Stephen King's new 1000-page novel, 22/22/63

Peter Fokes

Mar 2, 2011, 9:08:49 PM3/2/11
(Excuse the gibberish in other thread)

The main character's mission is to prevent the assassination by using
a time portal.

Due out Nov. 2011

http://www.stephenking.com/promo/11-22-63/announcement/

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

Peter Fokes

Mar 2, 2011, 9:09:58 PM3/2/11
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 21:08:49 -0500, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>
wrote:

Lol. Last try.....

Ace Kefford

Mar 3, 2011, 12:09:33 PM3/3/11

I wonder how much of an assassination buff Stephen King is. He comes
out of the end of the counterculture era and has a wide-ranging mind,
so my guess is he had some interest in the "Who Killed Kennedy"
speculation of the mid-60s to mid-70s.

It would be great if he really knows the topic, but even if he
doesn't I am sure he will give it a good ride.

Ace

bigdog

Mar 3, 2011, 6:10:09 PM3/3/11

This was the plot for an episode of the Twilight Zone in 1986.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734727/

TLA

Mar 3, 2011, 7:10:09 PM3/3/11

It seems fairly clear that Stephen King believes that Oswald was the
lone assassin. He does have some nasty words to say about the Dallas
police relating to their incompetence, but in a couple of his novels
he mentions that JFK killer's had a chicken lunch just before the
shooting and afterwards calmly drank a Coke. That, to me, indicates
King's belief in Oswald's guilt. It will be interesting to see what
tack he takes in the new book.

TLA

jas

Mar 3, 2011, 7:13:25 PM3/3/11
On Mar 3, 4:10 pm, bigdog <jecorbett1...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > It would be great if he really knows the topic, but even if he
> > doesn't  I am sure he will give it a good ride.
>
> > Ace
>
> This was the plot for an episode of the Twilight Zone in 1986.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734727/

Knowing King's work, he'll probably have one hell of a good read.

slats

Mar 3, 2011, 8:12:14 PM3/3/11
bigdog <jecorb...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:47c650be-2f58-4e1b-bb5a-
acc369...@y36g2000pra.googlegroups.com:

> On Mar 3, 12:09?pm, Ace Kefford <bglobe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>> On Mar 2, 9:08?pm, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:
>>
>> > (Excuse the gibberish in other thread)
>>
>> > The main character's mission is to prevent the assassination by
using
>> > a time portal.
>>
>> > Due out Nov. 2011
>>
>> >http://www.stephenking.com/promo/11-22-63/announcement/
>>
>> > Peter Fokes,
>> > Toronto
>>
>> Hi,
>>

>> I wonder how much of an assassination buff Stephen King is. ?He comes

>> out of the end of the counterculture era and has a wide-ranging mind,
>> so my guess is he had some interest in the "Who Killed Kennedy"
>> speculation of the mid-60s to mid-70s.
>>
>> It would be great if he really knows the topic, but even if he

>> doesn't ?I am sure he will give it a good ride.

>> Ace
>
> This was the plot for an episode of the Twilight Zone in 1986.
>
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734727/

King's a big lefty, so this doesn't surprise me. The time travel theme is
hardly new. Someone wrote a similar book in the 1980s about a guy who
travels back in time to stop the assassination in the hopes that it would
save his brother who died in Vietnam--as if Kennedy living would have
meant no war in SE Asia.

Ace Kefford

Mar 4, 2011, 11:30:28 AM3/4/11
> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0734727/- Hide quoted text -

I realize you were writing specifically about a prior JFK
assassination time travel story, but speaking generally this plot
(going back in history to try to change some event) is as old as
Moses's toes. A staple of sci-fi long before that Twilight Zone
episode. My guess is that it goes way, way back.

Ace K.

Ace Kefford

Mar 4, 2011, 11:30:52 AM3/4/11

Good read, good ride. I'm just going to strap myself in and see how I
feel at the end!

Ace

Ace Kefford

Mar 4, 2011, 11:32:40 AM3/4/11
On Mar 3, 8:12 pm, slats <o...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> bigdog <jecorbett1...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:47c650be-2f58-4e1b-bb5a-
> acc3694f1...@y36g2000pra.googlegroups.com:
> meant no war in SE Asia.- Hide quoted text -

If anyone is interested in an interesting book involving time travel
and famous rock music "lost albums" and lost lives, check out
"Glimpses" by Lewis Shiner. I found parts of it great.

Ace K.

jas

Mar 4, 2011, 2:05:10 PM3/4/11

I'm just now delving into Bugliosi's book for my third time around.
Hopefully I'll be done by the time King's novel is available.

I've always entertained the time-travel thing, but my brain can't get past
the grandfather paradox that basically says it's impossible to change
events as they have already happened. It's the big "what-if?"

It's a cool idea for a story though, and maybe it'll take Stephen King's
popularity to bring it to the masses, maybe even a movie later on. I think
it's safe to predict, although a work of fiction, the book will add fuel
to the fires of JFK conspiracy-dom for decades. mainly because the story
is so intriguing in its raw form -- conspiracy or not.

davidemerling

Mar 4, 2011, 2:07:30 PM3/4/11

This sort of reminds me of the famous Quantum Leap episode where Sam goes
back in time and "leaps" into the body of Lee Harvey Oswald. Ostensibly,
he is there to prevent the assassination of President Kennedy.

[SPOILER ALERT!]

But, in the end, we find out that Sam cannot prevent it. He takes the
shots from the 6th floor of the Texas School Book Depository and ends up
killing Kennedy and wounding Governor Connally - exactly as it played out
in history. Afterwards, Sam laments that he had apparently failed in his
mission. As it turns out, there was a parallel reality. Initially, Oswald
had *also* killed Jackie Kennedy in the shooting. Sam's mission was to
spare HER life. So, as it turned out, he DID change history. Jackie
Kennedy's life was spared. Apparently, it was destiny that President
Kennedy be shot. An interesting twist.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Peter Fokes

Mar 4, 2011, 4:37:33 PM3/4/11
On 4 Mar 2011 14:07:30 -0500, davidemerling <davide...@gmail.com>
wrote:

What if someone went back in time to a few weeks after Margaurite
learned she was pregnant (with Lee) and persuaded her to have an
abortion.

Wow ... would that ever disrupt the time warp!

PF

Anthony Marsh

Mar 4, 2011, 6:52:54 PM3/4/11

No, it indicates that he thinks the killer was NOT Oswald since Oswald
did not eat that chicken lunch.

Anthony Marsh

Mar 4, 2011, 6:54:53 PM3/4/11

Well, I hate to be the one to remind you, but there was already a war
going in in SE Asia when JFK died. And as he pointed out many US
soldiers had already died.
Try opening a history book some time.

Anthony Marsh

Mar 4, 2011, 6:59:03 PM3/4/11

I prefer the version where Kennedy is only wounded, but in a coma due to
his Addison's Disease, but Oswald is linked to Castro and in the
confusion about who is in charge it starts WWIII.

In the Red Dwarf scifi version they stop the shooter in the TSBD and
Kennedy winds up in jail and the country goes to hell. So they break
Kennedy out of jail and convince him to go onto the grassy knoll and
shoot himself to repair history.

"President Kennedy was impeached in 1964 for sharing a mistress with
Mafia boss, Sam Giancana. It was the biggest scandal in American
history. Kennedy was sentenced to three years in an open prison in July,
'65. J. Edgar Hoover became president; he was forced to run by the mob,
who had pictures of him at a transvestite orgy...Soon after his
election, the USSR were allowed to install a nuclear base in Cuba in
return for Mafia cocaine trafficking between Cuba and the States. With a
Soviet nuclear base 30 miles from the US mainland, people fled from all
the major cities."

Anthony Marsh

Mar 4, 2011, 7:00:09 PM3/4/11
On 3/4/2011 2:05 PM, jas wrote:
> On Mar 4, 9:30 am, Ace Kefford<bglobe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Knowing King's work, he'll probably have one hell of a good read.
>>
>> Good read, good ride. I'm just going to strap myself in and see how I
>> feel at the end!
>>
>> Ace
>
> I'm just now delving into Bugliosi's book for my third time around.
> Hopefully I'll be done by the time King's novel is available.
>
> I've always entertained the time-travel thing, but my brain can't get past
> the grandfather paradox that basically says it's impossible to change
> events as they have already happened. It's the big "what-if?"

The grandfather paradox is a myth.
A time traveler goes back in time and shoots his father. He is 6 feet
tall and he has bright red hair and a red mustache. His father was 5
feet tall with brown hair. Then the doorbell rings and it's the milk man
(remember they used to have milk men in the old days). And the milk man
is 6 feet tall, has bright red hair, and a red mustache.
And right now the government changes events every day by lying about
what really happened.

Chuck Schuyler

Mar 4, 2011, 8:13:29 PM3/4/11
On Mar 4, 3:37 pm, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com> wrote:
> On 4 Mar 2011 14:07:30 -0500, davidemerling <davidemerl...@gmail.com>

For a really interesting twist on the time travel plotlines that have been
endlessly featured in film and literature, read the short (very short)
story, A Sound of Thunder, by Ray Bradbury. I found it on the internet.
See the link:

http://www.lasalle.edu/~didio/courses/hon462/hon462_assets/sound_of_thunder.htm

John Blubaugh

Mar 4, 2011, 8:20:00 PM3/4/11

It is good that you keep up with all fiction......

JB

slats

Mar 4, 2011, 8:21:50 PM3/4/11
Anthony Marsh <anthon...@comcast.net> wrote in

Says the man who analogizes political opponents to "Nazis." So much for
Obama's new era of "civility."

In any event, thanks for reminding us that Kennedy living would not have
saved 58,000 US lives in Vietnam. After all, the war was alive and well
before Dallas.

"No! He would have been wise enough to recognize the futility of war in SE
Asia and prevent its further escalation!!!"

Um, how do you know this?

"I just do!!!"

Shaddup.

davidemerling

Mar 5, 2011, 3:03:41 PM3/5/11

Is that what actually happened in that Quantum Leap episode? Kennedy
ended up in a como during the "first" shooting? It's been years since
I've seen it. I got the Jackie part right, though - didn't I?

Anyway - although I was never a big fan of Quantum Leap, that episode
was kind of neat.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Anthony Marsh

Mar 5, 2011, 9:30:03 PM3/5/11

No, I was not describing the Quantum Leap episode.

Anthony Marsh

Mar 5, 2011, 11:08:50 PM3/5/11

Excuse me. I did not mean to analogize. I merely stated as a fact the
few people as Nazis. I did not say all political opponents. Some are
just rightwing nuts and kooks.

> In any event, thanks for reminding us that Kennedy living would not have
> saved 58,000 US lives in Vietnam. After all, the war was alive and well
> before Dallas.

Excuse me? 58,000 troops had not been killed at the time that JFK was
killed. The point is that many fewer troops would have been killed if we
started pulling out according to Kennedy's plan. If only 5,000 are left
by 1964 then how could 58,000 be killed? Simple math.

> "No! He would have been wise enough to recognize the futility of war in SE
> Asia and prevent its further escalation!!!"
>
> Um, how do you know this?

Because he warned about it in his speech to the Senate in 1954.
Why is it that you guys never read history?

> "I just do!!!"
>
> Shaddup.

Anthony Marsh

Mar 5, 2011, 11:24:13 PM3/5/11

Jeez, you're not thinking very conspiratorially? The Second Oswald
theory would take care of that. And maybe the real Oswald was adopted or
stolen.
Jeez, get with the program. Drink the Koolaid.

> PF

Peter Fokes

Mar 5, 2011, 11:51:15 PM3/5/11
On 5 Mar 2011 23:24:13 -0500, Anthony Marsh
<anthon...@comcast.net> wrote:

Without the first Oswald, why would another Oswald be called the
"Second?"

>"And maybe the real Oswald was adopted or
>stolen."

Oh, so Marguerita was delusional and just thought she had a baby and
named it Oswald?

>Jeez, get with the program. Drink the Koolaid.

I think you drank it all before I had a sip.

PF

Anthony Marsh

Mar 6, 2011, 10:38:43 AM3/6/11

Jeez, you're not trying hard enough. I don't care what you call the guy.
Call him the Second Patsy. Call him The Understudy.

>> "And maybe the real Oswald was adopted or
>> stolen."
>
> Oh, so Marguerita was delusional and just thought she had a baby and
> named it Oswald?

She had to name it Oswald. That was her name by marriage.
Again I am saying that if you try hard enough you can develop a theory
to handle any such problems.

Peter Fokes

Apr 20, 2011, 1:51:28 PM4/20/11

Cover revealed:

http://112263book.com/

Peter Fokes,
Toronto

Peter Fokes

Apr 24, 2011, 5:09:09 PM4/24/11
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:51:28 -0400, Peter Fokes <pfo...@rogers.com>
wrote:

Interesting couple of paragraphs from this article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/mar/08/stephen-king-jfk-novel

<quote on>

In writing 11/22/63, King joins a considerable roster of novelists who
have tackled the subject of Kennedy's life and death. Don DeLillo
explored the assassination in his novel Libra, while James Ellroy made
it the stuff of noir fiction in his book American Tabloid, the first
volume of his Underworld USA trilogy, whose subsequent volumes track
the fallout from the killing. Stephen Baxter presented an alternate
version in which JFK survived the attack, in the 1996 novel Voyage. JG
Ballard wrote a short story in the 1960s called The Assassination of
John Fitzgerald Kennedy Considered as a Downhill Motor Race, and
Kennedy's promiscuous love life was also the subject of Jed Mercurio's
2009 novel American Adulterer.

Alternate versions of American history are also popular, from Philip
Roth's novel The Plot Against America to the newly released Then
Everything Changed: Stunning Alternate Histories of American Politics
by Jeff Greenfield.

<quote off>

Peter Fokes,
Toronto