it easily. I
use to run 30wt down in Florida with normal 90-100 deg temps worked fine and
was called for in the manual. I think the 15W40 is the universal oil for
diesels because they (the manufacturers) at one time chose to make that
diesel oil.... Diesel oils have the special additives for soot control and
so on; so inho it has become the universal oil because they just used that
weight. I know people who use 5W30 synthetic in their powerstrokes. Seems
like water to me (actually 5x thicker then water) but they swear by it...
To each his own... Go with the 30wt, if your oil pressure is less then 15
psi idling and 45 running down the road then upgrade to a thicker oil (GM
says the min is 10 psi for every 1000rpm, although seem low to me).

good luck,
mark

Warren Post

Mar 30, 2004, 10:52:13 AM3/30/04
The book emphasizes that 30 weight is to be preferred over 15W40 (the
manual's second choice) when temperatures never go below freezing, and
yet your comment about the rockers gives me pause. I'll go with 15W40
unless someone here convinces me otherwise.

Warren

Warren Post

Mar 30, 2004, 11:39:55 AM3/30/04
On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 06:49:14 -0600, rock_doctor wrote:

> ...so he should stick with 30wt or go with a 15W40 if he can get

> it easily. I use to run 30wt down in Florida with normal 90-100 deg

> temps worked fine and was called for in the manual.... Go

> with the 30wt, if your oil pressure is less then 15 psi idling and 45
> running down the road then upgrade to a thicker oil

Well, the book says to prefer 30 weight if temperatures never go below
freezing and to use 15W40 otherwise... and where I live, 55 degrees is
the coldest I've seen in 15 years. But Big Al mentioned that the 6.2 has
problems getting oil up to the rockers, which implies that I would be
better off with 15W40.

Both 30 weight and 15W40 are available locally, so that's not an issue.

Oil pressure averages 40 but varies a lot, which is one reason we're
taking a look inside the engine. The gaskets leak a lot of oil and two
cylinders produce blue smoke, so our guess is that the variable
oil pressure is a symptom of these problems.

This is a restoration job. It was abandoned for four years, so honestly
who knows what we might find once we start looking inside. It runs
(although with crappy mileage) so we're doing this a bit at a time as my
budget allows.

TIA,
Warren

Shades

Mar 30, 2004, 1:06:37 PM3/30/04
15W-40 Rotella!!! Hands down!!!

Demon

Mar 31, 2004, 2:02:06 AM3/31/04
You just answered your own question. Poor oiling to the rockers will only be
enphasised with a heavier w oil. 15w40 is a heavier oil than straight 30 at
operating temp.

"Warren Post" <wp...@hondutel.hn> wrote in message

Demon

Mar 31, 2004, 2:07:56 AM3/31/04

"rock_doctor" <rock_...@hotmail.nospm.com> wrote in message

I'm a heavy duty mechanic by trade here in Alberta. I know what you're
saying. and I'd go with the straight 30 for this application.

Big Al

Apr 1, 2004, 11:05:30 PM4/1/04

> You just answered your own question. Poor oiling to the rockers will only
be
> enphasised with a heavier w oil. 15w40 is a heavier oil than straight 30
at
> operating temp.

The oiling problem happens when you start the engine cold. For some reason
the oil takes a very long time to get to the rocker arms. Chevy may have
fixed this later on??? The first two years the 6.2 had rocker shafts and
what looks like cast iron rocker arms with a bronze bushing where it rides
on the shaft. From 84 on they have stamped steel rockers.

Al