Interview With Christopher Hitchens Featured on Why Evolution is true

Budikka666

Jul 30, 2010, 6:05:47 PM7/30/10

ilbe...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2010, 6:12:51 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
> http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
>
> Budikka

There isnt a shred of evidence for macro evolution. Not a shred.
Thats why its called an unsupported THEORY. Abiogenesis has to be
proven first before macro evolution can even be considered. The
worlds foremost ATHEIST Biologist and co founder of the DNA
structure, Dr. Francis Crick, affirmed the probability of
abiogenesis is about 10x40,000 th power chance. This is why no one
is really an atheist and hence, it is a non validated, non tenable
secular religion of willful self deciet . I once followed the
deciet for 10 adult years until I had to abandon the willful self
deceit because i didnt want God interfering with my lifesytle
choices . You can change too and God will help you in the process.

ilbe...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2010, 6:19:09 PM7/30/10

Nobodys got this kind of silly religious faith in naturalism . Not
even Hitchens Dawkins, or yourself :
http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/did-life-form-by-accident.htm
. (This is one time that you should believe what this atheist Biolgist
has to say in the site) . Id like to suggest that as an atheist, you
dont want God to exist because you dont want to be owned by him
thereby making you morally accountable for the way you use foul and
vile language in here in addition to lifestyle choices. I mean no
offense, because i used to do the same thing when i wanted to be an
'atheist' . Regards.

haiku jones

Jul 30, 2010, 6:28:00 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 3:12 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
>
> > Budikka
>
> There isnt a shred of evidence for macro evolution. Not a shred.

I believe you're thinking of chemistry. There's not a shred
of evidence for the theories of so-called "chemistry" Not a shred.

> Thats why its called an unsupported THEORY.  Abiogenesis has to be
> proven first before macro evolution can even be considered.

Well, that's refreshingly unencumbered by logic.

> The
> worlds foremost ATHEIST Biologist and co founder of the DNA
> structure,  Dr. Francis Crick,  affirmed the probability of
> abiogenesis is about 10x40,000 th power chance.

So Crick must have given up his beliefs in evolution,
obviously. Did he make a big public occasion of it?

> This is why no one
> is really an atheist and hence, it is a non validated, non tenable
> secular religion  of willful self deciet  .  I once followed the
> deciet for 10 adult years  until  I had to abandon the willful self
> deceit because i didnt want God interfering with my lifesytle
> choices .

That was your reason? Geez, that was childish of you,
wasn't it?

Glad that's not MY reason...

> You can change too and God will help you in the process.

Something helped me, in any event. I must have passed
you on the road along the way.

HJ

Budikka666

Jul 30, 2010, 6:28:42 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 5:12 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
>
> > Budikka
>
> There isnt a shred of evidence for macro evolution. Not a shred.

1.

There is in the current issue of "Nature" - a peer-reviewed science

journal that often publishes evidence supporting the Theory of

Evolution - the entire chimpanzee genome, which has just been read.

It turns out that chimpanzees differ from humans in only FOUR PERCENT

OF THE GENOME. This was no surprise to evolutionists, but it's a

massive bitch-slap for creationists like Dumbass Creationist.

Let's just do some simple math (and I do mean simple. Evolution does

not work in a linear, orderly, pre-planned organized fashion, but
this

is for illustrative purposes).

Human and chimpanzee genomes are about 3 billion base pairs long, so

that 4% difference is 120,000,000 base pairs. If we split the

difference, this means that the chimpanzees had to change out

60,000,000 base pairs and humans the same number in the time since we

parted from our common ancestor.

According to Richard Dawkins in his recently published "The Ancestor's

Tale" humans and apes parted company some 6,000,000 years ago. For
the

sake of argument, let's distribute the 60,000,000 base pairs over the

6,000,000 years, giving us a requirement of 10 base pairs per year to

macroevolve from a common ancestor into either a chimpanzee or a human

in 6 million years. What is there to prevent that? Why could that
not

have happened?

In order to respond to this question creationists will need to define

"kind" and define the mechanism which prevents one "kind" from
changing

into another "kind". But of course, every time I ask a creationist to

do that, they **RUN AWAY**.

Remember that this was not one chimpanzee/human ancestor changing
genes

or base pairs, it was every chimpanzee or every human. What was there

to prevent this?

This answer is nothing. There's your macroevolution.

2.

Richard Dawkins has a book out (http://tinyurl.com/bcbos) in which he

discusses, with examples, the pathway from the first cell to modern

humans. What's that if it isn't "macroevolution"?

3.

Recent genetic mapping has demonstrated that mice have 80% of our DNA

(or we theirs) with each species having only some 300 genes that the

other didn't have. Creationists have no intelligent explanation for

this.

What it means is that since the mouse and ourselves split from our

common ancestor, we each have diversified only 300 genes out of some

30,000 each. Maybe these are new genes or maybe we lost some that the

mouse didn't and vice versa. But the one thing that has the

creationists on their backs with their legs in the air like dead bugs

on a sun blazed window ledge is that such diversification is
completely

plausible. In other words, a mouse-like organism could as readily

have evolved into a mouse as it could into a human.

Let's make it tough on evolution and say that our common ancestor had

basic set of genes and in order for it to become a mouse or a human,
it

had to "grow" 300 new genes. We know there were critters not

dissimilar to mice running around in the finale to the dinosaur era.

In fact, similar creatures existed at least 75 million years ago.
Last

december, part of the DNA of one of them was recently reconstructed on

computer:

So let's set a starting point 60 million years ago and say this is

where we and mice took off. We each had to grow 300 new genes in 60

million years.

Creationists like to say that a gene has, on average, 100,000 base

pairs, so let's use that number. 100,000 base pairs times 300 genes

means we had to grow 30 million new base pairs in 60 million years.

That's one new base pair every two years! How hard is that? Not hard

at all given the breeding rate of mice and other small mammals that

kick-started this.

What mechanism prevents it? Nothing! The creationists cannot offer a

single argument against it, and this is the worst possible case they

can throw at evolution. The worse case that can be made and

creationists cannot argue a single thing against it! That's how

pathetic their position is.

Of course, evolution doesn't work in this simple, straight-forward

mathematical mode, but then neither do you need to grow every new gene

from scratch, given the wealth of pseudogenes and junk DNA the genome

has for mutation to play with, so it evens out. This is just a

demonstration of a concept, simplified so that even creationists can

grasp it. It takes the worst case scenario and the creationists lose.

No surprises there.

4.

He's a liar, because here it is, in the form of Sphecomyrma Freyi:

As these articles discuss:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/97/25/13678

http://www.scienceblog.com/community/older/1998/A/199800382.html

http://www.antnest.co.uk/Origin.html

http://www.antcolony.org/oldest_ant.htm

the "ant kind" and the "wasp kind" had a common ancestor, precisely as

the theory of evolution predicted.

Therefore macroevolution is demonstrated.

5.

Carl Zimmer has a book (http://tinyurl.com/bqgyw) called "At the

Water's Edge : Macroevolution and the Transformation of Life" in which

he discusses, **with examples**, the pathway from aquatic life to

terrestrial life, and then back again. What's that if it isn't

"macroevolution"?

6.

Let me present a parallel example of the very thing he claims cannot

exist. Let me give him an example which shows transition from a

**single cell* to an adult human.

Conception.

If one cell cannot change into a human, how does anyone get born? The

reproductive process from start to finish involves two haploid cells

combining to become a zygocyte, the zygocyte multiplying and
organizing

itself into a morula, a blastula, a gastrula (the embryonic phases), a

fetus, an infant, a toddler, an adolescent, and a human adult.

Which part(s) of that does a god directly control? Or is **ALL OF IT

CONTROLLED BY GENES**?

How is this possible? How can the cell "kind" possibly transform into

the embryo "kind"? How can the embryo "kind", for which an aquatic

environment is a requirement, possibly transform into the infant

"kind", which cannot survive underwater? How can a tiny infant "kind"

possibly change into an adult "kind"? But it happens. Macroevolution
happens.

7.

Evolution of the jaw:

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/evolution_of_the_jaw/

8.

Evolution of the eye:

http://scienceagogo.com/news/20050822230316data_trunc_sys.shtml

9. - 539.

530 instances of observed speciation:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html

540.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/30/birdflu.drugs.reut/index....

reveals speciation (a new strain) in the bird flu virus:

"A strain of the H5N1 bird flu virus that may unleash the next global
flu pandemic is showing resistance to Tamiflu, the antiviral drug that
countries around the world are now stockpiling to fend off the looming
threat."

Speciation is an example of so-called macroevolution.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiapcf/09/30/birdflu.drugs.reut/index....

reveals speciation (a new strain) in the bird flu virus:

"A strain of the H5N1 bird flu virus that may unleash the next global
flu pandemic is showing resistance to Tamiflu, the antiviral drug that
countries around the world are now stockpiling to fend off the looming
threat."

Speciation is an example of so-called macroevolution

541.

reveals: "...genetic analyses indicated that hippos had more in common
with cetaceans, the group to which whales and dolphins belong."

542.

Parthenogenesis proves Dumbass Creationist wrong, even using his own
criteria. This fact of life is evident looking at only a single
species in nature: the Western Whiptail lizard (Cnemidophorus tigris).

According to the creationists (who cannot offer a shred of evidence
let alone proof for their claims) this lizard can only have been
created directly by a god. Yet the Bible claims that everything was
created male and female according to their kind. What happened to the
male of *this* species? Yet if this lizard started out as a mating
pair, macroevolution must have taken place to render it into the state
in which it now exists.

C. tigris is considered to be monophyletic - that is, it's in a class
of its own - or more appropriately in this case, a "kind". No matter
how desperately creationists try to wriggle, they cannot wriggle out
of the fact that *even if a god created this "kind", it has still
subsequently evolved trhough genetic mutation into a different "kind"
from what it was originally, and if this species can evolve from one
"kind" to another, then so can any other organism, and design is

neither necessary nor intelligent.

543.

The chimpanzee and the human genome contain the same genetic mistakes:

http://tinyurl.com/bb9gf

Is this the work of an intelligent and perfect designer? That he

screwed up the chimpanzee genome and then made exactly the same
mistake

in an (according to the creationists) completely unrelated organism?

Edward Max MD, PHd writes: "The shared galactosyltransferase

pseudogenes are fascinating for a reason that complicates their use in

arguing against creationists: evidence suggests that there may have

been a selective advantage to mutations that inactivated this gene.
The

enzyme product of the gene catalyzes the production of a particular

carbohydrate molecule that is found on cell membranes of mammals who

possess the enzyme, but also on certain infectious bacteria.

Individuals infected with such bacteria would benefit from mounting an

immune attack on this carbohydrate molecule, but if the same

carbohydrate appeared on their own cells such an attack could damage

their own tissues. Therefore, individuals who carry mutations in the

enzyme--and thus would not make the carbohydrate on their own

cells--would be free to mount an immune attack focused on this

molecule, protecting them against many bacteria without danger of

damaging their own tissues. Therefore, selective pressure would have

led to spread of gene copies that had undergone crippling mutations.

Creationists could reasonably argue that such mutations could have

occurred independently in different species as examples of recent

microevolution after independent creation of the species. It is

possible that different mutations did inactivate the gene
independently

in several primate ancestors. However, the human and chimpanzee

galactosyltransferase pseudogenes have identical crippling mutations;

therefore, it is most likely that the gene was inactivated in a common

human/chimp ancestor."

The only thing that can explain this is either a really stupid
creator, or macroevolution.

544.

Here's something Dumbass Creationist lied about recently:

> The only genetics evidence that they offered, which was

> that chimps are 98% identical in code to humans. I

> showed them that while they try to pretend that it's

> almost exact, it's really 96%

Dumbass Creationist pretends he understands science, claims he's
widely read on

the topic, and even claims he has some books on the subject! Wowee!

He also claims he can discuss it. He's a liar. He has never
discussed

even one of these examples with me despite his assertion in his

macroevolution thread that he would.

I specified in my example #1 (http://tinyurl.com/dxqjc) that it was

**96%** genetic match overall (the exact figure Dumbass Creationist
lies that

evolutionists do not use) in a genomic comparison between humans and

chimpanzees. I'd be tickled to death if any creationist could

scientifically explain that from the special creation perspective, but

this shows what an incompetent liar Dumbass Creationist is. **He
never even

read what I wrote yet felt he could dismiss it**!

The 98% figure is also true. It applies when you compare genes which

specify proteins, as opposed to the entire genome (including junk DNA,

most of which does nothing). Clearly Dumbass Creationist doesn't
understand

this distinction, yet he arrogantly feels fully qualified to dismiss

the topic. Go figure.

What this distinction means, unfortunately for Dumbass Creationist is
that

when we take into account junk DNA, most of which codes for nothing
and

is just the detritus of evolution, there is *more* difference than
when

we look only at genes that code for the proteins which build and

maintain our bodies.

> and that the 4% means thousands

> upon thousands of differences,

4% of the genome in this case is only 120,000,000 base pairs, and as I

just pointed out, this is irrelevant because it is largely junk. The

difference in working genes is only 1%-2%.

Since we have ~25,000 genes, this percentage is at most 500 genes out

of 25,000. That means something akin to chimpanzees having ~250 genes

we do not have and us having ~250 they do not. We diverged from

chimpanzees some 5 - 7 millon years ago according to the best
available

evidence so far, which means that in (say) 5 million years (to give

Dumbass Creationist his best shot), we (each species) had to acquire
or change

250 genes. This works out to be one new gene every 20,000 years - a

gene that was duplicated and then changed, or simply changed.

What is there to prevent that? Please give your scientific answer,

Dumbass Creationist, and let's discuss it. Science has already shown
it can

happen and that it does happen, therefore it is up to you, Dumbass
Creationist to show why it did not in the specific case of humans,
chimpanzees, and

the putative ancestor. Science doesn't know of anything that could

prevent it. Does creation science? I await Dumbass Creationist's
evidence. I

won't hold my breath.

Scientists have found genes that have changed in many genomes. There

are many mechanisms which can do this and which do actually do this

(humans and chimpanzees exhibit this, for example, in our blood

grouping and my example #543 - http://tinyurl.com/aeyfm - addressed a

case like this). Anyone who cares to scientifically demonstrate such

mechanism would become more famous than Darwin and fabulously wealthy.

Any takers?

545.

reports discoveries of more fossils of Homo floresiensis.

This is a new hominid species that has been found nowhere else but on

Flores island, Indonesia. About 800,000 years ago, Homo erectus was
on

Flores.

Since the Bible makes no mention whatsoever of a separate creation on

the Island, this is actually two examples of so-called macroevolution.

First H. erectus evolves and populates the island, then H.
floresiensis

evolves from H. erectus.

To refute this, Dumbass Creationist must provide science showing that
H.

sapiens, H. erectus, and H. floresiensis are all the same "kind", or

that they are all separate, specially created "kinds". Science can

find no evidence at this point that they're not all related by

evolution, so this leaves the ball roundly in the creationist court.

546.

This one is based on testimony (under oath to god himself by a

practicing Christian) being given in a current court case, but I can't

give a rerference to it because Dumbass Creationist throws a hissy-fit
if you

actually reference something. Note that he never does himself, so I

shall respect that tradition - until a while from now.

Humans have 23 pairs of chromosomes, *46* in all. Chimpanzees have
48.

Now if there is so-called "macroevolution" - if humans and chimpanzees

actually *did* share a common ancestor, then at some point in our

respective evolution from that ancestor, the chimpanzees gained two

chromosomes, or we "lost" two. This is a prediction that the modern

synthesis of the Theory of Evolution makes. In fact, it is a

prediction Charles Darwin himself made.

Actually, the loss of a pair of chromosomes would more than likely be

fatal to an organism, so it's unlikely they were lost. The only other

option is that they got fused together.

Chromosomes have genetic markers at the their ends (called telomeres)

and in their middle (called centromeres). If two pairs of chromosomes

in the human lineage fused together from the larger number of

chromosomes in an ancestor we share with the apes, there should be

evidence of this. Failure to find such evidence would be a crushing

blow to the Theory of Evolution

When scientists were able to look at human Chromosome 2 in sufficient

detail, they discovered that it was actually the result of a fusion of

two other chromosomes. They could tell this because at one point in

the chromosome they found extra telomeres. These were not at the end

where they would have been put if humans had been designed, but in the

middle, where the two originally separate chromosomes had become

"glued" together.

But what of the centromeres? What do they do? They tell the

chromosome where to separate when reproduction takes place. So

wouldn't this mean the doubled chromosome 2 separates in two places?

Nope. One of the centromeres is disabled by mutation.

So here we have macroevolution proven at the genetic level. A god

might make two species similarly, but would an intelligent designer,

with all eternity to work in and infinite resources to call upon make

mistake like that? No!

So there you have it, Dumbass Creationist. Proof of macroevolution
(if you

insist upon calling it that) that cannot be accounted for by

intelligent design, that links chimpanzees and humans back to a common

ancestor.

I did it without a single reference to a web site, without giving you

URL, without referring to a book, or a science paper and without
saying

the name of the unmentionable web site. I gave you the scientific

detail, which you said you were prepared to discuss. I met your every

condition and gave you every single thing you asked for. I invite you

to discuss it.

547.

This one is based on testimony (under oath to god himself by a

practicing Christian) being given in a current court case, but I can't

give a reference to it because Dumbass Creationist throws a hissy-fit
if you

actually support your assertions (he cannot support his own, you see).

I'll reveal the source a while from now.

Human hemaglobin has two "families" - alpha and beta. The alpha group

consists of 7 genes in chromosome 11. The beta group consists of six

genes in chromosome 16. These families themselves are sound evidence

of evolution at the genetic level, but it goes much deeper than that.

Of the seven genes of the alpha group, *four* are pseudogenes. Of the

six in the beta group, one is a pseudogene. It's called the psi-beta
1

sequence.

A pseudogene is a duplicate of another gene, but it has errors in it

which prevent it from functioning. Psi-beta 1 has *six* errors. One

of these prevents the gene from even starting to be translated into a

protein. Others would immediately cancel such translation even if it

were to start.

In other words, it's junk DNA, but it is of value from the point of

view of evolution because it means it is available for mutation to

transform it into some other sort of gene (thereby increasing the

information in the genome) without interfering with vital functions in

the organism.

Now if there is macroevolution, if humans and some other organism did

have a common ancestor, you would expect to find similar hemaglobin

patterns in their genome.

Do evolutionists claim that humans recently descended from cats, dogs,

or horses? Nope. Do those "kinds" share the hemaglobin pattern?

Nope!

The understanding scientists have from all available lines of evidence

is that humans share a common ancestor with chimpanzees. Do

chimpanzees have a similar pattern of hemaglobin? Yes!

Can't creationists claim that a designer would have made two similar

organisms out of the same building blocks? Well, no. First of all

they offer no rationale as to why this ought to be so and secondly,

they offer no evidence that it actually was so (yes, these are the
same

hypocrites who chide scientists for having no evidence - which is

actually a lie).

But having no scientific support has never stopped creationists from

pontificating about evolution, so this is precisely what they do
claim!

Humans and chimpanzees are 98.5% alike in their functional DNA,

creationists insist, because they were designed! I've never seen a

chimpnazze doing brain surgery or designing Mars rovers, and while
they

never submit scientific abstracts to peer-reviewed journals, they do

*paint* pretty decent abstracts, so let's pursue this creationist

"logic" a little further.

So we have functional DNA that's 98.6% like chimpanzee DNA even though

there is no logical reason why a god would need to do this when

supernaturally creating different "kinds" by means we humans cannot

pretend to understand.

But this is a perfect god, who doesn't make mistakes, who had infinite

resources to call upon and all eternity in which to plan his work,
work

which was unconditionally declared perfect upon completion. And this

god never lies, right?.

Right.

Now let's talk again about the beta-globin group. There are six genes

in humans and six in chimpanzees. They are the same genes. One of

them in humans is a non-functional pseudogene called psi-beta 1. The

same one in chimpanzees in a non-functional pseudogene.

Human psi-beta 1 has six errors on it. The chimpanzee version **HAS

THE SAME SIX ERRORS**.

There's your "proof" Dumbass Creationist.

Care to discuss it? Care to toss around how it was that this god made

the same useless gene with the same six errors not once, but twice in

two different "kinds"? Or can we instead talk about you keeping the

promise you made when we supplied you with this?

548.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/orbulina.html

"This page shows the common ancestry of two modern species of foram.
They are both single-celled sexually-reproducing carnivorous plankton,
which drift at a shallow depth in the tropical and sub-tropical
oceans. Luckily for us, they have limestone skeletons, with patterns
of small holes for access to the outside world. We are also lucky that
they are very common: there are at least 10,000,000,000,000 (ten
trillion) alive today.

"Much of the world's ocean bottoms have been undisturbed for tens
of millions of years, so complete sets of intermediate fossils have
been seen at many locations around the world."

There you have it - a continuous series of fossils which show
transition from one species to another - macroevolution by Dumbass
Creationist's *own* definition - proven.

549.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/snails.html

"If there had been gaps in the fossil sequence, we would have thought
that these were fossils from several different species. If we look at
snails alive today, we can find separate species which differ by less
than the difference shown in the picture.

"The picture was scanned from

"Life, The Science of Biology, Second Edition, Purves and Orians,
Sinauer Associates 1987, page 1041

"The shells are from a freshwater deposit in Yugoslavia, laid down
from 10 million years ago to 3 million years ago."

550.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/eocoelia.html

"The data is from fossils gathered at thirteen different depths.
As is usual in geology, the diagram gives the data for the deepest
(oldest) fossils at the bottom, and the upper (youngest) fossils at
the top. The diagram covers about ten million years.

"Each shell is ribbed. For each shell, the ratio of rib height to
rib width was measured. For each depth, the average ratio was
computed. Each little horizontal box shows the average, and also the
statistical distribution about the average.

"Notice that the boxes at the top have no overlap at all with the
boxes at the bottom. That is why the shells at the top are the species
Eocoelia sulcata, but the shells at the bottom are the species
Eocoelia hemisphaerica.

"Notice that each box overlaps the box above it, and the box
below it. As you go from bottom to top, there are no breaks or sudden
jumps. There is a smooth transition that starts at one species and
ends at a different species."

551.

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/pelycodus.html

"The dashed lines show the overall trend. The species at the
bottom is Pelycodus ralstoni, but at the top we find two species,
Notharctus nunienus and Notharctus venticolus. The two species later
became even more distinct, and the descendants of nunienus are now
labeled as genus Smilodectes instead of genus Notharctus.

"As you look from bottom to top, you will see that each group has
some overlap with what came before. There are no major breaks or
sudden jumps. And the form of the creatures was changing steadily."

552. - 577.

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/Evolution/PSCF12-97Miller.html

Geologist Keith Miller discusses "The Precambrian to Cambrian Fossil
Record and Transitional Forms", listing 25 individual references.

578.

http://dnapolicy.org/genetics/translocations.jhtml.html

explains how genetic material can switch chromosomes. Sometimes this
is harmful, sometimes not. But it is definitely a potential source of
macroevolution.

579.

Carl Zimmer's article at:

http://tinyurl.com/df98h

In part, is states:

"Claes Wahlestedt, one of the scientists who will be setting up shop
on

Scripp's Florida campus, searches for new drugs by understanding how

the human genome evolved. Genes only become active in our cells when

certain proteins lock onto small stretches of DNA near them called

enhancers. The enhancer bends until it meets up with another piece of

DNA called a promoter. That bending acts like a switch, turning on the

gene, allowing it to produce a protein. The elements of these switches

are very hard to pinpoint in the human genome. That's because they are

very short and are located hundreds or thousands of positions away
from

the gene they control."

So much for intelligent design! The article continues:

"Making matters worse, they are usually nestled within long stretches

of DNA that don't appear to serve any function. Finding these switch

elements could prove very important to medicine. A mutation to a
switch

may make people prone to certain diseases or respond poorly to certain

medicines.

"Wahlestedt is finding these promoters, and it's evolution he's

using as his guide. He and his colleagues described their approach in

an open-access paper published earlier this year in the journal BMC

Genomics. They lined up the sequences of human genes with their

corresponding genes in mice. They then looked near the genes, in the

long sequence of non-coding DNA, searching for short stretches of DNA

that were similar in both species. Their reasoning was this: if a
piece

of non-coding DNA in the common ancestor of humans and mice didn't

serve an important function, it might pick up mutations over time

without causing any harm. As a result, most non-coding sequences
should

be noticeably different in humans and mice, because we share an

ancestor that lived some 100 million years ago. But switches probably

played a vital role in that common ancestor, and most mutations that

struck them would have had a devastating effect. Natural selection

should have prevented most of these mutations from becoming fixed in

both humans and mice. As a result, parts of DNA involved in switching

genes on and off should look very similar in humans and mice, unlike

the other non-coding DNA.

"Wahlestedt and his colleagues used this method to identify a

number of candidate switches. Further tests confirmed that most of
them

actually did affect the way genes work. And still more tests showed

that humans carry different versions of these switches, and that these

differences affect the way that these genes make proteins. If

Wahlestedt had used creationism as his guide, he'd still be
floundering

in an ocean of DNA."

580.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4337888.stm

reveals a new dinosaur - that looked like a bird:

"The 90 million-year-old reptile belongs to the same sickle-clawed

group of dinosaurs as Velociraptor and feathered dinosaurs from

China....Analysis by the authors of the Nature paper show Buitreraptor

and Rahonavis, a fossil animal from Madagascar previously considered a

primitive bird, form a southern branch of the dromaeosaur family
tree."

So what was once classed as a bird is now joined by a dinosaur and

they're both in the same grouping as velociraptors and feathered

dinosaurs.

581,

"An infant gorilla in a Congo sanctuary is smashing palm nuts

between two rocks to extract oil..."

That means it's smarter than most creationists, who have yet to figure

out that the only way they can crack the nut of evolution is through

the only way they cannot do it: by finding evidence to refute it or

evidence to support their own position!

"It had been thought that the premeditated use of stones and

sticks to accomplish a task like cracking nuts was restricted to
humans

and the smaller, more agile chimpanzees.

"Then, in late September, keepers at a Dian Fossey Gorilla Fund

International sanctuary in this eastern Congo city saw 2 1/2-year-old

female gorilla Itebero smashing palm nuts between rocks in the "hammer

and anvil" technique, considered among the most complex tool use

behaviors."

"Earlier this year, researchers reported observing gorillas in the
wild

in the neighboring Republic of Congo's rain forests using simple
tools,

according to a team led by Thomas Breuer of the Wildlife Conservation

Society at the Bronx Zoo."

So not only are gorillas extremely close cousins of ours (as their DNA

will demonstrate when the code is read), they use tools and can speak

in American Sign Language. In other words, they are so close to us

that there is no reason at all why we could not have a common
ancestor.

That is, unless any creationist reading this cares to offer a

scientific explanation of the mechanism which prevents one "kind"

(which you will have to define, of course) changing into another kind

via evolution.

582.

http://www4.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-10/tifg-fbi100305.php

discusses work done at TIGR on influenza.

http://www.scienceinafrica.co.za/2002/june/flu.htm

reveals that: "There are three types of influenza virus, A, B and C.

Types A and B viruses cause epidemics of disease almost every winter,

while type C viruses only cause a mild respiratory illness and are not

considered clinically important. Influenza type A viruses are divided

into subtypes based on two proteins on the surface of the virus, the

haemagglutinin (HA) and neuraminidase (NA). The current subtypes of

influenza A viruses that infect humans are A (H1N1) and A (H3N2).

Influenza A viruses are found in many different animals, including

birds, pigs, horses, whales and seals. Wild aquatic birds are the

reservoir for all subtypes of influenza A viruses. There are fifteen

different haemagglutinin and nine different neuraminidase types that

occur in influenza A viruses in wild birds. Unlike influenza A
viruses,

influenza B viruses are not divided into subtypes and have only been

isolated from humans and recently from seals."

And here's why it represents macroevolution that transcends the "kind"

barrier: "Influenza viruses can change in two different ways. The
first

way is referred to as "antigenic drift" and occurs by continuous

mutations taking place during the replication cycle of the virus.
These

changes are unpredictable and if they occur within the five defined

antigenic sites on the HA protein, can give rise to an antigenically

novel virus. The new variant virus can escape the host's previously

acquired immunity, and can then spread rapidly through a susceptible

population.

"The second type of change, "antigenic shift", occurs in
influenza

A viruses. Antigenic shift is an abrupt, major change due to gene

reassortment and results in an influenza A virus with new

haemagglutinin and/or neuraminidase proteins. When a new subtype of

virus appears after antigenic shift that can cause both illness in

humans and can also spread easily from person to person, an influenza

pandemic (worldwide epidemic) can occur. During the last century three

influenza pandemics occurred. In 1918 -1919, the "Spanish flu" caused

approximately 40 million deaths worldwide. The virus that caused it ,

influenza A (H1N1), was unique because almost half of the people who

died were young, healthy adults. The next pandemic, the "Asian flu"

occurred during 1957- 1958 and was the result of an antigenic shift

producing an H2N2 virus. In 1968, a new subtype (H3N2) emerged and was

referred to as the "Hong Kong flu" since it was first detected in Hong

Kong before it spread globally causing the third pandemic."

583.

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/therapsd.htm

Lenny Flank discusses the evidence (and explains it) for reptile-to-
mammal evolution.

584.

http://tinyurl.com/87882

refers to a www.sciam.com article " Marine Microorganism Plays Both

Host and Killer", which discusses "The colorless organism, named

Hatena...[which] alternates between two phases: one allows it to host,

and another allows it to devour a green alga."

This reveals a major macroevolutionary step which human cells also

undertook (before they ever became human) - that of engulfing another

cell and evolving a relatioship with it which was beneficial to both.

In humans, it is the mitochondrion component

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondria). This organelle was taken

onboard a long, long time aog and is now a permanent part of our cell

biology.

In Hatena, it is still a temporary process: "Surprisingly,

photosynthesis did not originate in plants and algae, but arose first

in bacteria. Algae figured out a way to engulf bacteria, which

eventually evolved into a chloroplast, a specialized cellular
component

responsible, in this case, for photosynthesis. How it happened,
though,

has been a mystery. Now biologists Noriko Okamoto and Isao Inouye of

the University of Tsukuba in Japan have observed a similar process

taking place in the wild algae Hatena.

"Hatena's life cycle alternates between a host phase and a

predator phase. As a host, the otherwise colorless Hatena harbors a

green alga cell known as Nephroselmis, which makes Hatena appear
green.

The green cell splits in two, always producing one colorless daughter

cell and one green daughter cell. The colorless cell develops a
feeding

apparatus that it uses to engulf a new Nephroselmis. Once devoured,

Nephroselmis becomes a functioning part of the host and the host's

feeding apparatus--now no longer needed--degenerates."

585.

"Scientific American" Nov 2005 edition (USA) has an article in the

"News Scan" section on page 36 titled: "Relative Distance" discussing

briefly the genetic connection between humans and chimpanzees,
exampled

or discussed in earlier macroevolution threads in this series:

Example 2: http://tinyurl.com/d4376

Example 4: http://tinyurl.com/dmbxj

Example 542: http://tinyurl.com/77tyl

Example 543: http://tinyurl.com/bpdqm

Example 544: http://tinyurl.com/czsdq

Example 547: http://tinyurl.com/88kch

Example 581: http://tinyurl.com/8c8od

In the article, the genetic difference between humans and chimpanzees

is clarified (clueless thread-starting declaimers of macroevolution

take note): "Although the human genome differs from our closest

relative's by 1.2% in terms of single nucleotide changes, the

international Chimpanzee Sequencing and Analysis Consortium finds that

duplications and rearrangements of larger DNA stretches add another

2.7% difference. Seven regions in the human genome bear strong

hallmarks of natural selection; for instance, one contains elements

regulating a gene implicated in nervous system development and another

possessing genes linked with speech."

As a footnote (and this isn't direct evidence of macroevolution, which

is why it doesn't get its own number) here's a Scientific American

article whcih demonstrates how useful genetics is in tracing ancestry,

a procedure which itself can provide evidence of macroevolution:

http://tinyurl.com/adod5

586. - 588.

http://www.geo.ucalgary.ca/~macrae/talk_origins.html

589.

Horse evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/horses/

590

Archaeopteryx as a transitional fossil:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/archaeopteryx/info.html#Variation

Recently an extraordinarily well-preserved specimen has been found
which does indeed confirm its status as a transition, and stronger
evidence of macroevolution:

http://sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/sci;310/5753/1483)

591.

http://stcynic.com/blog/archives/2005/10/

discusses how Michael Behe, perhaps the leading scientist supporting
intelligent design, who was recently "disowned" by his own university
(http://www.lehigh.edu/%7einbios/news/evolution.htm)

Here's the conclusion:

"And remember, the core of Behe's entire argument for ID is that

irreducibly complex systems cannot evolve. Yet what does he admit
under

oath that his own study actually says? It says that IF you assume a

population of bacteria on the entire earth that is 7 orders of

magnitude less than the number of bacteria in a single ton of

soil...and IF you assume that it undergoes only point mutations...and

IF you rule out recombination, transposition, insertion/deletion,
frame

shift mutations and all of the other documented sources of mutation
and

genetic variation...and IF you assume that none of the intermediate

steps would serve any function that might help them be
preserved...THEN

it would take 20,000 years (or 1/195,000th of the time bacteria have

been on the earth) for a new complex trait requiring multiple

interacting mutations - the very definition of an irreducibly complex

system according to Behe - to develop and be fixed in a population.

"In other words, even under the most absurd and other-worldly

assumptions to make it as hard as possible, even while ruling out the

most powerful sources of genetic variation, an irreducibly complex new

trait requiring multiple unselected mutations can evolve within 20,000

years. And if you use more realistic population figures, in

considerably less time than that. It sounds to me like this is a heck

of an argument against irreducible complexity, not for it."

One of the massive flaws in the "reasoning" of those who argue that

so-called macroevolution cannot occur is that there are (they assert)

distinct "kinds" (which they cannot define), and between these "kinds"

is a barrier (which they cannot identify) which prevents one "kind"

from muating, over time, into another "kind".

Well, as the above-quoted article admirably shows, Michael Behe, the

leading light of the so-called Intelligent so-called Design movement,

has himself admitted, in court, under an oath to God, that he has no

grounds to make such an assertion, not even at the biochemical level!

He's openly admitted that his entire book "Darwin's Black Box" was a

house built on sand. He's admitted that an "irreducibly complex"

system (so-called) can establish itself in 20,000 years or less.

592.

Tagmosis - the segmented structure of living things is evidence of

so-called macroevolution, and here's a fascinating article on the

topic:

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/pycnogonid_tagmosis/

593.

In the nineteenth century Spartina alternifolia was found in Townsend
harbor in southern England, it is a native of the Americas and
presumably seeds were transferred in a boat's bilge.

There already existed a European species S. maritima. Early in the
20th century a sterile hybrid of these two was found and was called
Spartina townsendii This went through a process of diploidization
(duplicate pairs of chromosomes) and became a new sexually reproducing
species known as Spartina anglica

(http://www.as.wvu.edu/~kgarbutt/EvolutionPage/Speciation.htm)

594.

"The study focused on a species of grass, Anthoxanthum odoratum,
growing in plots within what is the longest running ecological
experiment currently in existence, the Park Grass Experiment at
Rothamsted Experimental Station, Harpenden, UK. These plots were
originally set up in 1856 to test the reactions of meadow vegetation

different fertilizer applications, procedures which continue to this
day and which have generated enormous amounts of data on plant
physiological responses, population dynamics and community ecology.
Building on previous work (eg Snaydon and Davies, 1976), Silvertown et
al (2005) have shown that there has been a shift in flowering time of

A. odoratum at the border between adjacent experimental plots.
Crucially, this 'inverse cline' of flowering is a signature of the
first steps along a particular road to speciation, that has been
predicted by modelling studies exploring how natural selection against
hybrids could contribute to reproductive isolation between populations
in proximity. It suggests that some species within adjacent plots in
the Park Grass Experiment are not exchanging genetic material via
pollination as frequently as would be expected. The genetic outcome of
this reproductive isolation was tested by using Inter Simple-Sequence
Repeat (ISSR) markers, which confirmed that there had been genetic
divergence between adjacent plots at these neutral marker sites.
Reproductive isolation and genetic divergence, the first phases of

speciation, had been confirmed."

http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v95/n3/full/6800718a.html

595.

http://tinyurl.com/7zcqv

(You have to go see this picture of the spider with its big black
eyes. It looks sooo cute!)

Ahem! Anyway, the URL reveals the charming story of Evarcha
culicivora, a vampire spider (a salticid - jumping spider no less!)
from the Lake Victoria region in Africa.

"Lab experiments conducted near Lake Victoria showed the spider

preferred female mosquitoes fed with human blood over all other prey,

including male mosquitoes, which don't feed on animal blood."

The spider doesn't get blood directly from humans, it has it
delivered!

It's rather like we don't get milk directly from cows (for the

majority of us westerners at least), but go get it at the store.

So the question here is, did a god design this spider from scratch?

Because if it did, then it also had to design the mosquito beforehand,

since this is an irreducibly complex system to put it in "intelligent

Designer" terms, isn't it? The spider couldn't survive without the

mosquito to bring it liquid lunch.

Why would an intelligent designer - a loving god, no less, who loved
us

*soooo* much that he found the courage to tell someone else to go die

for us - design a system that ultimately involves hurting humans?

In fact, this situation is doubly parasitical, because the species of

mosquito in question, A. gambiae is the principle vector of the
malaria

parasite, which afflicts *half a billion* people, killing a million of

them every year (and fundies whine about abortion????).

Did a loving god *design* that?

Or did E. culicivora evolve from those two reps of the spider "kind"
on

the ark?

596.

http://www.bio.psu.edu/People/Faculty/Marden/project2.html

reveals a model for how insects started to fly - an example of
macroevolution.

597.

morris.umn.edu/academic/biology/biol1101/creationism.html

Slide 17 - shows the macroevolutionary steps from water to land using
fossils

Slide 16 - shows the macroevolutionary steps from land to water using
fossils

and since these were already addressed (but not so well illustrated)
in previous messages, here is the new one for this item number:

Slide 17,18 - shows hominid evolution by means of fossils.

598.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4377898.stm

reveals that the ignition key to life has been discovered. It's
rather

fitting that such a vital gene was discovered in Bath, England, site
of

ancient Roman baths which purportedly had a revitalising effect!

"Scientists have found the gene responsible for controlling a first
key

step in the creation of new life. The HIRA gene is involved in the

events necessary for the fertilisation that take place once a sperm

enters an egg. Faults in this gene might explain why some couples

struggle to get pregnant despite having healthy sperm, say the

researchers from the UK and France....

"Lead researcher Dr Tim Karr, from the University of Bath, said:

"All sexually reproducing animals do the same kind of DNA 'dance' when

the DNA from the mother's egg cell and the father's sperm cell meet
for

the first time. When the sperm enters the egg, its DNA has to undergo

a complete transformation so that it can properly join with the female

DNA to form a genetically complete new life. Sperm makes this change

by swapping the type of 'packing material, known as histone proteins,

it contains. The result is called the male pronucleus, which can then

combine with the female pronucleus. The process is controlled by the

HIRA gene."

This fact was learned by closely observing fruit flies, which use the

same process that humans do. This could only be true if macro

evolution had occurred, nudging a common ancestor into speciation
which

in one line of descendents led to fruit flies and in another line led

to us.

599.

What if evolutionists told you that there was a fish which had
evolved,

over time, from your standard pelagic free-swimming fish into a bottom

dweller? Instead of the usual one-eye-per-side, this fish evolved
both

eyes on one side, so that when it lay on the bottom, it didn't have to

endure the inevitable icky (or icthy) jokes along the lines of "Here's

mud in your eye, Hippoglossus!"

The creationists would doubtlessly pour water on the idea, claiming it

sounds too fishy to be true. "Go tell it to the Marines!" they'd
jest.

They would saltily insist that evolutionists show them *every single

step* of this macroevolution.

Well, at the risk of leaving them floundering, here it is:

http://www.nmnh.si.edu/vert/fishes/larval/pleur.html

Pleuronectiformes is an order of fish - an order of fish that you
might

get at a sea food restaurant and also a zoological order. These fish

are commonly known as flatfish, such as halibut. (Hey, if you get

turbot at the restaurant and pay for it with a credit card, is that

turbot-charged?)

The flounder isn't, of course, like the fish in Disney's "Little

Mermaid", with stereoscopic vision. It is born as a regular fish, one

eye per side. It swims freely in the ocean, but then is starts

changing. One eye migrates over the top of its head to the other
side.

Because the ocellated flounder (Bothus ocellatus) has a dorsal fin

which runs right down to its nose, the eye has to migrate right
through

the fin. To facilitate this, it has a hole in its head which closes

after the eye has passed through.

Who ordered that? you might be tempted to ask, in the vein of Nobel

physicist Isaac Rabi, who asked precisely that when a sub-atomic

particle now known as the muon was discovered. Was it an intelligent

designer? Where is the intelligence in designing a fish that has to
go

through this risky transformation?

Maybe it's not my plaice to say it, but wouldn't a designer create the

fish complete to begin with? If not, why not? Why would a designer,

who wishes us to know his glory and wants to save our soles, put

misdirection into his design? Isn't misdirection the domain of Satan?

The only *intelligent* explanation of the transformation of the

pleuronectiformes is macroevolution.

600.

The best article you can read on eye evolution online, IMO, is:

http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/creation/eye.html

Failing that, buy a book! Richard Dawkins's "Climbing Mount

Improbable" does it fine justice.

http://tinyurl.com/c4osd

Chapter 5 starting on page 138 is devoted to eye evolution. This book

has the unnerving photograph of a toad on page 97 which has the

mutation of its eyes *inside* its mouth - not a big change if you're a

toad, but definitely an example of a mutation which, although bad,

didn't result in the death of the organism.

Dawkins also addresses eye evolution in "The Ancestor's Tale":

http://tinyurl.com/7v56x

and it is from these that I draw material for this example.

Creationists always quote Darwin poorly on this topic:

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA113_1.html

It's a telling commentary on their approach to "science" that they
find

it necessary to misrepresent so much science in order for their

"theory" to have even a remote chance of survival! If theories were

subject to the same evolutionary pressures as life, creationism and

intelligent design would have long ago become extinct.

Dawkins reiterates the fact that eyes have independently evolved on

Earth at least 40 times (and perhaps even 60), flowing into one of
nine

main channels.

Eyes are not quite as magical as creationists would like you to

believe. Even plants have "eyes" in the sense that they have cells

that can detect and use light. It's called photosynthesis. Given
that

this facility was embedded in living things at such an early stage of

evolution, why is it even remotely surprising that so many organisms

evolved eyes, and in such wide variety?

The first step in such evolution is exemplified in modern organisms by

starfish, jellyfish, leeches and other worms. These organisms have no

eyes in any meaningful sense. At best, they can detect light. They

cannot tell precisely where it comes form, but they do know it's
there.

Creationists ask, "What use is half an eye?". Well, the organisms
just

mentioned have far less than half an eye, yet it is of great value for

them. Marine organisms are far more three-dimensionally accomplished

than are we terrestrials, most of whom rarely look at the sky, let

alone can ascend into it on a whim without any artificial aids.

Even the "lowly" ability to detect which is the ocean surface and
which

the bottom would be of use to those organisms which need to traverse

between the two for feeding purposes, or which need to freeze or hide

when predators are close by.

The way to detect direction is to have a cupped eye. This is readily

made by increasing the number of photoreceptive cells and making them

concave. They can be any style from saucer to wine goblet in their

concavity. Dawkins examples these with diagrams of eyes from a

flatworm, a bivalve mollusk, a polychaete worm and a limpet.

By increasing the concavity to almost absurdist degrees, you create a

complete sphere - all except for a pinhole which focuses the image.

Dawkins again exemplifies these with a nautilus, a marine snail,

another bivalve mollusk, and an abalone. These particular examples

also demonstrate the beginnings of a lens.

He discusses problems with the pinhole approach, not least of which is

that the smaller the pinhole, the better the focus, but less light
gets

in. Also, an uncovered pinhole lets in dirt.

The resolution to this is to add a lens. This not only prevents dirt

from entering but provides focus while still allowing an aperture
large

enough to admit sufficient light. Dawkins exemplifies this in fine

style by taking a series of images in a pinhole camera made from

cardboard with a 1cm aperture.

The first image is a letter 'A', although you would not know this if

you didn't see what came afterwards, so poor is the image. Then he

hung a plastic bag full of water in front of the aperture and got a

well-resolved 'A'. The bag filled with water wasn't designed to be a

lens, but it worked. This is how nature did it. It didn't plan on

making a lens, but when something that fit the bill came along,
natural

selection made it permanent, so valuable did it prove.

The final of the three images on page 187 shows the image created by

placing a water-filled wine goblet in front of the aperture. This

performs extraordinarily well as a lens - even though it was not

*designed* as one.

One remarkable image in a remarkable chapter in Dawkins's "Climbing

Mount Improbable" appears on page 186, where a recognisable human face

(appropriately Charles Darwin) is shown imaged through the lens of a

firefly's eye! So yes, a firefly can make out your face. What it
does

with that information is anyone's guess!

But what does this have to do with macroevolution? Well,
*everything*!

An important example is given in the Howler monkey's story that

Dawkins describes in "Ancestor's Tale".

Most people think we have three types of color-sensitive cone in our

retinas, blue, green, and red, and that when one of these is triggered

we see the corresponding color, but this is not true. Cones in
humans,

when they work properly, are triggered by green, violet and yellow!

And the brain does not equate a violet signal directly with the color

violet. What the brain does is compare the firing rates between two

cones and derive the actual color from that.

In short, it's an analog system, not a digital one. Humans are now

designing digital systems. Why couldn't god?

Each cone has in it a protein called opsin which is kinked around a

molecule of retinal. The retinal comes from vitamin A, so yes,
carrots

really do help your vision. When a photon hits this chemical, it
tells

the optic nerve that it has been hit, and it's from this information

that our color vision is derived.

Specific genes create opsin proteins via RNA. The genes that make the

green and the yellow versions sit on the female 'X' chromosome. The

violet gene is on chromosome 7.

The evolution of vision is quite well understood by evolutionists.
The

problem comes for intelligent design advocates. Why are the genes not

organised together and protected from mutation better? The more that

scientists examine the genetics of vision (or anything else, for that

matter), the more obvious it becomes that it's a comedy of errors.

Why are humans only trichromatic whereas other organisms - turtles,
for

example - are tetrachromatic? Why can we not see ultraviolet like
bees

do, or perceive infrared like some snakes?

Why are our eyes wired backwards - with the nerves on the wrong side
of

the photoreceptive layer? That's like having the wiring of the camera

in front of the film. It doesn't make any sense if you think it's

designed.

Other organisms (some of the Cephalopoda class such as octupi, for

example) are correctly wired. Some idiot creationists, notably Kent

Hovind, the leading light(-weight) of creation-evolution debating, try

to dig themselves out of this nonsense by claiming that god did it

deliberately because he wanted to protect our sensitive retinas from

harsh light, whereas this wasn't necessary for aquatic Cephalopoda.

The problem for this "Just-so story" is that not all marine organisms

are so wired, and this explanation, far from rescuing his god from the

accusation of incompetence actually digs him deeper: Why did this god

make the light so hostile that he had to jury-rig our vision to offset

it?

Which brings us to the Howler monkey. Unlike old world monkeys, new

world monkeys are dichromats, with the exception of some females.

These females have two 'X' chromosomes, of course, meaning that some
of

them may have the "other opsin gene" on the second 'X', allowing them

to be trichromats like us. So all the opsin genes are there, they're

simply not all in every individual, especially not in males since

they're very 'X' gene-centric.

The howler monkey differs in that it experienced a genetic

translocation - the movement of a section of the genome from one place

to another. It's not the kind of thing you would expect to see in an

expertly designed system, but you will expect to see it in an

undesigned, undirected system that's left to its own devices.

Once a gene is translocated from, say, the muted 'X' chromosome to the

active one, it is then a duplicate of the already existing active one,

which means it is completely free to mutate without causing the host

organism any harm.

In the case of the Howler monkey, the gene that was translocated was

already a functioning opsin gene, but a different one from the one

already on the active 'X' chromosome. Once it became a neighbor of
the

other one, its future was assured.

Creation and intelligent design cannot answer the scientific questions

that evolution can. For example, why are the old world monkeys

enjoying color vision whereas the new world ones largely are not? If

these monkeys came from a single pair on the ark and have undergone

only harmful mutations since then, how is it even remotely

statistically likely that these mutations occurred only on one side of

the Atlantic?

In this series, I've avoided directly referencing science papers for

two main reasons:

1. This is the Internet, and I wanted ready and easily digestible

references that anyone reading this could click on and go to

immediately.

2. Most people (including myself) do not have ready online access to

the papers published in the refereed journals, and science education
is

so poor in the USA that people would not understand them anyway!

However, it's a good idea here to reference some of these with regard

to eye evolution because this is a favorite topic of creationists, and

I wanted to demonstrate that there is indeed a wealth of published

articles in peer-reviewed journals which directly address evolution -

something the creationists and intelligent designers cannot point to.

Comparison of color vision between old world and new world monkeys:

http://tinyurl.com/9m4qk

The evolution of eyes:

http://tinyurl.com/8ojq4

Optimization, constraint, and history in the evolution of eyes:

http://tinyurl.com/dyrrd

Molecular basis for tetrachromatic color vision:

http://tinyurl.com/c49qu

Even the most pessimistic estimates allow eyes to evolve in a few

hundred thousand years:

http://tinyurl.com/9dfvd

And finally a talkorigins.org article on color vision:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/vision.html

601. - 608.

http://tinyurl.com/22xpq

http://www.zoology.ubc.ca lecture notes

609.

The fossil record shows five major times of mass extinction and

subsequent rediversification of organisms:

The Ordovician-Silurian (440-450 million years ago). 27% of all

families and 57% of all genera became extinct.

The Devonian (375 million years ago). 19% of all families and 50% of

all genera went extinct.

The Permian-Triassic (251 million years ago). 57% of all families and

83% of all genera went extinct.

The Triassic-Jurassic (205 million years ago). 3% of all families and

48% of all genera went extinct.

The Cretaceous-Tertiary (65 million years ago). 17% of all families

and 50% of all genera went extinct.

Read more detail here:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/extinction/

This means that organisms were, for whatever reason, wiped out en
masse

and new organisms arose over time to replace them. The sixth major

extinction is going on right now. If there is no so-called

macroevolution, how did this repeated rediversification take place?

610.

If there is no so-called "macroevolution", where did a family of five
filoviruses come from?

http://tinyurl.com/7als7

Did they "vary" from the male and female "kind" of virus on the ark?
Did a god specially create five separate hemorrhagic viruses where
none would do? Or did they evolve?

611.

http://tinyurl.com/dwsjd

Details the evolution of the mammalian vagina. It had to be
macroevolution and none of it makes sense if you try to purvey it
through non-existent so-called intelligent so-called design
"pathways".

612.

Evolution of red and green color vision in vertebrates;

http://www.genetics.org/cgi/content/full/158/4/1697

613.

Cichlid fish in the East African Rift Valley lakes (also mentioned in
Richard Dawkins's "The Ancestor's Tale" pps 336-344:

http://hcgs.unh.edu/CichlidEvol/CichlidEvol.html

http://omniomix.com/inthenews.php?id=46150

There are three main lakes: Malawi, Tanganyika, and Victoria. each
containing about the same number of species, but each set of species
differing from the set in the other two lakes. The result of a
genetic survey in Victoria and surrounding aquatic bodies showed that
about 100,000 years ago (which ties in to geological dating of the
lake),

there began a diversification of species (in other words, there began
significant macroevolution).

614.

The idea that wings arose from gills is supported by this:

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/flap_those_gills_and_fly/

but it begs a parallel question: Wouldn't a gills-to-wings transition
require a simultaneous change in gas exchange? Yep! here it is:

http://pandasthumb.org/archives/2005/10/pharyngula_an_e.html

Macroevolution and an example of a prediction evolution science made
which was fulfilled!

615.

The axolotl:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Axolotl

http://www.axolotl.org/

This is not only an example of macroevolution, it's also almost a
single-organism transitional series, and it's also one that defies
explanation from the creationists and the so-called intelligent so-
called design advocates.

The axolotl has both gills and lungs, and can breathe through its skin
(why, if it was intelligently designed?!). It spends its whole life
in the larval stage (rather like many fundies who post messages to
alt.atheism) because it has lost the genetics to continue its growth
into adult form. It can evolve into an adult salamander when
artificially induced to do so, but this tends to shorten its life.

This begs so many questions as to make a person dizzy in trying to
figure out which to ask first.

Why would a god design a creature whose life is significantly shorter
when it grows up that if it retains childhood throughout its life?
Was this a mistake this god made? Is this the only way this god could
give humans a decent life span - by inducing neoteny in them? Did he
get the idea from the axolotl?

Did Noah have two axolotls on his ark? If so, how did they get there
from Mexico, and how did they return after the flood receded? Or were
there just two salamanders on the ark, in which case, macroevolution
must have taken place to arrive at the axolotl and all the other
salamanders which exist today.

The axolotl can regrow limbs. Why can't we, if we're the pinnacle of
creation? And if a brand new limb can be regrown from nothing, where
is the foundation for the creationist objection to macroevolution?

616.

http://tinyurl.com/89xae

Abstract: The phylogeny of Crocodylia offers an unusual twist on the

usual molecules versus morphology story. The true gharial (Gavialis

gangeticus) and the false gharial (Tomistoma schlegelii), as their

common names imply, have appeared in all cladistic morphological

analyses as distantly related species, convergent upon a similar

morphology. In contrast, all previous molecular studies have shown
them

to be sister taxa. We present the first phylogenetic study of

Crocodylia using a nuclear gene. We cloned and sequenced the c-myc

proto-oncogene from Alligator mississippiensis to facilitate primer

design and then sequenced an 1,100-base pair fragment that includes

both coding and noncoding regions and informative indels for one

species in each extant crocodylian genus and six avian outgroups.

Phylogenetic analyses using parsimony, maximum likelihood, and
Bayesian

inference all strongly agreed on the same tree, which is identical to

the tree found in previous molecular analyses: Gavialis and Tomistoma

are sister taxa and together are the sister group of Crocodylidae.

Kishino-Hasegawa tests rejected the morphological tree in favor of the

molecular tree. We excluded long-branch attraction and variation in

base composition among taxa as explanations for this topology. To

explore the causes of discrepancy between molecular and morphological

estimates of crocodylian phylogeny, we examined puzzling features of

the morphological data using a priori partitions of the data based on

anatomical regions and investigated the effects of different coding

schemes for two obvious morphological similarities of the two
gharials.

(Syst Biol. 2003 Jun;52(3):386-402)

617.

Why do humans start out life with a tail?

http://www.nurseminerva.co.uk/tailbud.htm

618.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v249/n5453/abs/249128a0.html

"Seafloor spreading theory seems to explain why the ancestors of a

green turtle (Chelonia mydas) subpopulation which now travels 2,000 km

from Brazil to breed at Ascension Island, were induced to swim

oceanwards for increasing distances during the gradual separation of

South America and Africa in the earliest Tertiary."

What does this have to do with macroevolution? Well if creationists

are going to narrowly and cluelessly define macroevolution to mean a

lizard gives birth to a bird, I have no problem defining it the other

way to include migratory species like the marine turtle C. mydas.
Even

though they did not speciate, they were still evolving, and their

lifestyle certainly underwent a macroevolution. The evidence shows

that as the ocean floor spread, a phenomenon we can see at work today,

the turtle was forced to migrate further and further.

The only alternative to this (to put this in the standard

creationist/ID dichotomy) is for an intelligent designer (aka the

"loving" god of the Christian Bible) to deliberately make life hard on

the turtles rather than create them with breeding grounds close to

where they live, or better yet, enable them to breed in the ocean

without ever coming ashore. What went wrong with *that* "intelligent"

design?

The only explanation that makes sense is the Theory of Evolution,
which

shows that turtles didn't have to go far from their breeding grounds

originally, but as the contients were forced apart, the distance they

were required to travel became greater and greater.

619.

Birds repopulate the continent from which they originally spread:

http://girlscientist.blogspot.com/2005/11/backtracking-birds-show-isl...

The birds' progress was traced with DNA from island to island and back

to repopulate the original continet from which they left.

There is no explanation for this from the ID crew except "Godidit

because Godwantedit". The only *science* in this comes from the

evolution camp.

620.

http://www.origins.tv/darwin/dinobirds.htm#Birds

Dinosaur to bird transitional information

621.

http://www.tim-thompson.com/trans-fossils.html

Macroevolution and transitional fossils from Roger J. Cuffey

622.

Transitional Fossils on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transitional_fossil

And a take on them by the Beeb:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A4351628

And more evidence on matters already covered:

http://www.agiweb.org/news/evolution.pdf

http://www.actionbioscience.org/evolution/benton2.html#Primer

623.

Anolis lizard;

http://0-www.search.eb.com.library.uor.edu/ebi/article-200476

624.

Human endogenous retroviruses:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/96/18/10254

625.

The tunicate tail:

http://tinyurl.com/avkgc

626.

Seeds of Diversity:

http://tinyurl.com/bbcov

627.

Evolution of the placenta:

http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=310

628.

Diversification of mammals:

http://www.newsroom.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/display.cgi?id=156

629.

Transitionals confined by geographic location as Punctuated Equilibria
predicted:

http://www.ebonmusings.org/evolution/evoevidence.html

630.

The human jaw:

http://tinyurl.com/d4aak

631.

Beneficial mutations in humans:

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoHumBenMutations.html

632.

Jurassic brachiopods of the genus Kutchithyris:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq%2Dintro%2Dto%2Dbiology.html

633.

Discussion of phylum-level evolution by an ex-creationist:

http://home.entouch.net/dmd/cambevol.htm

634.

Mosasaur evolution:

http://eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2005-11/smu-mfl111605.php

http://smu.edu/smunews/dallasaurus/

635.

Antibiotic resistance in bacteria:

http://aetiology.blogspot.com/2005/11/evolution-of-resistance-bacteri...

636.

Grasshoppers!

Chorthippus brunnaeus and C. biguttulus are all but indistinguishable
according to Richard Dawkins in "The Ancestor's Tale" (page 397). But
they do not interbreed in the wild and so are different species.
However, they are so recently (in geologic terms) separated that they
can interbreed. They're induced to do so by the temperature of their
head, as determined from the rate or frequency of their chirping. If
the female is artificially warmed or cooled to the temperature of the
other species, she will breed with it. Speciation is macroevolution.

637.

Hausdorf, B. 2001. Macroevolution in progress: competition between
semislugs and slugs resulting in ecological displacement and
ecological release. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society
74:387-398.

638.

And now a brief word to those intelligent design advocates who blather
ill-informed nonsense about junk DNA: yes, there really is junk DNA.
While some of that monumental wasteland that is not genes is indeed of
value, there's indisputable proof that massive tracts of it is junk.

http://tinyurl.com/9b5hr

"In contrast to parasitic bacteria and archaea with small genomes, P.
ubique has complete biosynthetic pathways for all 20 amino acids and
all but a few cofactors. P. ubique has no pseudogenes, introns,
transposons, extrachromosomal elements, or inteins; few paralogs; and
the shortest intergenic spacers yet observed for any cell."

The only explanation for Junk DNA is macroevolution. Or an idiot
designer.

Which is it?

639.

Bacterial evolution:

http://www.gate.net/~rwms/EvoMutations.html

640.

http://aetiology.blogspot.com/2005/11/of-dragons-and-microbes.html

"...using new DNA sequence data, Dr Fry and his colleagues found nine
venom toxin types that were shared between lizards and snakes. Seven
of these were previously only known from snake venoms, including one
that had only previously been reported in rattlesnake venom but was
sequenced by the team from the Bearded Dragon."

641.

"The fore-limb first appears in the 11.4 mm fetus, and the hind-limb
in the 15.3 mm fetus. The fore-limb develops progressively during
gestation, while the hind-limb disappears by the 38.9 mm fetus."

http://tinyurl.com/aguqj

"The Cetacea are group of animals which have completely lost their
hind limbs during the course of evolution as a result of their
entirely aquatic mode of life. It is known, however, that during their
embryonal period, the hind limb buds are temporarily present. The
control mechanisms of this regression are not yet understood, and
vestigial limbs can sometimes be found in adults. The aim of the
present study is to describe the course of hind limb rudimentation
during prenatal development of Stenella attenuata (Spotted dolphin) at
tissue and cell levels and compare the results with other natural or
experimentally induced amelias. Hind limb buds of dolphin embryos, CRL
10-30 mm, were examined histologically. Before total disappearance,
they show histodifferentiation comparable with other mammals."

http://tinyurl.com/ctbhw

Just like the human embryo's tail disappears: "The development and

disappearance of the human tail between stages 14 and 22 were studied

using scanning and transmission electron microscopy, supravital

staining and light microscopy. The tail is a prominent feature of the

human embryo during stage 14 and is composed of paired somites,

mesenchyme and extensions of the neural tube, notochord and gut. The

tail grows with the embryo through early stage 17 when it extends more

than a millimeter from the trunk. Overgrowth by the trunk at the base

of the tail may account for the loss of part of its length during late

stage 17 and stage 18. However, during stage 17 cells begin to die in

all structures throughout the tail. Cell death continues in the

succeeding stages reaching massive numbers by stages 18 and 19, and
the

tail becomes less and less prominent with developmental time."

http://tinyurl.com/9anut

642.

An example of a beneficial frame-shift mutation:

http://www.nmsr.org/nylon.htm

643.

"...amphibians in general may comprise two classes of olfactory

receptors. Whereas teleost fish, including the goldfish Carassius

auratus, possess only class I receptors, the 'living fossil' Latimeria

chalumnae is endowed with both receptor classes; interestingly, most
of

the class II genes turned out to be pseudogenes."

http://tinyurl.com/83jw7

644.

"...mammals generally have about 1000 genes for odor receptors. Of

these genes, only a portion code for functional odor receptors.
Humans

have 347 functional odor receptor genes; the other genes have nonsense

mutations."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olfactory

645.

http://tinyurl.com/agnwk

"A comparison was made with the black pigmented subspecies Proteus

anguinus parkelj (black proteus), which has a normal eye structure. In

the retina of the black proteus, we found principal rods, red-
sensitive

cones and a third photoreceptor type, which might represent a blue- or

UV-sensitive cone. Photoreceptors in the regressed eye of the blind

cave salamanders from the Planina cave contained degenerate outer

segments, consisting of a few whorled discs and irregular clumps of

membranes....An even more pronounced degeneration was observed in the

photoreceptors of the animals derived from the Otovec doline, which
are

completely devoid of an outer segment, most of them not even
possessing

an inner segment. Even in some of these highly degenerate cells, the

presence of rhodopsin could be detected in the plasma membrane...."

646.

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/mysterious_trichoplax/#co...

Trichoplax - an intermediate form. Or is it a representative of the

first few steps towards life? What is its purpose? Where is the

design here? Only IDiot creationists have to ask that question.

Evolutionists already have it covered.

647.

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/2004/articles_2004_haussler.html

"When Bats and Humans Were One and the Same"

648.

Hemaglobin:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/1999/10/991005071327.htm

649.

The Lancelet Amphioxus is mentioned by Richard Dawkins in "The
Ancestor's Tale", and more can be read about its direct relationship
with us here:

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/2000/articles_2000_vertebrate.html

650.

Creationists often claim that the near perfect parallel between the

human and chimpanzee genomes is accounted for by the fact that we

perform similar functions, although if you ask them to specify these

functions, they quickly run away. However, if this is true, how is it

that, as Richard Dawkins specifices on page 553 of "The Ancestor's

Tale" that "Chemically, we are more similar to some bacteria than some

bacteria are to other bacteria."?

Clearly macroevolution *had* to have occurred in order for there to be

such massive differences at the cellular level. Otherwise why would a

god have made such differences if all these cells "perform similar

functions"?

651.

Another "missing link" between apes, humans and monkeys has been
found:

http://www.discover.com/web-exclusives/missing-links-found/

652.

http://tinyurl.com/7gzuu

reveals that if evolution were nonsense, recent advances in tracing

obestatin would not have been achievable with such relative ease:

"Hsueh explained that before he and his colleagues started the
project,

they used the genome projects' information to create a database of

GPCRs that grouped them according to their evolutionary

relatedness....Hsueh and colleagues narrowed the search by focusing on

sequences that have been conserved during hundreds of millions of
years

of evolution - in organisms as diverse as fish and humans - because

these are likely to be of greatest biological importance."

653.

Butterflies:

654.

The evolutionary history of Sleeping Sickness:

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/2001/articles_2001_Phylogeny.html

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/1998/Sleeping1998.html

655.

"Exploring receptor genes in aquatic mammals led to the discovery of a

large array of only class II receptor genes in the dolphin Stenella

Coeruleoalba; however, all of these genes were found to be

non-functional pseudogenes."

http://tinyurl.com/83jw7

656.

Simple prelude to speciation (macroevolution):

http://tinyurl.com/8tylz

657.

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/2004/articles_2004_Before_DNA.html

RNA life forms

658.

Darwin's finches:

http://www.rit.edu/~rhrsbi/GalapagosPages/DarwinFinch.html

659.

Evolution of the cichlid mandible:

http://pharyngula.org/index/weblog/comments/evolution_of_the_cichlid_...

660.

Barnacles!

Darwin spent a huge portion of his later years investigating
barnacles.

The reason is that they are wonderful exemplars of macroevolution. I

defy any IDiot creationist to claim that barnacles are all the same

"kind" and then pretend that macroevolution does not occur.

Barnacles look like limpets, but they're crustaceans. There is a

family of barnacles which are parasites. They're called sacculina and

they parasitize crabs. They have no shell or bodily segmentacean and

they begin their relationship with their crabby host by castrating it.

This serves, presumably, to focus the crab on feeding (thereby

benefitting sacculina) rather than on breeding and dying, which is the

sole purpose of pretty much every living thing.

You can read about this in Richard Dawkins's "The Ancestor's tale" on

page 433.

661.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9936993/site/newsweek/page/2/

Newsweek: "How could you tell that SARS came originally from bats and

not from civets, in which the virus was previously identified?"

Mary Pearl, president of the Wildlife Trust: "When we sampled a
variety

of bats, there were different versions of the virus in them. It had

been in them long enough to evolve into different forms. That wasn't

true of civets. Also, civets in the market carried the virus, but

farmed and wild civets did not. It all added up. The civet was just

another victim of the SARS virus. It picked it up in the marketplace

from the bats."

Newsweek: "What led you to suspect the horseshoe bat in the first

place?"

Mary Pearl, president of the Wildlife Trust "Jonathan Epstein, our

field scientist on the case, was looking at bat populations because of

Nipah virus - a deadly virus that emerged in humans in Malaysia in

1999. Nipah virus is harmless in fruit bats, but in people it causes

high fever, brain inflammation, seizures and death. It emerged in pig

farms in formerly forested areas when it passed from bats to pigs and

then to farmers. The Malaysian government moved quickly to shut down

those pig farms and put an end to the spread of the disease in

Malaysia. Subsequently there have been outbreaks in Bangladesh, so it

will be important to continue monitoring fruit bats for this virus

wherever the bats are found."

662.

Heart evolution:

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/2000/articles_2000_hearts.html

663.

Fossil evidence for macroevolution:

http://www.windows.ucar.edu/tour/link=/cool_stuff/tour_evolution_3.html

664.

Recent genetic sequencing of the genome of the protozoan Trypanosoma

cruzi, which causes Chaga's disease, reveals macroevolution:

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/309/5733/409

The genome literally doubled in size. This wasn't new information

since it was merely a repeat of the original genome, but it meant
that,

since every gene was now duplicated, the "spare" genes were free to

mutate into other genes, increasing the information content of the

genome without the organism suffering in any way at all.

T. cruzi can also increase the information content of the genome of
the

organisms it affects:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/extract/292/7/794-b

The fact of the massive duplication of genetic material (talk about

junk DNA!) made T. cruzi particularly difficult to sequence. The

standard speed methods of sequencing (called "shotgun" and

"gene-walking") wouldn't work, so the whole genome had to be addressed

in toto.

665.

Detractors of evolution often conflate it with abiogenesis - the
origin

of life, and claim dead chemicals cannot become alive, but they can

sure act that way:

http://pubs.acs.org/cen/news/83/i40/8340walk.html

"Scientists have designed a molecule that walks across a surface in a

straight line, putting one bond in front of the other. Such purposeful

control of a molecule's motion is vital for advancing fields such as

molecular self-assembly, molecular machines, and computing."

Since science has shown that such a thing can exist, detractors can no

longer claim that the precursors of life were "dead" chemicals".

http://home.houston.rr.com/apologia/orgel.htm

http://informationcentre.tripod.com/abiogenesis.html

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/abioprob/default.htm

Proto cells:

http://tinyurl.com/8fv5a

Stanley Miller and Harold Urey produced amino acids, the building

blocks of life, back in 1953:

http://www.chem.duke.edu/~jds/cruise_chem/Exobiology/miller.html

Other experiments have produced similar results using a variety of

simulated early Earth environments:

http://www.ncseweb.org/icons/icon1millerurey.html

These same chemicals are found naturally in space, and doubtlessly

bathe whatever planets speed through them. 92 of them have come to

Earth on a single meteorite:

http://www.meteorlab.com/METEORLAB2001dev/murchy.htm

An introduction to evolution:

http://anthro.palomar.edu/synthetic/default.htm

Cells hint at life's origin:

Cradle of life?:

Abiogenesis:

http://informationcentre.tripod.com/abiogenesis.html

Origin of life on Earth:

http://home.houston.rr.com/apologia/orgel.htm

Factories of life:

Lab molecules mimic life:

Mechanism for evolution described:

Early animal evolution:

http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Ecology/early_animal_evolution.htm

Smallest genome a lot smaller than smallest modern cell:

http://mednews.stanford.edu/news_releases_html/2001/febreleases/bioet...

Precambrian to cambrian:

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/topics/evolution/PSCF12-97Miller.html

Early diversification:

http://cas.bellarmine.edu/tietjen/Ecology/early_animal_evolution.htm

Transitional forms:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

Primitive fish different:

Fish with fingers:

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/science/DailyNews/fishfossil0312.html

Snake with legs:

Ant-wasp evolution:

http://research.amnh.org/entomology/social_insects/publications/ms_sp...

Mosquitoes still evolving:

Origins of flight:

4-winged dinos:

Dog evolution:

http://www.provet.co.uk/online/dogs/evolution%20of%20the%20dog.htm

Human evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

Computer simulated evolution:

http://necsi.org/postdocs/sayama/sdsr/

Evolution vs. creationism debates:

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/science/creationism/debates.html

Evolution not "atheist religion":

http://www.catholic.net/RCC/Periodicals/Inside/01-97/creat2.html

29 Evidences supporting evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/comdesc/

The evolution of the eye:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/eye.html

The woodpecker's tongue:

http://omega.med.yale.edu/~rjr38/Woodpecker.htm

Radiometric dating - a Christian perpective:

http://www.asa3.org/ASA/resources/Wiens.html#page

Noah's ark never happened:

http://www.abarnett.demon.co.uk/atheism/noahs_ark.html

Ex-creationist on why young Earth creationism doesn't work:

http://www.glenn.morton.btinternet.co.uk/

Another ex-creationist:

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Thebes/7755/

Creationists cannot define "kind":

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/kinds.htm

Even evolutionists believe in God!:

http://www.exn.ca/Stories/1997/04/04/01.asp

General anti-creationism/pro-evolution FAQs:

http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/index.html

http://www.rice.edu/armadillo/Sciacademy/riggins/newindex.htm

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-meritt/complexity.html

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/dave_matson/young-earth/specif...

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Creationism.htm

http://vuletic.com/hume/cefec/index.html

Questionable creationist credentials:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/credentials.html

Even dyed-in-the-wool creationists think a lot of their arguments are

bad:

http://www.answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/dont_use.asp

Only 600 genes separate mice from men:

Whale evolution:

http://darla.neoucom.edu/DEPTS/ANAT/Pakicetidnew.html

How could an eye evolve?

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/eye.html

Are mutations harmful?

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/mutations.html

Early human evolution:

http://anthro.palomar.edu/homo/default.htm

Same errors in human and chimp DNA:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/molgen/

Humans and chimps not so different:

http://www.mindfully.org/GE/GE4/Humans-Over-Primates-NOT12apr02.htm

The evidence for human evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/homs/

Fossil bridges land and sea:

Feathery fossil shed light on origins:

Archaeopteryx:

http://www.ummz.lsa.umich.edu/birds/birddivresources/evolhist.html

wings for speed:

Bones make feathers fly

Changing one gene launches new fly species:

http://www2.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2003-12/uocm-cog120403.php

Transitional vertebrate fossils:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-transitional.html

Transition to mammals:

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/2437/therapsd.htm

The fossil record:

http://www.nogs.org/cuffeyart.html

Transition to land:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/link/dyk.html

origin of feathers:

http://www.cmnh.org/dinoarch/1997Dec/msg00031.html

Sickle-clawed bird:

http://www.dinosauria.com/jdp/archie/sickle.htm

Different species with the same junk DNA:

http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~lindsay/creation/dna_virus.html

Evidences for Evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/evolution-research.html

jury-rigged "design":

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/jury-rigged.html

666.

Tom Ray and Tierra

The book "Virtual Organisms" by Mark Ward discusses artificial life.

Can "digital organisms" macroevolve? The answer is a resounding

"Yes!".

In January 1990, Tom Ray populated an enclosed computer memory space

(which he called "Tierra") with virtual organisms and started it

running. They were 80 bytes long. They were given the ability to

reproduce and they also died off. Soon an organism 79 bytes long

appeared, and because it could reproduce faster, it was naturally

selected and it began to take over Tierra. Ray expected something
like

this to happen if the simulation was indeed modelling aspects of

evolution.

Then something totally unexpected happened. An organism 45 bytes long

appeared. Ray couldn't understand what had happened at first. 45

bytes seemed too small to survive. On deeper investigation, it turned

out that the new organism was a parasite. It used the larger
organisms

to reproduce itself without having to carry those instructions itself.

Macroevolution had produced a strong competitor. Soon, the larger

organisms had evolved to hide their reproductive instructions so that

they could not be parasitized, but parasites evolved to overcome this

immunity.

In short, Tierra was behaving exactly as The Theory of Evolution

predicts it should.

Other simulations, such as Avida:

http://www.carlzimmer.com/articles/2005/articles_2005_Avida.html

and other digital life such as Amoeba, Cosmos and Nidus are

demonstrating aspects of evolution too. None of these simulations is

intended to be a exact duplicate of evolutionary conditions. For
that,

you would neeed an entire planet for your simulation, but what they do

show is that macroevolution is a fact of life, even artificial life.

This concludes my set of references to examples of macroevolution or

evidence supporting such, and with that, creationism and its
supporters

are refuted utterly.

Budikka

haiku jones

Jul 30, 2010, 6:33:12 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 3:19 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
>
> > Budikka
>
> Nobodys got this kind of silly religious faith in naturalism . Not
> even Hitchens  Dawkins, or yourself   :http://www.simpletoremember.com/vitals/did-life-form-by-accident.htm
> . (This is one time that you should believe what this atheist Biolgist
> has to say in the site) .

> Id like to suggest that as an atheist, you
> dont want God to exist because you dont want to be owned by him
> thereby making you morally accountable for the way you use foul and
> vile language in here in addition to lifestyle choices.

I'd like to suggest that since you are, unfortunately,
utterly unattractive to the opposite sex, your reason
for turning to God was to take your disastrous
inability to get sex and turn it -- in your own mind --
into some kind of seeming virtue, a big win rather
than a tragic series of losses.

See Davey? If you can arrogantly make up the
motives and life stories of others in spite of your
utter and complete ignorance of either, than
two can play that game.

Are we having fun? Wanna go again?

HJ

Davej

Jul 30, 2010, 7:04:51 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 5:19 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> Id like to suggest that as an atheist, you dont want God to exist
> because you dont want to be owned by him thereby making you
> morally accountable for the way you use foul and vile language
> in here in addition to lifestyle choices.  I mean no offense,
> because i used to do the same thing when i wanted to be an
> 'atheist' .   Regards.

Oh good grief, read Exodus 20-31. The God of Moses is an absurd,
ignorant, invented clown. Is the creator of the universe really going
to deliver rules about gored cattle falling into pits and how to
properly sell your daughter into slavery or how to beat your slave to
death with a rod? Grow up already. If Gawd really exists then he
hasn't yet visited this craphole planet.

Virgil

Jul 30, 2010, 7:29:27 PM7/30/10
In article
<295b75cd-40ce-4a38...@q35g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
"IlBe...@gmail.com" <ilbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
> > http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
> >
> > Budikka
>
> There isnt a shred of evidence for macro evolution. Not a shred.
> Thats why its called an unsupported THEORY. Abiogenesis has to be
> proven first before macro evolution can even be considered. The
> worlds foremost ATHEIST Biologist and co founder of the DNA
> structure, Dr. Francis Crick, affirmed the probability of
> abiogenesis is about 10x40,000 th power chance.

I very much doubt that Crick said anything so stupidly expressed.
And no one knows enough to estimate such probabilities anyway.

> This is why no one
> is really an atheist

That one person says god must exist, no matter how much evidence he
presents, does not mean that anyone else must believe it.

There still exists a flat earth society even today, so that even massive
proofs of a claim will not force everyone to believe it.

And "proofs" of existence of those alleged gods are more messy than
massive.

> I once followed the deciet for 10 adult years

During which time you did not learn to spell very well.

Virgil

Jul 30, 2010, 7:33:03 PM7/30/10
In article
<663227e5-759a-4c30...@g35g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
"IlBe...@gmail.com" <ilbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I mean no offense

No one, except possibly those who are massively both inept and stupid,
could be that offensive without meaning to be.

Christopher A. Lee

Jul 30, 2010, 7:40:51 PM7/30/10
On Fri, 30 Jul 2010 15:19:09 -0700 (PDT), "IlBe...@gmail.com"
<ilbe...@gmail.com> wrote:

>I mean no
>offense,

Liar.

> because i used to do the same thing when i wanted to be an
>'atheist' . Regards.

You were never an atheist, liar.

skye...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2010, 8:13:11 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 3:12 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
>
> > Budikka
>
> There isnt a shred of evidence for macro evolution. Not a shred.

<Ahem>

Tiktaalik
Ambulocetus

If those two fossils aren't good enough for you, may I point out the
Monotremes, the echidna, and the duck-billed platypus, primitive
mammals that still have some reptilian characteristics.

> Thats why its called an unsupported THEORY.

Only by you clueless godbots. The ToE is one of the best-supported
sciences there is.

And Davey, my lyin' lil fundy friend, as you've been told time and
time again, "theory" means "an explanation that takes into account all
the data currently known."

>  Abiogenesis has to be
> proven first before macro evolution can even be considered.

Nope. And at any rate, we know that abiogenesis happend. All we're
arguing about is *how*. We think it came about by natural processes -
chemistry. You think it happened by magic.

But evolution, including that false creationist idea of "macro-
evolution" happened. That's a stone fact, and none of your belly-
aching is going to change it.

>  The
> worlds foremost ATHEIST Biologist and co founder of the DNA
> structure,  Dr. Francis Crick,  affirmed the probability of
> abiogenesis is about 10x40,000 th power chance.

We've been over this before, Davey. The probability of abiogenesis is
exactly 1, since we're here having this discussion.

And remember, those numbers you quote above are based on the false
assumption that non-magical abiogenesis had to happen all at once and
in one place, and produce a complex, modern life form. In actuality,
the process went on in many places on earth for millions (perhaps
billions) of years, and the initial product was *waaaaaaay* simpler
than a modern bacterium.

>   This is why no one
> is really an atheist and hence, it is a non validated, non tenable
> secular religion  of willful self deciet  .

Oh, Davey, you are *so* misinformed. You're *surrounded* by "real"
atheists.

>  I once followed the
> deciet for 10 adult years  until  I had to abandon the willful self
> deceit because i didnt want God interfering with my lifesytle
> choices .  You can change too and God will help you in the process.

And I ask again: given that I live like a damn nun, just what "life-
style choices" have I become an atheist to have? Please do me the
common courtesy of answering this time.

Brenda Nelson, A.A.#34
BAAWA Knight
EAC Professor of Feline Thermometrics and Cat-Herding
skyeyes nine at cox dot net OR
skyeyes nine at yahoo dot com

skye...@yahoo.com

Jul 30, 2010, 8:16:29 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 4:33 pm, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <663227e5-759a-4c30-8fb3-86e0a35c8...@g35g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,

>  "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I mean no offense
>
> No one, except possibly those who are massively both inept and stupid,
> could be that offensive without meaning to be.

Unfortunately, that describes Davey to a "T."

Ken

Jul 30, 2010, 8:43:00 PM7/30/10
On Jul 30, 3:12 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
There isnt a shred of evidence..........

EXACTLY WHAT YOU'RE PROVIDED AFTER SEVEN MONTHS
NOTHING
ZILCH
NADA
ZIP
ZERO

You keep yammering about your proof, your evidence, BUT
Where are your "vast evidences"?
Where is your "proof"?
Where is your "supporting evidence"?
Where is this "proven historical evidence"?
Where is this "vast evidence of a personal nature"?
Where is this "very compelling evidence"?
Where is your "plenty of historical
evidence"?

WHERE THE FUCK IS IT, ASSHOLE?

Syd M.

Jul 31, 2010, 2:09:54 PM7/31/10
On Jul 30, 6:12 pm, "IlBeBa...@gmail.com" <ilbeba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 30, 5:05 pm, Budikka666 <budik...@netscape.net> wrote:
>
> >http://whyevolutionistrue.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/interview-with-hit...
>
> > Budikka
>
> There isnt a shred of evidence for macro evolution.

Stop lying, Davie.

PDW