Grupos de Google ya no admite nuevas publicaciones ni suscripciones de Usenet. El contenido anterior sigue siendo visible.

OT: What's your favorite hot sauce?

Visto 2 veces
Saltar al primer mensaje no leído

John Popelish

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 15:41:459/2/07
I have been on a hot sauce kick, lately, and am on my third
or fourth bottle, trying different brands and types.

I started with Sontava XX Habanero sauce.
It has a nice vegetable flavor, as well as plenty of heat.
The carrots and lime come through clearly.

Then I went through a big bottle of Franks Red Hot Sauce.
Not nearly so hot, and not as interesting a flavor. Much
more sour than Sontava.

I got a bottle of green Goya Salsita. Fairly mild, and with
a nice fresh jalapeño flavor. I like it in scrambled eggs.

I moved up to El Yucateco Chile Habanero hot sauce. Plenty
hot but still, an interesting flavor that goes with lots of
different dishes. But be careful with the amount, or pay
the price.

I just opened a bottle of Tapatio Salsa Picante, that is
sort of a cross between simple hot sauce and steak sauce.
Lots of spices and complex after taste and not too hot. I
used lots of this at a restaurant to kick up the salsa
served with a bowl of corn tortillas, and went out bought my
own bottle.

Do you have any recommendations of something else I should
try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
just mean.

t1gercat

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 16:17:519/2/07

Lingham's sauce, if you like sweet and middling hot. I love the stuff
on Pizza. I had a good friend who swore by "Ass in the Tub" hot sauce.
He also adventured with Endorphin Rush. In the end he died of cancer.
Don't know if it was sauce related.

skyeyes

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 17:09:419/2/07
On Feb 9, 1:41 pm, John Popelish <jpopel...@rica.net> wrote:
> I have been on a hot sauce kick, lately, and am on my third
> or fourth bottle, trying different brands and types.

> Do you have any recommendations of something else I should

> try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
> just mean.

Never mind the name, just try it:

Liquid Stoopid http://firegirlpower.com/reviews/hs1531/

Actually has a nice smoky taste. And it's hot.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes at dakotacom dot net

Randy Day

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 17:17:319/2/07

I haven't tried any yet, but this guy
has a selection of hot stuff. I know he
ships to customers all over the place.
There was a mango chutney that looked
interesting ... I should stop by again.

http://www.unclebig.com/index.htm

Atheist Chair,
EAC Disciplinary Committee

G-Ride

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 17:52:079/2/07
"John Popelish" <jpop...@rica.net> wrote in message

I (and more importantly my wife) swear by Duck Butter. Some hot sauces are
hot just for the sake of being hot without much real flavor. Duck Butter
isn't insanely hot, but it has a real distinct flavor. Last year, a bottle
of Duck Butter was what we gave several friends for xmas.

http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/store/catalog/product_16897_Duck_Butter_Hot_Pepper_Sauce.html

--
Aloha, G-Ride

The force that's forcing you to feel like busting up a Starbucks.

AZ Nomad

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 18:20:019/2/07
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:41:45 -0500, John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> wrote:

>Do you have any recommendations of something else I should
>try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
>just mean.

I agree. I've purchased them mostly as joke items. They're also great for
training cats not to chew drapery or electrical cords.

I currently like simple hot sauces like Cholulas and Tapatio.
And of course, there's always a tupperware of chopped green chilli in the
fridge to put on eggs. The green chilli is bought at harvest time by the
bushel, roasted, bagged in 12oz freezer bags and kept frozen. 50-60 bags are
usually enough for the whole year.

John Popelish

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 20:20:539/2/07
AZ Nomad wrote:
(snip)

> I currently like simple hot sauces like Cholulas and Tapatio.

I have a bottle of Cholulas in the cupboard, waiting its turn.

> And of course, there's always a tupperware of chopped green chilli in the
> fridge to put on eggs. The green chilli is bought at harvest time by the
> bushel, roasted, bagged in 12oz freezer bags and kept frozen. 50-60 bags are
> usually enough for the whole year.

Yum! I may have to roast some, this fall.

AZ Nomad

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 20:13:239/2/07

I leave it to the pros. They use gas fired roasters where the chilis are
put in a steel cylinder cage and turned while they're roasted.
Like one of these: http://www.chileroastersonline.com/newazchileroasters/jalapenomphoto.html

raven1

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 20:19:529/2/07
wrote:

>Do you have any recommendations of something else I should

>try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
>just mean.

Melinda's XXXXtra Reserve. Great flavor and near-intense heat combined
brilliantly.

Marie Sharp's (not sure if you can still find it, the Melinda's line
is based on it).
--

"O Sybilli, si ergo
Fortibus es in ero

Mark

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 20:53:389/2/07
John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> wrote in

> I have been on a hot sauce kick, lately, and am on my third
> or fourth bottle, trying different brands and types.

[ ... ]

> Do you have any recommendations of something else I should
> try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
> just mean.

my favorite "every day" condiment is Matouk's west indian hot
sauce...very tasty, and not ridiculously hot like the Insanity
stuff...definitely *not* tex-mex though...Matouk's has a very
delicious Caribbean accent

--

Mark

Doc Smartass

no leída,
9 feb 2007, 21:37:089/2/07

> I have been on a hot sauce kick, lately, and am on my third

One really interesting sauce I've tried in the last few years was
AppleSass. There was a sampler at a local Firehouse Subs joint and I
haven't seen it again since (apparently Sam McGee's isn't making it
anymore).

It was hot, but not vicious.

My favorite will always be Tabasco red, but Yucatan Sunshine's habanero
is damn good. It's not overly hot--maybe warmer than Tabasco red--and has
a good flavor.

--
Doc Smartass, BAAWA Knight of Heckling
aa # 1939

AUTHORITARIANS ARE PERVERTS. Why?
--They consider themselves shepherds.
--They consider the rest of us sheep.
--Shepherds fuck sheep.
--Therefore AUTHORITARIANS ARE PERVERTS.

Olrik

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 0:41:3010/2/07

Or, make your own!

My girlfriend likes hot sauce on a lot of dishes, but was not
satisfied with the taste or the texture of the sauces. So she
basically buys a moderately "basic" hot sauce and adds :

- garlic;
- onions;
- chives;
- chunks of tomatoes;
- celery;
- etc...

Then add your favorite spices to reflect your taste or the "origin" of
the dish. The idea is that from a simple bottled hot sauce, you can
make a tasty variation depending on the dish itself.

Have fun!

Olrik

Uncle Vic

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 0:42:1210/2/07
One fine day in alt.atheism, John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> bloodied us
up with this:

> Do you have any recommendations of something else I should
> try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
> just mean.

Not much to add here, the Tapatio is my favorite, and I like La Victoria
medium to hot taco sauce. I stay away from the Habanero sauces ever since
a very bad flight home from Cancun in 2001. You might try the Chipotle
flavored Tabasco, which is not overly hot, but mighty tasty. I like making
my own sauces with Embassa chipotle peppers (canned). A bowl of mayonnaise
with 5-6 chopped up chipotle peppers in sauce makes a great dipping sauce
for artichokes.

--
Uncle Vic
aa Atheist #2011

Sean C

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 2:04:5910/2/07
In article <u5idnbJGOJMaRFHY...@comcast.com>, John
Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> wrote:

I used to be a chilihead but unfortunately after 20 years developed an
allergy to chilis. Back in the day my favorites were El Yucateco
Habanero and Thai Sriracha sauce, especially the Shark brand. Another
good sauce which calls itself Sriracha sauce even though it isn't but
is still damn good is Tuong OT by Huy Fong. The Shark brand is the most
popular in Thailand. There are a few other brands of Thai Sriracha
sauces but I forget the names. Both of these are heavy on flavor and
moderate in heat for anyone who can handle habanero sauce. The Shark
Brand comes in 1 quart bottles for about $5.00 or so in Thai stores and
you can use it almost like ketchup, so you can really spread the flavor
around in a way you can't with the hotter sauces. A tablespoon or two
in a bowl of soup or a bowl or rice is excellent. This site sells The
Shark and Huy Fong brands:

http://importfood.com/sriracha_sauce.html

--Sean C

johac

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 2:44:0210/2/07
In article <u5idnbJGOJMaRFHY...@comcast.com>,
John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> wrote:

I like the Tapatio myself. It's just hot enough and has a nice taste.
I've experimented with many, but always come back to Tapatio.
--
John Hachmann aa #1782

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities"
-Voltaire

Contact - Throw a .net over the .com

Therion Ware

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 2:50:5010/2/07
On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 15:41:45 -0500, John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net>
wrote:

[snip]

Linghams Chili sauce. The King amongst the mighty!

http://www.chillilimedeli.co.uk/products/sauces/linghams-chilli-sauce-malaysian-product.html

and if I can't find that then Maggi sweet chili sauce

http://www.thetasteofasia.com/products.asp

They also do a Chili & garlic sauce, but this should only be used in
time of war.

--
"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you".
attrib: Pauline Réage.

Doc Smartass

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 5:43:5610/2/07
Doc Smartass <gek...@astroskivviesboymail.com> wrote in

http://www.chilenorth.com/chilenorth/product.htm
Last one--Apple Mango--sounds about like the AppleSass...gonna have to
get me some.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave/hotsauce.html
Tips on DIY sauces--dig the guys in emergency gear and gas masks, about
halfway down!

I KILLED YOUR GOD---IT WAS FUN!

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 6:31:3010/2/07
i bought some stuff from world market called 'hot sauce from hell'.
it was.
yesterday i was there and found a bottle of ale called 'monty pythons holy
grail' with the g, xed thru.
it now sits on my shelf with other discussionary peices.

Scott Richter

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 13:20:5810/2/07
John Popelish <jpop...@rica.net> wrote:

> Do you have any recommendations of something else I should
> try. I'm not interested in the Insanity sauces that are
> just mean.

The Tabasco Habanero Sauce is outstanding and available in most grocery
stores. It is my favorite sauce for eggs, and is not a "mean" habanero
sauce like so many are.

For a fun article about one man's obsession with this hot sauce, check
this out:

http://photoshopnews.com/2005/05/27/photoshop-widows-club-the-extremist/

(Thomas Knoll was the creator of Photoshop).

G-Ride

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 16:48:1610/2/07
"G-Ride" <griden...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> "John Popelish" <jpop...@rica.net> wrote in message
>>
>>Do you have any recommendations of something else I should try. I'm not
>>interested in the Insanity sauces that are just mean.
>

> I (and more importantly my wife) swear by Duck Butter. Some hot sauces
> are hot just for the sake of being hot without much real flavor. Duck
> Butter isn't insanely hot, but it has a real distinct flavor. Last year,
> a bottle of Duck Butter was what we gave several friends for xmas.
>
> http://www.tearsofjoysauces.com/store/catalog/product_16897_Duck_Butter_Hot_Pepper_Sauce.html

Here's the direct link to Duck Butter:

www.duckbutterhotsauce.com

John Popelish

no leída,
10 feb 2007, 19:56:1810/2/07

Man, I started noting sauce names on the back of a business
card to put in my wallet. I'm up to a 3 by 5 file card, and
am starting on the back. I may need to reprint it with a
small font, so everything fits.

I went to this web site and think I recognize the Tuong Ot
sauce from the last time I was in Big Lots (of all places).
You never know what you will find there, and it probably
won't be there when you go back. But I doubt I will order
any sauces right now. It is fun to have a watch list and
just have an ongoing treasure hunt while shopping for other
stuff. This thread has been a big help.

duke

no leída,
11 feb 2007, 9:02:0911/2/07
On Sat, 10 Feb 2007 11:48:16 -1000, "G-Ride" <gride4...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Here's the direct link to Duck Butter:
>www.duckbutterhotsauce.com

That bloody mary is something goofy only a Texan could come up with. Try a bm
with Zing-Zang doctored up with some fresh horseradish, Tabasco, and seasoned
salt on the lip.

duke, American-American
*****
Pope Paul VI