1998 Silverado noisy blower motor

Max & Ann Magliaro

Nov 7, 2002, 2:06:27 AM11/7/02
I have a 1998 Silverado K1500 ext cab.
About a month ago, the blower motor started to get slightly
noisier than usual, especially on "low". Now, it almost always
makes a VERY annoying low ticking noise when it's in
low. If I run it fast for a second and put it back on low,
the noise will go a away for a short time, bit come right back.

Sounds like bearing or brush noise. I don't think it's the fan
whacking against anything.

I've found one other mention of this when I did a web search.

Anybody else had this problem?

I'm thinking of removing the blower motor - it looks like
I should be able to take the ductwork apart under the passenger side
dash
and get it out pretty easily. Am I nuts? Is it not as easy as it
looks?
Am I going to end up tearing half the truck apart (glove box, dash,
etc)?

Once I get it out, I was going to try oiling the shaft bearings and put
it back in. Am I wasting my time? Do I have to just replace the
&*$(*&# motor?

Thanks,
Max

PyroDave

Nov 7, 2002, 11:27:40 AM11/7/02

Replace it. Sounds like the bearings are shot or at the least, going
south.
It's a challenge getting in there. Real tight quarters. I ended up
trashing the shroud around the motor but when I installed the new one,
it ended up inside the dash so much I can't see it. It cost about 45
bucks from Parts Plus.

(dave) modulator

Nov 7, 2002, 4:24:51 PM11/7/02
WOW.
I have the EXACT same problem.. It starts and stops the same ways you
described.. Sounds like something is maybe off center or in need of grease
in mine though.. I'm thinking replacing the fan would work for sure.. I
haven't really even opened it up yet to have a look, but I will soon

--Dave
"Max & Ann Magliaro" <magl...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Max Magliaro

Nov 19, 2002, 2:23:53 PM11/19/02
Here's a follow-up.

I scoured around the parts stores near here, and
couldn't find anybody who stocked a replacement blower motor
for this truck. I could order one for $70, and wait 4-5 days, or just
pay the big money at the local GM dealer, and grab it.
I opted to pay the money (about $100).

The motor comes with the drum fan blade already installed on it.
You have to lay down under the dash, unhook the rubber
shroud from a plastic hook on its bottom, and then man-handle
it to get it out of the way of the motor.

This latter part is darn near impossible without destroying the shroud.
I opted to just surgically cut the shroud away with a utility knife.
That way I could make a clean cut and remove it in one piece,
leaving the top half in place. Also, you want to unplug the 2 wires
going to the motor before you do this.

Next, you'll need a small nutdriver. A small (1/4") socket drive
with nut driver attachments is even better. The motor unbolts
with 5 small hex-head screws. These are a pain to get
to, so be patient. Then the motor pulls right out.
The new one drops right in (seeing as how I bought an original GM
replacement ;-) ).

There was nothing "stuck" in there. No leaves, insulation, or other
offending material. The motor bearings were just getting noisy, plain
and simple.

I shoved the shroud piece back up into place, and held it basically with
1 sheet-metal screw and duct tape (makeshift-style!). Don't sweat it.
None of this will show at all if you are careful.

Hook up the wires.
Voila! No more noises. The fan runs as quiet as can be.

I hate to spend a hundred bucks on a repair like this, but the
ease of repair and drop in my irritation level are well worth it!

--- Max

AK Steele

Nov 20, 2002, 1:29:36 AM11/20/02
My 99 does the exact same thing. It's still under warranty, do you think it
would be covered?

"Max Magliaro" <mmag...@bnisolutions.com> wrote in message

CSchroe240

Nov 22, 2002, 4:17:08 PM11/22/02
My 2001 Sierra had a new fan motor replaced under warranty. It was intermittent
at first and of course the dealer could not find a problem. It gradually became
so annoying I had to get it fixed and it finally cooperated and acted up when I
took it back in. Now I don.t have to have the radio quite so loud.

Kurt

Max Magliaro

Nov 26, 2002, 5:54:40 PM11/26/02
I doubt it would be covered on a 3-year-old truck, since it's not a
major
drivetrain part. But I would certainly ask if I were you, since the
motor alone
costs $70 - $100, even if you replace it yourself... especially if your
truck
is still under warranty. I bought mine used as a GM Certified vehicle,
so I was only entitled to a 3-month warranty.

So far, although this truck runs really nice, there have been a handful
of
these very annoying things wrong with it, which already makes me
trust it less than I trusted my previous 1989 Chevy K1500. I've had:

- a weird skinned wire under the drivers seat that kept blowing the fuse
that
controlled the lumbar support, electric door locks, and cigar lighter
- very annoying rattle in the center console between the front seats,
which I
solved by removing the entire console top, and lining the whole thing
with
a thin sheet of felt (why don't they do things like this at the factory-
... any idiot
can see that two large plastic pieces, just snapped together as the
console,
are DOOMED to rattle!)
- the dreaded wipers that work, then won't work, then work... which I
seem to
have fixed by removing the wiper motor cover and reseating the connector
and circuit board... it's been months since it's acted up, so I don't
think I have
the faulty solder-joint thing... but if I do, at least I know how to fix
that one)
- this noisy blower fan
- and now, finally, I think I'm starting to hear a bit of "ticking"
noise coming from the
speedometer when I first take the truck out in the morning, between 20
and 40 mph...
I assume these are all electronic (I don't think they've used a
mechanical speedo
cable from the tranny in years!), so the noise has to be coming right
from the
speedo itself

--
Max Magliaro
Broadband Networks, Inc

----------------

This communication may contain information that is legally privileged,
confidential or exempt from disclosure.
If you are not the intended recipient, please note that any
dissemination,
Anyone who receives this message in error should notify the sender
immediately by telephone or by return e-mail and delete it from his or
her
computer. Opinions, conclusions and other information expressed in this
message are not given or endorsed by Numerex Corp. or its affiliates,
its
officers, directors, agents, employees or representatives, including
financial and legal advisers, unless otherwise indicated by an
authorized
representative independent of this message.

Master Deluxe

Dec 1, 2002, 11:11:21 AM12/1/02
If you expose the end of the blower motor you can put light oil on the
bearing. This cured the noise for me.