Gerald Patrick Hemming, Jr. Dead at 71

Gerry Simone (H)

Feb 6, 2008, 10:27:04 AM2/6/08
Notice from JFK Lancer. This story makes my head spin. What do others
think?

<<Start Here>>

Gerald Patrick Hemming, Jr., a swashbuckling six-foot five ex-Marine turned
soldier-of-fortune, who personally knew many of the prominent personages of
the tumultuous sixties, and whose name appears with regularity in the books
and articles on the Kennedy assassination, died Monday at his home in
Fayetteville, North Carolina after a lengthy illness. Born in Los Angeles on
March 1, 1937, Hemming was 71.

After he left the Marine Corp in the fall of 1958, Hemming travelled to Cuba
and assist the newly formed Castro government in military training. In Cuba,
Hemming worked as an instructor in a Cuban parachute regiment and was later
named adjutant of the San Julien air base. Hemming claims while at San
Julien he thwarted an assassination attempt by a disgruntled Cuban soldier
who intended to shoot against Fidel Castro while he toured the air base with
Soviet envoy Anderi Mikoyan.

In Cuba, Hemming met and worked with another American named William Morgan
who in April 1961 was brutally executed by Castro forces for being a
traitor. Hemming stated that he met Jack Ruby at Morgan's residence.
Morgan's US citizenship was restored in 2007. In Cuba he also met Frank
Fiorini, also known as Frank Sturgis who gained notoriety in 1974 as one of
the Watergate burglars.

Hemming met and liked Che Guevera who he described as a man of his word.
Hemming claimed he had a secret meeting with Guevera during the height of
the Cuban missile crisis.

Hemming fled Cuba in the fall of 1960 and was extensively debriefed by the
CIA regarding Castro's military operations. He then started a paramilitary
organization named Intercontinental Penetration Force or Interpen, which
trained first in the Everglades and later on No Name Key, a small,
mosquito-infested island thirty miles north of Key West. The group was
sometimes known as "Patrick's raiders".

Hemming's group was heavily funded by right-wing Caribbean dictators but
some believe there was secret funding from the CIA. Hemming claimed to be
reporting to James Jesus Angleton, the controversial chief of the CIA's
Counterintelligence arm. Hemming also had familial ties to the intelligence
community: his uncle had been a business partner with John McCone, JFK's
Director of the CIA.

In December 1962, Hemming and a dozen of his Interpen group were arrested in
the Florida Keys shortly before leaving on a secret mission to Cuba. Jailed
overnight in Key West, the group was bailed out by a Miami attorney who flew
them to Miami on a chartered seaplane. Hemming stated that when they arrived
in Miami, Oswald attempted to infiltrate their group but Hemming instructed
his men to remove Oswald. Several months later when Hemming and his lawyer
participated in a Miami radio talk show, a man identifying himself as Lee
Oswald called the show. A week after the assassination, the talk show host
reported the incident to the FBI. In 1978, Hemming testified to the House
Select Committee on Assassinations that he had met Lee Harvey Oswald outside
the Cuban Consulate in January 1959, was suspicious of Oswald's motives and
the information he was seeking. Subsequently, Hemming advised his Cuban
friends to get rid of Oswald.

On bail restriction arising from the arrest in the Florida Keys, Hemming
was unable to return to Los Angeles for a Christmas reunion with his family.
A short time thereafter, his father, who owned a television repair shop,
died. Hemming always regretted missing that last Christmas with his father.
He told one writer that for months after his father died he would call his
father's business after hours just to listen to his father's voice on the
recorded announcement of the business hours.

In March of 1963, Hemming traveled to Dallas, Texas seeking financial
support for his Interpen group. One of the person contacted included former
Gen. Edwin Walker, who was shot at by Lee Oswald a few weeks later.

Hemming testified to the HSCA that in the summer of 1963 he was personally
offered money to arrange the murder of JFK; specifying one such offer was
made in the home of New Orleans private investigator Guy Banister and
another in the Dallas Petroleum Club.

In the late 1980s Hemming and two of his Interpen associates served as
consultants to Oliver Stone's movie "JFK". He can be seen briefly in the
film as the man co-coordinating the assassination. Although some speculate
that members of Interpen may have been involved in the assassination,
Hemming always denied that charge, but has suggested that several years
later he learned the details of the assassination from persons who were
involved. Among his controversial claims was that Kennedy assassination was
funded in part by members of the family of Rafeal Trujillo, the Dominican
Republic dictator assassinated in April 1961, and that there was a separate
shooter in the Texas School Book Depository with a contract to kill Governor
John Connally. He also claimed that the conspirators had planted a bomb in a
car parked near the triple underpass that could have been used to blow up
the entire presidential limousine had the shooters been unable to deliver a
fatal head shot.

Hemming may have given us the answer to some of the mysteries of the
assassination. For instance, he has identified the Mexico City mystery man
as German born Mario Tauler Sague, recruited for the CIA by Bill Harvey
while Harvey was the Berlin station chief. Sague was involved in one of the
earliest attempts on Castro's life.

At the conference in Dallas, Hemming claimed to know Sylvia Odio's visitors
were. He stated that one of them had once saved his life. In 2005, he
finally revealed the names. The man who saved his life was Angelo Murgado,
the "Angel" in the Odio story, and "Leopoldo" was Bernardo DeTorres, a name
familiar to most students of the assassination. The names were first
publicly identified in an article written by Mark Howell and Tim Gratz for
the Key West Citizen. Murgado was interviewed in person by Prof Joan Mellen
(in the presence of Hemming) and she tells the story in her book "A Farewell
to Justice". Murgado was also interviewed by David Talbot for his book
"Brothers". In "Brothers", Talbot states that Murgado told him that he,
Murgado, had shown Robert F Kennedy the newspaper article and photo of Lee
Oswald passing out literature in New Orleans, leading to the disturbing
conclusion that when RFK learned of the arrest of Oswald for the murder of
his brother, he recognized Oswald's name and photo.

Howard K. Davis, who served as an Army ranger in the Korean War and worked
with the Castro forces in 1958 before the abdication of Batista, was the
second in command of the Interpen group and worked closely with Hemming for
many years. Davis, who now works for Homeland Security at the Miami airport,
said of Hemming, "Hemming was at heart an idealist who longed for freedom
for the Cuban people and like so many was disappointed that Castro betrayed
the stated goals of his revolution. Gerry loved the Cuban people, spoke
Spanish fluently and he is remembered with great fondness in the Cuban exile
community. He named one of his sons after a Cuban exile who paid the
ultimate sacrifice in the fight against Castro."

Hemming has been interviewed by various JFK researchers, and was a featured
speaker at the JFK Lancer November in Dallas Conference in 1996. Hemming's
HSCA testimony given on June 17, 1993, was donated by Noel Twyman to JFK
Lancer for distribution. There are many who believe that most of Hemming's
stories were nothing but the creation of a clever mind while others are
equally confident that he carried some secrets of the assassination to his
grave. Perhaps the epitaph that should appear on his grave is the
description once given him by an assassination writer: "Valedictorian in a
Guerilla Suit."

claviger

Feb 7, 2008, 1:28:36 AM2/7/08
On Feb 6, 9:27 am, "Gerry Simone \(H\)" <newdecent...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Notice from JFK Lancer.  This story makes my head spin. What do others
> think?
>
> <<Start Here>>
>
> Gerald Patrick Hemming, Jr., a swashbuckling six-foot five ex-Marine turned
> soldier-of-fortune, who personally knew many of the prominent personages of
> the tumultuous sixties, and whose name appears with regularity in the books
> and articles on the Kennedy assassination, died Monday at his home in
> Fayetteville, North Carolina after a lengthy illness. Born in Los Angeles on
> March 1, 1937, Hemming was 71.
>
> After he left the Marine Corp in the fall of 1958, Hemming travelled to Cuba
> and assist the newly formed Castro government in military training. In Cuba,
> Hemming worked as an instructor in a Cuban parachute regiment and was later
> named adjutant of the San Julien air base. Hemming claims while at San
> Julien he thwarted an assassination attempt by a disgruntled Cuban soldier
> who intended to shoot against Fidel Castro while he toured the air base with
> Soviet envoy Anderi Mikoyan.
Any details about this incident?

> In Cuba, Hemming met and worked with another American named William Morgan
> who in April 1961 was brutally executed by Castro forces for being a
> traitor. Hemming stated that he met Jack Ruby at Morgan's residence.

On what date did this meeting take place?

> Hemming met and liked Che Guevera who he described as a man of his word.
> Hemming claimed he had a secret meeting with Guevera during the height of
> the Cuban missile crisis.

What was the purpose of this secret meeting?

> In December 1962, Hemming and a dozen of his Interpen group were arrested in
> the Florida Keys shortly before leaving on a secret mission to Cuba. Jailed

Arrested by whom and for what reason?

> overnight in Key West, the group was bailed out by a Miami attorney who flew
> them to Miami on a chartered seaplane.

Who was the attorney?

> Hemming stated that when they arrived
> in Miami, Oswald attempted to infiltrate their group but Hemming instructed
> his men to remove Oswald.

Are there more details about this story?

> Several months later when Hemming and his lawyer
> participated in a Miami radio talk show, a man identifying himself as Lee
> Oswald called the show.

Is this documented by transcript or tape recording? Was Oswald's phone
call local or long distance?

>A week after the assassination, the talk show host
> reported the incident to the FBI. In 1978, Hemming testified to the House
> Select Committee on Assassinations that he had met Lee Harvey Oswald outside
> the Cuban Consulate in January 1959,

Which Cuban Consulate? Are there more details about this meeting?

> was suspicious of Oswald's motives and
> the information he was seeking.

Such as?

> Subsequently, Hemming advised his Cuban
> friends to get rid of Oswald.

What does "get rid of" mean?

> Hemming testified to the HSCA that in the summer of 1963 he was personally
> offered money to arrange the murder of JFK; specifying one such offer was
> made in the home of New Orleans private investigator Guy Banister and
> another in the Dallas Petroleum Club.

Did Banister make this offer or someone else? Who made the offer at
the Dallas Petroleum Club?

> In the late 1980s Hemming and two of his Interpen associates served as
> consultants to Oliver Stone's movie "JFK". He can be seen briefly in the
> film as the man co-coordinating the assassination. Although some speculate
> that members of Interpen may have been involved in the assassination,
> Hemming always denied that charge, but has suggested that several years
> later he learned the details of the assassination from persons who were
> involved.

What are the names of these persons?

> Among his controversial claims was that Kennedy assassination was
> funded in part by members of the family of Rafeal Trujillo, the Dominican
> Republic dictator assassinated in April 1961,

Why did the Trujillo family have a grudge against Kennedy? Did JFK and
RFK have something to do with this assassination?

> and that there was a separate
> shooter in the Texas School Book Depository with a contract to kill Governor
> John Connally.

Who was the shooter? Where in the building was the shooter located?
Who wanted Governor Connally dead?

> He also claimed that the conspirators had planted a bomb in a
> car parked near the triple underpass that could have been used to blow up
> the entire presidential limousine had the shooters been unable to deliver a
> fatal head shot.

Where was the car parked and who controlled the bomb? What kind of
bomb was it?

So Davis could confirm a lot of this information. Is he still alive?

> Hemming has been interviewed by various JFK researchers, and was a featured
> speaker at the JFK Lancer November in Dallas Conference in 1996. Hemming's
> HSCA testimony given on June 17, 1993, was donated by Noel Twyman to JFK
> Lancer for distribution. There are many who believe that most of Hemming's
> stories were nothing but the creation of a clever mind while others are
> equally confident that he carried some secrets of the assassination to his
> grave. Perhaps the epitaph that should appear on his grave is the
> description once given him by an assassination writer: "Valedictorian in a
> Guerilla Suit."

If Hemming had this much inside information did the HSCA ask for more
details, like a list of names of all the persons involved in the
conspiracy, the people at Banister's house and the Dallas Petroleum Club,
and anyone else he could name who had knowledge of the plot to murder the
President? The HSCA had the power to subpoena Hemming and hold him as a
material witness. If Hemming had this many people approach him to murder
the President why did he remain silent? Why did he not contact the FBI or
Secret Service and report these numerous threats? Did he not like
President Kennedy?

JLeyd...@aol.com

Feb 7, 2008, 1:35:27 AM2/7/08
On Feb 6, 10:27�am, "Gerry Simone \(H\)" <newdecent...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

> Notice from JFK Lancer. This story makes my head spin. What do others
> think?

Reads like a prospectus for a screen play that didn't sell. Here's just
one contradiction: Hemmings said he stopped Oswald from infiltrating his
anti-Castro groups in Miami in Dec. 1962 when Oswald was in Dallas at the
time working for Jaggars-Chiles-Stovall (longest civilian job he ever
had). There's more, of course, but who's counting.

JGL

tomnln

Feb 7, 2008, 8:26:16 AM2/7/08
THAT was during the Cuban Missle CDrises.

<JLeyd...@aol.com> wrote in message

JLeyd...@aol.com

Feb 7, 2008, 11:20:57 PM2/7/08
On Feb 7, 8:26 am, "tomnln" <tom...@cox.net> wrote:
> THAT was during the Cuban Missle CDrises.

Well, much as I dislike getting involved with Tomnln, I feel a need to
point out that the Cuban Missile Crisis was over by Dec. 1962 sltho it
doesn't make any difference because Oswald was in Dallas not Miami.

JGL

> <JLeyden...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > Guerilla Suit."- Hide quoted text -

claviger

Feb 7, 2008, 11:35:10 PM2/7/08
Gerry,

Here is some interesting information from the Hemming deposition:
HEMMING DEPO - P. 3

In May or June of 1962, at Luis Rabel's house Hemming met Rabel, Frank
Bartes, Larry Laborde, Guy Banister, Demohrenschilt, and there was an
attache case filled in $100 bills. The purpose was to pay for
assassinating Fidel Castro. Hemming declined because he thought Raul
Castro would be even worse (pp 136-141)

I've never seen anyone mention a connection between Hemming and George
Demohrenshilt (sic). This is the only time Hemming ever mentions his
name. He does not indicate any knowledge there was a later connection
between George de Mohrenschildt and Lee Harvey Oswald.

dshar...@yahoo.com

Feb 9, 2008, 2:23:36 PM2/9/08
Hemming's posts on the Simkin site were certainly curios!...and when
they stopped I thought he must be sick, or disgusted...probably both!
Simkins a commi after all...

As for Hemming...rip...the haunted tale has another shade...

claviger

Feb 15, 2008, 8:44:08 AM2/15/08

Hemmings' testimony and later commentary is interesting for several
reasons:

He confirms Castro's Cuba was acting as a warehouse and distribution
center for revolution in the Western Hemisphere, and he is convinced
several Cuban agents infiltrated anti-Castro groups in Florida.

Hemming insinuates a Cuban infiltrator posing as an anti-Castro
volunteer could have made contact with Oswald shortly before the
assassination.

"PATRICK said that the people who went to see Mrs. Odio were Hall,
Howard and Seymour, however, he added they were accompanied by a
fourth man, Enrique Molina Rivera, whom he identified as a Castro
agent, thereby suggesting that the plot to assassinate Kennedy might
have had Castro origins."

Sylvia Odio doesn't mention a fourth man so it's possible Rivera made
the trip to see Oswald. Hemming later implicates Sylvia Odio as a
double agent for Castro, not because she admired Castro, only because
her father was a prisoner held in Cuba. Hemming thinks she was trading
information for the eventual release of her father. He also claims
Kiki Ferrer was a Castro agent who lived in the same apartment complex
with Odio. So it's possible Odio doesn't mention Rivera either because
she was told not to or she never saw him because he went to see Ferrer
instead. It could be Rivera went to Ferrer's apartment, then both had
a meeting with LHO.

A European movie producer famous for making documentaries released a
film in 2006 titled "Rendezvous with Death". It was the culmination of
three years of research dealing with the question: Was the Cuban
government involved with Lee Harvey Oswald? According to this
documentary the answer is yes. The film claims Cuban agents in Mexico
City paid LHO $6,500 to kill President Kennedy.

German filmmaker Wilfried Huismann spent years digging into the
assassination of US President John F. Kennedy. His documentary
"Rendezvous With Death -- Why Kennedy Had to Die," about Cuban leader
Fidel Castro's role in the murder is set to premiere Friday, January
6, 2006 on German public TV.

In an interview with Germany's international braodcaster Deutch Welle,
Huismann says he spent three years researching for his documentary in
Mexico, the United States and Cuba.

He found strong ties between Lee Harvey Oswald, the man who murdered
Kennedy, and Fidel Castro. Several witnesses are shown in the film,
including Cuban former secret agents, U.S officials, and a Russian
intelligence source. Huismann also did some research in Mexican
security archives.

"Oswald had been an agent for the Cuban intelligence services since
November 1962. He was a political fanatic and allowed himself to be
used by the Cuban intelligence services to kill John F. Kennedy,"
Huismann added.

Contacto Magazine

Hemmimg suggests that LHO was aware of a plot to kill the President
but went solo.

There was a second sniper who spoke German with a Mauser in position
on west side of TSBD. He escaped by sliding down cables of disabled
elevator. Hemming says there was a spotter in Dal-Tex building working
with this sniper. He doen't explain how the spotter communicated with
the sniper on the west side of the TSBD building.

mjmj...@gmail.com

Nov 22, 2018, 8:28:14 PM11/22/18
Those times, the red scare post WWII to now, created politician of the
extreme and covert nature that conspired to use people like Hemming and
his crew to go forth and kill, murder left leaning people usually of
foreign counties. There are some that have been discovered like Hemming
but he was only a hammer. The political and covert bodies hired his kind.
They got caught in Watergate scandal but didn't get caught at other feats
of mayhem. I think they outdid themselves in Dallas, 11/22/63. Who were
they? Just a few, Nixon, Dulles, E. Howard Hunt, Maurice Phillips, Cord
Meyer, Frank Fiorini Sturgis, David Sanchez Morales. Like sports, don't
hate the player, hate the game.

claviger

Nov 23, 2018, 9:55:15 AM11/23/18
Or one "silly little Communist."

bigdog

Nov 24, 2018, 11:17:21 AM11/24/18
I'd love to see your evidence that any of the above named people were
involved in JFK's assassination, but of course I know I won't.