2002 Chevy Trailblazer

Ron

Mar 28, 2001, 8:53:34 PM3/28/01
Have any of you guys had the opportunity to test drive a 2002 Chevy
Trailblazer? They had one at the local dealership here last Friday, and
Saturday morning it was sold when I went back out there to test drive
it. The thing looked great! I was just wondering if anyone on this NG
could offer any opinions regarding this particular vehicle. Power,
handling, etc.

Thanks in advance.
--
Ron
e-mail: x...@nr.infi.net

Hey Paizan

Mar 29, 2001, 12:47:16 AM3/29/01
what is the difference between a blazer and a trailblazer? just curious

Big Chris

Mar 29, 2001, 1:48:31 AM3/29/01
Blazer is being phased out. Trailblazer is bigger. Trailblazer has an
inline 6.

Big Chris

"Hey Paizan" <heyp...@aol.com> wrote in message

Joe Baltimore

Mar 29, 2001, 9:28:39 AM3/29/01
I saw one when I was fueling up, and asked the owner about it. He didn't
seem the most knowledgeable about his TrailBlazer, but he commented that he
was only getting 12mpg out of it. I thought that was strange since I get
about 13.5 every time from my 6.0L K2500 automatic Silverado in mixed
driving.

"Ron" <x...@nr.infi.netnospam> wrote in message

Hey Paizan

Mar 29, 2001, 7:30:49 PM3/29/01
>Blazer is being phased out. Trailblazer is bigger. Trailblazer has an
>inline 6.

Hmm, it didnt look that much bigger. Why an inline 6, isnt that a step
backwards?

Ron

Mar 29, 2001, 8:44:24 PM3/29/01
Supposedly, one of the advantages of the Vortec in-line 6 is better fuel
economy. However, it sounds as though this may not be true according to
the guy that you spoke with. The new Trailblazer does look really sharp,
but 12 mpg is a major turnoff for me! The additional horsepower does
seem appealing though--along with the wider wheelbase and overall size
increase.

Ron

greg

Mar 29, 2001, 8:53:56 PM3/29/01
the new GM inline six makes 278 hp outta somthing like 4.2 liters. inline
sixes are punchy, oughta be cool.....

greg

Mike

Mar 29, 2001, 9:44:55 PM3/29/01
Saw one on a delaer's lot, sticker read 15/21. It's a sharp looking truck
but expensive. Sticker was 30,000+ and it wasn't even fully loaded...

Ron wrote:

Reach me by ICQ. My ICQ# is 8023912 or,
* Page me online through my Personal Communication Center:
http://wwp.icq.com/8023912 (go there and try it!) or,
* Send me E-mail Express directly to my computer screen
802...@pager.icq.com
* You may visit my Personal ICQ Homepage: http://members.icq.com/8023912
Download ICQ at http://www.icq.com/download/
For adding similar signatures to your e-mail go to:
http://www.icq.com/email/emailsig.html

j_shoe

Mar 30, 2001, 8:46:33 AM3/30/01
In line 6 runs smoother than V-6. A V-6 always has two cylinders
firing one after the other on the same side. Causes a lot of balance
problems. Straight 6 is longer, so won't fit in most new cars.
That's why they went to V-6.

I'm thinking about trading my '99 Explorer for a new Trailblazer, so
will be checking this group for comments.

jed

Mar 30, 2001, 10:37:48 AM3/30/01
You wonder when you hear 12 mpg, if these guys are using a calculator to
figure out mileage, or just their toes and they ran out of appendages to
figure out the math!

jed

73blazer

Mar 31, 2001, 2:58:32 PM3/31/01
It looks like a minivan. I know it's full framed, but can't bring myself to
like it.
I'm really dissappointed in most all new trucks, the good ones (HD's) cost
WAY too much, the downsize ones now look like little jap minivans, and the
1/2 ton trucks fall apart in 2 two years. Very dissappointing if you ask
me....
The inline six sounds pretty cool though (Nice and torqey!)

BlazerMan ('73 Blazer that is!)

Paul Johnson

Mar 31, 2001, 11:20:23 PM3/31/01
I have driven two different GMC Envoys (name badge brother to the Trail
Blazer). They are beautiful and extremely well-equipped (SLT model I saw
yesterday was a little over $37,000). The in-line six is pretty
sophisticated- dohc w/variable valve timing. It claims 270 hp, but they
didn't feel that strong to me, nor is it as quiet as I expected, but it does
wind like crazy and it is noticeably smoother than a V-6. Ride is
excellent. We had just tried a Grand Cherokee and found its ride very
disappointing (choppy and harsh). Car Life compared the three (Trail
Blazer, Envoy and Bravada which all use the same drive train). They liked
the new Explorer/Mountaineer better though they did like the engine. They
goy 14 mpg in their test.
Paul

Joe Baltimore

Mar 31, 2001, 11:52:00 PM3/31/01
All this talk has me intrigued. If I'm only going to get 14MPG from this
vehicle, what can I tow? How strong is it?

"Paul Johnson" <john...@intrepid.net> wrote in message

Mike

Apr 1, 2001, 10:44:40 AM4/1/01
IIRC, tow rating is in the 6700 LB range. I could be wrong...

Joe Baltimore wrote:

j_shoe

Apr 2, 2001, 9:00:41 AM4/2/01
According to the brochure, maximum trailer weight is a minimum of 5200
pounds (4x4 with 3.42 axle) and a maximum of 6200 pounds (4x4 with 4.1
axle). 2WD is slightly different, but not much.

Doc

Apr 5, 2001, 2:36:58 PM4/5/01
I've sat in them, read about them and will probably buy
one, but not without test driving (which I have not done)...
here is one of many positive reviews... seemed pretty balanced.

http://www.autoweb.com/reviews/proreview.htm?id=2829&year=2002&make=CH&model=All%20New%20TrailBlazer&uMID=17

Make sure to get the WHOLE url in the browser...

--
Rich 'Doc' Colley

mailto:pc-...@mediaone.net

jm

Apr 5, 2001, 11:52:41 PM4/5/01
| I've sat in them, read about them and will probably buy
| one, but not without test driving (which I have not done)...
| here is one of many positive reviews... seemed pretty balanced.

http://www.autoweb.com/reviews/proreview.htm?id=2829&year=2002&make=CH&model
=All%20New%20TrailBlazer&uMID=17

Rich:
I'm with you, ready to buy one. I took a short drive on Tuesday and really
liked it. However, there could be a major problem brewing with the
Trailblazers... I went back to the dealer today to take a longer test drive.
The vehicle was parked hidden on their back lot. It had a sign in the window
that said "Do Not Sell". Thinking it was already sold to a customer, I
contacted one of the sales people and told him I was there to take it for
another test drive. He told me "Can't do it". Surprised, I asked him why. He
said they got word from the factory to hold all sales and there was to be
absolutely no test drives as well. He mentioned that there may be a
"problem" but could not/would not elaborate. I tried hard to have them let
me test drive, but they were very firm. I'll keep everyone posted.....

JS

P.S. Here's a post I made on the Explorer NG:

I currently own a 2001 Explorer Sport, and was very much ready to purchase
the '02 Explorer. After months of research I Have now changed my mind and
will go for the Trailblazer. Here is my .02 worth:

Explorer Advantages:

** Independant Rear Suspension (although impressive, it is negated by the
very poor and cheap seat design. Why put all that effort into a brilliant
design to make the ride smooth and then put in cheap seats so the passengers
ride uncomfortably???)
** Rear window nice and tall for loading, low loading floor height (again,
negated by problems with rear window shattering when closed shut)
** 3rd row seat (maybe an advantage for some folks, but pretty much useless.
With this option installed seats do not fold flat, an unbelievable example
of moronic "engineering". Also with this option no cargo shade is
available!!)
** Telescoping wheel and adjustable pedals (only in EB and LTD, but
constantly delayed and still not being put into vehicles)
** Keypad entry system (very nice of course but some idiot at Ford decided
to move them from the logical horizontal position on the door to a vertical
position on the upper frame of the door!! Why???)
** Shift lever where it should be on Automatics, on the steering column.
(Trailblazer has the console mounted shifter which takes up valuable and
very usable storage space for the driver)

Trailblazer advantages:

** More powerful engine (even compared to Explorers still-not-available V8)
** Gas filler on logical (drivers) side of vehicle (!!!)
** Electric seat controls easily reachable (Explorer controls way too low
and hard to get to)
** Nicer and richer styling and features inside and out (Explorer cut a lot
of corners here and it shows)
** Much more comfortable seating with more adjustment control (Ford seats
are stiff, uncomfortable and too high even in the top of the line models
with leather)
** Nicer and better designed headrests
** Homelink option included now (who knows when Ford will start adding this
to the Explorer, keeps getting delayed)
** Recordable messages center
** Compass and temp controls on rear mirror or on AC display (Explorer moved
these to a tiny place on the dash where only the driver can see them, and
made them very small)
** Message LED display information runs nicely across bottom of instrument
panel (Explorer is squished into about a 1" wide line)
** Better reliability (Ford seems plagued with problems and recalls and
really rushed the Explorer to market too soon, Cheap! Cheap! Cheap!)
** Easier to use electronic AC controls (nice round easy-to-use knobs vs
Explorers push buttons)
** Many more features included as standard (side air bags for example)
** Audiophile stereo system available in all models (on Explorer you must
order Eddie Bauer or LTD to get their Mach system)
** Nicer and larger storage compartment under rear cargo floor (Explorers is
too small, and on models w/o 3rd seat it is split into two small almost
useless compartments)
** Has Key Fob (Explorer took this away and has cheap ignition switch)
** Has standard easy-to-use and operate tilt steering lever (Explorer went
to that god-awful idiotic Honda style 2-step lever)
** Normal passenger assist handles (Exlorer stuck an oversize, protruding
and ugly handle to the pillar)
** On-Star system (and standard as well!)

Doc

Apr 6, 2001, 11:31:16 AM4/6/01
I have a few friends in the business. I'll ask
one of them... Joe.. tried to email direct...
no go?
The SUV is defin. a winner in its current configuration.
Hopefully no one will mess that up in later
iterations.

J. Godfrey

Apr 14, 2001, 5:29:33 PM4/14/01
Its the steering, probably the gear box, that is being recalled. As
far as the current configuration of the truck, I can imagine a better
configuration that does not involve coil springs on all wheels and an
antique engine layout.

jeffg...@hotmail.com

Big Daddy

Apr 15, 2001, 7:44:18 AM4/15/01
On Sat, 14 Apr 2001 21:29:33 GMT, J. Godfrey <jeffg...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Its the steering, probably the gear box, that is being recalled. As
>far as the current configuration of the truck, I can imagine a better
>configuration that does not involve coil springs on all wheels and an
>antique engine layout.

Where did your information come from? I work at a dealer, and as of
Friday afternoon, we'd had no notification of the exact part that has
been recalled. Only that notification was pending availability of
parts.
If you think the I-6 is an antique design, you should look at the
engine again. Dual overhead cams, with variable valve timing and
roller followers, coil-on-plug ignition, and electronic throttle
control(fly-by-wire) is all pretty cutting-edge stuff. Just because
it's an inline doesn't mean anything. An inline is much smoother that
a V configuration, and Jeep has been using it for years with great
success. My wife's Cherokee will fly, and nothing's been done
performance-wise to it.

Big Daddy
ICQ#6342575 AOLinst messenger "WallyC1951"
ASE Master Auto Technician
Chevrolet Certified Master Tech. Y2K