Republican quits. [URL]

a322x1n

Jul 4, 2019, 6:51:20 AM7/4/19
<https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-indep
endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>

<http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>

One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.

Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 7:26:16 AM7/4/19
What are his reasons?
Does the thought of pelosi make him puke?

default

Jul 4, 2019, 10:31:54 AM7/4/19
On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:51:18 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:

Seems to me that with each new "campaign finance reform" the party
line counts for more than the electorate's wishes. The Republicans
have typically represented the "greed is good crowd" (corporate
oligarchy) and have no problem cutting taxes for the wealthy and
doling out "incentives" to the corporate interests.

The economy responds so slowly, that the mistakes or discretion of the
party making the decisions won't manifest themselves until a new
administration is installed. So we might have democrats worrying
about the national debt and doing things to reduce it, so republicans
can come along and trash their efforts under the guise of less
government, less regulations, lower taxes -for the wealthy, of course.

Had the regulations installed after the "great depression" remained in
place, the last recession/depression might have been avoided. (Reagan,
Clinton, and Bush all had a hand in that debacle - because they
listened to the sages on Wall Street)

Kenny McCormack

Jul 4, 2019, 10:42:35 AM7/4/19
In article <XnsAA823B8FA275Bti...@69.16.179.50>,
He was about to get primaried for speaking against the Cheeto.

--
Reading any post by Fred Hodgin, you're always faced with the choice of:
lunatic, moron, or troll.

I always try to be generous and give benefit of the doubt, by assuming troll.

default

Jul 4, 2019, 12:15:05 PM7/4/19
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 14:42:33 -0000 (UTC), gaz...@shell.xmission.com
(Kenny McCormack) wrote:

>In article <XnsAA823B8FA275Bti...@69.16.179.50>,
>a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>><https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-indep
>>endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>
>>
>><http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
>>
>>One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
>>starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.
>
>He was about to get primaried for speaking against the Cheeto.

Too true. A politician (scurrilous idiot) develops balls, or is
shamed into admitting the truth by his high school daughter, says a
thing the party doesn't approve. Questioned, he responds in kind
(more worried about what the daughter might say) and the party
abandons him. He spins it as "having enough" and whether he wants it
or not does the right thing.

Hellava way to run a country. Greed, ambition, job security, often
Trump (pun intended) morality, ethics and reason.

There's something totally evil and absolutely wrong about the phrase
"career politician."

Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 12:40:33 PM7/4/19
(Kenny McCormack) wrote:

>In article <XnsAA823B8FA275Bti...@69.16.179.50>,
>a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>><https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-indep
>>endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>
>>
>><http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
>>
>>One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
>>starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.
>
>He was about to get primaried for speaking against the Cheeto.

I just wish McCain would have left before his run.
He never was a Republican.

Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 12:41:35 PM7/4/19
On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 12:15:02 -0400, default <def...@defaulter.net>
wrote:
That is why Ohio has term limits.

Catherine L. Cranche

Jul 4, 2019, 12:55:33 PM7/4/19
He was very much a Republican. He embodied most of the worst of the
Republican party.

a322x1n

Jul 4, 2019, 4:16:26 PM7/4/19
default <def...@defaulter.net> wrote in
Very good points! A lot of the damage Trump is doing won't show up
until the next President, at which point the Republicans will blame
the Democrat.

a322x1n

Jul 4, 2019, 4:20:34 PM7/4/19
Patrick <PBARK...@woh.rr.com> wrote in
Which was the best thing about McCain. Senator McCain saved thousands
of lives with his last vote. The Republicans need many more McCains!

michellemalkingmail.com

Jul 4, 2019, 4:26:39 PM7/4/19
He's a Libertarian. The way the Republicans are acting obviously makes
him puke, since he is now an Independent. He hasn't said which party
he'll caucus with yet.

Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 4:49:56 PM7/4/19
Most Republicans hated him.
He was a RINO.

Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 4:54:35 PM7/4/19
Maybe that will make up for the dozens of US Navy lives he killed when
he shot off that missile on the Forrestal. He was a hot dog, and a
traitor when he was captured after he disobeyed orders. Fuck him. His
faithful wife waited for him and he dumped her for a better model when
he came home. And his daughter is a waste. The only reason they
allowed her on TV is because she hates Trump....

Catherine L. Cranche

Jul 4, 2019, 6:01:06 PM7/4/19
False.

> He was a RINO.

No, he wasn't. The people who use the made-up word "RINO" are the real
RINOs. You're really Nazis, but you're embarrassed by the word, so you
masquerade as Republicans. Every Nazi who runs for office in the USA does
so as a nominal Republican. That's a fact.

Catherine L. Cranche

Jul 4, 2019, 6:01:47 PM7/4/19
On 7/4/2019 1:54 PM, Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 20:20:32 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>
>> Patrick <PBARK...@woh.rr.com> wrote in

>>> I just wish McCain would have left before his run.
>>> He never was a Republican.
>>
>> Which was the best thing about McCain. Senator McCain saved thousands
>> of lives with his last vote. The Republicans need many more McCains!
>
> Maybe that will make up for the dozens of US Navy lives he killed when
> he shot off that missile on the Forrestal.

That never happened. That's a bullshit myth.

Kevrob

Jul 4, 2019, 6:43:34 PM7/4/19
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RINO#Origins

When I was a kid they were "Rockefeller Republicans," as
opposed to Taftites/Goldwaterites/Reaganites.

Re: Amash.

https://reason.com/2019/07/04/justin-amash-declares-independence-from-republican-party/

I'd hope he'd give up running for re-election to the House and
vie for the Libertarian Presidential nomination. He's "anti-
abortion"/"pro-life," though, which puts him at odds with about
2/3rds of the party rank-and-file. Some might tag him a LINO!

Others thought he should have pulled a Pete McCloskey and entered
the GOP primary for Prez.

https://theweek.com/articles/842761/justin-amash-going-run-president-should-republican

_Some_ principled Republican should run against Trump, if such a
unicorn can be found. I'm not holding my breath.

Kevin R

Patrick

Jul 4, 2019, 8:01:06 PM7/4/19
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 15:01:03 -0700, "Catherine L. Cranche"
Yeah, and yer mama wears combat boots.

McCain is the jerk-off who handed the fake dossier over.
McCain is the one who wanted to replace Obamacare.... but when the
vote came up, he was the one who killed that legislation.
McCain was pissed because Trump did not praise him as a hero.
McCain killed many US Navy personnel on the USS Forestal.
He was a traitor when he was captured.
He dumped his wife when he came back for a richer, better looking
babe.

Kevrob

Jul 4, 2019, 8:13:28 PM7/4/19
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 8:01:06 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:

> He dumped his wife ...

Isn't trading in your wife for a younger model standard
Trump behavior?

Kevin R - neither a J McC nor a DJT supporter
a.a #2310

a322x1n

Jul 4, 2019, 8:30:22 PM7/4/19
"Catherine L. Cranche" <we.be....@jeanerette.la> wrote in
Lies, disinformation and propaganda are the weapons of choice for
conservatives and religious freaks.

Catherine L. Cranche

Jul 4, 2019, 8:51:48 PM7/4/19
> McCain is the jerk-off who handed the fake dossier over.

There was no "fake dossier." You're bullshitting.

I would not have liked a President McCain, but he was a legitimate - and
typical - Republican for his era. And he didn't start any disaster on the
Forrestal. That's just bullshit proto-Nazi right-wingnut myth.

Matt Singer

Jul 4, 2019, 8:53:33 PM7/4/19
[followups vandalism by pro-abortion murderer cunt repaired]
And also for pro-abortion murderers like you.

Patrick

Jul 5, 2019, 6:39:55 AM7/5/19
On Thu, 4 Jul 2019 17:51:46 -0700, "Catherine L. Cranche"
You shoulda been there.
His daddy covered it up.
If he had been a "typical" republican, he would have gotten their
votes. Many of us stayed at home on election day.

duckg...@cox.net

Jul 5, 2019, 8:54:33 AM7/5/19
><http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
>
>One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
>starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.

I would say "zero".

the dukester

Rudy Canoza

Jul 5, 2019, 10:18:00 AM7/5/19
It has been thoroughly investigated and documented. He didn't start the
fire. You subscribe to bullshit myth and conspiracy theory, as Nazi RINOs
typically do.

Patrick

Jul 5, 2019, 3:24:04 PM7/5/19
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 07:17:57 -0700, Rudy Canoza <c...@philhendrie.con>
wrote:
Lil Johnny McCain's poppa was the top naval officer in the Pacific
Fleet and he wielded his power and influence to stop any inquiry after
his boy was implicated. My brother-in-law was on that aircraft
carrier and was present when mccain fired off that missile from his
airplane during his pre-flight sequence. I am willing to drop it, but
I refuse to allow him to continue being called a hero.
McCain was a hot dog pilot who wanted fame and glory and because of
his own stupidity, he was shot down over Viet Nam. Then he accepted
favors from the N Vietnamese when they found out who his papa was.
Gee, I wonder how they found out....Did johnny whine loud and demand
privilege? And then he signed a document saying he was sorry for
killing their people.

Catherine L. Cranche

Jul 5, 2019, 3:30:14 PM7/5/19
On 7/5/2019 12:24 PM, Patrick wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 07:17:57 -0700, "Catherine L. Cranche"
No, that's bullshit.

https://www.truthdig.com/articles/investigating-john-mccains-tragedy-at-sea/
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/john-mccain-fire-uss-forrestal/

What your drunken far-right-wingnut fucking brother-in-law told you is
bullshit.

Cloud Hobbit

Jul 5, 2019, 4:14:48 PM7/5/19
From Wikipedia:

>1967 USS Forrestal fire
Read in another language

Watch this page
Edit
On 29 July 1967, a fire broke out on board the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal after an electrical anomaly caused a Zuni rocket on a F-4B Phantom to fire, striking an external fuel tank of an A-4 Skyhawk. The flammable jet fuel spilled across the flight deck, ignited, and triggered a chain-reaction of explosions that killed 134 sailors and injured 161. At the time, Forrestal was engaged in combat operations in the Gulf of Tonkin, during the Vietnam War. The ship survived, but with damage exceeding US$72 million, not including the damage to aircraft.[2][3] Future United States Senator John McCain and future four-star admiral and U.S. Pacific Fleet Commander Ronald J. Zlatoper were among the survivors. Lt. Tom Treanore returned to the ship as its commander and retired an admiral.[4]

1967 USS
Forrestal
fire
USS Rupertus (DD-851) stands by to assist the burning USS Forrestal (CVA-59), 29 July 1967 (USN 1124775).jpg
USS Forrestal on fire, the worst US carrier fire since WWII; USS Rupertus (DD-851) maneuvers to within 20 ft (6 m) to use fire hoses.

Cloud Hobbit

Jul 5, 2019, 4:20:57 PM7/5/19
From Snopes:

Beginning in August 2017 and well into the fall, a series of pro-Trump fake news web sites took aim at the reputation of Trump administration critic Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) by regurgitating an old, fabricated account of what caused a catastrophic fire aboard the aircraft carrier USS Forrestal in 1967. The naval disaster killed 134 sailors and injured 161—one of those survivors was McCain himself, who sustained minor injuries.

The web sites, several of which also defamed McCain as having been “a ‘rat’ or ‘stoolie’” during his five-and-a-half years of captivity as a POW in North Vietnam, laid out details claiming McCain was “personally responsible” for the deadly conflagration on the deck of the Forrestal.

For example, Liberty Today (LibertyInfo.net) reported on 18 October 2017:

The Navy released John McCain’s military record after a Freedom of Information Act request from the Associated Press. The record is packed with information on McCain’s medals and commendations but little else. The one thing that the McCain campaign does not want to see released is the record of McCain’s antics on board the USS Forestal in 1967. McCain was personally responsible for the deadliest fire in the history of the US Navy. That catastrophe, with 27 dead and over 100 wounded trumps McCain’s record as a prisoner of war in North Vietnam.

WMR has learned additional details regarding the deadly fire aboard the Navy aircraft carrier, the USS Forrestal, on July 19, 1967 in the Gulf of Tonkin. The additional details point to then-Lt. Commander John McCain playing more of a role in triggering the fire and explosions than previously reported.

WMR has been informed that crewmen aboard the Forrestal have provided additional information about the Forrestal incident. It is believed by many crewmen and those who have investigated the case that McCain deliberately “wet-started” his A-4E to shake up the guy in the plane behind his A-4. “Wet-starts”, done either deliberately or accidentally, shoot a large flame from the tail of the aircraft.

In McCain’s case, the “wet-start” apparently “cooked off” and launched the Zuni rocket from the rear F-4 that touched off the explosions and massive fire. The F-4 pilot was reportedly killed in the conflagration. “Wet starting” was apparently a common practice among young “hot-dog” pilots.

Copied word-for-word from a blog post originally published in 2008, the text is an unholy mixture of inaccuracies and outright lies. For starters, the Associated Press’ FOIA that the post references actually revealed a slew of the military’s top awards and commendations. The post also asserts that “27 died” in the fire (there were 134 fatalities, in point of fact) and that the incident occurred on 19 July 1967 (it actually took place on 29 July). It further asserts that eyewitnesses and investigators evinced the belief that the explosion and fire were caused by McCain showing off by “wet-starting” his A-4 Skyhawk aircraft. (In pilot lingo, “wet-starting” a jet engine refers to flooding its combustion chamber with extra fuel before ignition, which usually results in a loud bang and/or plume of flame on start-up.)

There are no eyewitness accounts in the official record supporting that version of events, however. According to the U.S. Navy’s exhaustive investigation into the incident, the findings of which are summarized below in an excerpt from an article by Commander Hank Stewart, USN (Ret.), a naval engineer, the fire was actually caused by the accidental firing of an Mk-32 “Zuni” rocket as a result of an electrical power surge during preparations for a strike against a target in North Vietnam:

Several of the planes started their engines in preparation for launching. Without warning, a rocket was accidentally fired from an F-4 Phantom jet fighter. The rocket struck and ripped open an A-4 Skyhawk on the other side of the flight deck. The rocket passed through the aircraft without exploding and hit the ocean. However, several hundred gallons of jet fuel poured from the Skyhawk’s punctured fuel tank and was ignited by burning rocket fuel left on the flight deck. Burning fuel was spread by the heavy winds across the flight deck and covered several more planes. Within seconds, these aircraft began burning, and the fire continued to spread. The ship immediately sounded general quarters (sending the crew to their battle stations), and an announcement notified the crew of the fire on the flight deck. The heat of the fire exploded a bomb on the flight deck approximately 90 seconds after the fire began, and a second bomb exploded a few seconds later. These explosions severely damaged the carrier and killed several Sailors on the flight deck. The fuel tanks of other planes ruptured, adding to the intensity of the blaze. The exploding bombs also created several holes in the flight deck, spilling burning jet fuel into the ship and allowing fire and smoke to spread inside the ship.

Forrestal’s crew battled and eventually extinguished the fire, with assistance from other Navy ships in the area. It took more than 24 hours to extinguish the fires below the flight deck. The losses caused by this incident were high and included 134 Sailors killed by the fire, and 161 injured. More than 20 aircraft were destroyed. The damage forced Forrestal to suspend combat operations and conduct temporary repairs in the Philippines before returning to the U.S. for permanent repair. Repairs to the ship cost approximately $72 million (equal to more than $528 million in 2017 dollars), and took approximately two years to complete.

A harrowing, 18-minute documentary produced by the U.S. Navy includes actual footage of the fire:

U.S. Navy investigators found that the carrier personnel were inadequately trained or equipped to cope with such an emergency at the time, oversights which have since been corrected with improved vessel design, damage control procedures, and equipment.

As McCain remembered the incident in his 1999 book Faith of My Fathers, the accidentally-launched Zuni missile hit his own plane, “tearing it open, igniting two hundred gallons of fuel that spilled onto the deck, and knocking two of my bombs to the deck,” though the official Navy account said that it hit a nearby Skyhawk piloted by Lt. Cdr. Fred White instead (some sources speculate that it may have struck both planes simultaneously). In any case, as the explosions and fire spread, McCain helped dispose of several bombs over the side of the vessel before receiving medical treatment, he wrote in his book. He praised what he described as the “heroics” of his fellow crewmen, whom he believed saved the Forrestal from sinking.

John McCain retired from the U.S. Navy with the rank of captain in 1981. Among his many commendations were a Distinguished Flying Cross noting his “exceptional courage, superb airmanship, and total devotion to duty” during a bombing raid over Hanoi in 1967, and a Legion of Merit with Combat “V” award “for exceptionally meritorious conduct in the performance of outstanding services to the Government of the United States while interned as a Prisoner of War in North Vietnam from October 1967 to March 1973.”

On 28 July 2017, McCain tweeted a video about the Forrestal fire to commemorate the fiftieth anniversary of the catastrophe:

Embedded video

John McCain

@SenJohnMcCain
On the 50th anniversary of the USS Forrestal fire, we honor the brave American heroes who perished that dark day http://bit.ly/2h8s7iu

Oko tillo

Jul 5, 2019, 4:40:00 PM7/5/19
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 1:54:35 PM UTC-7, Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 20:20:32 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>
> >Patrick <PBARK...@woh.rr.com> wrote in

> >> I just wish McCain would have left before his run.
> >> He never was a Republican.
> >
> >Which was the best thing about McCain. Senator McCain saved thousands
> >of lives with his last vote. The Republicans need many more McCains!

==
> Maybe that will make up for the dozens of US Navy lives he killed when
> he shot off that missile on the Forrestal.

And in fact that is not what the official investigation found.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080320002709/http://www.history.navy.mil/danfs/f3/forrestal.htm

Oko

Patrick

Jul 5, 2019, 6:03:22 PM7/5/19
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 12:30:12 -0700, "Catherine L. Cranche"
He is dead now.
And, ... since you have no clue as to how Naval investigations are
done, you bought into the final cover-up report. McCain Senior did
NOT want his son to be blamed for his incompetence. Therefore, the
skipper on the Forestal was very careul in his wording. Let me inform
you that there are always 2 reports prepared. The report that is
released is completely different from the other one that goes on a
shelf and then locked up. This report is only briefed to the highest
officials, and is meant to actually find fault, get all the testimony
recorded, and is used by the Higher Q to determine who really was at
fault. I remember when Gen LeMay fired a Wing Commander once because
he just wasn't lucky.
If you wish to worship McCain as a hero,... go for it.
I will pass.
Just as I will never forgive Jane Fonda for her bull shit.

Tim

Jul 5, 2019, 6:20:37 PM7/5/19
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 4:54:35 PM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 20:20:32 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>
> >Patrick <PBARK...@woh.rr.com> wrote in

> >> I just wish McCain would have left before his run.
> >> He never was a Republican.
> >
> >Which was the best thing about McCain. Senator McCain saved thousands
> >of lives with his last vote. The Republicans need many more McCains!
>
> Maybe that will make up for the dozens of US Navy lives he killed when
> he shot off that missile on the Forrestal.

His aircraft was hit by the missile, you know-nothing twat.

Catherine L. Cranche

Jul 5, 2019, 10:20:59 PM7/5/19
So is your bullshit claim that he caused the Forrestal fire. That's deader
than a Texas salad bar. Fuck off.

Gronk

Jul 9, 2019, 11:36:37 PM7/9/19
Patrick wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:51:18 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>
>> <https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-indep
>> endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>
>>
>> <http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
>>
>> One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
>> starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.
>
> What are his reasons?

Did you bother to follow the link, or follow any of the news about this?

> Does the thought of pelosi make him puke?

He's not leaving Congress.

Patrick

Jul 10, 2019, 3:43:38 AM7/10/19
On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 21:36:35 -0600, Gronk <inva...@invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>Patrick wrote:
>> On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:51:18 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
>>
>>> <https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-indep
>>> endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>
>>>
>>> <http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
>>>
>>> One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
>>> starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.
>>
>> What are his reasons?
>
>Did you bother to follow the link, or follow any of the news about this?

Justin Amash is a man without a party. That’s because no party can win
with his ideas.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/07/05/justin-amash-is-man-without-party-thats-because-no-party-can-win-with-his-ideas/?utm_term=.bc8353eee941

Amash’s decision means he will be effectively powerless in Washington.
House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (Calif.) is a Democrat, and she has no
reason to deal with Amash or afford him any slots on committees. The
Republicans now have even less incentive to accommodate him. With
Democrats comfortably in the majority, they will not need his vote to
pass any legislation. So Amash will be alone in the political
wilderness and free to cast whatever votes he chooses — and affect
absolutely nothing.

His real complaint, of course, is not that the partisan system has
broken down; it’s that his brand of free-market, noninterventionist
libertarianism no longer has a comfortable home within the Republican
Party. This puts him in the company of former senator Jeff Flake
(R-Ariz.), who chose not to run for reelection last year after polls
showed him losing his primary to a candidate more in line with today’s
Republican Party. Flake decried this turn from Barry Goldwater’s
libertarian-tinged conservatism, going so far as to write a book that
borrowed Goldwater’s 1960 cri du coeur, “Conscience of a
Conservative,” arguing for a return to those older values.

Amash is a man without a party because a party that embraced his ideas
cannot win. Whether he loses a reelection bid or runs a quixotic
presidential campaign, as many expect, on the Libertarian Party
ticket, he will soon be gone from political life. And the dream of a
libertarian-dominated Republican Party will go with him.

Gronk

Jul 17, 2019, 1:19:44 AM7/17/19
Patrick wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 21:36:35 -0600, Gronk <inva...@invalid.invalid>
> wrote:
>
>> Patrick wrote:

>>> What are his reasons?
>>
>> Did you bother to follow the link, or follow any of the news about this?
>
> Justin Amash is a man

with guts.

Patrick

Jul 17, 2019, 8:59:52 AM7/17/19
On Tue, 16 Jul 2019 23:19:43 -0600, Gronk <inva...@invalid.invalid>
Who knows he is a loozer and knows he can't possibly win his seat
again as a dork loozer.

Kevrob

Jul 17, 2019, 10:01:36 AM7/17/19
On Wednesday, July 10, 2019 at 3:43:38 AM UTC-4, Patrick wrote:

I take it this is you quoting WaPo:

> Amash is a man without a party because a party that embraced his ideas
> cannot win. Whether he loses a reelection bid or runs a quixotic
> presidential campaign, as many expect, on the Libertarian Party
> ticket, he will soon be gone from political life. And the dream of a
> libertarian-dominated Republican Party will go with him.

So, Americans who want neither the Democratic Party's "slouching
towards social democracy" policies nor the Trump-era Republicans'
incoherent mix of personal-rule populism and obeisance to religiously
motivated social "conservatives," both infused with greater and greater
power to the state, and both wedded to continual war in the far corners
of the world, in service to ... just what,exactlty?... must put up with
this false choice between Statism Blue and Statism Red for how long?
Both sides are ready to shred various sections of the constitution as
pleases their core constituencies. The idea that a legislator might
use his own conscience to decide which way he votes, and answer to the
voters of his district is dead, what matters is how loyal he is to
the party caucus, and its leader, or to the occupant of the White House,
if he happens to nominally be a member of the President's party, comes
before anything else? This last is especially alarming in an era when
party identification among the voters is as weak as it has been in a
long time. More voters identify as independent than do with either of
the officially supported parties.

[quote]

Significantly more U.S. adults continued to identify as political
independents (42%) in 2018 than as either Democrats (30%) or Republicans
(26%). At least four in 10 Americans have been political independents in
seven of the past eight years, including a record-high 43% in 2014.

[/quote]

https://news.gallup.com/poll/245801/americans-continue-embrace-political-independence.aspx

Now,those who remain in the 2 parties may be as partisan as they ever
have been, though nobody has been beaten to within an inch of their
life on the floor of one of Congress' chambers, nor fought any duels...
yet!

see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burr-Hamilton_Duel

We are envisioning a president who may fight to keep from a
conviction in an impeachment trial, because he needs the
office to shield him from prosecutions and civil actions he may
be exposed to were he to resign. The 2020 Trump election slogan
may not be "he kept us out war," but "help the Prez stay out
of jail!"

Neither side in this mishegas has a clue how to, nor even
any motivation to extricate the country from interminable
military entanglements abroad,or the war on its citizenry
under the flag of "fighting drugs," with its attendant
loss of,not just civil liberties, but the lives of innocent
bystanders, of minor "offenders," and law enforcement
personnel put at risk to effect a Sisyphean task of breaking
the country of a bad habit,using the tactics of occupying
armies. It is madness, but if you are labeled "soft on crime,"
you will lose your seat!

Kudos to Amash and a few Republicans for voting to shame the
President for his imitation of a 19th century Know-Nothing,
yesterday.

--
Kevin R
a.a #2310

Malcolm McMahon

Jul 17, 2019, 10:34:15 AM7/17/19
On Thursday, 4 July 2019 21:16:26 UTC+1, a322x1n wrote:
> default <def...@defaulter.net> wrote in
>
> > On Thu, 04 Jul 2019 10:51:18 GMT, a322x1n <vo...@void.void> wrote:
> >
> >><https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-ind
> >>ep endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>
> >>
> >> <http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
> >>
> >> One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others
> >> are starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.
> >
> > Seems to me that with each new "campaign finance reform" the party
> > line counts for more than the electorate's wishes. The Republicans
> > have typically represented the "greed is good crowd" (corporate
> > oligarchy) and have no problem cutting taxes for the wealthy and
> > doling out "incentives" to the corporate interests.
> >
> > The economy responds so slowly, that the mistakes or discretion of the
> > party making the decisions won't manifest themselves until a new
> > administration is installed. So we might have democrats worrying
> > about the national debt and doing things to reduce it, so republicans
> > can come along and trash their efforts under the guise of less
> > government, less regulations, lower taxes -for the wealthy, of course.
> >
> > Had the regulations installed after the "great depression" remained in
> > place, the last recession/depression might have been avoided. (Reagan,
> > Clinton, and Bush all had a hand in that debacle - because they
> > listened to the sages on Wall Street)
>
> Very good points! A lot of the damage Trump is doing won't show up
> until the next President, at which point the Republicans will blame
> the Democrat.

Just as the American Economy, trashed by the Shrub's banking crisis, started to recover strongly in the last couple of Obama years, for which Trump is taking the credit.

Gronk

Jul 23, 2019, 12:47:58 AM7/23/19
That he's right.

Patrick

Jul 23, 2019, 7:18:58 AM7/23/19
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 22:47:55 -0600, Gronk <inva...@invalid.invalid>
amash knows he is a loozer and knows he can't possibly win his seat

Gronk

Jul 29, 2019, 12:39:27 AM7/29/19
the republican party has left *him*

Viktor Tandofsky

Jul 29, 2019, 2:10:40 AM7/29/19
On Thursday, July 4, 2019 at 3:51:20 AM UTC-7, a322x1n wrote:
> <https://www.huffpost.com/entry/justin-amash-quits-republican-party-indep
> endence_n_5d1d7986e4b0f312567eb639?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000618>
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/y46hok99>
>
> One Republican in Congress has had enough. I wonder how many others are
> starting to wake up. His reasons for leaving say a lot.

He's a Palestinian Arab. I don't believe a word he says.

Patrick

Jul 29, 2019, 5:12:03 AM7/29/19
On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 22:39:24 -0600, Gronk <inva...@invalid.invalid>
That's his story and he's stickin ta it.

Mitchell Holman

Jul 29, 2019, 8:13:34 AM7/29/19
Viktor Tandofsky <vtand...@gmail.com> wrote in
"Only an arrogant fool would make
generalizations about people he never
met and whose particular childhood he
knows nothing about."
Arty/Joe, Jan 20 2019
http://tinyurl.com/ycts33uo

Viktor Tandofsky

Jul 29, 2019, 9:51:28 AM7/29/19
Justin Amash was born in 1980 in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the son of a Palestinian Christian father and a Syrian Christian mother.[1

Christopher A. Lee

Jul 29, 2019, 10:10:39 AM7/29/19
The liar's been making the same generalisations about atheists ever
since he first arrived here, for no other reason than his unjustified
hatred.

Kevrob

Jul 29, 2019, 1:16:48 PM7/29/19
[quote]

A native of Grand Rapids, Michigan, Amash was born to Arab Christian
parents (Palestinian Dad, Syrian Mom) who had immigrated to the United States.

[/quote]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_Amash

How revolting would you find it if people wouldn't accept you because
you are Jewish, and therefore untrustworthy? You'd be rightly incensed.

People should distrust you because you are a trolling asshole,
not because of your heritage!

Viktor Tandofsky

Jul 29, 2019, 1:29:05 PM7/29/19
I distrust you because you are a liar.

Don Martin

Jul 29, 2019, 1:31:27 PM7/29/19
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:16:45 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com>
wrote:
Worse, still, he's a rolling asshole: an asshole whatever side is up.

Fidei defensor (Hon. Antipodean)
Je pense, donc je suis Charlie.

Mitchell Holman

Jul 29, 2019, 1:43:45 PM7/29/19
Viktor Tandofsky <vtand...@gmail.com> wrote in
So you are the "arrogant fool"
making generalizations about someone
you have never met.

Just as accuse others of doing.

Hypocrite much?

Viktor Tandofsky

Jul 29, 2019, 1:44:20 PM7/29/19
No, just you and I posted the evidence.

Message has been deleted

Viktor Tandofsky

Jul 29, 2019, 3:21:40 PM7/29/19

duckg...@cox.net

Jul 30, 2019, 6:28:42 PM7/30/19
On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:16:45 -0700 (PDT), Kevrob <kev...@my-deja.com> wrote:

Hey, I though you were the trolling asshole.

the dukester