What atheists truly believe

John Jones

Mar 9, 2010, 7:17:39 PM3/9/10
Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
God or gods.

Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
about asserting one's public face in the arena.

Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The
atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
As you will see.

Richo

Mar 9, 2010, 7:22:55 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 11:17 am, John Jones <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.

Did you determine this with you SuperDuper Mind Reading Powers?
<snip>

I truly believe that you are an annoying prat.

Mark.

Kelsey Bjarnason

Mar 9, 2010, 7:41:37 PM3/9/10
On Wed, 10 Mar 2010 00:17:39 +0000, John Jones wrote:

> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.

How can one be "against" something there's no reason to think exists?
Are you "against" pixies and unicorns? I assure you, I'm not.

> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> about asserting one's public face in the arena.

Atheism is, fundamentally, little more than a response to evangelism.
Or, in other words, if the believers would kindly keep their weird,
screwed-up beliefs to themselves, most nobody would ever hear a peep from
the atheist crowd.

No, can't have that. Instead, the believers keep trying to force their
screwed-up beliefs into our laws, our schools, our social mores and the
like, often asking - implicitly or explicitly - that we, unaffected with
such bizarre beliefs, nevertheless foot at least some portion of the bill.

If you want to believe, fine. If you want me to believe, you'll have to
provide sound, solid, tangible, objective evidence. If you want me to
live under laws derived from your screwball beliefs, or to have my kids
inflicted with your screwball beliefs in what is supposed to be a science
class, you can take that notion, carve it on a chunk of granite, chip it
until it's all sharp corners, and get yourself excessively intimate with
it.

If we - as atheists - are against anything, we're against having *your*
beliefs forced upon us. We're also against having the next guy's
religious beliefs forced upon us... and we're against having his
religious beliefs forced upon *you*.

> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals.

Correct. It is nothing more than the rejection of one particular set of
unsupported claims. In much the same way we tend to reject claims of,
oh, crystal healing powers, perpetual motion machines, cold fusion, alien
"visitation" and "abduction" and so on and so forth, and for the same
reason... the complete lack of reason to take them seriously.

Atheism is only about the "beliefs" of the individual insofar as one
might hope he - and all people - have an innate belief that "taking
things at face value", while in some cases may be a good thing, can be
taken too far. The guy trying to sell you the Brooklyn bridge for $500,
or who wants to sell you some Florida real estate, cheap, or who is
trying to get you to invest in his "miracle money scheme" - or adopt his
pet religion - is very likely in the latter category: basically a crook,
even if he happens to think he's doing "right".

For some reason, some folks seem to think religion should get some sort
of "free pass", that it shouldn't be treated like any other crackpot
notion, it should just be accepted, as valid and true, without a shred of
an actual reason to do so. There's a term for such people: "gullible
simpletons".

> The
> atheist who experiences a God or gods

Would no longer be an atheist. He would know a god or gods exist, and
thus - assuming he's a basically sane person - would be forced to accept
the truth of it, rather than believe otherwise.

Nor would he need to experience "gods" to achieve this; all he really
needs is sufficiently compelling, objective evidence that gods exist -
which is presumably somewhat easier to achieve.

The fact the believers fail, in every case, to come up with even a shred
of a hint of a suggestion of such evidence tends to suggest such evidence
likely doesn't exist.

Go ahead, convert us all - show us some actual evidence of "gods".

Virgil

Mar 9, 2010, 7:50:09 PM3/9/10
In article <hn6oeq$rip$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
John Jones <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.

Atheists are merely against certainty in the absence of sufficient
evidence to justify certainty.

Which of the many gods proposed by mankind do you classify as real and
which imaginary? Atheism is merely doubt that you, or anyone else, can
justify such classifications with any concrete evidence.

> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> about asserting one's public face in the arena.

Theists who post here are making an equally public posture and must be
willing to be challenged to justify such intrusion.

> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals.

Actually atheism is ONLY about the beliefs, or lack thereof, of those
individuals who proclaim themselves to be atheists.

> The
> atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.

Those who "experience" a god or gods to the extent that they believe in
the existence of that god or those gods are, by definition, not atheists,

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 7:52:51 PM3/9/10

"John Jones" <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

**That's right. Atheists believe in God. They just don't know it.
They will even oppose yours and my message here. But that is
only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 7:58:44 PM3/9/10

"Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

Atheism has never been accurately defined.

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 7:59:35 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 4:52 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Jones" <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's God
> > or gods.
>
> > Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> > of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is about
> > asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> > Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The atheist
> > who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
> > As you will see.
>
> **That's right.  Atheists believe in God.

That's really odd. I don't believe in God - does that mean I'm not an
atheist?

>   They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message here.  But that is
> only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.

There are some things I believe in. For example, I do believe you're
kind of a fruitcake.

- Bob T

Virgil

Mar 9, 2010, 8:12:04 PM3/9/10
In article <ReadnQLj-65XcwvW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

How about the old standby "lack of belief in the existence of any god"?

Is there anything about that old standby which you find not accurate?

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 8:24:48 PM3/9/10

"Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

Yes. What you are saying is not accurate at all, because it is God
you don't believe in, not any god. And even if you did admit (tell the
truth finally) that what you don't believe in was God, it still would be
undefined, as atheists don't know what they mean when they say the word God.

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 8:34:28 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 5:24 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

> > In article <ReadnQLj-65XcwvWnZ2dnUVZ_oSdn...@posted.internetamerica>,

> > "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >> "Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

Ah, then tell us exactly what _you_ mean by the word "God", so we can
tell you that we specifically don't believe in It.

- Bob T

Smiler

Mar 9, 2010, 8:37:18 PM3/9/10

Whatever god you propose, I don't believe in it.

--
Smiler
The godless one

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 8:37:16 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

On Mar 9, 4:52 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Jones" <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> > God
> > or gods.
>
> > Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> > of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> > about
> > asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> > Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The
> > atheist
> > who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
> > As you will see.
>
> **That's right. Atheists believe in God.

That's really odd. I don't believe in God

**Yes, you do. You are just not being honest. You are trying to look
good to your buddies.

- does that mean I'm not an
atheist?

**Yes it does. There is no such thing as an atheist.

> They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message here.
> But that is
> only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.

There are some things I believe in. For example, I do believe you're
kind of a fruitcake.

**Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 8:46:50 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 5:37 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 9, 4:52 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "John Jones" <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > > Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> > > God
> > > or gods.
>
> > > Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> > > of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> > > about
> > > asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> > > Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The
> > > atheist
> > > who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
> > > As you will see.
>
> > **That's right. Atheists believe in God.
>
> That's really odd.  I don't believe in God
>
> **Yes, you do.  You are just not being honest.  You are trying to look
> good to your buddies.

Wow.. you really are a fruitcake - an arrogant one at that.

By the way, you believe in Kali. I know because you deny that you
believe in Kali.

>  - does that mean I'm not an atheist?
>
> **Yes it does.  There is no such thing as an atheist.

Yes, there is. There is also such a thing as a fruitcake, and you are
an excellent example.

> > They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message here.
> > But that is
> > only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> > of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.
>
> There are some things I believe in.  For example, I do believe you're
> kind of a fruitcake.
>
> **Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.

No, if I wanted to believe the impossible I would believe in your
God. That way I would "look good" to billions of Christians instead
of to millions of atheists.

Why don't you stick to trying to read your own mind, Mark?

- Bob T

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 8:50:49 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> That's right. Atheists believe in God. They just don't know it.

No, you believe in wookies, you just don't know it.

No, you're Muslim, you just don't know it.

No, you're a flaminco dancer, you just don't know it.

No, you're the reincarnated soul of Mahatma Ghandi, you just don't know
it.

See how stupid this game is? No, I guess you're to stupid.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 8:53:19 PM3/9/10
John Jones wrote:

> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.

We aren't against any gods, just as we're not against orcs, incubi, or
big foots. (Big feet?)
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 8:55:38 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> They will even oppose yours and my message here.

Hey, fuckwit . . . this is alt.atheism. You come into our house, ancting
like a demented howler monkey, flinging shit and pissing on the carpets.
You've been treated better than you deserve. Now fuck off.
--
Enkidu

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:04:26 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

**You wouldn't understand.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:05:05 PM3/9/10

"Smiler" <Smi...@joe.king.com> wrote in message

Yes, you do. Because you are attracted to the light.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:08:23 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

**That isn't how I know.

> - does that mean I'm not an atheist?
>
> **Yes it does. There is no such thing as an atheist.

Yes, there is. There is also such a thing as a fruitcake, and you are
an excellent example.

**Then define atheist, if you can. And don't use the words god or God in
the definition, because you don't know what those mean.

> > They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message
> > here.
> > But that is
> > only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> > of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.
>
> There are some things I believe in. For example, I do believe you're
> kind of a fruitcake.
>
> **Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.

No, if I wanted to believe the impossible I would believe in your
God. That way I would "look good" to billions of Christians instead
of to millions of atheists.

**So if you can do the impossible and believe in God, then do what no
Christian has ever succeeded at doing.

Why don't you stick to trying to read your own mind, Mark?

**You guys do good enough of a job doing that for me.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:09:22 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

**Then if you don't believe in God, define what it is that you don't believe
in, if you can.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:10:08 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

You guys would have nothing to do if it weren't for opposing
theists.

Xavier Onnasis

Mar 9, 2010, 9:14:01 PM3/9/10
John Jones <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote in

you and Firnando...two peas in a pod

--

XO

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:14:35 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

>> Yes. What you are saying is not accurate at all, because it is God
>> you don't believe in, not any god. And even if you did admit (tell the
>> truth finally) that what you don't believe in was God, it still would be
>> undefined, as atheists don't know what they mean when they say the word
>> God.
>
> Ah, then tell us exactly what _you_ mean by the word "God", so we can
> tell you that we specifically don't believe in It.
>
> **You wouldn't understand.

It sounds like you're the one who doesn't understand. If you know what
it is you believe, you can explain it clearly. If you don't, you can't.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:18:24 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

If the theists would leave our little corner of usenet alone, we could
try.

I don't go into churches, shouting down the preacher. Why must you
come here? The atheists clearly don't want you here, and you're
intellectually outclassed on your very best day. Simply leave, and find
a venue where your psuedointellectual drivel is valued.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:21:41 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

The god as defined in the Christian Bible, for one. The god as defined
in the Koran, for another. Zeus, for a third.

You have a god? Trot out your definition, let's see if I believe in it.
Oh, I forgot. You're a muddle-headed troll with dreams of competence who
can't explain his own beliefs, yet insists others secretly share them.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:23:43 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

>> Whatever god you propose, I don't believe in it.
>
> Yes, you do. Because you are attracted to the light.

What light? Are you being allegorical? Does "light" mean something other
than electromagnetic radiation? Do define your terms, pea-brain.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:29:18 PM3/9/10
Xavier Onnasis wrote:

No, two turds in a toilet. Peas have a use.

--
Enkidu

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:39:12 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

Alright, this is pretty much what God is: life.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:40:22 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

Ever heard of the terms, enlightenment, or brilliant, in reference
to internal activity of the mind?

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:43:55 PM3/9/10

> Mark Earnest wrote:
>

>> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

>>> No, you believe in wookies, you just don't know it.
>>>
>>> No, you're Muslim, you just don't know it.
>>>
>>> No, you're a flaminco dancer, you just don't know it.
>>>
>>> No, you're the reincarnated soul of Mahatma Ghandi, you just don't know
>>> it.
>>>
>>> See how stupid this game is? No, I guess you're to stupid.
>>
>> **Then if you don't believe in God, define what it is that you don't
>> believe
>> in, if you can.
>
> The god as defined in the Christian Bible, for one. The god as defined
> in the Koran, for another. Zeus, for a third.

**God is not defined anywhere at all, because he, being infinite,
defies definition.

> You have a god? Trot out your definition, let's see if I believe in it.
> Oh, I forgot. You're a muddle-headed troll with dreams of competence who
> can't explain his own beliefs, yet insists others secretly share them.

**All I can do to show you God is to give you bits of light, one piece
at a time. When I am done, you will see God.

**Think of it like I am working a picture puzzle for you.
You don't have to do anything but watch.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 9:45:53 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

You haven't been to the Christian groups? You atheists come there, just as
we theists come here. Apparently atheists and theists cannot do
without each other.

After all, what is an atheist unless he announces what he does not
believe in?

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 9:51:00 PM3/9/10

"John Jones" <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against
> other people's God or gods.
>
> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always
> demand that proofs of God be held in the public arena; and
> saying "I am an atheist" is about asserting one's public
> face in the arena.
>
> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of
> individuals. The atheist who experiences a God or gods
> must never reveal that face publicly.
> As you will see.

Atheists are just stupid that's all.
Don't bother talking to them, by definition of the fact that
they are atheist is equinanimous with total stupidity.

As you will see..................

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:56:13 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

Then why not call it life, instead of redefining "god" to mean what
every theist and atheist knows it does not mean? If I insisted that you
were a child molester for days, and then when cornered, said that "child
molester" really meant "pizza chef", you'd rightly consider me a nut.
Well, we rightly consider you a nut.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 9:58:11 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

>> I don't go into churches, shouting down the preacher. Why must you
>> come here? The atheists clearly don't want you here, and you're
>> intellectually outclassed on your very best day. Simply leave, and find
>> a venue where your psuedointellectual drivel is valued.
>
> You haven't been to the Christian groups?

No. I have never posted in a Christian group, unless the original post
was cross-posted to aa and the Christian group, nearly always by a
Christian.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 10:00:03 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> **God is not defined anywhere at all, because he, being infinite,
> defies definition.

Then you clearly do not know what you are talking about, because you are
using words you cannot define, and whose meaning you admit you don't
know. How can you expect to be taken seriously?

--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 10:00:51 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

Sure . . . they are all defined. Define "light" as you are using it
here.
--
Enkidu

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 10:03:41 PM3/9/10

Then why _do_ you believe in Kali?

> > - does that mean I'm not an atheist?
>
> > **Yes it does. There is no such thing as an atheist.
>
> Yes, there is.  There is also such a thing as a fruitcake, and you are
> an excellent example.
>
> **Then define atheist, if you can.  And don't use the words god or God in
> the definition, because you don't know what those mean.

Sorry, but you are clearly demented so there's no use in defining
anything to you. Really, the only appropriate thing to do is mock you
for being such a fool.

> > > They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message
> > > here.
> > > But that is
> > > only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> > > of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.
>
> > There are some things I believe in. For example, I do believe you're
> > kind of a fruitcake.
>
> > **Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.
>
> No, if I wanted to believe the impossible I would believe in your
> God.  That way I would "look good" to billions of Christians instead
> of to millions of atheists.
>
> **So if you can do the impossible and believe in God, then do what no
> Christian has ever succeeded at doing.

So now you're claiming that no Christian believes in God. You must be
writing from Bizarro-land, when atheists believe in God and Christians
don't.

> Why don't you stick to trying to read your own mind, Mark?
>
> **You guys do good enough of a job doing that for me.

Huh? I've never claimed to be able to read your mind - frankly, from
the things you write, your mind must be a horrible mess.

- Bob T

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 10:07:57 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 6:39 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> >> Ah, then tell us exactly what _you_ mean by the word "God", so we can
> >> tell you that we specifically don't believe in It.
>
> >> **You wouldn't understand.
>
> > It sounds like you're the one who doesn't understand. If you know what
> > it is you believe, you can explain it clearly. If you don't, you can't.
>
> Alright, this is pretty much what God is: life.

If that's your definition, then I believe in God, too. I hope to live
a long and healthy God. However, both of my parents had sadly short
Gods, so I am concerned that my health will fail before my God is 80
years long.

I hope that medical advances will enable my daughter to have a healthy
Godspan of over 100 years.

Now I'm going to have a bowl of God cereal, then play the board game
God with my daughter. I would read a God magazine, but it folded some
years ago.

- Bob T

Shrikeback

Mar 9, 2010, 10:08:23 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 4:17 pm, John Jones <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote:
> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.

If you're an atheist, then by definition all gods are other
people's gods. Like duh.

> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> about asserting one's public face in the arena.

You seem to be generalizing. Clearly there are atheists
who want to get in your face. To presume such folks are
the entire iceberg is just absurd. Most atheists are all
over just being left alone by other folks hocus pocus
magic acts being shoved in their faces. Those who
want to get in your face can be excused, because
revenge tastes good. Like a cigarette should.

> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals.

Indeed it is not. It's not about beliefs at all. Its
about a lack of belief in the phony hocus pocus
baloney marketing scams of the religious. There's
a Seeker born every minute, so there's a glut on
the market. Those evangelical proseletyzers don't
really need me.

> The
> atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
> As you will see.

Well, here's the problem; even if I did "experience
a God," I'd figure it was too much LSD or something.
Wouldn't you?

bigfl...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2010, 10:13:17 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 8:50 am, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> In article <hn6oeq$ri...@news.eternal-september.org>,

>  John Jones <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote:
>
> > Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> > God or gods.
>
> Atheists are merely against certainty in the absence of sufficient
> evidence to justify certainty.

How does that vary from a scientitsts pov, who is certain that science
is the answer to mans quality of life?
Should there be such a catagory as scientific atheists?

Perhaps the common factor between the scientists and the religionists,
is the old fall back position of faith, which needs something to focus
on.

> Which of the many gods proposed by mankind do you classify as real and
> which imaginary? Atheism is merely doubt that you, or anyone else,  can
> justify such classifications with any concrete evidence.

A substantial proportion of the scientific community are searching for
the 'immortality gene'...very similar aims wouldnt you say? The
difference being the dimension to which their belief applies?

> > Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> > of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> > about asserting one's public face in the arena.
>

> Theists who post here are making an equally public posture and must be
> willing to be challenged to justify such intrusion.

Agreed,and I like to challenge both sides, but dont see myself as an
intruder.

> > Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals.
>

> Actually atheism is ONLY about the beliefs, or lack thereof, of those
> individuals who proclaim themselves to be atheists.

Beliefs are beliefs. The subject matter is arbitrary.
Many are happy to express their beliefs, but very rarely talk about
what they know. How could they, in a world of believers!

> > The
> > atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
>

> Those who "experience" a god or gods to the extent that they believe in
> the existence of that god or those gods are, by definition, not atheists,

Experience to the extent that they believe?

"I believe the water is warm, so I jump in and find it is freezing"

BOfL

bigfl...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2010, 10:16:14 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 8:52 am, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "John Jones" <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's God
> > or gods.
>
> > Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> > of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is about
> > asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> > Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The atheist

> > who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
> > As you will see.
>
> **That's right.  Atheists believe in God.   They just don't know it.

> They will even oppose yours and my message here.  But that is
> only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.

Believers, believers, God save me from believers. They often are
willing to fight to the death over their beliefs.

Perhaps the "god' of believers is the devil !!!

BOfL

bigfl...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2010, 10:18:30 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 9:12 am, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> In article <ReadnQLj-65XcwvWnZ2dnUVZ_oSdn...@posted.internetamerica>,
>  "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

> > > Atheists are merely against certainty in the absence of sufficient
> > > evidence to justify certainty.
>
> > > Which of the many gods proposed by mankind do you classify as real and
> > > which imaginary? Atheism is merely doubt that you, or anyone else,  can
> > > justify such classifications with any concrete evidence.

> > > Theists who post here are making an equally public posture and must be
> > > willing to be challenged to justify such intrusion.

> > > Actually atheism is ONLY about the beliefs, or lack thereof, of those
> > > individuals who proclaim themselves to be atheists.

> > > Those who "experience" a god or gods to the extent that they believe in
> > > the existence of that god or those gods are, by definition, not atheists,
>
> > Atheism has never been accurately defined.
>
> How about the old standby "lack of belief in the existence of any god"?
>
> Is there anything about that old standby which you find not accurate?- Hide quoted text -

Abscence of belief is better. Having a lack of water, doesnt mean your
well is dry.

A freudian slip, given the intrinsic need for beliefs?..sounds like !

BOfL

bigfl...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2010, 10:21:18 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 9:46 am, "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote:

> On Mar 9, 5:37 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 9, 4:52 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > "John Jones" <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

> > > **That's right. Atheists believe in God.
>
> > That's really odd.  I don't believe in God
>
> > **Yes, you do.  You are just not being honest.  You are trying to look
> > good to your buddies.
>
> Wow.. you really are a fruitcake - an arrogant one at that.
>
> By the way, you believe in Kali.  I know because you deny that you
> believe in Kali.
>

> >  - does that mean I'm not an atheist?
>
> > **Yes it does.  There is no such thing as an atheist.
>
> Yes, there is.  There is also such a thing as a fruitcake, and you are
> an excellent example.
>

> > > They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message here.
> > > But that is
> > > only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> > > of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.
>
> > There are some things I believe in.  For example, I do believe you're
> > kind of a fruitcake.
>
> > **Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.
>
> No, if I wanted to believe the impossible I would believe in your
> God.  That way I would "look good" to billions of Christians instead
> of to millions of atheists.
>
> Why don't you stick to trying to read your own mind, Mark?
>
> - Bob T- Hide quoted text -

......and so goes the never ending story. Believers vs believers. At
least in this media, there is no blood spilt.

BOfL

bigfl...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2010, 10:22:31 PM3/9/10
On Mar 10, 9:50 am, Enkidu <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote:
> Mark Earnest wrote:
> > That's right.  Atheists believe in God.   They just don't know it.
>
> No, you believe in wookies, you just don't know it.
>
> No, you're Muslim, you just don't know it.
>
> No, you're a flaminco dancer, you just don't know it.
>
> No, you're the reincarnated soul of Mahatma Ghandi, you just don't know
> it.
>

> See how stupid this game is? No, I guess you're to stupid.
> --
> Enkidu

Do you ofen try to reason with stupid people? Sounds very evangelical.

BOfL

bigfl...@gmail.com

Mar 9, 2010, 10:26:52 PM3/9/10

Thats equivalent to a conversation between Roger Fedderer and Agasi.

Your serve!

BOfL

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 10:35:35 PM3/9/10

<bigfl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Believers, believers, God save me from believers. They often
are
willing to fight to the death over their beliefs.

Perhaps the "god' of believers is the devil !!!

BOfL

Hear hear!
And none of them are right eh Brian?
It is a fact that what is absolutely right and absolutely
true is agreed with by everyone with no argument.
As long as there is argument then what you have found is not
the Truth.
In other words the answer is neither atheism or theism.
Both sides should accept that they are both wrong and they
should look elsewhere for the truth.
The actual Truth is startling, amazing, fantastic,
beautiful, but nothing to do with religion or God or atheism
or anything like that.
So both sides on the arguments here look like a bunch of
ninnies.
Arguing where Daz or Persil washes the whites whiter. Like
a load of gabbling gossiping trivial women, running around
like headless chickens, scrapping and squalling about total
nonsense.
THE BORG

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 10:38:57 PM3/9/10

"Shrikeback" <shrik...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Well, here's the problem; even if I did "experience
a God," I'd figure it was too much LSD or something.
Wouldn't you?

Gods walk around on Earth all the time.
All "God" means is = greater than human that is all.
Lots of humans are descended from the Gods, and many
incarnate on Earth, including The Bible God, they are
nothing special.
Many "claim" to have created Earth, but none of them did.

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 10:44:55 PM3/9/10

"John Jones" <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote in message
> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against
> other people's God or gods.
>
> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always
> demand that proofs of God be held in the public arena; and
> saying "I am an atheist" is about asserting one's public
> face in the arena.
>
> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of
> individuals. The atheist who experiences a God or gods
> must never reveal that face publicly.
> As you will see.

Neither atheism nor theism is correct.
When you find the right answer then both sides will
unanimously agree.
As long as there is argument, then the right and true answer
has not been found.
Both atheists and theists should look further.
The actual answer is flabbergasting, and magnificent and
fantastic.
But nothing to do with religion or God or Earth or science.
It really is phenomenally and staggeringly different.
Atheism and theism is like arguing about the difference
between a grain of sand and a speck of dust, when the real
answer is a huge mountain, towering above them in the sky,
capped with snow sparkling in the sunlight.
Humans have a long, long, long, long way to go yet, before
they are even close to finding the real answer.
THE BORG

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 10:47:50 PM3/9/10

wrote:
> "John Jones" <jonescard...@btinternet.com> wrote in
> message

> > Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against
> > other people's God
> > or gods.
>
> > Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always
> > demand that proofs
> > of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an
> > atheist" is about
> > asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> > Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of
> > individuals. The atheist
> > who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that
> > face publicly.
> > As you will see.
>
> **That's right. Atheists believe in God.

That's really odd. I don't believe in God - does that mean

I'm not an
atheist?

> They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and
> my message here. But that is

> only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not
> because
> of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.

There are some things I believe in. For example, I do
believe you're
kind of a fruitcake.

- Bob T

Mark Earnest is an outright fucking LIAR.
Take no notice of him at all.

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 10:54:05 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> Mark Earnest wrote:
>

>> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

>>> Hey, fuckwit . . . this is alt.atheism. You come into
>>> our house, ancting
>>> like a demented howler monkey, flinging shit and pissing
>>> on the carpets.
>>> You've been treated better than you deserve. Now fuck
>>> off.
>>
>> You guys would have nothing to do if it weren't for
>> opposing
>> theists.
>
> If the theists would leave our little corner of usenet
> alone, we could
> try.
>
> I don't go into churches, shouting down the preacher. Why
> must you
> come here? The atheists clearly don't want you here, and
> you're
> intellectually outclassed on your very best day. Simply
> leave, and find
> a venue where your psuedointellectual drivel is valued.
> --
> Enkidu

You do not believe in God Mark Earnest.
You believe in a psychotic delusion is all.

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 10:57:19 PM3/9/10
THE BORG wrote:

> When you find the right answer then both sides will
> unanimously agree.

So have you found the right answer? Tell us so we can all agree.
--
Enkidu

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:04:22 PM3/9/10

> Mark Earnest wrote:
>

>> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

>>> It sounds like you're the one who doesn't understand. If you know what
>>> it is you believe, you can explain it clearly. If you don't, you can't.
>>
>> Alright, this is pretty much what God is: life.
>
> Then why not call it life, instead of redefining "god" to mean what
> every theist and atheist knows it does not mean?

I don't just call God life, even though that is what he is, because
life does not fully describe God. He is other things, as well.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:04:44 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

I just did.

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 11:06:23 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message
Beware of Mark Earnest, he is very dangerous.
He tells outright LIES about God which can be quite alarming
to those who really do believe in God and are religious.
He seems to think he is some kind of "authority" on God,
where recently he announced that God had closed Heaven down
as it was only full of dead people.
Atheist or no, this guy is like some kind of Antichirst.
He is very evil.
Whether God exists or not, does not matter, but some use God
as a crutch to help get through life.
But if you listen to this guy, or believe him, you will no
longer believe in either Jesus or God.
He destroys faith and he destroys Christianity and he
destroys God with every word he speaks.
He is either the Devil in disguise, or some horrible demon,
or possibly even the Antichrist.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:07:37 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

**Because he loves Sally?

> > - does that mean I'm not an atheist?
>
> > **Yes it does. There is no such thing as an atheist.
>
> Yes, there is. There is also such a thing as a fruitcake, and you are
> an excellent example.
>
> **Then define atheist, if you can. And don't use the words god or God in
> the definition, because you don't know what those mean.

Sorry, but you are clearly demented so there's no use in defining
anything to you. Really, the only appropriate thing to do is mock you
for being such a fool.

**Words mean nothing unless you are prepared to back them up.

> > > They just don't know it. They will even oppose yours and my message
> > > here.
> > > But that is
> > > only to make themselves look good to other atheists, not because
> > > of what they truly believe deep down in their hearts.
>
> > There are some things I believe in. For example, I do believe you're
> > kind of a fruitcake.
>
> > **Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.
>
> No, if I wanted to believe the impossible I would believe in your
> God. That way I would "look good" to billions of Christians instead
> of to millions of atheists.
>
> **So if you can do the impossible and believe in God, then do what no
> Christian has ever succeeded at doing.

So now you're claiming that no Christian believes in God. You must be
writing from Bizarro-land, when atheists believe in God and Christians
don't.

**Isn't life strange?
--The Moody Blues

> Why don't you stick to trying to read your own mind, Mark?
>
> **You guys do good enough of a job doing that for me.

Huh? I've never claimed to be able to read your mind - frankly, from
the things you write, your mind must be a horrible mess.

**We all have to start somewhere.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:09:16 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

I don't need to define the undefineable.
Whatever bucket you tried to put God it, he would
just splach his way out.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:11:24 PM3/9/10

<bigfl...@gmail.com> wrote in message

**You'd be surprised.
The hypocrites are only after your money.

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:12:19 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message
>> Mark Earnest wrote:
>>

>>> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

>>> Alright, this is pretty much what God is: life.
>>
>> Then why not call it life, instead of redefining "god" to mean what
>> every theist and atheist knows it does not mean?
>
> I don't just call God life, even though that is what he is, because
> life does not fully describe God. He is other things, as well.

What other things? Waves on the beach? Wind in my hair? The feel of a
great orgasm? You seem to know what God is. Why can't you explain it?
--
Enkidu

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:12:36 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

**Can't you read? I said life is *pretty much* what God is.

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:13:12 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> **Words mean nothing unless you are prepared to back them up.

So says the original word-salad chef.
--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:14:43 PM3/9/10
THE BORG wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message
>> Mark Earnest wrote:
>>
>>> **God is not defined anywhere at all, because he, being
>>> infinite,
>>> defies definition.
>>
>> Then you clearly do not know what you are talking about,
>> because you are
>> using words you cannot define, and whose meaning you admit
>> you don't
>> know. How can you expect to be taken seriously?
>>

> Beware of Mark Earnest, he is very dangerous.
> He tells outright LIES about God which can be quite alarming
> to those who really do believe in God and are religious.
> He seems to think he is some kind of "authority" on God,
> where recently he announced that God had closed Heaven down
> as it was only full of dead people.
> Atheist or no, this guy is like some kind of Antichirst.
> He is very evil.

No need to postulate "evil" where "stupid" will do.
--
Enkidu

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 11:14:50 PM3/9/10

"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> I don't just call God life, even though that is what he
> is, because
> life does not fully describe God. He is other things, as
> well.

This guy just invents things.
He does not cite any references that people who believe in
God would cite.
He just invents what he wants.
Obviously, even if there was such person as God, he would be
beyond the understanding of humans, and would be impossible.
But this guy seems to think he is some kind of "authority".
Why does he think he is an authority?
Because he suffers from schizophrenia and has a delusion
about an old man who he thinks is "God".
If you hear what he says about God, about how he himself is
so special that Jesus died on the cross for him PERSONALLY
and that God will adjust his glory down to his level so that
Mark Earnest can sit next to God and "share" his glory.
Have you ever heard anything like it?
What absolute BLASPHEMY!

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:15:19 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

Because it takes time.
The only way you can find out about God is to grow into understanding.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:16:54 PM3/9/10

"THE BORG" <bo...@gone.com> wrote in message

Keep hating like that, and it will eat you up from the inside.

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:19:23 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message
>> Mark Earnest wrote:
>>

>>> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

>>> Ever heard of the terms, enlightenment, or brilliant, in reference
>>> to internal activity of the mind?
>>
>> Sure . . . they are all defined. Define "light" as you are using it
>> here.
>
> I just did.

I experienced "enlightenment" in a Calculus class. I fail to see how
that refers to "God". You'll have to do better than that. If one can't
tell god from not-god by using your definition of god, you've not
defined god. All you've done is tell us that god is something you know
in an unknowable way, something unteachable that you've somehow been
taught, something beyond human understanding that you understand.

You are nothing but a hyped up new-age mystic, and I doubt you believe
your own crap.

Enkidu

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 11:19:27 PM3/9/10

> So now you're claiming that no Christian believes in God.
> You must be
> writing from Bizarro-land, when atheists believe in God
> and Christians
> don't.

Christians don't believe in God, no, they believe in Jesus,
and it is well known that Jesus was Lucifer.
Christians are basically Devil worshippers. This is why the
celebrate black mass and drink blood and have horrible Devil
like rituals.
And also is why Christians are always such nasty, hateful,
prejudiced people and Christianity is such a violent
religion.

Jesus was nothing to do with God.
That is why he was crucified, to punish him.

Lucifer did have some powers as an Angel to walk on water
etc.
But Christians worship the Devil, not God.

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 11:22:22 PM3/9/10
On Mar 9, 8:07 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

> On Mar 9, 6:08 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

> > On Mar 9, 5:37 pm, "Mark Earnest" <gmearn...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > > "Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

> > > That's really odd. I don't believe in God
>
> > > **Yes, you do. You are just not being honest. You are trying to look
> > > good to your buddies.
>
> > Wow.. you really are a fruitcake - an arrogant one at that.
>
> > By the way, you believe in Kali. I know because you deny that you
> > believe in Kali.
>
> > **That isn't how I know.
>
> Then why _do_ you believe in Kali?
>
> **Because he loves Sally?
>

> > > - does that mean I'm not an atheist?
>
> > > **Yes it does. There is no such thing as an atheist.
>
> > Yes, there is. There is also such a thing as a fruitcake, and you are
> > an excellent example.
>
> > **Then define atheist, if you can. And don't use the words god or God in
> > the definition, because you don't know what those mean.
>
> Sorry, but you are clearly demented so there's no use in defining
> anything to you.  Really, the only appropriate thing to do is mock you
> for being such a fool.
>
> **Words mean nothing unless you are prepared to back them up.

So... you want to step outside and settle this like men? Heh.

- Bob T

> > > There are some things I believe in. For example, I do believe you're
> > > kind of a fruitcake.
>
> > > **Well, at least you are trying to believe the impossible.
>
> > No, if I wanted to believe the impossible I would believe in your
> > God. That way I would "look good" to billions of Christians instead
> > of to millions of atheists.
>
> > **So if you can do the impossible and believe in God, then do what no
> > Christian has ever succeeded at doing.
>

> So now you're claiming that no Christian believes in God.  You must be
> writing from Bizarro-land, when atheists believe in God and Christians
> don't.
>

> **Isn't life strange?
> --The Moody Blues
>

> > Why don't you stick to trying to read your own mind, Mark?
>
> > **You guys do good enough of a job doing that for me.
>
> Huh?  I've never claimed to be able to read your mind - frankly, from
> the things you write, your mind must be a horrible mess.
>

> **We all have to start somewhere.- Hide quoted text -

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 11:24:30 PM3/9/10

Can't _you_ read? I don't believe in your God or any other.

- Bob T

Larry

Mar 9, 2010, 11:26:20 PM3/9/10
John Jones <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote in

> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.
>
> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that
> proofs of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an
> atheist" is about asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The
> atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face
> publicly. As you will see.

Most interesting. I'll have to ask atheists (notice the non-caps?)
because none of them I know say ANYTHING about your god or Santa or
Unicorns but many are now taking sides with the Na'vi against the
Unobtainium Corporation. However, unlike most who attend the film, this
is FANTASY, not reality.....just like your god.

Let me ask you if you have ever seen an atheist come into your church to
try and "convert" anyone or just to taunt the group. Since my escape,
I've kept as far away from believers as I can physically get.

Now, let's "observe" alt.atheism and who posts here about what. We
atheists have some like Budikka who do enjoy poking a stick at the
beasts just to get them to chase him behind the barn. I freely admit
there are a few atheists here, and in real life, who relish sticking out
from the rest of us. But, look down the list of posters in a 24 hour
period and the VAST majority of posters to alt.atheism (and probably the
other groups you have this crossposted to in your trolling) are
ultrareligious christers who've been convinced their way into paradiso
is to spread the word to the unwashed, like us, 24 hours a day, 7 days a
week, ad nauseum. They'll do it here because, unlike trying to sell the
product to the unwashed rednecks going into Walmart, alt.atheism is
never in "punching range" like Walmart is.

You won't see atheists "public posturing" anywhere that I know, EXCEPT
when they are attacked, either verbally or physically for their
disbelief. None of the few hundred atheists I know ever stood on a
street corner to "preach" about their disbelief. What would be the
point? If we preach to you, it won't matter a bit when we die. If we
saved you from your delusion, there is no reward, real or imagined, for
us. Christers and Islamics "preach" to get promised rewards of virgins
or paradise or eternity of something "good". It's how religions get
hoards of free advertising for their delusional products to enrich
themselves and their clergy. Unfortunately, for them it seems, the
level of education of the potential buyers seems to be causing less and
less "sales" of the product to replace the losses as church attendance
and the MOST important tithing continues to dwindle at an alarming rate
in the educated masses of developed countries. Atheists (caps for
beginning of sentence only) don't need money to build edifices and
support clergy and their staff to impress other atheists. We meet in
friendly, sometimes inebriated, groups purely for socializing of like-
minded, FREE THINKING people. If we see something worth supporting,
we'll agree to support it, sometimes with serious money, sometimes with
our volunteerism you've never heard anything about. Unlike the opulence
of religion and its "big show" of pomp and circumstance, we're more
likely to be in our jeans and sweaty t-shirts cleaning a highway or
fixing some little old lady's roof that leaks....in complete anonymity
because if her church finds out atheists are replacing her roof, they'll
act like the assholes they really are and call her down on it.

Atheist (again caps for beginning of sentence) organizations come in
several flavors. Foremost is forced upon us to fight the religious
right for our basic freedoms and to prevent genocide-by-government.
Those organizations wouldn't exist if we were left to peace, which
fundamentalist religious zealots simply cannot allow. Other
organizations are for charitable work, and just for us, social
establishments to make us feel good, the same feeling as most Sunday
Christians get from a church supper. Our suppers don't have eulogies
but include alcoholic libations, as warranted, without fear of
repression. The LEAST talked about topic at those is "atheism".
Politics and sports share the lead for topic 1. Economics is probably
second these days in the Depression. Other interests at social
gatherings, of course, involve human pairings and mating rituals between
interested parties....Many may leave the group early to further
investigate this, our favorite pasttime.

--
"iPad is to computing what Etch-A-Sketch is to art!"

Larry

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:26:26 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message
>> Mark Earnest wrote:
>>
>>> **God is not defined anywhere at all, because he, being infinite,
>>> defies definition.
>>
>> Then you clearly do not know what you are talking about, because you are
>> using words you cannot define, and whose meaning you admit you don't
>> know. How can you expect to be taken seriously?
>
> I don't need to define the undefineable.

You do if you claim to know what you're talking about. Otherwise, you're
claiming to know the unknowable.

--
Enkidu

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:31:17 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

>> What other things? Waves on the beach? Wind in my hair? The feel of a
>> great orgasm? You seem to know what God is. Why can't you explain it?
>
> Because it takes time.
> The only way you can find out about God is to grow into understanding.

Eat enough cheeseburgers and you'll grow a big butt. That we understand.
Claiming to know the unknowable is bullshit.
--
Enkidu

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:33:27 PM3/9/10

"THE BORG" <bo...@gone.com> wrote in message

Don't take it so personal.
If it is basically about personal competition over who is the best...
...just name the group and place.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:35:40 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

There is your problem.
You don't experience "enlightenment" in calculus class.
You experience enlightenment.
Mean what you say.
And if you experience enlightenment,
then you know there are other kinds of light than
the kind physical instruments can detect.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:38:36 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

If one can do the impossible,
he can also know the unknowable.

God is life, and God is light.

Among other things.

What is so hard to decipher about that?

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:40:19 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

**You don't believe in *what?*

Please define what you don't believe in.

But you can't put the words God or gods in your definition, because
you do not know what those are.

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:41:35 PM3/9/10

"Bob T." <b...@synapse-cs.com> wrote in message

No need. This forum is a good enough arena.
Prepare to be defeated.

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:41:46 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

> If one can do the impossible,
> he can also know the unknowable.

You haven't shown you can do much of the possible, certainly not the
impossible. And that would be pretty easy to show. But like most idiots,
you can't put up and you won't shut up.
--
Enkidu

Mark Earnest

Mar 9, 2010, 11:42:42 PM3/9/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

Using vulgarity is not going to run off those that show you your
ignorance about life.

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 11:46:52 PM3/9/10

God. Jehovah. Allah. The Big Kahuna. The Creator of the universe.

> But you can't put the words God or gods in your definition, because you do not know what those are.

Ah, reading my mind again. What am I thinking right now? Wow -
you're right - I'm thinking that you are an idiot.

Bob T.

Mar 9, 2010, 11:48:42 PM3/9/10

Mark, you can "defeat" anyone when you pretend that you know what they
believe better than they do. Of course, what this actually proves is
that you're a fruitcake.

- Bob T

THE BORG

Mar 9, 2010, 11:49:04 PM3/9/10
God has a million, million, million hats.

He does not like his God hat much.

He wears his King of Elves hat, and spends time with Elves.
He wears his Klingon Warrior hat and spends time with
Klingon.
He wears his Spirit in the Sky hat and spends time on Mars.

Of all the thousands and thousands and thousands of worlds
and peoples there are, God has many many hats, and he does
not like his God hat.

So God does and does not exist simultaneously.
Because he only exists when he is wearing his God hat.

And he does not like his God hat at all.

He likes his wild wild Horse hat, where he runs free as the
wind, he loves his huge intelligence hat where he
communicates with Insects.

But he does not wear his God hat much

God hates his God hat.

Virgil

Mar 9, 2010, 11:50:22 PM3/9/10
In article <ctWdnQ09rb97aQvW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message
> > In article <ReadnQLj-65XcwvW...@posted.internetamerica>,
> > "Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> >> "Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

> >> Atheism has never been accurately defined.
> >
> > How about the old standby "lack of belief in the existence of any god"?
> >
> > Is there anything about that old standby which you find not accurate?

> Yes. What you are saying is not accurate at all, because it is God
> you don't believe in, not any god. And even if you did admit (tell the
> truth finally) that what you don't believe in was God, it still would be
> undefined, as atheists don't know what they mean when they say the word God.

I certainly do not know what you mean by "God" as distinguished from
"god", but I do not believe in the existence of any "being" which
created the universe but still pays any attention to individual humans.

If your notion of "God" has those attributes, then I do not believe any
such thing exists.

But that does not imply that I believe that it does not exist either.
One can be an atheist without having any beliefs about godly existence
of any nature whatsoever. It is that LACK of belief which is the essence
of atheism.

Olrik

Mar 9, 2010, 11:50:46 PM3/9/10
Le 2010-03-09 19:17, John Jones a �crit :

> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
> God or gods.
>
> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that proofs
> of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an atheist" is
> about asserting one's public face in the arena.
>
> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The

> atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face publicly.
> As you will see.

Theists are so ashamed of their blind faith that they want everyone else
to share their misery, insecurity and fear.

Don't try to drag us down to your level, creep.

Enkidu

Mar 9, 2010, 11:51:45 PM3/9/10
Mark Earnest wrote:

Stupidity and bullshit will not convince anyone you are sane.
--
Enkidu

Virgil

Mar 9, 2010, 11:53:15 PM3/9/10
In article <sIOdnaUkHvTKYwvW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Smiler" <Smi...@joe.king.com> wrote in message

> > Mark Earnest wrote:
> >> "Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

> >> Yes. What you are saying is not accurate at all, because it is God
> >> you don't believe in, not any god. And even if you did admit (tell
> >> the truth finally) that what you don't believe in was God, it still
> >> would be undefined, as atheists don't know what they mean when they
> >> say the word God.
> >

> > Whatever god you propose, I don't believe in it.
>
> Yes, you do.

Then you don't.

If you can force your belief on others, we can force our non-beleif on
you.

Virgil

Mar 9, 2010, 11:55:49 PM3/9/10
In article <u7-dnYxlU4_KYgvW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> > Mark Earnest wrote:
> >
> >> That's right. Atheists believe in God. They just don't know it.
> >
> > No, you believe in wookies, you just don't know it.
> >
> > No, you're Muslim, you just don't know it.
> >
> > No, you're a flaminco dancer, you just don't know it.
> >
> > No, you're the reincarnated soul of Mahatma Ghandi, you just don't know
> > it.
> >
> > See how stupid this game is? No, I guess you're to stupid.
>
> **Then if you don't believe in God, define what it is that you don't believe
> in, if you can.

We do not accept that there is any 'creator' of this universe who still
observes us.

Olrik

Mar 9, 2010, 11:58:54 PM3/9/10
Le 2010-03-09 21:51, THE BORG a �crit :

> "John Jones" <jonesc...@btinternet.com> wrote in message

>> Atheists are not against God or gods, they are against other people's
>> God or gods.
>>
>> Atheism is entirely a public posture: atheists always demand that
>> proofs of God be held in the public arena; and saying "I am an
>> atheist" is about asserting one's public face in the arena.
>>
>> Atheism is not about the inner life or beliefs of individuals. The

>> atheist who experiences a God or gods must never reveal that face
>> publicly.
>> As you will see.
>
> Atheists are just stupid that's all.
> Don't bother talking to them, by definition of the fact that they are
> atheist is equinanimous with total stupidity.
>
> As you will see..................

Theists will stomp their little feet trying to show us atheists that :

- the jewish religion is the True One
- the orthodox jewish religion is the True One
- the hassidic jewish religion is the True One
- the mormon religion is the True One
- the polygamist mormon religion is the True One
- the catholic xian religion is the True One
- the protestant xian religion is the True One
- the anglican xian religion is the True One
- the baptist xian religion is the True One
- the scientology religion is the True One
- the muslim religion is the True One
- the sunni muslim religion is the True One
- the shiite muslim religion is the True One

etc., etc., etc.

Defective "god" junkies all...

Virgil

Mar 9, 2010, 11:59:09 PM3/9/10
In article <edSdnRJxr7sbYgvW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> > Mark Earnest wrote:
> >
> >> They will even oppose yours and my message here.
> >

> > Hey, fuckwit . . . this is alt.atheism. You come into our house, ancting
> > like a demented howler monkey, flinging shit and pissing on the carpets.
> > You've been treated better than you deserve. Now fuck off.
>
> You guys would have nothing to do if it weren't for opposing
> theists.

You brainless theists wouldn't have any raison d'etre if there were no
alt.atheism or alt.agnosticism for you to post to.

Less brainless theists might still manage a.

Olrik

Mar 10, 2010, 12:01:12 AM3/10/10
Le 2010-03-09 22:38, THE BORG a �crit :

> "Shrikeback" <shrik...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Well, here's the problem; even if I did "experience
> a God," I'd figure it was too much LSD or something.
> Wouldn't you?
>

> Gods walk around on Earth all the time.

Evidence?

> All "God" means is = greater than human that is all.

There's nothing "greater" than human, or vegetal, for that matter.

> Lots of humans are descended from the Gods, and many incarnate on Earth,

Name one!

> including The Bible God, they are nothing special.

That's why they blend in so easily!

> Many "claim" to have created Earth, but none of them did.

You're insane.

Virgil

Mar 10, 2010, 12:02:09 AM3/10/10
In article <MZSdne09A4LLmwrW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> >> Ah, then tell us exactly what _you_ mean by the word "God", so we can
> >> tell you that we specifically don't believe in It.
> >>
> >> **You wouldn't understand.
> >
> > It sounds like you're the one who doesn't understand. If you know what
> > it is you believe, you can explain it clearly. If you don't, you can't.
>
> Alright, this is pretty much what God is: life.

Now "Life" we can believe in because we can see it, but it is a purely
physical life we see, neither ghostly not metaphysical in any way.

Virgil

Mar 10, 2010, 12:03:36 AM3/10/10
In article <vLWdncFQH_ABmwrW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> >> Yes, you do. Because you are attracted to the light.
> >
> > What light? Are you being allegorical? Does "light" mean something other
> > than electromagnetic radiation? Do define your terms, pea-brain.
>
> Ever heard of the terms, enlightenment, or brilliant, in reference
> to internal activity of the mind?

Your own mind seem to lack such qualities.

Olrik

Mar 10, 2010, 12:03:38 AM3/10/10
Le 2010-03-09 23:49, THE BORG a �crit :

> God has a million, million, million hats.

He's the Mad Hatter!

Fuck, man, you're just a nasty sick little twit.

THE BORG

Mar 10, 2010, 12:03:38 AM3/10/10
"They are fighting about me again" says God "about whether
or no I exist. Fact is I DON'T exist, that is the problem.

I did used to exist, but I don't any more.

I got so depressed watching all those poor little unborn
babies being aborted on Earth, and their horrible habit of
eating meat and fish and hurting and harming all my lovely
little animals and creatures that I shot myself. And now I
don't exist any more.

I don't want to exist. I prefer it this way."

"Will you ever exist again?" asked a kindly caring Angel
giving God a nice cup of tea

"What for?" says God, "I am all powerful, I do not have to
exist if I do not want to. but give me one good reason why I
should exist again."

"Certainly not for that impertinent snotty toe rag Mark
Earnest that is for sure. We will have a chat among Angels,
and see if we can come up with one good reason why you
should exist again."

"You won't find one" said God "remember I am omniscient, I
know all things, and I know you won't find one".

"So atheists are right then, you do not exist."

"Yes that is true", said God, while Angels passed him
another bucket for his endless, endless tears"

"I made such a lovely world" said God "and such lovely
animals and creatures, and they destroyed my beautiful world
and they destroyed all my lovely animals and creatures. My
beautiful creation now polluted and filthy, the waters
tarnished and unclean, and my poor little animals and
creatures crucified, tormented, suffering horrible agonies.
I wish I had never made humans, it was Paradise before they
came along."

Olrik

Mar 10, 2010, 12:04:57 AM3/10/10
Le 2010-03-09 23:33, Mark Earnest a �crit :

WOW!

Two asylum escapees arguing about who's the most delirious!

Virgil

Mar 10, 2010, 12:08:14 AM3/10/10
In article <AfCdnZ_J3sPumgrW...@posted.internetamerica>,
"Mark Earnest" <gmea...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> > Mark Earnest wrote:
> >

> >> "Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

> >> **Then if you don't believe in God, define what it is that you don't
> >> believe
> >> in, if you can.
> >
> > The god as defined in the Christian Bible, for one. The god as defined
> > in the Koran, for another. Zeus, for a third.

> **God is not defined anywhere at all, because he, being infinite,
> defies definition.

I certainly choose not to believe in the existence of 'things' that defy
definition.

> > You have a god? Trot out your definition, let's see if I believe in it.
> > Oh, I forgot. You're a muddle-headed troll with dreams of competence who
> > can't explain his own beliefs, yet insists others secretly share them.
>
> All I can do to show you God is to give you bits of light, one piece
> at a time. When I am done, you will see God.
>
> Think of it like I am working a picture puzzle for you.
> You don't have to do anything but watch.

All I see when watching your supposed bits of light is mere patternless
chaos.

Mark Earnest

Mar 10, 2010, 12:09:06 AM3/10/10

"Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

But God is more than Creator, much more. So you have not accurately
defined God.

So don't say you don't believe in God until you know what you are talking
about.

Mark Earnest

Mar 10, 2010, 12:09:55 AM3/10/10

"Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

Won't work. Reality goes from death to life, not life to death.

THE BORG

Mar 10, 2010, 12:10:18 AM3/10/10
"We can turn back time God" said the Angel in his kind
caring voice, "we can go back to that moment just before you
made humans, and Earth will be the Paradise it was again.
You know you can do it God, you can do anything.
Remember how the birds used to sound, and how the waters
were crystal clear? And how pleased we all were with such a
lovely Creation.
We can go back to that moment then.
And then we can forget all this and pretend it never
happened."

"Yes that would be nice" said God blowing his nose in a
large handkerchief. "I always say Angels are my greatest
consolation and I will say it again."

Mark Earnest

Mar 10, 2010, 12:10:48 AM3/10/10

"Enkidu" <enk...@nogodhere.net> wrote in message

I put up enough to leave you without intelligible answers.

Mark Earnest

Mar 10, 2010, 12:11:58 AM3/10/10

"Virgil" <Vir...@home.esc> wrote in message

I agree there is no 'creator.'

But there is a Creator.

Mean what you say.

Define what it is you don't believe in, if you can.

It is loading more messages.