Polaris Scrambler 500 4X4 Problem...

Doug

Jun 17, 2002, 4:06:11 PM6/17/02
I have a 2001 Polaris Scrambler 500HO 4X4 and I have just started to have a
problem with the 4X4 system. The bike runs and just fine until I put it in
4 wheel drive in certain situations. When I am in a tight spot and need to
put it in 4 wheel drive and back out and or turn tight with the 4 wheel
drive engaged it seems to bind up the steering. It's kind of like crabbing
if you have ever been in a light airplane. Your steering in one direction
but not going that way. Once you take it out of 4 wheel drive and go
straight and hit the gas and shake the handle bars back and forth from left
to right it seems to go back and handles just fine. It stays that way until
you go back into 4 wheel drive in a tight place. I do not think this is
normal because it has never happened before. I ride the hell out of this
machine but also maintain it too just kind of stumped on this one. Any
advice, information or help in dealing with this problem would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks,
Doug
Fort Worth, TX

Don Merrell

Jun 17, 2002, 5:22:54 PM6/17/02
I have a 99 scrambler that did the same thing. I drained the front hubs and
cleaned them out then refilled and drained again with Mobil 1 synthetic ATF.
Fixed mine...........

"Doug" <blue...@cowtown.net> wrote in message

Rob Bernhardt

Jun 19, 2002, 7:40:52 PM6/19/02
Don has some great advice. It seems that's the biggest problem, people
don't check or worse never change the front hub oil. Many people don't like
to use the Polaris front hub oil, because it's to thin. Now it does work
great, but because it's thinner it will not last as long or I think it will
seep out the front hub oil seal over time if you do lots of mud hole riding.
I would also recommend using Mobil 1 75w-90 gear oil, I have been using
this in the front hubs and front gear box of my 99 Sportsman 500 with never
a hint of a problem. Check and change it often if you ride in mud holes.

Doug

Jun 20, 2002, 10:42:08 AM6/20/02
Excellent advice...I will pick up some today and mess with it this weekend.
Thanks to both of you. Oh yea...Besides buying the over-priced Polaris
synthetic 0-40 oil, have you used anything else that works just as good but
cost less. I was looking at changing to Amsoil oil specifically designed
for 4 wheelers. Any ideas???

Doug

"Rob Bernhardt" <rdbd...@blomand.net> wrote in message

250R_rider

Jun 20, 2002, 12:53:54 PM6/20/02
save your money... spAM-Soil is not what it's cracked up to be...

"Doug" <blue...@cowtown.net> wrote in message

Doug

Jun 20, 2002, 5:08:21 PM6/20/02
If it's so bad why and what are the alternatives, if any, to the Polaris
0-40 synthetic?

Doug

"250R_rider" <R_U_A...@ss.com> wrote in message

Rob Bernhardt

Jun 20, 2002, 9:55:30 PM6/20/02
Hey Doug,

I looked for a better oil myself to put in my Sportsman, but it's like
are Polaris Atv's only take two quarts to change out and are dealer sells
the four quart Polaris oil for $21.99. Anyhow, a good synthetic 0w-40 or
10w-40 replacement oil will cost around five or so dollars anyway, and plus
the Polaris oil is made for are Polaris atv's and have heard is very good
oil, so I figured I'm just not going to save that much. Plus the dealer will
like you more if he keeps seeing you come into his shop to buy things.

"Doug" <blue...@cowtown.net> wrote in message

250R_rider

Jun 21, 2002, 10:30:29 AM6/21/02
I would rather buy the oil that is made specifically for my quad, than some
other off the shelf brand for a car.... I spend more for an oil change in
my two quads, than I do for my truck all year... Truck=3 oil changes/year 2
ATVs=1 gets changed every 20hrs/ 1 gets changed every other ride, so maybe 6
times a year....total=9times...

I use the Polaris oil in the sportsman, and Motul in the 2Stroke... the
Motul is almost as expensive, $5/quart, and I use a quart every time....
well almost...

Doug

Jun 21, 2002, 5:13:31 PM6/21/02
Okay...I'll do my best not to be a cheap skate when it comes to the
oil...I'll get the good stuff from Polaris. Oh yea, where is the fill port
for the front differential. Going to change the oil up there but can only
find a vent tube running all the way up to front left shock. Hmmmm....Maybe
I need to purchase a service manual....but then again I don't know if I'm
going to keep it much longer. Thanks.

Doug
Fort Worth, TX

"250R_rider" <R_U_A...@ss.com> wrote in message

Doug

Jun 25, 2002, 10:46:43 AM6/25/02
Never-mind, I found it. I will ride this or next weekend and see if it
fixes the problem.

Doug

"Doug" <blue...@cowtown.net> wrote in message

Gold Wire

Jun 26, 2002, 12:00:08 AM6/26/02
Doug wrote:

Doug, this is perfectly normal for any "part time" 4Wd system, which you
have if you "shift" it into 4WD, exception would be a full time with a
center differential lock, but even then, center diff locked IS a part
time 4WD, when its locked, its a full time unlocked. This feeling your
getting actually has a technical term, its called "tight corner braking"
it is normal, the surfaces need to be slippery and even then, in real
tight turns, it will still "crab" as you mentioned, which is the common
term (slang) used to describe this. So go enjoy the Polaris, sounds like
she is just fine. ;-)

--
GW

Doug

Jun 26, 2002, 3:30:11 PM6/26/02
Thanks GW...I will keep that in mind. I also went ahead and changed my
front differential fluid just to make sure everything up there was nice and
lubed up.

Doug
Fort Worth, TX

"Gold Wire" <no_...@home.net> wrote in message

Gold Wire

Jun 26, 2002, 8:51:51 PM6/26/02
Doug wrote:

> Thanks GW...I will keep that in mind. I also went ahead and changed my
> front differential fluid just to make sure everything up there was nice and
> lubed up.
>
> Doug
> Fort Worth, TX

Doug, on another note, if you have a locking type of front differential,
which many utility quads do, it will also make this "crabbing" worse
too, though, still normal. Take care:

GW

Doug

Jun 27, 2002, 11:31:39 AM6/27/02
GW...
Don't think it's locking...You just flip a button on the right
handle-bar and a solenoid engages the front drive unit. The owners manual
says if it wont come out of 4WD or one drive line sticks then to put the
unit in reverse and go backwards for a while then go forward and see if the
drive line disengages. If it doesn't then take it to the dealer. I've only
rode it around the yard (3 acres and no challenge) so I really cant tell if
I still have the problem.

Doug

"Gold Wire" <no_...@home.net> wrote in message

Gold Wire

Jun 28, 2002, 12:02:32 AM6/28/02
Doug wrote:

> GW...
> Don't think it's locking...You just flip a button on the right
> handle-bar and a solenoid engages the front drive unit. The owners manual
> says if it wont come out of 4WD or one drive line sticks then to put the
> unit in reverse and go backwards for a while then go forward and see if the
> drive line disengages. If it doesn't then take it to the dealer. I've only
> rode it around the yard (3 acres and no challenge) so I really cant tell if
> I still have the problem.
>
> Doug

Doug, that switch is to go from 2Wd to 4WD, but in addition, the front
differential is probably a locking type, the rear is usually "spooled"
or sometimes called a "live axle" and this also contributes to the
"crabbing", the front can do the same, but it will allow some slippage
from left front wheel to right front wheel, otherwise, steering can
would be real tough, while the rear wont allow for any differentiation
at all.
I have a 2002 Suzuki Eiger 4WD, it has a shift lever on the handlebars
for 2 to 4WD and it also has a locking front differential, turning is
pretty good, but on hard dry surfaces, its tough, worse in 4WD, but an
advantage of being able to shift into 4WD and out is you can snap the
throttle and slide through turns in 2WD allowing for a tighter and
quicker turn than an "all wheel drive"

--

GW

Doug

Jun 28, 2002, 3:50:04 PM6/28/02
GW
That's true...I stay in 2WD until I really think I'm going to get
stuck...Plus, I have a 2k wench on the front of it so not really worried
about getting stuck. I am going to take it up to this place called
Muenster, TX...[right on the Red River between the boarder of Oklahoma &
Texas] and ride the thing and try to simulate what happened and try to see
if it is a little better. This time I will know what to expect. Like I
said long ago. I have owned this thing for almost 2 years and NEVER had
this feeling like this from this quad in 4WD. I'll let you know the
results. Thanks again.

Doug
Fort Worth, TX

"Gold Wire" <no_...@home.net> wrote in message

Rob Bernhardt

Jun 29, 2002, 3:54:18 AM6/29/02
Doug,

I would thing your Scrambler 4x4 system is going to be the same as my
Sportsman 500. It has a AWD button, this button is either on or off. If off
the Scrambler remains only in two wheel drive. When the AWD button is on
then it goes into the "ON DEMAND" four wheel drive system, your Scrambler is
going to be in two wheel drive until the atv needs all four wheels locked
in. This happens faster than a blink of an eye. It will automatically lock
in the two front wheels when ever the front wheels rotate one fifth the
speed slower than the rear wheels. Or when ever your rear wheels lose any
gripe. Again this happens faster than the blink of an eye and you will never
feel it happen or hear a thing and plus it will go back into two wheel drive
in the same speed when your rear wheels regain traction. This has the huge
advantage of always keeping your front steering light, not like the other
makes that still use the old obsolete limited slip and must add a locker to
make up for the limited slip not locking all for wheels in. The main thing
to remember is not to flip your AWD button on if for example if your stuck
in a mud hole with the rear wheels spinning. If you flip the switch when the
rear wheels spinning it will lock all four wheels in and you could do damage
to you or your atv( the sudden gain of traction could throw you off.) Best
of luck <blue...@cowtown.net> wrote in message

Gun Slinger

Jul 27, 2002, 5:49:45 PM7/27/02
It worked...no more crabbin' after I try to take it out of 4WD.

GS

Ron A Wilson

Aug 12, 2002, 8:43:05 PM8/12/02
I had a 96 425 Magnum. The wires that went to the hub to engage the throw
out were damaged.

bradbe...@gmail.com

May 22, 2014, 12:22:49 PM5/22/14
I thought u put 90w gear oil in them

scranda...@gmail.com

Jan 10, 2015, 4:29:59 PM1/10/15
I got a 2002 500ho scrambler with 2x4 and awd it's the 4 stroke both front axles are a1 but when I put it in 4x4 the awd light shows up but it doesn't spin or pull at all in the front and I've checked everything

jerry...@live.com

Feb 7, 2015, 3:43:12 AM2/7/15
Hey guys maybe use can help me I been having an issue with the 4x4 on my scrambler.sometimes when I go to turn on the 4x4 the switch doesnt light up an my 4x4 wont work an other times it works fine

peas...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2016, 5:12:44 PM3/3/16
That sounds like the common "ground" issue to me

carlosf...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 3:38:49 PM11/23/16
I have a 2000 Polaris scrambler 500 4*4 and when I got it it was driving fine but now the rear does not move just the rear sprocket just spins on the rear axle

carlosf...@gmail.com

Nov 23, 2016, 3:45:33 PM11/23/16
Can I weld the rear end to the sprocket