David Tennant's Tenancy is Over!

Budikka666

Jan 2, 2010, 1:12:50 PM1/2/10
David Tennant is longer the Tenant of the TARDIS.

I manage to get a look at the final episode of the now concluded
current season today. It wasn't bad; not a massive spectacle like
"Journey's End" at the end of the fourth season, but then nothing
could top that, so Russell Davies went small and personal for this one
before he hands the reins over to Steven Moffat, and it worked pretty
well if you ignore the sad lack of appreciation for the physics of
planetary motion!

Matt Smith put in his expected appearance as the tenth doctor's
regenerated eleventh incarnation. There's a teaser on YouTube showing
upcoming scenes from his first season (due to begin in the spring).
He looks like he can handle the rôle.

I was a bit disappointed they didn't do more with John Simm, or have
him reveal more, and found the "unleashing of the Time Lords" to be
rather odd, especially in the context in which it was shown, but
that's not a big deal.

I'm not going to post spoilers, but there are some interesting
revelations and conclusions tossed in. The tenth doctor's
regeneration takes a lot longer than usual so he gets to make a couple
of trips in the TARDIS to take care of some last minute business. And
here's a teaser: the four knocks which the doctor expected, which
would herald his death? They're not the ones coming from the Master!
Am I evil or what?

I was very impressed by Bernard Cribbins's acting. He's now been the
assistant to two different doctors, one from one of the Doctor Who
movies from the sixties, when Peter Cushing was the Doctor, and now
with David Tennant as a different character.

We also get to see Jack Harkness Martha Jones, Donna Noble, Sylvia
Noble, Luke Smith, Mickey Smith, Sarah-Jane Smith, Jackie Tyler, and
Rose Tyler however briefly each might appear, so we get to say goodbye
to the familiar crew from Tennant's tenancy, which is nice.

Not the best episode, but certainly an acceptable send-off. Now that
that's all done with, we can look forward to what Steven Moffat has in
store for the new season. And oh yes, the weeping Angels will return!

Budikka

Christopher A. Lee

Jan 2, 2010, 2:54:14 PM1/2/10
On Sat, 2 Jan 2010 10:12:50 -0800 (PST), Budikka666
<budi...@netscape.net> wrote:

>David Tennant is longer the Tenant of the TARDIS.
>
>I manage to get a look at the final episode of the now concluded
>current season today. It wasn't bad; not a massive spectacle like
>"Journey's End" at the end of the fourth season, but then nothing
>could top that, so Russell Davies went small and personal for this one
>before he hands the reins over to Steven Moffat, and it worked pretty
>well if you ignore the sad lack of appreciation for the physics of
>planetary motion!
>
>Matt Smith put in his expected appearance as the tenth doctor's
>regenerated eleventh incarnation. There's a teaser on YouTube showing
>upcoming scenes from his first season (due to begin in the spring).

>He looks like he can handle the r�le.

>I was a bit disappointed they didn't do more with John Simm, or have
>him reveal more, and found the "unleashing of the Time Lords" to be
>rather odd, especially in the context in which it was shown, but
>that's not a big deal.

I haven't really liked most of the second generation Doctor Who
because I don't like the CGI stuff. The charm of the original was the
cheesy low budget sets and costumes. And some of the stuff has been
too contrived and too "big".

My all time favourite series was Planet of Fire with Peter Davison as
the Doctor. It was a wonderful commentary on the religious mind with
the priest of Logar never losing his faith even though his god turned
out to be a pace suit, and walking into the fire to die saying "you'll
never understand". Peri in a bikini was a bonus!

Favourite Doctor was John Pertwee who was a popular radio comedian in
shows like The Navy Lark and a small part player in the Carry on
movies before that.

>I'm not going to post spoilers, but there are some interesting
>revelations and conclusions tossed in. The tenth doctor's
>regeneration takes a lot longer than usual so he gets to make a couple
>of trips in the TARDIS to take care of some last minute business. And
>here's a teaser: the four knocks which the doctor expected, which
>would herald his death? They're not the ones coming from the Master!
>Am I evil or what?
>
>I was very impressed by Bernard Cribbins's acting. He's now been the
>assistant to two different doctors, one from one of the Doctor Who
>movies from the sixties, when Peter Cushing was the Doctor, and now
>with David Tennant as a different character.

I watched one of the earlier Foyle's War episodes recently. A Lesson
In Murder (2002), and realised that two of the characters were played
by David Tennant as a consciencious objector a few years before he
became the Doctor, and Sophie Myles (Madame de Pompadour in The Girl
In The Fireplace). You get these moments when you look at older
programs or movies before people get famous. First time around they
had just been a kid avoiding the draft and a pretty girl.

Bernard Cribbins has been around British Comedy for decades.

The Hole In The Ground:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGk4AKOwJbc

Mike Jones

Jan 2, 2010, 4:39:19 PM1/2/10
Responding to Budikka666:

> David Tennant is longer the Tenant of the TARDIS.

Yeah! Thank **** for that!

How the **** a guy who permanently looks like a chicken being goosed
gained the fan-base that guy did is beyond me!

Maybe we'll finally see somebody who doesn't look as if his meds just ran
out picking up the job now? Maybe David McCann again?

--
*=( http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/
*=( For all your UK news needs.

Andre Lieven

Jan 2, 2010, 5:29:46 PM1/2/10
On Jan 2, 2:54 pm, Christopher A. Lee <ca...@optonline.net> wrote:

> Favourite Doctor was John Pertwee who was a popular radio comedian
> in shows like The Navy Lark and a small part player in the Carry on
> movies before that.

He also narrowly missed dying in the worst surface ship loss
of the Royal Navy in WW2:

"Pertwee was an officer in the Royal Navy, spending some time working
in
naval intelligence during the Second World War. He was a crew member
of
HMS Hood and was transferred off the ship shortly before she was
sunk,
losing all but three men. It was during his time in the Navy that Jon
woke
up one morning after a drunken night out while in port to find a
tattoo on
his right arm, which was occasionally seen during his time in Doctor
Who."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Pertwee

Andre

Alex W

Jan 2, 2010, 9:04:37 PM1/2/10
On Sat, 02 Jan 2010 21:39:19 GMT, Mike Jones wrote:

> Responding to Budikka666:
>
>> David Tennant is longer the Tenant of the TARDIS.
>

> Yeah! Thank **** for that!
>
> How the **** a guy who permanently looks like a chicken being goosed
> gained the fan-base that guy did is beyond me!

Easy: he can act.

His Hamlet was really quite excellent.

Lord Calvert

Jan 2, 2010, 9:42:16 PM1/2/10
On Jan 2, 2:54 pm, Christopher A. Lee <ca...@optonline.net> wrote:

> I watched one of the earlier Foyle's War episodes recently. A Lesson
> In Murder (2002), and realised that two of the characters were played
> by David Tennant as a consciencious objector a few years before he
> became the Doctor, and Sophie Myles (Madame de Pompadour in The Girl
> In The Fireplace). You get these moments when you look at older
> programs or movies before people get famous.

I'm a big fan of the Sharpe movies and I think the same thing whenever
I watch Sharpe's Eagle (with Daniel Craig), Sharpe's Company (with
Marc Warren), Sharpe's Enemy (with Elizabeth Hurley), Sharpe's Honour
(with Alice Krige), Sharpe's Sword (with Emily Mortimer and James
Purefoy), Sharpe's Mission (with Mark Strong), Sharpe's Revenge and
Sharpe's Justice (with Alexis Denisof) and Sharpe's Waterloo (with
Denisof and Paul Bettany). That series was a tremendous training
ground for some pretty damn fine actors...and Assumpta Serna is still
damned hot.

Rich Goranson
Amherst, NY, USA
aa#MCMXCIX, a-vet#1
EAC Department of Paranormal Phycology

Don Martin

Jan 3, 2010, 7:18:21 AM1/3/10

A cartoon I enjoy is Pab Sungenis' "The New Adventures of Queen Victoria," that
makes brilliant use of clip art. Today's is on this topic:

http://www.gocomics.com/comic_page/explore/117356?page=7

-

Fidei defensor (Hon. Antipodean)
The Squeeky Wheel: http://home.comcast.net/~drdonmartin/

Mike Jones

Jan 3, 2010, 8:37:44 AM1/3/10
Responding to Alex W:

If you're convinced by a chronically over acting bug-eyed anorexic poseur
who's only talent is goosed chicken impressions that is.

Whassat! PEURK!

;\

Budikka666

Jan 3, 2010, 11:11:40 PM1/3/10
On Jan 2, 3:39 pm, Mike Jones <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote:
> Responding to Budikka666:
>
> > David Tennant is longer the Tenant of the TARDIS.
>
> Yeah! Thank **** for that!
>
> How the **** a guy who permanently looks like a chicken being goosed
> gained the fan-base that guy did is beyond me!
>
> Maybe we'll finally see somebody who doesn't look as if his meds just ran
> out picking up the job now? Maybe David McCann again?

David McCann? Do you mean Paul McGann?

The new Doc is Matt Smith, who curiously appeared with Billie piper in
the BBC's version of Phillip Pullman's "The Ruby in the Smoke".

I have mixed feelings about Tennant. I liked him generally speaking
(better than his predecessor at any rate), but there were times he
went too far over the top. OTOH, you can't argue argue with his
popularity. He's seriously rivaling Tom Baker who's been the top
favorite for years. Matt Smith has some bog shoes to fill.

Budikka

Budikka666

Jan 3, 2010, 11:14:40 PM1/3/10
On Jan 2, 8:42 pm, Lord Calvert <CalvertdeG...@msn.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 2:54 pm, Christopher A. Lee <ca...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> > I watched one of the earlier Foyle's War episodes recently. A Lesson
> > In Murder (2002), and realised that two of the characters were played
> > by David Tennant as a consciencious objector a few years before he
> > became theDoctor, and Sophie Myles (Madame de Pompadour in The Girl

> > In The Fireplace). You get these moments when you look at older
> > programs or movies before people get famous.
>
> I'm a big fan of the Sharpe movies and I think the same thing whenever
> I watch Sharpe's Eagle (with Daniel Craig), Sharpe's Company (with
> Marc Warren), Sharpe's Enemy (with Elizabeth Hurley), Sharpe's Honour
> (with Alice Krige), Sharpe's Sword (with Emily Mortimer and James
> Purefoy), Sharpe's Mission (with Mark Strong), Sharpe's Revenge and
> Sharpe's Justice (with Alexis Denisof) and Sharpe's Waterloo (with
> Denisof and Paul Bettany). That series was a tremendous training
> ground for some pretty damn fine actors...and Assumpta Serna is still
> damned hot.
>
> Rich Goranson
> Amherst, NY, USA
> aa#MCMXCIX, a-vet#1
> EAC Department of Paranormal Phycology

I've never heard of "the Sharpe movies" or of Foyle's War. I guess I
have some research to do!

Budikka

Lord Calvert

Jan 3, 2010, 11:22:15 PM1/3/10

The Sharpe series of films are based on the series of novels by
Bernard Cornwell about an unconventional British Rifle Officer named
Richard Sharpe who was raised from the ranks and is set during the
Napoleonic Wars (and occasionally before and after). A series of 14
made-for-tv films were done in the mid-90s starring Sean Bean in the
title role, and two additional films set in India were made in 2006
and 2008.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)

Christopher A. Lee

Jan 4, 2010, 3:02:43 AM1/4/10

Foyle's War is a police detective series set in England's South coast
during WW2 with a background of actual events. They took a lot of
trouble to get as much right as they could.

Thoroughly recommended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foyle's_War

Mike Jones

Jan 4, 2010, 2:45:13 PM1/4/10
Responding to Budikka666:

Yup, I meant Paul McGann.

BTW: /Bog/ shoes? ;)

Budikka666

Jan 4, 2010, 5:10:52 PM1/4/10

A sharp shooter, huh? ; )

> who was raised from the ranks and is set during the
> Napoleonic Wars (and occasionally before and after). A series of 14
> made-for-tv films were done in the mid-90s starring Sean Bean in the
> title role, and two additional films set in India were made in 2006
> and 2008.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharpe_(TV_series)
>
> Rich Goranson
> Amherst, NY, USA
> aa#MCMXCIX, a-vet#1
> EAC Department of Paranormal Phycology

Kewl! It's about time Sean Bean got a decent role instead of playing
cowardly and deviant types! I'll see if I can get a look at one or
two of those.

Budikka

Budikka666

Jan 4, 2010, 5:11:38 PM1/4/10

Obviously this is another one to add to an ever-growing and never to
be completed list!

Thanks for the info.

Budikka

Budikka666

Jan 4, 2010, 5:14:00 PM1/4/10
On Jan 4, 1:45 pm, Mike Jones <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote:
> Responding to Budikka666:
>

> > On Jan 2, 3:39 pm, Mike Jones <N...@Arizona.Bay> wrote:
> >> Responding to Budikka666:

> >> Yeah! Thank **** for that!
>
> >> How the **** a guy who permanently looks like a chicken being goosed
> >> gained the fan-base that guy did is beyond me!
>
> >> Maybe we'll finally see somebody who doesn't look as if his meds just
> >> ran out picking up the job now? Maybe David McCann again?
>
> > David McCann?  Do you mean Paul McGann?
>
> > The new Doc is Matt Smith, who curiously appeared with Billie piper in
> > the BBC's version of Phillip Pullman's "The Ruby in the Smoke".
>
> > I have mixed feelings about Tennant.  I liked him generally speaking
> > (better than his predecessor at any rate), but there were times he went
> > too far over the top.  OTOH, you can't argue argue with his popularity.
> > He's seriously rivaling Tom Baker who's been the top favorite for years.
> >  Matt Smith has some bog shoes to fill.
>
> > Budikka
>
> Yup, I meant Paul McGann.
>
> BTW: /Bog/ shoes?  ;)

In the words of Zoot: Oh Shit!

LoL! You know what I meant!

Budikka

Mike Jones

Jan 5, 2010, 6:11:10 AM1/5/10
Responding to Budikka666:

Les Hellawell

Jan 5, 2010, 6:39:58 AM1/5/10

The Sharpe series is regularly shown on the repeat channels. For a
while the History channel seemed to show nothing else.

He Started making Sharpe in 93 and had made a few episodes before he
did Golden Eye and Lord of The Rings. His last Sharpe was in 2008.

One episode was made round these 'ere parts during the times when
theer was trouble at t'mills after the Napoleonic Wars ended. He was
sent to control the Luddite riots and he found himself up against his
own brother as one of the agitators.

The theme tune of the series played at the end
as they march into the distance:

Hark! now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldiers Gentlemen,
Then let us list, and march I say,
Over the Hills and far away;

Chorus:
Over the Hills and o'er the Main,
To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
King George commands, and we'll obey,
Over the Hills and far away.

For all true Soldiers Gentlemen,
Then let us list, and march I say,
Over the Hills and far away;

Some pics of Sharpe with the closing theme
http://www.themightybean.com/sharpetrivia.htm

The singer, as well as being a actor is also a noted
English folksinger.

--
Les Hellawell
Greetings from: YORKSHIRE

Les Hellawell

Jan 5, 2010, 6:44:18 AM1/5/10

Have you seen the David Jason detective series, "Frost"?

That was made locally here, in and around Leeds. It is very
popular and gets repeated quite a lot.

Lord Calvert

Jan 5, 2010, 10:31:59 AM1/5/10

I can't watch Frost, listen to Sir David's voice and not want him to
say, "Penfold, SHUSH!"

Les Hellawell

Jan 5, 2010, 11:52:48 AM1/5/10

I never took to his comedy shows but liked him as frost.

Budikka666

Jan 5, 2010, 1:46:23 PM1/5/10

What *kind* of trouble?

> after the Napoleonic Wars ended. He was
> sent to control the Luddite riots and he found himself up against his
> own brother as one of the agitators.
>
> The theme tune of the series played at the end
> as they march into the distance:
>
> Hark! now the Drums beat up again,
> For all true Soldiers Gentlemen,
> Then let us list, and march I say,
> Over the Hills and far away;
>
> Chorus:
> Over the Hills and o'er the Main,
> To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
> King George  commands, and we'll obey,
> Over the Hills and far away.
>
> For all true Soldiers Gentlemen,
> Then let us list, and march I say,
> Over the Hills and far away;
>

> Some pics of Sharpe with the closing themehttp://www.themightybean.com/sharpetrivia.htm

> The singer, as well as being a actor is also a noted
> English folksinger.

I didn't expect the Spanish Influenza!

Budikka

Budikka666

Jan 5, 2010, 1:48:46 PM1/5/10

Nope. Don't go loading me up with so much stuff I'll never get it all
watched!!

I've enjoyed Jason in some really old shows such as "Do Not Adjust
Your Set" I believe it's called, but I haven't heard anything of him
recently. I'll look it up.

Budikka

Les Hellawell

Jan 5, 2010, 2:06:51 PM1/5/10

It's a long story but basically it set during the Luddite* riots
during the early Industrial Revolution in the old West Riding of
Yorkshire just after the war is ended, where Sharp comes from (Bean is
from South Yorkshire) and, in the story corruption by the mill owners
and Local Magistrate (IIRC)

* Check Wikkipedia.
also see 'Hand loom weavers'

>> after the Napoleonic Wars ended. He was
>> sent to control the Luddite riots and he found himself up against his
>> own brother as one of the agitators.
>>
>> The theme tune of the series played at the end
>> as they march into the distance:
>>
>> Hark! now the Drums beat up again,
>> For all true Soldiers Gentlemen,
>> Then let us list, and march I say,
>> Over the Hills and far away;
>>
>> Chorus:
>> Over the Hills and o'er the Main,
>> To Flanders, Portugal and Spain,
>> King George �commands, and we'll obey,
>> Over the Hills and far away.
>>
>> For all true Soldiers Gentlemen,
>> Then let us list, and march I say,
>> Over the Hills and far away;
>>
>> Some pics of Sharpe with the closing themehttp://www.themightybean.com/sharpetrivia.htm
>>
>> The singer, as well as being a actor is also a noted
>> English folksinger.
>
>I didn't expect the Spanish Influenza!

The Sharpe series is manly set in Spain.

>Budikka

Les Hellawell

Jan 5, 2010, 2:17:00 PM1/5/10
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 19:06:51 +0000, Les Hellawell
<l...@fakeaddress.com> wrote:

>On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 10:46:23 -0800 (PST), Budikka666
><budi...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
>>On Jan 5, 5:39�am, Les Hellawell <l...@fakeaddress.com> wrote:
>>> On Mon, 4 Jan 2010 14:10:52 -0800 (PST), Budikka666

>>> He Started making Sharpe in 93 and had made a few episodes before he

>>> did Golden Eye and Lord of The Rings. His last Sharpe was in 2008.
>>>
>>> One episode was made round these 'ere parts during the times when
>>> theer was trouble at t'mills
>>
>>What *kind* of trouble?
>
>It's a long story but basically it set during the Luddite* riots
>during the early Industrial Revolution in the old West Riding of
>Yorkshire just after the war is ended, where Sharp comes from (Bean is
>from South Yorkshire) and, in the story corruption by the mill owners
>and Local Magistrate (IIRC)

Better synposis here
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120109/

Budikka666

Jan 6, 2010, 5:54:24 AM1/6/10

"Manly" set in Spain! I'd better not miss that, then! ; )

Seriously I found some of these on Netflix, so I'm going to get one or
two and take a look.

Budikka

Les Hellawell

Jan 6, 2010, 7:51:51 AM1/6/10