Aspects, and their meanings and names.

HelenLSmit

Feb 3, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/3/99

Could someone please answer this question

I know two planets at zero degrees is a conjunct
and if they are across from each other there are said to be in opposition
and I hav read some here talk of the 15 degree aspects...
000= conjunct
015=?
030=semi-sextile
045=semi-square
060=sextile
075=?
090=square
105=?
120=trine
135=sesquadrate
150=inconjunct
165=?
180=opposition

What are names of the 18 degree aspects
009=
018=
027=
036=bi-quintile
045=semi-square
054=
063=
072=Quintile
081=
090=Square
099=
108=
117=
126=
135=
144=Biquintile
153=
162=
171=
180=opposition

What are the names of the 20 degree aspects?

020=semi-novile ???
030=semi-sextile
040=novile
050=
060=sextile
070=
080=binovile
090=square
100=
110=
120=trine
130=
140=
150=inconjunct
160=quatro-novile
170=
180=opposition

Any help would be nice

Visit my webpage:
http://members.aol.com/helenlsmit/life1/index.htm

"All service ranks the same with God:
there is no last nor first"
Robert Browning
1812-1889

SeaGtGruff

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
Helen...@aol.com wrote:

The above list is of multiples of 9 degrees, not 18.

> What are the names of the 20 degree aspects?
>
> 020=semi-novile ???
> 030=semi-sextile
> 040=novile
> 050=
> 060=sextile
> 070=
> 080=binovile
> 090=square
> 100=
> 110=
> 120=trine
> 130=
> 140=
> 150=inconjunct
> 160=quatro-novile
> 170=
> 180=opposition

And the above list is of multiples of 10 degrees, not 20.

The names of aspects are *generally* derived from the fraction of a circle to
which they correspond, although there are some exceptions, and aspects often
have two or more possible names. The names of the fractions are usually taken
from Greek or Latin.

As far as multiples of 18 degrees are concerned, they are all twentieths of a
circle, so they belong to the 20th Harmonic (abbreviated 20H). The 20H aspects
are as follows:

An 18-degree aspect is one-twentieth of a circle, and is called a "vigintile"
(from "viginti," Latin for "twenty"). It can also be called a "semi-decile"
(i.e., half of one-tenth of a circle). The vigintile is recognized in some
astrology texts, but is a very minor or weak aspect-- although it's
significance might be increased if it's part of a larger 20H pattern-- hence a
lot of astrologers completely ignore it.

A 36-degree aspect is two-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called a
"bi-vigintile," but fractions are usually reduced to their lowest terms, so a
36-degree aspect is one-tenth of a circle. It's usually called a "decile"
(from "deka," Greek for "ten"), although it's also called a "semi-quintile"
(i.e., half of one-fifth of a circle). The decile is recognized in many
astrology texts, but is considered to be a minor aspect, so a lot of
astrologers ignore it.

A 54-degree aspect is three-twentieths of a circle-- which doesn't reduce
further-- so it would be called a "tri-vigintile" or "tre-vigintile." And 54
degrees is half of 108 degrees, so a 54-degree aspect could also be called a
"semi-tre-decile" (or half of three-tenths), although I think that
"sesqui-decile" (or one-and-a-half tenths) is a little bit easier to say.
Astrology texts rarely (if ever) mention the tre-vigintile. As far as
strength, it seems correct to assume that the tri-vigintile is on a par with
the vigintile, and is a very minor aspect. Two planets separated by 54 degrees
would normally be read as within orb of a sextile, or perhaps within orb of a
septile.

A 72-degree aspect is four-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called a
"quadra-vigintile," "quadri-vigintile," or "quatro-vigintile." It can be
reduced to two-tenths, so it could also be called a "bi-decile." However, when
it's reduced to lowest terms, it is one-fifth, so it's usually called a
"quintile." Although the quintile is recognized by many astrology texts, it's
usually considered to be a minor aspect, and not all astrologers use it. Some
astrologers consider it to be a major aspect which has been neglected.

A 90-degree aspect is five-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called a
"quinti-vigintile," or something like that. But it reduces to one-fourth, so
it's usually called a "square," and has also been called a "quartile" or
"quadrate." The square is one of the major aspects, and is probably used by
all astrologers.

A 108-degree aspect is six-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called a
"hexa-vigintile," or something like that. But it reduces to three-tenths, so
it's usually called a "tre-decile" or "tri-decile" (sometimes shortened to
"trecile," which I don't care for). It could also be called a
"sesqui-quintile" (or one-and-a-half fifths). The tre-decile is usually
recognized by astrology texts which recognize the decile, and its strength is
(probably) on a par with the decile. But like the decile, the tre-decile is
ignored by many astrologers.

A 126-degree aspect is seven-twentieths of a circle, so it would be called a
"septa-vigintile," "hepta-vigintile," or something like that. It doesn't
reduce, and is (probably) on a par with the vigintile and tre-vigintile. It is
rarely (if ever) mentioned by astrology texts, and is completely ignored by
most astrologers. If two planets were 126 degrees apart, they would normally
be said to be within orb of a trine.

A 144-degree aspect is eight-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called an
"octa-vigintile." It reduces to four-tenths, so it could also be called a
"quadra-decile." But when reduced to lowest terms, it's two-fifths, so it's
usually called a "bi-quintile," and is (probably) on a par with the quintile.
Astrologers who consider the quintile to be major also consider the bi-quintile
to be major, and astrologers who use the quintile use the bi-quintile, too.

A 162-degree aspect is nine-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called a
"nona-vigintile." It doesn't reduce to lower terms, and is (probably) on a par
with the vigintile. Like the tre-vigintile and hepta-vigintile, the
nona-vigintile is rarely (if ever) mentioned in astrology texts, and most
astrologers completely ignore it.

A 180-degree aspect is ten-twentieths of a circle, so it could be called a
"deca-vigintile." It reduces to five-tenths, so it could also be called a
"quinti-decile," or whatever. But when reduced to lowest terms, it is one-half
of a circle. As such, it has been called a "binile" by some harmonic
astrologers, but it's traditionally called an "opposition" (which means "placed
against"). It is one of the major aspects, and is probably used by all
astrologers.

We could continue adding 18 degrees, getting 198 degrees, 216 degrees, 234
degrees, and so on, but it's customary to take the shorter distance around the
circle. A 198-degree aspect is a "waning nona-vigintile"; a 216-degree aspect
is a "waning bi-quintile"; and so on.

360 degrees (which reduces to 0 degrees) is twenty-twentieths, or ten-tenths,
or five-fifths, or a whole circle. It's called a "conjunction," but I believe
that some harmonic astrologers have called it a "monile."

In theory, any fractional portion of a circle might be an aspect. However,
some portions of a circle are so minor that any influence they might have is
either obscured by other nearby (stronger) aspects, or is too weak to notice.
For example, the hepta-vigintile (126 degrees) probably gets "swallowed up" by
the trine (120 degrees), although it might be read as a trine with a slightly
different "flavor" than a "pure" trine. In practice, only those fractions of a
circle which are recognized as having noticeable influences are called
"aspects."

I could continue with the 15-degree angle and its multiples, or the 20-degree
angle and its multiples, and so on, but I hope you now understand how their
names would be derived.

There's no reason why astrologers should continue to use aspect names based on
Greek or Latin, other than tradition. In the case of "unnamed aspects," it
might be best to simply refer to their fractional equivalents-- such as "the
7/30th aspect," or "the 4/15th aspect"-- but it seems to have become customary
with some astrologers to simply use the number of degrees. For example, they
might write "Sun-135-Moon" instead of "the Sun sesqui-quadrate (or
sesqui-square) the Moon," or "Mars-144-Saturn" instead of "Mars bi-quintile
Saturn." Either way-- using the fraction, or using the number of degrees--
this eliminates the problem of concocting lengthy tongue-twisting names derived
from Greek or Latin, as well as the problem of inventing glyphs for "new"
aspects.

Michael Rideout

Edmond H. Wollmann

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
HelenLSmit wrote:

> Could someone please answer this question
>
> What are the names of the 20 degree aspects?
>
> 020=semi-novile ???
> 030=semi-sextile
> 040=novile
> 050=
> 060=sextile
> 070=
> 080=binovile
> 090=square
> 100=
> 110=
> 120=trine
> 130=
> 140=
> 150=inconjunct
> 160=quatro-novile
> 170=
> 180=opposition
>
> Any help would be nice
>
> Visit my webpage:
> http://members.aol.com/helenlsmit/life1/index.htm

Aspects reflect vibrational interrelationship between planets and points
within the horoscope. Since harmonics is the division of the circle (the
whole) it is obviously logical that this is so. They reflect the
geometric configuration within the circle and define the INTEGRATION OR
DISINTEGRATION of the whole. the circle is the symbol of the soul or
entire entity. The division of it is symbolic of its descent into
matter, because negative or separative energy is the PROPELLANT of
spirit and manifests as materiality.

The conjunction which has an angular value of 0 reflects the beginning,
of symbolic relationship within the whole and a release of new
potentials or patterns, it is the seed. it is based on the divisional
line of the circle. focus and blending of the 2.

The semisextile (30 degrees) reflects the growth of the seed and its
consolidation within materiality. All aspects including this one from
here are WAXING in emergence (to the opposition). Based on the
icosahedron.

The Novile (40 degrees) reflects completion or perfection-the
concretization or establishment of anything in physicality. Fruition.
All things physical work in cycles of 4 and 40 in materiality. The 4
dimensions template.

The semisquare (45) is a portion of developmental tension found within
the square, it reflects action and interfunctional incorporation of the
square because it is the midpoint of the square. based on the cube.

The septile (51'25") reflects the mystical and metaphysical direction,
unconscious and higher octive creation for spiritual fulfillment of
specific goals. The razors edge. It is based on the interlaced
tetrahedra.

Sextile (60 degrees) is the supportive element reflecting the
opportunity
for dissemination of developmental energy contained within the square or
opposition. The practical application of knowledge. It is based on the
Octahedron. It is the two sided pyramid and reflects the growth pattern
and is the cause OF the reflected DNA pattern.

Quintile (72 degrees) is reflective of creative transformation and
application, the expression of individuality, talent and creative
expression. It is based on the dodecahedron.

Square (90 degrees) the physicalization of spirit. Developmental tension
requiring action and fulfillment. The apparency of contradiction and
separation. The establishment of belief. Based on the square.

Bi-septile-(102' 50) the exteriorization of the septile.

Trine (120 degrees) The harmonious integrated aspects of the personality
as belief, emotion and thought. The trinity of identity. Integrity. The
trine ties the circle together comfortably as a complimentary force to
the divisional opposition. Ease through the following of inspiration,
bliss and excitement. Based on the triangle. Positive energy that holds
the DNA creation together.

Sesquiquadrate (135) the disseminated semisquare.

The inconjunct (150) the adjustment of the perspective of ego through
the discernment (opening) and values interaction (closing) with the
projected versions of itself on the identity's way back to
transcendence.

The opposition (180)The polarization, projection, and externalization of
the self into objective reality. The division of the whole self. Tension
awareness requiring resolution, incorporation and reintegration. Time
and space. Physicalized versions of the self. illumination. The meeting
of the self through projected versions in the apparently external
reality.

All ideas then are seeded, expanded, established, externalized,
confronted and repolarized over and over to ever expanding levels of
actualization. The process to go through in the becoming of what we
already are. The closing aspects (from opposition back to conjunction)
reflect the integrating aspects of the expereinced polarization and
exteriorization of the self in physicality, in preparation for the next
seeding of the idea to be expressed. The last 6 signs like the last or
closing aspects represent the externalized versions of the first. Hence
i.e. the opening trine CREATES what the closing trine DISSEMINATES. So
if you moon and Sun aspect for example are in the opening trine, you
will be concerned with creative extension of the life energy (the Sun),
if they are in closing trine you will be more concerned with the
administation and dissemination of the life energy. This can be applied
to all aspects waxing and waning.

Recognize however, that this is just the way we have chosen to
experience the self in this dimension. There really is no division, it
is all there now. The whole self splaying out the white light in many
different colors through the prism of persona. An exciting exploration
and trip defined by the interesting and sequencial illusion of time and
space.
Just a way to look in every door on the trip down "Hallway A".

"Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and
joy to everyone that rides along!" ELO "Out of the Blue"

--
Edmond H. Wollmann P.M.A.F.A.
© 1999 Altair Publications, SAN 299-5603

Rick

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99
In article <36BA80...@yahooo.com>,

Edmond H. Wollmann <arctu...@yahooo.com> wrote:

>Aspects reflect vibrational interrelationship between planets and points
>within the horoscope.

Vibrational? WTF does that mean? Or is it just another meaningless
buzz word to impress the rubes?

Widdershins

Feb 4, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/4/99

It is obviously logical that you haven't the vaguest notion of what
you're talking about. I've pointed this out before, in responses to
this psuedo-scientific new-age mumbo-jumbo. The harmonic to any
frequency is the multiple of the basic frequency.

Snip of the remainder of Wollmann Astroscreed.

Sorry, Helen, you've been taken in by a fraud.

Widdershins
PMAFA

anonym™

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

"Edmond H. Wollmann" wrote:

> HelenLSmit wrote:
> >
> > Could someone please answer this question
> >
> > I know two planets at zero degrees is a conjunct

SNIP!

> Aspects reflect vibrational interrelationship between planets

No, they don't!

I debunked that fatheaded idea a couple of days ago!

Why are you still spewing that AstroBilge?

You know it's all a lie!

SNIP!

HelenLSmit

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

In article <36BAA5C1...@pacbell.net>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?anonym=99?=
<ano...@pacbell.net> writes:

>No, they don't!
>
>I debunked that fatheaded idea a couple of days ago!
>
>Why are you still spewing that AstroBilge?
>
>You know it's all a lie!
>
>SNIP!

I'm Ignoring you

Helen

HelenLSmit

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

In article <36c09209...@news.concentric.net>, sini...@concentric.net
(Widdershins) writes:

>t is obviously logical that you haven't the vaguest notion of what
>you're talking about. I've pointed this out before, in responses to
>this psuedo-scientific new-age mumbo-jumbo. The harmonic to any
>frequency is the multiple of the basic frequency.
>
>Snip of the remainder of Wollmann Astroscreed.
>
>Sorry, Helen, you've been taken in by a fraud.
>
>Widdershins
>PMAFA

Im Ignoring you

HelenLSmit

Feb 5, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/5/99

<arctu...@yahooo.com> writes:

>Aspects reflect vibrational interrelationship between planets and points
>within the horoscope. Since harmonics is the division of the circle (the
>whole) it is obviously logical that this is so. They reflect the
>geometric configuration within the circle and define the INTEGRATION OR
>DISINTEGRATION of the whole. the circle is the symbol of the soul or
>entire entity. The division of it is symbolic of its descent into
>matter, because negative or separative energy is the PROPELLANT of
>spirit and manifests as materiality.

Thank you for explaing this. Strange that many of the souveniers I have
collectred over time are circles, and that I am fascinated by the circle.

>The conjunction which has an angular value of 0 reflects the beginning,
>of symbolic relationship within the whole and a release of new
>potentials or patterns, it is the seed. it is based on the divisional
>line of the circle. focus and blending of the 2.
>
>The semisextile (30 degrees) reflects the growth of the seed and its
>consolidation within materiality. All aspects including this one from
>here are WAXING in emergence (to the opposition). Based on the
>icosahedron.
>
>The Novile (40 degrees) reflects completion or perfection-the
>concretization or establishment of anything in physicality. Fruition.
>All things physical work in cycles of 4 and 40 in materiality. The 4
>dimensions template.

Could you explain this further? The 4 dimensions template. Am I being foolish,
or are you referring to the 4 dimesnions, length, breadth, width, and
space-time?

>The semisquare (45) is a portion of developmental tension found within
>the square, it reflects action and interfunctional incorporation of the
>square because it is the midpoint of the square. based on the cube.
>
>The septile (51'25") reflects the mystical and metaphysical direction,
>unconscious and higher octive creation for spiritual fulfillment of
>specific goals. The razors edge. It is based on the interlaced
>tetrahedra.
>
>Sextile (60 degrees) is the supportive element reflecting the
>opportunity
>for dissemination of developmental energy contained within the square or
>opposition. The practical application of knowledge. It is based on the
>Octahedron. It is the two sided pyramid and reflects the growth pattern
>and is the cause OF the reflected DNA pattern.

The Double Helix. Yes.

Fascinating, and worthy of study. I shall consider all of this.

This is the best post, and most useful message posted in these newsgroups since
I got here.

Thank you at last Mr Wollmann, for being so patient with me, and helpful,
amongst all of these "spinics" who try to denigrate you.

jfred

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
HelenLSmit <helen...@aol.com> wrote:

> In article <36BA80...@yahooo.com>, "Edmond H. Wollmann"
> <arctu...@yahooo.com> writes:
>
> >Aspects reflect vibrational interrelationship between planets and points
> >within the horoscope. Since harmonics is the division of the circle (the
> >whole) it is obviously logical that this is so. They reflect the
> >geometric configuration within the circle and define the INTEGRATION OR
> >DISINTEGRATION of the whole. the circle is the symbol of the soul or
> >entire entity. The division of it is symbolic of its descent into
> >matter, because negative or separative energy is the PROPELLANT of
> >spirit and manifests as materiality.
>
> Thank you for explaing this. Strange that many of the souveniers I have
> collectred over time are circles, and that I am fascinated by the circle.

Are you also fascinated by circular logic? Perhaps that is why to are so
attracted to Eddikins.

> >The conjunction which has an angular value of 0 reflects the beginning,
> >of symbolic relationship within the whole and a release of new
> >potentials or patterns, it is the seed. it is based on the divisional
> >line of the circle. focus and blending of the 2.
> >
> >The semisextile (30 degrees) reflects the growth of the seed and its
> >consolidation within materiality. All aspects including this one from
> >here are WAXING in emergence (to the opposition). Based on the
> >icosahedron.
> >
> >The Novile (40 degrees) reflects completion or perfection-the
> >concretization or establishment of anything in physicality. Fruition.
> >All things physical work in cycles of 4 and 40 in materiality. The 4
> >dimensions template.
>
> Could you explain this further? The 4 dimensions template. Am I being
> foolish, or are you referring to the 4 dimesnions, length, breadth,
> width, and space-time?

You are being foolish.

> >The semisquare (45) is a portion of developmental tension found within
> >the square, it reflects action and interfunctional incorporation of the
> >square because it is the midpoint of the square. based on the cube.
> >
> >The septile (51'25") reflects the mystical and metaphysical direction,
> >unconscious and higher octive creation for spiritual fulfillment of
> >specific goals. The razors edge. It is based on the interlaced
> >tetrahedra.
> >
> >Sextile (60 degrees) is the supportive element reflecting the
> >opportunity
> >for dissemination of developmental energy contained within the square or
> >opposition. The practical application of knowledge. It is based on the
> >Octahedron. It is the two sided pyramid and reflects the growth pattern
> >and is the cause OF the reflected DNA pattern.
>
> The Double Helix. Yes.

Helen, if you ever start to understand Edmo's posts, you should have
yourself checked out by a qualified professional.

<snip rest of Eddie's screed and Helen's sucking up>

--
Cahooter #14
Everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey.

Kevin K. Ehmka

Feb 6, 1999, 3:00:00 AM2/6/99
HelenLSmit wrote in message
<19990205183951...@ngol06.aol.com>...

>In article <36BA80...@yahooo.com>, "Edmond H. Wollmann"
><arctu...@yahooo.com> writes:
>
>>Aspects reflect vibrational interrelationship between planets and points
>>within the horoscope. Since harmonics is the division of the circle (the
>>whole) it is obviously logical that this is so. They reflect the
>>geometric configuration within the circle and define the INTEGRATION OR
>>DISINTEGRATION of the whole. the circle is the symbol of the soul or
>>entire entity. The division of it is symbolic of its descent into
>>matter, because negative or separative energy is the PROPELLANT of
>>spirit and manifests as materiality.
>

>Fascinating, and worthy of study. I shall consider all of this.
>
>This is the best post, and most useful message posted in these newsgroups
since
>I got here.
>
>Thank you at last Mr Wollmann, for being so patient with me, and helpful,
>amongst all of these "spinics" who try to denigrate you.
>
>Helen

Good books for looking at aspects from this perspective:

Astrological Aspects
by Leyla Rael and Dane Rudhyar

A Handbook for the Humanistic Astrologer
by Michael R. Meyer

One question I ask myself is how to integrate this viewpoint into my daily
life. Ask yourself the same question and see what you come up with.