JFK was wearing a back-brace when he was shot?! I had no idea!

Humphrey Maltravers

Apr 22, 2012, 5:51:54 PM4/22/12
I just discovered JFK was wearing a back-brace when he was shot. I
never knew this. Did he always wear a back-brace?

While my "new discovery" is undoubtedly "old news" to seasoned JFK
assassination researchers, please understand I'm not a learned-student
of his assassination. My interest in JFK and his assassination stems
primarily from having met JFK when I was seven years old with my late
father at a "meet and greet" in 1963.

bigdog

Apr 22, 2012, 9:59:31 PM4/22/12
On Apr 22, 5:51 pm, Humphrey Maltravers <hmaltrav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just discovered JFK was wearing a back-brace when he was shot. I
> never knew this. Did he always wear a back-brace?

During his waking hours, yes. He was in constant pain and took pain
killer shots regularly.

> While my "new discovery" is undoubtedly "old news" to seasoned JFK
> assassination researchers, please understand I'm not a learned-student
> of his assassination. My interest in JFK and his assassination stems
> primarily from having met JFK when I was seven years old with my late
> father at a "meet and greet" in 1963.

Everybody is a newbie at sometime. The idea is to keep reading and
learn to seperate the nuggets from the crap.

Jason Burke

Apr 22, 2012, 11:04:43 PM4/22/12
Unfortunately, the crap keeps coming and coming endlessly.

bar...@comcast.net

Apr 23, 2012, 3:38:23 AM4/23/12
On 22 Apr 2012 17:51:54 -0400, Humphrey Maltravers
You can see a photo of the brace he wore here:

http://www.jfklancer.com/photos/medical/brace.jpg

Bests,
Barb :-)
Message has been deleted

Anthony Marsh

Apr 23, 2012, 6:05:54 PM4/23/12
Yes, most researchers knew that he was wearing a back brace. Most did not
know what it looked like. He did not wear it all the time and rarely on
top of his clothing. Ever rarer that any national press photographer was
allowed to take a photo showing JFK wearing his back brace.

http://www.the-puzzle-palace.com/1AsmithF3.jpg

Did you know that FDR wore leg braces? Do you think you'd be able to find
any photos showing him wearing them out in public? The last photographer
who tried to take that photo of the leg braces had his camera knock out of
his hands.

The back brace is a factor for a couple of reasons. It kept JFK upright so
that he could not duck out of the way. It may have caused his shirt to
bunch up. Most people did not know there were metal stays in it. What I'd
like to see the kooks do is develop a theory that the bullet hit the metal
stays and was stopped. I also wonder why there is absolutely no blood on
his back brace.

Anthony Marsh

Apr 23, 2012, 6:39:26 PM4/23/12
On 4/22/2012 5:51 PM, Humphrey Maltravers wrote:
> I just discovered JFK was wearing a back-brace when he was shot. I
> never knew this. Did he always wear a back-brace?

No, he did not always wear a back brace. Sometimes he felt so good that
he did not need it.

> While my "new discovery" is undoubtedly "old news" to seasoned JFK
> assassination researchers, please understand I'm not a learned-student
> of his assassination. My interest in JFK and his assassination stems
> primarily from having met JFK when I was seven years old with my late
> father at a "meet and greet" in 1963.

Couldn't you sense then that he was wearing a back brace?

curtjester1

Apr 23, 2012, 6:40:58 PM4/23/12
It's actually an interesting question, which would lead to some
forensic wonderments, like bullet entries, blood smear. etc. Has this
been looked into before?

CJ

Squinty Magoo

Apr 23, 2012, 9:16:41 PM4/23/12
On Apr 23, 2:38 am, barb...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2012 17:51:54 -0400, Humphrey Maltravers

Okay, I assume the thing on the right is the brace, but what is all that
fabric on the left that looks like a folded sheet? Certainly he didn't
wear that as well.

Squinty Magoo

bar...@comcast.net

Apr 23, 2012, 10:05:17 PM4/23/12
On 23 Apr 2012 21:16:41 -0400, Squinty Magoo <magoos...@msn.com>
wrote:
Hey Squinty,

The thing on the right is the back "brace" ... more of a fabric lumbar
support with stays.

The material on the left is an ace bandage he was wearing figure 8
fashion around/between his thighs. Some sort of groin thing, I think
.... don't recall if that was typical or just for a current/occasional
problem. I'm sure the ace bandage wound around his waist to be
anchored before it did the figure 8 loop de loop around his
thighs/groin.

Bests,
Barb :-)

Humphrey Maltravers

Apr 24, 2012, 6:35:01 PM4/24/12
On Apr 23, 2:38 am, barb...@comcast.net wrote:
> On 22 Apr 2012 17:51:54 -0400, Humphrey Maltravers

Good lord! The back-brace looks like an insufferable contraption. Of
course, I have to keep in mind state of medical treatment, circa 1963.

Anthony Marsh

Apr 24, 2012, 6:35:12 PM4/24/12
No, one ever examines the back brace. And why are there absolutely no
blood stains on it? Why are there is there no blood on Connally's coat
and where is his shirt?

Byron Gordon

Nov 19, 2013, 11:43:23 PM11/19/13
Yes, and it was the back-brace which prevented JFK from falling forward
when he was first hit. Instead, he leaned over to Jackie's side while
still having his head exposed to the final fatal shot.

If he hadn't been wearing the back-brace, he would have fallen forward
towards Connelly and most likely the fatal shot would have missed his
head. JFK would still be alive.

gordon...@gmail.com

Nov 19, 2013, 11:44:08 PM11/19/13
On Sunday, April 22, 2012 2:51:54 PM UTC-7, Humphrey Maltravers wrote:
Not only was Kennedy wearing a back-brace when he was shot but the
back-brace prevented him from falling forward after he was hit by the
first bullet. If he had not been wearing his back-brace, he probably would
have not been hit by the fatal bullet which took his life. Unfortunately,
in this case, the back-brace kept Kennedy from falling forward and instead
he slightly leaned over to Jackie's side still leaving his head visible
for the fatal shot.

Anthony Marsh

Nov 20, 2013, 10:55:01 AM11/20/13
JFK had no room to fall forward because Connally's jump seat was only 8
inches in front of him.

OHLeeRedux

Nov 20, 2013, 5:28:19 PM11/20/13
JFK was the President of the United States?

Lee Oswald assassinated him?

I had no idea!

Wake me up when we get to the twenty-second century.

Anthony Marsh

Nov 20, 2013, 5:28:32 PM11/20/13
On 11/19/2013 11:43 PM, Byron Gordon wrote:
> Yes, and it was the back-brace which prevented JFK from falling forward
> when he was first hit. Instead, he leaned over to Jackie's side while
> still having his head exposed to the final fatal shot.

No, at frame 313 he was leaning forward, not to Jackie's side.

> If he hadn't been wearing the back-brace, he would have fallen forward
> towards Connelly and most likely the fatal shot would have missed his
> head. JFK would still be alive.

Not likely. Not enough leg room to duck down.

jennis...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2013, 12:47:51 PM11/22/13
Now that I know he was wearing the brace, I would love to know how it does
not have blood on it, myself. One would think with doctors tearing his
clothing off to save his life that blood would be on their hands, the
blood from his wounds would have gotten on it, the blood on Jackie from
the shots and she held him on her lap surely would have gotten on it.
Very strange.

stevemg...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2013, 5:28:33 PM11/22/13
Read the account that Doctor Carrico gave on the brace. He removed it.

It wasn't around his back as much as around his lower stomach or midriff.
It was the lower back region. And if you see a photo of his shirt the
blood was on the top 1/3 of.

Carrico's WC testimony:

Mr. SPECTER: Would you describe as precisely as you can that back brace?
Dr. CARRICO - As I recall, this was a white cotton or some sort of fiber
standard brace with stays and corset, in a corset-type arrangement and
buckles.
Mr. SPECTER - How far up on his body did it come?
Dr. CARRICO - Just below his umbilicus, as I recall.
Mr. SPECTER - How far down on his body did it go?
Dr. CARRICO - I did not examine below his belt at that time.
Mr. SPECTER - Did you at any time examine below his belt?

So the brace only went as high as right below his belly button. That's
quite low.

Anthony Marsh

Nov 22, 2013, 11:04:59 PM11/22/13
We have to assume that you have never seen the photos of JFK's shirt:

http://the-puzzle-palace.com/Photo_naraevid_CE394-2.jpg

http://the-puzzle-palace.com/Photo_naraevid_CE394-3.jpg

Because you are a WC defender.