TPB: The March of the Dead / Robert W. Service

George Dance

Nov 11, 2012, 10:29:19 AM11/11/12
Today on The Penny Blog
The March of the Dead, by Robert W. Service

The cruel war was over -- oh, the triumph was so sweet!
We watched the troops returning, through our tears;
There was triumph, triumph, triumph down the scarlet glittering
street,
And you scarce could hear the music for the cheers.
[...]

http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2012/11/march-of-dead.html

Will Dockery

Nov 11, 2012, 1:14:00 PM11/11/12

"George Dance" <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
Ah, Robert Service, yet another Proto-Beat, very influential on Kerouac in
his Big Sur and forest fire watchtower days and writngs thereof.

--
"Over You" / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13207558

George Dance

Dec 1, 2012, 12:27:49 PM12/1/12
On Sunday, November 11, 2012 1:14:08 PM UTC-5, Will Dockery wrote:
> "George Dance" <george...@yahoo.ca> wrote in message

> > Today on The Penny Blog
>
> > The March of the Dead, by Robert W. Service
> >
> > The cruel war was over -- oh, the triumph was so sweet!
> > We watched the troops returning, through our tears;
> > There was triumph, triumph, triumph down the scarlet glittering street,
> > And you scarce could hear the music for the cheers.
>
> > [...]
> >
> > http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2012/11/march-of-dead.html
>

> Ah, Robert Service, yet another Proto-Beat, very influential on Kerouac in
> his Big Sur and forest fire watchtower days and writngs thereof.

It's interesting how many people have read and responded to Service. When I was a lad back in the 70s, Country Joe Macdonald recorded an entire album of Service poems set to his music, called War - War - War. Most of the poems were from RWS's war book, Rhymes of a Red Cross Man, but he also included this one. I went looking for a copy of the song online, but unfortunately couldn't find one.

Will Dockery

Dec 1, 2012, 12:37:57 PM12/1/12
Surprising in this day and age that someone hasn't converted the tracks yet... I'll keep my eyes, and ears, open.

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2013, 4:52:25 PM2/24/13
George, I haven't had time to look for it, but the Robert W. Service poem the poster at Topix.com was looking for was described like this:

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/columbus-ga/TQ99TLMASNS84MCPV/p2#c31

"Jim post Robert Services poem on TROUBLE. The one with the line WITH A CRAVEN SOUL AND FEARFUL. I think that is him. HOW DID YOU TAKE IT. Something like that. I got no computer skills..."

Might even be this one... time is just short enought today I may not even be able to look.

--
Under The Radar / Will Dockery & The Shadowville All-Stars:
http://www.reverbnation.com/willdockery/song/12609809-under-the-radar-for-sam-singer

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 5:28:44 PM2/24/13
4:52 PMWill Dockery
-
George, I haven't had time to look for it, but the Robert W. Service poem the poster at

Why are you posting in yet another thread about that?
You sound like you're on their payroll, or maybe you
just want George to come play in your local sandbox.

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2013, 6:10:55 PM2/24/13
On Sunday, February 24, 2013 5:28:44 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> 4:52 PMWill Dockery
I'm trying to help the poster there find the Robert Service poem:

"Jim post Robert Services poem on TROUBLE. The one with the line WITH A CRAVEN SOUL AND FEARFUL. I think that is him. HOW DID YOU TAKE IT. Something like that. I got no computer skills..."

I take it you have no plans of helping, so why not just ignore it?

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 6:17:11 PM2/24/13
6:10 PMWill Dockery

I take it you have no plans of helping, so why not just ignore it?

No, no plans. I have an interest in this group, and in the people who read and post to this group. I have an interest in increasing the readership of and number of posters to this group, and so I'm interested in why you'd attempt to draw attention away from this group to your parochial group. That's why I didn't ignore it.

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2013, 6:20:51 PM2/24/13
No problem... you obviously either got confused again, or posted without thinking about the post very much, or both.

The idea is to bring people here, and I'll note that me record for that is much higher than yours.

So sit back and learn... "teacher".

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 6:27:23 PM2/24/13
6:20 PMWill Dockery
No problem... you obviously either got confused again, or posted without thinking about the post very much, or both.

The idea is to bring people here, and I'll note that me record for that is much higher than yours.

So sit back and learn... "teacher".

Right. I got confused and posted without thinking again, like that doesn't happen all the time anyway. And of course I don't know anything about people, and don't have years of experience in marketing. You're absolutely right. It's all my fault. Way to go. I'm sure you'll attract a lot of attention to the group with that attitude. Show me how it's done, maestro.

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2013, 7:08:12 PM2/24/13

"Hieronymous House" wrote:

> And of course I don't know anything about people, and don't have years of
> experience in marketing.

So, why not do something besides whining about my efforts?

How many poets or readers have you brought to the newsgroup over the last
decade, by the way?

Be honest.

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 7:50:13 PM2/24/13
7:08 PMWill Dockery
To be honest, whining is a reference to an audible sound.
To be honest, I'm writing here as opposed to speaking.
To be honest, your perception and description reflects
how you understand the sound you hear as you read.
To be honest, I'm not really whining at all.

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2013, 8:06:56 PM2/24/13
"Hieronymous House" wrote:

> I'm not really whining at all.

Yeah, you never do seem very self-aware.

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 8:14:09 PM2/24/13

8:06 PMWill Dockery
"Hieronymous House" wrote:

> I'm not really whining at all.

Yeah, you never do seem very self-aware.

Right, that must be it.
Monkey mindlessness.
Message has been deleted

Will Dockery

Feb 24, 2013, 8:26:08 PM2/24/13
Hieronymous House wrote:

> Monkey mindlessness

The gobbledegook doggerel Shel Silverstein wannabe stuff you try to pass off as poetry?

"We know."

Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 8:40:41 PM2/24/13
8:26 PMqwerty...@gmail.com

A marketing pro like you doesn't need to be reminded why

Of course not, but don't be discouraged.
Your efforts aren't wholly unappreciated.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 8:48:13 PM2/24/13
8:43 PMqwerty...@gmail.com
There may be someone somewhere who appreciates them.
(I have some inside knowledge on this one, there is)

You needn't convince me.
I'm already certain of it.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 9:22:05 PM2/24/13
8:51 PMqwerty...@gmail.com
I agree with this post.

Two points. In space, one asks the other:
Seriously, are you that slow, or is it me?
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 24, 2013, 9:44:39 PM2/24/13
9:26 PMqwerty...@gmail.com
The one replies, "it is you."

Yes, so I here. Move on.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 25, 2013, 4:37:16 AM2/25/13
Feb 24qwerty...@gmail.com

I agree with this post

Of course I appreciate that you agree, to a degree,
but not so much that I can't find points of difference
between your position relative to the previous state-
ment and mine. In essence, we can agree about the
same thing differently, acknowledge those differences
one by one, and thus arrive at a fuller understanding of
each other's position vis a vis two points in space and
their traveling speeds with respect to one another, and
thus avoid collisions of disagreement.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 25, 2013, 5:08:05 AM2/25/13
4:55 AMqwerty...@gmail.com
On Monday, February 25, 2013 4:37:16 AM UTC-5, Hieronymous House wrote:
> Feb 24qwerty...@gmail.com
>

> I agree with this post
>

> Of course I appreciate that you agree, to a degree,
>
> but not so much that I can't find points of difference
>
> between your position relative to the previous state-
>
> ment and mine. In essence, we can agree about the

you can't, I didn't state a position, just agreement. Since its your position, your agreement is implied. I am afraid we have agreed to agree about this before you could get your objection in.

Sorry.

Maybe next time.

Your agreement establishes a concurrent position,
thus your position is known in general terms.
Specificity and clarity requires additional
inquiry, investigation and inspection.
Message has been deleted

Hieronymous House

Feb 25, 2013, 5:38:12 AM2/25/13
qwerty...@gmail.com

Yes, as aligned with yours (Though not yours)
You know it as well as you know your own.
Take your time.

Your lines of text align with my lines of text.
Lines are consecutive points in spaces.
Your lines run parallel to my lines.
I can only take my time.
I can't take yours.

Will Dockery

Feb 25, 2013, 8:11:34 AM2/25/13
George Dance wrote:

> > Today on The Penny Blog
>
> > The March of the Dead, by Robert W. Service
>
> > The cruel war was over -- oh, the triumph was so sweet!
> > We watched the troops returning, through our tears;
> > There was triumph, triumph, triumph down the scarlet glittering
> > street,
>
> > And you scarce could hear the music for the cheers.
>
> > [...]
>
> > http://gdancesbetty.blogspot.ca/2012/11/march-of-dead.html
>
> George, I haven't had time to look for it, but the Robert W. Service poem the poster at Topix.com was looking for was described like this:
>
> http://www.topix.com/forum/city/columbus-ga/TQ99TLMASNS84MCPV/p2#c31
>
> "Jim post Robert Services poem on TROUBLE. The one with the line WITH A CRAVEN SOUL AND FEARFUL. I think that is him. HOW DID YOU TAKE IT. Something like that. I got no computer skills..."

The poem isn't by Robert W. Service, but by Edmund Vance Cooke:

http://www.happypublishing.com/blog/how-did-you-die-poem/

How Did You Die?
Did you tackle that trouble that came your way
With a resolute heart and cheerful?
Or hide your face from the light of day
With a craven soul and fearful?
Oh, a trouble’s a ton, or a trouble’s an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it.
And it isn’t the fact that you’re hurt that counts,
But only how did you take it?

-Edmund Vance Cooke