At the Taco Stand / Will Dockery (2019)

Will Dockery

Sep 2, 2019, 5:46:27 AM9/2/19
At the Taco Stand

I often think of my past and the best tacos
I'd share with Kathy down on Victory Drive
where the taco stand stood 40 years ago.
The Thursday special was a buck for five
back then at Buena Vista taco stand,
near Zodiac and Mickey's, on music row.
At the little table there I'd hold her hand
eating a taco after the rock show.
The red and green sauce there were made from scratch,
hard to decide on which, both mighty fine
though we agreed the green sauce had no match,
sharing our feast, her eyes staring into mine . . .
Nostalgia, alone with chilling wind
and visions of my Lady Katherine.

-Will Dockery

(2019 edit by George J. Dance)

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 2, 2019, 5:53:03 AM9/2/19
"The red and green sauce there were made from scratch," feels awkward.
Sauce is singular. There were two sauces there. Suggestion: Remove there.
'The red and green sauces were made from scratch,'

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 2, 2019, 6:19:46 AM9/2/19
Would you believe I have to work on Labor Day?
Of all the holidays, Labor Day is the most sacred
to local union members, because when we have
to work on Labor Day, then they have to pay us
$uper $ecret Double Holiday Golden Overtime!
And when it's a televised, commercial event, like
today's WCW event, we get paid even more! LOL

George J. Dance

Sep 2, 2019, 6:34:00 AM9/2/19
William Carlos Williams is giving a reading? Try to get me an autograph.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 2, 2019, 5:57:16 PM9/2/19
He dead. I'm talkin bout profeshonal rasslin.

ME

Sep 2, 2019, 6:12:05 PM9/2/19
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 5:57:16 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> He dead. I'm talkin bout profeshonal rasslin.

Is Gravedigger still around. Or did he die?

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 2, 2019, 6:32:58 PM9/2/19
I really don't know anything about it. I just set up the show.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 2, 2019, 7:17:49 PM9/2/19
I had blackened shrimp tacos, with purple
cabbage slaw and a sour cream and sriracha
white sauce on yellow corn tortillas with rice
and refried beans for dinner. Coincidence?
I think not.

Don Perryman

Sep 2, 2019, 7:31:05 PM9/2/19
Well that sounds good.....

I've spent my day down by the river enjoying the grand Labor Day weekend show here at the Pavillion….

High Number

Sep 3, 2019, 2:38:10 AM9/3/19
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 4:57:16 PM UTC-5, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> He dead. I'm talkin bout profeshonal rasslin.

My friend Don sanders was a pro wrestler... now he is a drummer in a rock band...

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 3, 2019, 8:30:34 AM9/3/19
So what do you think about my suggestion?

The Real Will Dockery

Sep 3, 2019, 12:21:07 PM9/3/19
I think this is a good idea, let's Ping George Dance for his take on it.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 3, 2019, 12:24:15 PM9/3/19
Sure, whatever. LOL

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 3, 2019, 4:18:40 PM9/3/19
Hey GEORGE! What do you think about my suggestion on this taco poem here? LOL

High Number

Sep 4, 2019, 1:16:08 AM9/4/19
On Monday, September 2, 2019 at 5:57:16 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> He dead. I'm talkin bout profeshonal rasslin.

My friend Don Sanders former pro wrestler.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vu03gm_BQww

Mr. Wrestling 2 vs Don Sanders

Pro Wrestling Inside and Out
Published on May 28, 2019

From Ann Gunkel's All South Wrestling Alliance in 1985. Freddie Miller is the host and Charlie Smith is the referee.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 6:50:26 AM9/4/19
Okay, so I did the wrestling event at the arena on Monday,
and made a pocket full of money for working on the holiday,
but I'm really paying for it physically now. You'd be amazed
how much heavy electric cable gets run to power the lights
and speakers on a televised event like that, and somebody
has to physically pull all that cable out of big heavy boxes,
and then collect and return it to boxes at the end of the show.
That was me, all physical labor; what we call 'neck-down
grunt work', because that's all you're required to do or know.
I did my fair share of grunt work, and then some, on Monday.
I'm proud to say I was able to hold my own in a group of men
about half my age, but I couldn't move at all yesterday, and
today I don't think I'll be doing much more than walk the dogs.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 1:43:28 PM9/4/19
On Tuesday, September 3, 2019 at 4:18:40 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> Hey GEORGE! What do you think about my suggestion on this taco poem here? LOL

I don't think "sauces" is pronounced with the stress on the second syllable, as per your suggestion. If you think it's unclear that there are two different sauces, do you think that substituting "both" for "there" makes that clear? (
That would mean using 'both' two lines in a row, as it's in L10 - but it would also mean not using 'there' two lines in a row, as now - so it's a wash.)

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 1:49:21 PM9/4/19
I don't think sauces is pronounced with the stress on the second syllable either, and didn't suggest it did.
I think sauces is the plural of sauce, so when referencing two sauces, you should use the word sauces.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 1:53:49 PM9/4/19
What a Dunce!

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 1:55:44 PM9/4/19
Alternatives, since it's at the taco stand,
you could call them 'salsas' rather than
sauces, and I don't think anyone would
confuse it with the dance, Dance.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 1:56:00 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:49:21 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> I don't think sauces is pronounced with the stress on the second syllable either, and didn't suggest it did.

You suggested using the line:

'The red and green sauces were made from scratch,'

Maybe you didn't bother to scan it.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 1:56:02 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 1:49:21 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> I don't think sauces is pronounced with the stress on the second syllable either, and didn't suggest it did.
> I think sauces is the plural of sauce, so when referencing two sauces, you should use the word sauces.

Will's been posting this poem for the past, what, twenty years? Dunce has been "editing" his book for the past three.

One has to wonder if either of them has even bothered reading it.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 2:00:34 PM9/4/19
Bother to scan it? No need to be insulting.
If you like your way better, do it your way.
No harm, no foul. It was just a suggestion.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 2:06:24 PM9/4/19
snip

Poor Pig Pen had nothing to say about the line, alas; but knowing how he writes we know the solution he'd propose. Any writer of Victorian verse would have solved the problem by writing:

The sauces red and green were made from scratch

Which gets in the plural while keeping the meter.

That makes 3 alternatives, which Will gets to pick from.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 2:12:09 PM9/4/19
LOL. Who do you imagine you're talking to?

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 2:23:52 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 2:12:09 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> LOL. Who do you imagine you're talking to?

Dunce imagines that the poem is a sonnet... but whatever meter he's scanning in it is anybody's guess.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 2:31:36 PM9/4/19
Like it or not, it is a sonnet. More importantly, it's a sonnet that tells a story, and
as you can see, nobody knows how to fuck up a good story quite like George.

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 2:35:34 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 2:06:24 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:

> > > I don't think "sauces" is pronounced with the stress on the second syllable, as per your suggestion. If you think it's unclear that there are two different sauces, do you think that substituting "both" for "there" makes that clear? (
> > > That would mean using 'both' two lines in a row, as it's in L10 - but it would also mean not using 'there' two lines in a row, as now - so it's a wash.)
> > >

> snip
>
> Poor Pig Pen had nothing to say about the line, alas; but knowing how he writes we know the solution he'd propose. Any writer of Victorian verse would have solved the problem by writing:
>
> The sauces red and green were made from scratch
>
> Which gets in the plural while keeping the meter.
>
> That makes 3 alternatives, which Will gets to pick from.

I do like having a choice.

:)

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 2:49:21 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> Like it or not, it is a sonnet.

I'd say that it's *arguably* a sonnet.

Generally sonnets employ rhyme and meter and have ten syllables per line.

Will's poem meets the rhyme requirement, but the syllable count varies randomly between 10-12 beats per line, and the meter is nowhere to be found.

I'd call it a "Sorta-Sonnet."

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 3:07:47 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Like it or not, it is a sonnet. More importantly, it's a sonnet that tells a story, and
> as you can see, nobody knows how to fuck up a good story quite like George.

What about my story do you think G.J.D. got wrong?

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 3:08:32 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 2:31:36 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Like it or not, it is a sonnet. More importantly, it's a sonnet that tells a story, and
> as you can see, nobody knows how to fuck up a good story quite like George.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 3:10:20 PM9/4/19
It may only be a sonnet in the broadest sense of the word,
but it is nevertheless significantly more identifiable as a
sonnet than as a ketchup bottle. It won't hold any ketchup.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 3:15:40 PM9/4/19
True... but once his book comes out, one could use it to wipe up ketchup.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 3:16:52 PM9/4/19
Then the line would read (and scan)

The RED and GREEN sal-SAS were MADE from SCRATCH

Same stress problem.

There is a work-around - a trick called "trochaic inversion" or "trochaic substitution - that allows the words to scan as trochees (SAUC-es and SAL-sas); but I don't want to bore you with that poetry stuff.

Coco DeSockmonkey

Sep 4, 2019, 3:21:15 PM9/4/19
And how would you stress the syllables in the opening line ("I often think of my past and the best tacos"? What meter would you say that it's set in?

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 3:25:55 PM9/4/19
It's not boring. I just think you're being silly with 'that poetry stuff',
trying to sound smart and edumacated by using them big words.

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 3:26:46 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:16:52 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
Looks good to me, G.J.D.

You're the editor... edit.

;)

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 3:33:02 PM9/4/19
There's another alternative, as well: "trochaic inversion" (TI) or "trochaic substitution," which allows you to use trochees in an iambic verse.

That's usually used at the beginning of a line, and in fact you use TI that way at the beginning of the very next line:

HARD to deCIDE on WHICH,

But it can be used in mid-line as well. However:
"A trochaic substitution in the middle of a line forces us to have two stressed syllables next to each other. This naturally creates a tendency to pause between the two strong syllables. As a result, it's generally bad form to use a trochaic substitution in the middle of a line in a situation where the pause would not be natural."
http://elliptica.blogspot.com/2008/01/trochaic-substitutions-in-iambic-verse.html

You'd have to build in a pause, with commas, which gives you an alternative:

The red, and green, sauces were made from scratch

That lets your reader pronounce "sauces" as a trochee.

The only drawback is that, being a variation from the meter, it gets attention, so it's usually used to draw attention to (emphasize) what follows; and reading the line that way sounds like needless dramatization.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 3:34:55 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:21:15 PM UTC-4, Coco DeSockmonkey wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:16:52 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:

> And how would you stress the syllables in the opening line ("I often think of my past and the best tacos"? What meter would you say that it's set in?

Loose iambic. "i OFTen THINK of my PAST and the BEST taCOS"

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 3:40:46 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:25:55 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> It's not boring. I just think you're being silly with 'that poetry stuff',
> trying to sound smart and edumacated by using them big words.

They're googlable words. I've got those ones memorized, but that doesn't make me especially smart (though I am or educated (which I'm not). I looked them all up online because I wanted to learn how to write sonnets. You never did, because you never wanted to write one - that's all.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 3:46:27 PM9/4/19
Your suggestion will lead to an improved line, for sure; so thank you for speaking up.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 3:57:11 PM9/4/19
No, Will. I am your editor, but I'm also your sonnet mentor. I believe you need to understand the problems and the various solutions, and pick the one that's most in line with what you think is important.

OK. Here are the choices.

(1) The red and green sauce there were made from scratch.
(problem: subject-verb disagreement ("sauce ... were")

(2) The red and green sauce both were made from scratch
(problem: same as with 1)

(3) The red and green sauces were made from scratch
(problem; doesn't scan)

(4) The sauces red and green were made from scratch
(problem: sounds old-fashioned)

(5) The red, and green, sauces were made from scratch
(problem: sounds overly dramatic)

The choice has to be resolved by deciding which of these considerations are most important to you - which do you tradeoff for what? They're the type of choice you'll have to make when you write sonnets in the future, so I think it's a good idea for you to practice trading-off here.

Coco DeSockmonkey

Sep 4, 2019, 4:00:33 PM9/4/19
It has long been my impression that a sonnet should consistently employ a single meter throughout. Or is this some newfangled PoMo poetry rule I'm unfamiliar with?

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 4:02:44 PM9/4/19
Your sonnet mentor has spoken. Now you must decide. LOL

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 6:13:20 PM9/4/19
It's something I ran into years back in a poem by Edward Thomas, 'The Manor Farm."

The rock-like mud unfroze a little and rills
Ran and sparkled down each side of the road
Under the catkins wagging in the hedge.
But earth would have her sleep out, spite of the sun;
[...]

I had no idea what it was called, and asked about it here in fact.

Years later, I found the "loose IP" name in Timothy Steele's essay on meter. (i'll see if i can find that still online.)

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 6:15:33 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 4:02:44 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> Your sonnet mentor has spoken. Now you must decide. LOL

Just because I thanked you for speaking up once doesn't mean I want you to continue, you know.

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 6:17:11 PM9/4/19
... if it's not too inconvenient, of course. I can pick one, but I'd rather know first if you particularly like or dislike any of them.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 4, 2019, 6:32:36 PM9/4/19
You don't have to want me to continue.
You can, but you certainly don't have to.

Brainiac Five

Sep 4, 2019, 6:32:50 PM9/4/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 6:50:26 AM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey
wrote:

> Okay, so I did the wrestling event at the arena on Monday,
> and made a pocket full of money for working on the holiday,
> but I'm really paying for it physically now. You'd be amazed
> how much heavy electric cable gets run to power the lights
> and speakers on a televised event like that, and somebody
> has to physically pull all that cable out of big heavy boxes,
> and then collect and return it to boxes at the end of the show.
> That was me, all physical labor; what we call 'neck-down
> grunt work', because that's all you're required to do or know.
> I did my fair share of grunt work, and then some, on Monday.
> I'm proud to say I was able to hold my own in a group of men
> about half my age, but I couldn't move at all yesterday, and
> today I don't think I'll be doing much more than walk the dogs.

My friend Don Sanders vs. Jimmy Golden.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meL2y2UjBoc

Don starts at 19:32.....

https://youtu.be/meL2y2UjBoc?t=1172

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 7:17:26 PM9/4/19
Well, I will have to think it over for a while...

;)

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 7:55:26 PM9/4/19
I'd call "The Manor Farm" an early example of "free verse"... but my question appertained to the sonnet form.

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 8:30:19 PM9/4/19
Obviously I want the best line possible in my poem.

:)

George J. Dance

Sep 4, 2019, 8:40:27 PM9/4/19
I saw it, and see it, as blank verse.

but my question appertained to the sonnet form.

The sonnet doesn't have an established meter. Strict IP is what's usually used, but that's a convention, not a rule.

Will Dockery

Sep 4, 2019, 9:13:30 PM9/4/19
I'll pick the most natural sounding line, of course.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 4, 2019, 9:14:34 PM9/4/19
The lines are uneven and the "meter" isn't coming across to me; two elements which would rule it out as such.

Although, I suppose one could extend your euphemism and refer to it as "loose blank verse."

> but my question appertained to the sonnet form.
>
> The sonnet doesn't have an established meter. Strict IP is what's usually used, but that's a convention, not a rule.

Amazing how you've still managed to avoid answering my question. They certainly don't call you "Mr. Dance" for nothing.

I didn't ask if only one type of meter was appropriate for a sonnet. I asked if you could still call something a sonnet when it has a different meter for every line.
Message has been deleted

George J. Dance

Sep 5, 2019, 5:21:32 AM9/5/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 9:14:34 PM UTC-4, Michael Pendragon wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 8:40:27 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:

> > > I'd call "The Manor Farm" an early example of "free verse"...
> >
> > I saw it, and see it, as blank verse.
>
> The lines are uneven and the "meter" isn't coming across to me; two elements which would rule it out as such.

The lines are all five feet long; it's regular pentameter, not free verse at all.

> Although, I suppose one could extend your euphemism and refer to it as "loose blank verse."

Sure.

> > but my question appertained to the sonnet form.
> >
> > The sonnet doesn't have an established meter. Strict IP is what's usually used, but that's a convention, not a rule.
>
> Amazing how you've still managed to avoid answering my question.

You forgot to snip my answers to the 3 questions you've asked so far. If you're going to pretend that I haven't answered your "question", you could at least do that, you know.

> They certainly don't call you "Mr. Dance" for nothing.

> I didn't ask if only one type of meter was appropriate for a sonnet. I asked if you could still call something a sonnet when it has a different meter for every line.

No; you asked me what meter Will's sonnet was written in, and I told you: loose iambic. You then asked if that was appropriate to the sonnet form, and I told you that, in theory, any meter can be used in a sonnet. You may not like any of that, but you certainly can't reasonably complain that I've been ignoring your questions.

Will Dockery

Sep 5, 2019, 6:09:13 AM9/5/19
It looks lie Pendragon is projecting, again.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 5, 2019, 7:51:42 AM9/5/19
Here is my original question: "It has long been my impression that a sonnet should consistently employ a single meter throughout. Or is this some newfangled PoMo poetry rule I'm unfamiliar with?"

If you honestly think I am asking if "loose IP" is an appropriate sonnet form, your reading comprehension levels are even lower than Will's.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 5, 2019, 7:53:13 AM9/5/19
It looks like Will is making another Freudian slip.

Will Dockery

Sep 5, 2019, 10:41:39 AM9/5/19
No, that was a typo, meant to type:

"It looks like lying Pendragon is projecting, again."

;)

Will Dockery

Sep 5, 2019, 12:09:48 PM9/5/19
On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:57:11 PM UTC-4, George J. Dance wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 4, 2019 at 3:26:46 PM UTC-4, Will Dockery wrote:

> > > Then the line would read (and scan)
> > >
> > > The RED and GREEN sal-SAS were MADE from SCRATCH
> > >
> > > Same stress problem.
> > >
> > > There is a work-around - a trick called "trochaic inversion" or "trochaic substitution - that allows the words to scan as trochees (SAUC-es and SAL-sas); but I don't want to bore you with that poetry stuff.
> >
> > Looks good to me, G.J.D.
> >
> > You're the editor... edit.
> >

> No, Will. I am your editor, but I'm also your sonnet mentor. I believe you need to understand the problems and the various solutions, and pick the one that's most in line with what you think is important.
>
> OK. Here are the choices.

My original line was:

"The red and green sauce there made from scratch"

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-0/p75x225/28870000_10156364298994363_2770068098247335869_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_oc=AQlTbsch8Xm_ItbJA3I-xuJS8YUsmp9aRCRW5q3B8UHNCPASPDsJvRSyuttdORvDG6M&_nc_ht=scontent-atl3-1.xx&oh=11e2736e38be53a5c0685fa4825c9736&oe=5E02AA29

Your current edit reads:

"The red and green sauce there were made from scratch"

https://pennyspoetry.fandom.com/wiki/Sandbox:_Act_of_Will_part_1

What is wrong with:

"The red and green sauce there was made from scratch"?

> (1) The red and green sauce there were made from scratch.
> (problem: subject-verb disagreement ("sauce ... were")
>
> (2) The red and green sauce both were made from scratch
> (problem: same as with 1)
>
> (3) The red and green sauces were made from scratch
> (problem; doesn't scan)
>
> (4) The sauces red and green were made from scratch
> (problem: sounds old-fashioned)
>
> (5) The red, and green, sauces were made from scratch
> (problem: sounds overly dramatic)
>
> The choice has to be resolved by deciding which of these considerations are most important to you - which do you tradeoff for what? They're the type of choice you'll have to make when you write sonnets in the future, so I think it's a good idea for you to practice trading-off here.

Thanks, this was helpful, or shall be.

Perry Winkler

Sep 5, 2019, 3:18:57 PM9/5/19
The final edit is a keeper....

Brainiac Five

Sep 5, 2019, 11:47:37 PM9/5/19
Interesting knowledge.....

George J. Dance

Sep 6, 2019, 6:54:49 PM9/6/19
Perhaps. But here's the context of your original question:

If by "this" you meant something other than Will's use of loose IP in his sonnet, it wasn't clear what you meant (since we weren't talking about anything else than that). It still isn't.

Will Dockery

Sep 6, 2019, 8:22:48 PM9/6/19
Good question, George.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 7, 2019, 1:32:21 AM9/7/19
We were talking the alleged meter of Will's poem.

You've identified Will's opening line as "loose IP," and posted an example of how the syllables would be stressed:

"i OFTen THINK of my PAST and the BEST taCOS"

FWI: "Often" is hyphenated between the "f" and the "t," so the pronunciation would be "OF-ten." "Tacos" is hyphenated between the "a" and the "c" ("ta-cos") and the first syllable is slightly stressed, so the pronunciation would be "TA-cos."

Your corrected line would be stressed as follows:

"i OF-ten THINK of my PAST and the BEST TA-cos."

That is: iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee.

"Iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee" does not translate to "iambic pentameter" regardless of how loosely the term is used.

The second line, "I'd share with Kathy down on Victory Drive" could pass as "loose IP."

The third line, "where the taco stand stood 40 years ago." opens with a pair of trochees:

"WHERE the TA-co STAND STOOD FOR-ty YEARS a-GO." Or: trochee-trochee-spondee-trochee-cretic.

The fourth line, "The Thursday special was a buck for five" would be pronounced as "the THURSday SPECial WAS a BUCK for FIVE." This is a tricky one because one has to decide whether to count the initial "the" as part of the first foot. I wouldn't, because no one says "the THURS/day SPEC/ial WAS..." The "the" would therefore be ignored as a soft beat followed by four trochees and a sustained single beat (the/THURSday/SPECial/WAS a/BUCK for/FIVE), which is much more in keeping with the normal speech patterns.

We now have "soft beat-trochee-trochee-trochee-trochee-hard beat."

So far, we've got:

iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee
loose IP
trochee-trochee-spondee-trochee-cretic
soft beat-trochee-trochee-trochee-trochee-hard beat

IOW: only one of the first four lines could be thought of as "loose IP."

And, more importantly, *none of their meters match.*

So, for the fourth time, I'm going to ask you: can a 14-line poem employ a different meter for each of its lines and still be considered a sonnet?

Will Dockery

Sep 7, 2019, 2:28:47 AM9/7/19
Thanks for reading and commenting, Pendragon.

;)

Brainiac Five

Sep 7, 2019, 2:54:24 AM9/7/19
Good point...….

Doc.... are you out there....?

George J. Dance

Sep 7, 2019, 5:31:45 PM9/7/19
Since the t's often silent, and you agree which syllable get the stress, I won't argue with that.

"Tacos" is hyphenated between the "a" and the "c" ("ta-cos")

Yes, I can add hyphens in the words with syllables within a foot.

> and the first syllable is slightly stressed, so the pronunciation would be "TA-cos."

I hear (and say) them no differently, as here:
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/taco

I think one would be stressed more in a sentence, but which one would depend on the surrounding words. "I had a taco yesterday" sounds better with the first syllable stressed; "the best taco imaginable" sounds better with the second stressed. I'll change my notation to a spondee.

> Your corrected line would be stressed as follows:
>
> "i OF-ten THINK of my PAST and the BEST TA-cos."
>
> That is: iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee.

> "Iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee" does not translate to "iambic pentameter" regardless of how loosely the term is used.

I'll change my scansion to a spondee. I wouldn't rule it out for that, since spondees are allowed (on occasion) even within strict IP.

> The second line, "I'd share with Kathy down on Victory Drive" could pass as "loose IP."
>
> The third line, "where the taco stand stood 40 years ago." opens with a pair of trochees:
>
> "WHERE the TA-co STAND STOOD FOR-ty YEARS a-GO." Or: trochee-trochee-spondee-trochee-cretic.

I scanned that as

Where the TA/co STAND / stood [FOR/ty] YEARS / a-GO
anapest, iamb, iamb, iamb, iamb - loose IP as well.

> The fourth line, "The Thursday special was a buck for five" would be pronounced as "the THURSday SPECial WAS a BUCK for FIVE." This is a tricky one because one has to decide whether to count the initial "the" as part of the first foot. I wouldn't, because no one says "the THURS/day SPEC/ial WAS..." The "the" would therefore be ignored as a soft beat followed by four trochees and a sustained single beat (the/THURSday/SPECial/WAS a/BUCK for/FIVE), which is much more in keeping with the normal speech patterns.

> We now have "soft beat-trochee-trochee-trochee-trochee-hard beat."

OMFG!, as they say. The line is perfectly iambic.

I see I'll have to post my own scansion.

Michael Pendragon

Sep 7, 2019, 11:53:31 PM9/7/19
Silly Dunce. I wasn't correcting you on the hyphenation -- merely pointing it out. I was correcting you the stressed syllable.

> > and the first syllable is slightly stressed, so the pronunciation would be "TA-cos."
>
> I hear (and say) them no differently, as here:
> https://dictionary.cambridge.org/pronunciation/english/taco
>
> I think one would be stressed more in a sentence, but which one would depend on the surrounding words. "I had a taco yesterday" sounds better with the first syllable stressed; "the best taco imaginable" sounds better with the second stressed. I'll change my notation to a spondee.
>
> > Your corrected line would be stressed as follows:
> >
> > "i OF-ten THINK of my PAST and the BEST TA-cos."
> >
> > That is: iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee.
>

> > "Iamb-iamb-anapest-anapest-trochee" does not translate to "iambic pentameter" regardless of how loosely the term is used.
>
> I'll change my scansion to a spondee. I wouldn't rule it out for that, since spondees are allowed (on occasion) even within strict IP.
>
> > The second line, "I'd share with Kathy down on Victory Drive" could pass as "loose IP."
> >
> > The third line, "where the taco stand stood 40 years ago." opens with a pair of trochees:
> >
> > "WHERE the TA-co STAND STOOD FOR-ty YEARS a-GO." Or: trochee-trochee-spondee-trochee-cretic.
>
> I scanned that as
>
> Where the TA/co STAND / stood [FOR/ty] YEARS / a-GO
> anapest, iamb, iamb, iamb, iamb - loose IP as well.

You can always force most sentences into any meter you want, but it doesn't sound very natural when you do.

> > The fourth line, "The Thursday special was a buck for five" would be pronounced as "the THURSday SPECial WAS a BUCK for FIVE." This is a tricky one because one has to decide whether to count the initial "the" as part of the first foot. I wouldn't, because no one says "the THURS/day SPEC/ial WAS..." The "the" would therefore be ignored as a soft beat followed by four trochees and a sustained single beat (the/THURSday/SPECial/WAS a/BUCK for/FIVE), which is much more in keeping with the normal speech patterns.
>
> > We now have "soft beat-trochee-trochee-trochee-trochee-hard beat."
>
> OMFG!, as they say. The line is perfectly iambic.
>
> I see I'll have to post my own scansion.

It's only iambic if you count the opening "the" and force the meter when reading. Try reading it aloud and you'll see that the iambic take sounds ridiculously forced.

I believe that a poem's meter should follow natural speech patterns -- otherwise it reads in a sing-song manner that sounds amateurish.

When I read Will's poem, it (mostly) comes across as naturally spoken prose (chopped up for visual effect). I mean this as a good thing. The following is a breakdown of how I hear it being read (the stresses should be very light):

I OFten think of my PAST/
and the BEST TAcos I'd share with KATHy/
down on VICtory DRIVE/
where the TAco stand stood FORty YEARS aGO./
The THURSday SPECial was a BUCK for FIVE;/
BACK THEN at BUEna VISta TAco stand/
near ZOdiac and MICKey's, on MUsic ROW./
At the little TAble there I'd HOLD her hand;/
eating a TAco AFter the ROCK show./
The red and green SAUCEs there were MADE from SCRATCH/
(hard to deCIDE on WHICH, both MIGHty FINE)
though we aGREED the GREEN sauce had no MATCH./
SHARing our FEAST, her EYES staring into MINE.../
NosTALgia; aLONE with CHILLing WIND/
and VIsions of my LAdy KATHerine.

Scansion aside, it starts off better than it ends (getting progressively weaker as the narrative moves along). The penultimate line is six degrees beyond horrible. Who would ever say something in real life that even resembled "Nostalgia, alone with the chilling wind"?

Here's the text punctuated for clarity and with "sauces" in its correct, plural form:

I often think of my past, and the best tacos
I'd share with Kathy down on Victory Drive
where the taco stand stood 40 years ago.
The Thursday special was a buck for five;
back then at Buena Vista taco stand
near Zodiac and Mickey's, on music row.
At the little table there I'd hold her hand;
eating a taco after the rock show.
The red and green sauces there were made from scratch
(hard to decide on which, both mighty fine)
though we agreed the green sauce had no match.
Sharing our feast, her eyes staring into mine . . .
Nostalgia; alone with chilling wind
and visions of my Lady Katherine.

It's still an embarrassingly bad piece of work -- and being cast in a supposed sonnet form only heightens its weaknesses.

As an editor, you're faced with two choices: 1) work with it in sonnet form, or, 2) work with it as anecdotal prose and chop for presentation when finished.

I would suggest the second option. It's easier to make poorly written anecdotal prose read well than it is to fashion a sonnet out of a sow's ear.

Then again, it's hard to even make agreeable prose out of this swill. I just wasted fifteen minutes trying to fashion a decent sentence out of the first three lines, only to come to the conclusion that it can't be done. That is, it can't be done without rewriting the passages entirely.

I often think of my past, and the best tacos
I'd share with Kathy down on Victory Drive
where the taco stand stood 40 years ago.

The opening line is laughably bad. Try sticking a period at the end of it if you haven't gotten the joke.

Can you imagine an old man waxing nostalgic over his past... and the best tacos that they'd serve up for cheap down on Victory Drive?

It's as though the measure of a man's life lies in the quality (or, in this case, the greasiness) of his meals.

Another problem is that it's too convoluted: "I often think of my past, and the best tacos I'd share with Kathy, down on Victory Drive where the taco stand stood forty years ago."

"I often think of my past" doesn't belong at the local Taco Bell.

It requires *at least* a complete sentence to itself before we start smacking our lips over the menu: "I often think about my past; thirty-five, forty years ago, when Kathy and I were carefree with youth, and the world was just a backdrop for our tale."

This places the focus on what should be the main points of the poem: Nostalgia for a lost past, Kathy (a lost love), and lost youth... as opposed to some twenty cent tacos.

Speaking of which... "Like the old Buena Vista taco stand that used to be down on Victory Boulevard, some forty years ago. Kathy and I used to share the best tacos there, on Thursday nights after the rock show when they sold the tacos at a buck for five."

But, of course, the first sentence is a total rewrite; incorporating what I take to be the main themes of Will's poem into the text. The latter two sentences keep more closely to the original text -- they just switch the various parts around to read in a more natural style. It won't be a pseudo-sonnet anymore, but let's see how it looks once after having been properly chopped:

I often think about my past;
thirty-five, forty years ago,
when Kathy and I were carefree with youth,
and the world was just a backdrop for our tale.

Like the old Buena Vista taco stand
that used to be down on Victory Boulevard,
some forty years ago.

Kathy and I used to share
the best tacos there, on Thursday nights
after the rock show when they sold
the tacos at a buck for five.

***

As to the taco sonnet, I'm not even going to try. Then again, I could just cut two lines from my previous spoof and have:

The "At the Taco Stand" Sonnet

Took my bitch out for tacos on Victory Drive,
on Thursdays when tacos were a buck for five;
I'd dribble some salsa on top of my dick,
and push Kathy's face down and tell her to lick;
then I'd dribble more salsa and get some more head,
while Clay lay asleep in the truck's cargo bed;
then she'd suck off some fucker in truck number two,
and we'd use the five dollars to buy us some brew;
A few brewskies later and back to my shed,
Where Kathy and I could lie down in our bed
And watch pretty colors the rest of the night;
While back on the pickup's bed, snuggled up tight,
Young Clay snored away like he hadn't a care
All curled up like a kitten on top of the spare.

Art for Sale

Sep 8, 2019, 12:01:31 AM9/8/19
That will be of interest.....

NancyGene

Sep 8, 2019, 7:43:17 AM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 3:53:31 AM UTC, Michael Pendragon wrote:

Another excellent critique, Michael, which FF's writings really do not deserve.

> I often think of my past, and the best tacos
>
> The opening line is laughably bad. Try sticking a period at the end of it if you haven't gotten the joke.

Subliminal sexual reference. Will should have written about the hot dog stand.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 9:56:15 AM9/8/19
That said, what are your thoughts on banana pudding?

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 12:15:55 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 7:43:17 AM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> > I often think of my past, and the best tacos
>
> Subliminal sexual reference

Bullshit much, Nancy G?

;)

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 12:27:10 PM9/8/19
Taco is a euphemism for vagina.

George J. Dance

Sep 8, 2019, 12:41:05 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 12:27:10 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> Taco is a euphemism for vagina.

Yes, that's come up before.
https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!msg/alt.arts.poetry.comments/j7tyL4KV0c4/bd4DUNNDAgAJ;context-place=forum/alt.arts.poetry.comments

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 12:42:11 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 12:27:10 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> Taco is a euphemism for vagina.

Not to me, so you're wrong.

;)

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 12:50:44 PM9/8/19
Yes, it is used, mostly in childish schoolyard banter, but not in my poem, of course.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 12:56:28 PM9/8/19
Of course you don't know what other people are thinking about as they read you,
so as a writer, you should be aware that taco is a common euphemism for vagina.

George J. Dance

Sep 8, 2019, 12:57:24 PM9/8/19
Sometimes a taco is just a taco.

Art for Sale

Sep 8, 2019, 12:58:57 PM9/8/19
Trying to goad Doc into another argument, Pastor Corey....?

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 1:01:03 PM9/8/19
A taco is only a taco when it's actually a taco.
When a taco is in a poem, it can be anything.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 1:03:33 PM9/8/19
I am not, and have no intention of arguing with anyone. If you'd rather
I not talk about the poem, fine. I won't talk about the poem. No worries.

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 1:07:08 PM9/8/19
It was a good place to eat, and I notice as I rode through the area nothing remains of where the taco stand once stood...

A modern steel and glass building of some purpose now stands there.

Thus makes my poem more important to me, I suspect some readers will understand.

Art for Sale

Sep 8, 2019, 1:08:38 PM9/8/19
They call It Urban renewal.....

NancyGene

Sep 8, 2019, 1:18:29 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 4:56:28 PM UTC, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> Of course you don't know what other people are thinking about as they read you,
> so as a writer, you should be aware that taco is a common euphemism for vagina.

It's time for a more realistic interpretation of the taco poem. FF's underlying meaning is that a man with a massive sexual appetite will find food in Columbus--all you can eat, mostly for free.

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 1:19:46 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:01:03 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> A taco is only a taco when it's actually a taco.
> When a taco is in a poem, it can be anything.

The title of the poem sets the scene at a taco stand.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 1:33:04 PM9/8/19
I've seen a taco stand.
When a taco sits, the inference:
A taco looks good from behind
when my banana splits the difference.

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 1:37:37 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:18:29 PM UTC-4, NancyGene wrote:

> It's time for

More malicious trolling from you, Nancy G?

That's any time, right?

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 1:46:35 PM9/8/19
A more realistic interpretation of the taco poem is that it's about
a man lamenting the loss of the best piece of taco he ever had.

NancyGene

Sep 8, 2019, 1:59:08 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 5:46:35 PM UTC, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> A more realistic interpretation of the taco poem is that it's about
> a man lamenting the loss of the best piece of taco he ever had.

He "looked all over" and sampled tacos everywhere, but none had the same crunchy-soft shell and mixture of red and green sauces, let alone the bargain price?

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 2:02:04 PM9/8/19
Indubitably.

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 2:02:32 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:46:35 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> A more realistic interpretation of the taco poem is that it's about
> a man lamenting the loss of the best piece of taco he ever had.

Perhaps you could interpret that, but as the writer of the poem I say you're off focus.

Or, as you'd put it... you're wrong.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 2:07:08 PM9/8/19
LOL. You're welcome.

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 3:44:11 PM9/8/19
As the writer of the poem, you literally have no idea how clear
my focus is, or what it's on. As an interpreter, I am never wrong.

ME

Sep 8, 2019, 4:04:36 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 3:44:11 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:
> As the writer of the poem, you literally have no idea how clear
> my focus is, or what it's on. As an interpreter, I am never wrong.

You know he’ll try to bury this one.

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 4:15:40 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 1:03:33 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> I am not, and have no intention of arguing with anyone. If you'd rather
> I not talk about the poem, fine. I won't talk about the poem. No worries.

That's great... let's talk.

;)

Hieronymous Corey

Sep 8, 2019, 4:25:04 PM9/8/19
LOL

Will Dockery

Sep 8, 2019, 4:27:02 PM9/8/19
On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 4:25:04 PM UTC-4, Hieronymous Corey wrote:

> LOL

Or let's just smoke a joint and giggle a lot?

;)
It is loading more messages.