OT: How smart was Albert Einstein ?

John Locke

Mar 17, 2016, 9:57:37 PM3/17/16
I ran across this old article on how smart Einstein was.
A pretty good summary of his remarkable achievements.
To say this man was a genius would be a gross understatement:

http://www.innovation-america.org/q-how-smart-was-einstein-really-smart

There is a parlor game physics students play: Who was the greater
genius? Galileo or Kepler? (Galileo) Maxwell or Bohr? (Maxwell, but
it's closer than you might think). Hawking or Heisenberg? (A
no-brainer, whatever the best-seller lists might say. It's
Heisenberg). But there are two figures who are simply off the charts.
Isaac Newton is one. The other is Albert Einstein. If pressed,
physicists give Newton pride of place, but it is a photo finish—€”and
no one else is in the race.

Newton's claim is obvious. He created modern physics. His system
described the behavior of the entire cosmos—€”and while others before
him had invented grand schemes, Newton's was different. His theories
were mathematical, making specific predictions to be confirmed by
experiments in the real world. Little wonder that those after Newton
called him lucky—€”"for there is only one universe to discover, and he
discovered it."

But what of Einstein? Well, Einstein felt compelled to apologize to
Newton. "Newton, forgive me;" Einstein wrote in his Autobiographical
Notes. "You found the only way which, in your age, was just about
possible for a man of highest thought and creative power." Forgive
him? For what? For replacing Newton's system with his own—€”and, like
Newton, for putting his mark on virtually every branch of physics.

That's the difference. Young physicists who play the "who's smarter"
game are really asking, "how will I measure up?" Is there a shot to
match—€”if not Maxwell, then perhaps Lorentz? But Einstein? Don't go
there.

Astero...@yahoo.com

Mar 17, 2016, 10:32:58 PM3/17/16
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 6:57:37 PM UTC-7, John Locke wrote:
> I ran across this old article on how smart Einstein was.
> A pretty good summary of his remarkable achievements.
> To say this man was a genius would be a gross understatement:
>
> http://www.innovation-america.org/q-how-smart-was-einstein-really-smart
>
> There is a parlor game physics students play: Who was the greater
> genius? Galileo or Kepler? (Galileo) Maxwell or Bohr? (Maxwell, but
> it's closer than you might think). Hawking or Heisenberg? (A
> no-brainer, whatever the best-seller lists might say. It's
> Heisenberg). But there are two figures who are simply off the charts.
> Isaac Newton is one. The other is Albert Einstein. If pressed,
> physicists give Newton pride of place, but it is a photo finish--EURO "and
> no one else is in the race.
>
> Newton's claim is obvious. He created modern physics. His system
> described the behavior of the entire cosmos--EURO "and while others before
> him had invented grand schemes, Newton's was different. His theories
> were mathematical, making specific predictions to be confirmed by
> experiments in the real world. Little wonder that those after Newton
> called him lucky--EURO ""for there is only one universe to discover, and he
> discovered it."
>
> But what of Einstein? Well, Einstein felt compelled to apologize to
> Newton. "Newton, forgive me;" Einstein wrote in his Autobiographical
> Notes. "You found the only way which, in your age, was just about
> possible for a man of highest thought and creative power." Forgive
> him? For what? For replacing Newton's system with his own--EURO "and, like
> Newton, for putting his mark on virtually every branch of physics.
>
> That's the difference. Young physicists who play the "who's smarter"
> game are really asking, "how will I measure up?" Is there a shot to
> match--EURO "if not Maxwell, then perhaps Lorentz? But Einstein? Don't go
> there.

the problem is Newton's stuff works and works pragmatically, and Einstein's stuff only churns the brain.

John Locke

Mar 17, 2016, 11:20:00 PM3/17/16
On Thu, 17 Mar 2016 19:32:54 -0700 (PDT), Astero...@yahoo.com
wrote:
...wrong, GPS navigation wouldn't work unless the effects of gravity
on time are not taken into account. If adjustments to GPS satellites
are not made, your ground navigation devices would be off by 6 miles
on a daily basis. In this case, "Newton's stuff' does not work. Learn
your science before you post !

Tim

Mar 18, 2016, 3:59:30 AM3/18/16
It churns your brain because your an idiot. Observation has confirmed Einstein's theories again and again, stupid.

nature bats last

Mar 18, 2016, 11:47:03 AM3/18/16
.> >the problem is Newton's stuff works and works pragmatically, and Einstein's stuff only churns the brain.

.> ...wrong, GPS navigation wouldn't work unless the effects of gravity
.> on time are not taken into account. If adjustments to GPS satellites
.> are not made, your ground navigation devices would be off by 6 miles
.> on a daily basis. In this case, "Newton's stuff' does not work. Learn
.> your science before you post !

Both gravity and velocity too. GPS uses corrections to the effects
on its clocks due to relative velocity, Special Relativity, as well as
corrections due to the difference in gravitational potential,
from General Relativity.

Seth

WeHang FagZ

Mar 18, 2016, 1:31:24 PM3/18/16
On Friday, March 18, 2016 at 3:59:30 AM UTC-4, Tim wrote:

> > the problem is Newton's stuff works and works pragmatically, and Einstein's stuff only churns the brain.
>
> It churns your brain because your an idiot. Observation has confirmed Einstein's theories again and again, stupid.

Talking about those big names doesn't make you one of them, you stupid jerk.

WeHang FagZ

Mar 18, 2016, 1:32:53 PM3/18/16
On Thursday, March 17, 2016 at 9:57:37 PM UTC-4, John Locke wrote:
> I ran across this old article on how smart Einstein was.
> A pretty good summary of his remarkable achievements.
> To say this man was a genius would be a gross understatement:

YOU'RE A CROOK NOT A SCIENTIST, SO WHY SHOULD WE CARE????

nature bats last

Mar 18, 2016, 1:54:00 PM3/18/16
Codie here is proof positive that randomness occurs on the
macro level as well as the quantum level.

Seth

Jeanne Douglas

Mar 18, 2016, 7:49:42 PM3/18/16
In article <b62e8fa6-885a-468a...@googlegroups.com>,
Where did he say it did?

--

JD

"If ANYONE will not welcome you or listen to
your words, LEAVE that home or town and shake
the dust off your feet." Matthew 10:14

Astero...@yahoo.com

Mar 18, 2016, 11:41:17 PM3/18/16
not necessarily. there are other explanations for phenomenon. besides that, you're too disgruntled to figure it out. it's all that churning in your brain.

Olrik

Mar 19, 2016, 12:37:03 AM3/19/16
He's not pretending to, fuckface.

--
Olrik
aa #1981

Olrik

Mar 19, 2016, 12:37:55 AM3/19/16
And that evolution has its hiccups...

> Seth

nature bats last

Mar 19, 2016, 4:13:44 AM3/19/16
.> the problem is Newton's stuff works and works pragmatically, and Einstein's stuff only churns the brain.

You don't build a particle accelerator which boosts protons to 0.999999990 c
using Newtonian physics.

And so they didn't:

http://journal.batard.info/post/2008/09/12/lhc-how-fast-do-these-protons-go

Seth

nature bats last

Mar 19, 2016, 4:15:15 AM3/19/16
.> > It churns your brain because your an idiot. Observation has confirmed Einstein's theories again and again, stupid.

.> not necessarily. there are other explanations for phenomenon.

OK, I'll bite: what are other explanations for gravitational lensing?

Seth

Jeanne Douglas

Mar 19, 2016, 8:55:39 AM3/19/16
In article <ncikrf$icp$2...@dont-email.me>, Olrik <olri...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> It churns your brain because your an idiot. Observation has confirmed
> >> Einstein's theories again and again, stupid.
> >

> > Talking about those big names doesn't make you one of them, you stupid
> > jerk.
>

> He's not pretending to, fuckface.

The straw men they invent are even more moronic than they are.

Christopher A. Lee

Mar 19, 2016, 1:35:08 PM3/19/16
The Great Arkleseizure did it and made it look the way Einstein
predicted.

Kurt Kurt

Mar 19, 2016, 8:55:00 PM3/19/16
Almost as smart as Kurt Godel.