Green Table CD recording?

David Leonard

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

I've heard rumours that somewhere in continental Europe a CD recording
of the music for Kurt Jooss's "The Green Table" has recently appeared.

Has anyone come across this?

David Leonard
Dance Books Ltd

Visit the Dance Books' website, 2000 books, CDs,
and videos online: www.dancebooks.co.uk

Meljnsn

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

David --

I believe that the copyright to Fritz Cohen's music to The Green Table is
held by the Jooss estate. Anna Markard's (Jooss' daughter's) attitude toward
all of her father's rights and interests has been extremely cautious and
closely-held. If the rumor you cite is true, it would be wonderful. I have
been looking for a recording of that score for 30 years! I think there also is
an ethical issue involved in that Jooss is viewed in some circles as having
obtained the rights to Cohen's music by taking unfair advantage of the latter's
unhappy position during the rise of the Nazis. I don't know if there was or is
any litigation involved in the case, but one can understand the sensitivity on
Markard's part about releasing the score to recording (bad form to appear as
the Profiteer)!
I've also been trying to find Alexander Tansman's Sonatine Transatlantique
- the score to The Big City - but no luck there either.

Best Regards,

Mel Johnson
Mel...@aol.com
>I've heard rumours that somewhere in continental Europe a CD recording<BR>
>of the music for Kurt Jooss's "The Green Table" has recently appeared.<BR>
><BR>
>Has anyone come across

>this?

>David Leonard<BR>
>Dance Books Ltd<BR>

EYVONNE GRATZ

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98

ooh-ooh-ooh

I'd love to have the CD score also....

Eyvonne

Sandi Kurtz

Jun 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/13/98
to David Leonard

I would be _very_ interested in a recording as well -- please post to the
newgroup.

sandi kurtz

On Sat, 13 Jun 1998, David Leonard wrote:

> I've heard rumours that somewhere in continental Europe a CD recording

> of the music for Kurt Jooss's "The Green Table" has recently appeared.
>

> Has anyone come across this?
>

> David Leonard

ross.w

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Meljnsn wrote:

> David --
>
> I believe that the copyright to Fritz Cohen's music to The Green Table is
> held by the Jooss estate. Anna Markard's (Jooss' daughter's) attitude toward
> all of her father's rights and interests has been extremely cautious and
> closely-held. If the rumor you cite is true, it would be wonderful. I have
> been looking for a recording of that score for 30 years! I think there also is
> an ethical issue involved in that Jooss is viewed in some circles as having
> obtained the rights to Cohen's music by taking unfair advantage of the latter's
> unhappy position during the rise of the Nazis. I don't know if there was or is
> any litigation involved in the case, but one can understand the sensitivity on
> Markard's part about releasing the score to recording (bad form to appear as
> the Profiteer)!
> I've also been trying to find Alexander Tansman's Sonatine Transatlantique
> - the score to The Big City - but no luck there either.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Mel Johnson
> Mel...@aol.com
> >I've heard rumours that somewhere in continental Europe a CD recording<BR>
> >of the music for Kurt Jooss's "The Green Table" has recently appeared.<BR>
> ><BR>

> >Has anyone come across
>
> >this?
>
> >David Leonard<BR>
> >Dance Books Ltd<BR>

Having played infinite performances of this ballet I'd be glad to record
it with my colleague if someone wants to put up the funds!

Meljnsn

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Ross --

Your offer is truly magnanimous, but I don't know that money is the only
obstacle. Some of the European probate lawyers can be downright cantankerous
when it comes to protecting their clients' estates. Not so long ago, Eliot
Feld ran afoul of a portion of Richard Strauss' will that forbade the use of
his music for ballet unless Strauss had cleared it during his lifetime, or
written it especially for dance. The attorneys prsented their restriction just
before the premiere, and Feld's setting of "Four Last Songs" was performed in
silence (with the exception of some people who brought cassette recorders with
the score and listened through headphones - a truly ghostly accompaniment).
The Ravel estate caused Robert Joffrey to have a special commission made up
overnight for Gerald Arpino's "Sea Shadow" - the lawyers seized the score from
the orchestra stands! In recent years, ASCAP has begun dunning small
commercial dance schools for fees for the use of classroom and "recital" music.

I know that Joffrey was especially solicitous of Anna Markard's wishes,
and had it been possible, I believe he would have obtained a recording
clearance as he had for the score to "Trinity", a clearance which was withdrawn
only a year after it had been given. Joffrey was very proud of his Jooss
repertoire, as he was of his "Diaglhilev" and Ashton repertoires, and that he
did not do it might be a good indication of anybody's being able to do it.
Maybe Lili would have some experiences that could illuminate this thread.

Best regards,

Mel Johnson
Mel...@aol.com

Amy Reusch

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

In article <199806151638...@ladder01.news.aol.com>, mel...@aol.com
(Meljnsn) writes:

> Not so long ago, Eliot
>Feld ran afoul of a portion of Richard Strauss' will that forbade the use of
>his music for ballet unless Strauss had cleared it during his lifetime, or
>written it especially for dance.

Wow... not ever?? How long do the rights to Strauss' works last? Somewhere I
was under the impression that rights went to public domain 50 years after the
artist's death... is that international or only here in the US? My dictionary
puts his death at 1949. Wasn't "Also Sprach Zarathustra" the score for "Planet
of the Apes"? Perhaps he hadn't anticipated that...

Speaking of music & dance & film, anyone else catch the manipulation of
"Huapango" (possibly Jose Pablo Moncayo's) that mexican folk dance music
throughout "The Truman Show"?

. . . . . . . . . . . . .
Amy Reusch - eye4...@aol.com
Dance Videographer, now based in Hartford, CT
DANCE LINKS: http://www.dancer.com/dance-links/
A.A.B. E-Mail Directory: http://www.dancer.com/email-links/

ross.w

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Meljnsn wrote:

> Ross --
>
> Your offer is truly magnanimous, but I don't know that money is the only
> obstacle. Some of the European probate lawyers can be downright cantankerous
> when it comes to protecting their clients' estates. Not so long ago, Eliot

> Feld ran afoul of a portion of Richard Strauss' will that forbade the use of
> his music for ballet unless Strauss had cleared it during his lifetime, or
> written it especially for dance. The attorneys prsented their restriction just
> before the premiere, and Feld's setting of "Four Last Songs" was performed in
> silence (with the exception of some people who brought cassette recorders with
> the score and listened through headphones - a truly ghostly accompaniment).
> The Ravel estate caused Robert Joffrey to have a special commission made up
> overnight for Gerald Arpino's "Sea Shadow" - the lawyers seized the score from
> the orchestra stands! In recent years, ASCAP has begun dunning small
> commercial dance schools for fees for the use of classroom and "recital" music.
>
> I know that Joffrey was especially solicitous of Anna Markard's wishes,
> and had it been possible, I believe he would have obtained a recording
> clearance as he had for the score to "Trinity", a clearance which was withdrawn
> only a year after it had been given. Joffrey was very proud of his Jooss
> repertoire, as he was of his "Diaglhilev" and Ashton repertoires, and that he
> did not do it might be a good indication of anybody's being able to do it.
> Maybe Lili would have some experiences that could illuminate this thread.
>
> Best regards,
>
> Mel Johnson
> Mel...@aol.com

This beggars the question : Is it Anna Markard's business or the
business of the estate of Fritz Cohen?

Rodney Bigence

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Meljnsn wrote in message
<199806151638...@ladder01.news.aol.com>...

>In recent years, ASCAP has begun dunning small
>commercial dance schools for fees for the use of classroom and "recital"
music.

As well it should. If a dance school is a commercial operation, payment for
the use of copyrighted material is an appropriate business expense. The fee
charged by ASCAP is a token amount, far less than the dance school's annual
electrical bill. If the school doesn't wish to pay the fee, there is plenty
of public domain material that can be used instead.

Meljnsn

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Actually, it was "2001", and the apes didn't have very good turnout, so maybe
the estate thought it was tap or something. ;-)

Actually, Strauss' crotchets about certain topics were legendary; he hated
tenors, so the "tenor" role in Rosenkavalier is a trouser part, or in this case
breeches, for a soprano.

Ed could probably tell us stories...?

Actually, the 50-year rule is pretty much intact. Strauss having died in 49
still puts his work directly under copyright restriction until next year. The
most enjoyable (for my liking) exercise of the public-domain-after-50 rule came
in 1951, when Sir Arthur Sullivan's music went public (not Gilbert's words,
however) and John Cranko choreographed "Pineapple Poll" to a masterful pastiche
score arranged by Charles MacKerras.

Mel Johnson
Mel...@aol.com

Meljnsn

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

Ross --

I believe that this is a matter for legal research, but as I mentioned in a
knowledge, bought out by Kurt Jooss when Cohen began having problems (BIG ones)
with the Nazis. Anna Markard is the principal beneficiary and executrix of the
Jooss estate. If you can obtain the performance clearance and recording
rights, dance lovers everywhere will be grateful to you.

I do not believe, however, that my previous post "beggars" the question of who
owns the rights, but might appear to "beg" it to someone innocent of the
earlier part of this thread.

Mel Johnson
Mel...@aol.com

>This beggars the question : Is it Anna Markard's business or the<BR>
>business of the estate of Fritz Cohen?<BR>

Meljnsn

Jun 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/15/98

ok, OK. I meant "masterly"; I don't think he was dictatorial or overbearing
about it!

Mel

>John Cranko choreographed "Pineapple Poll" to a masterful pastiche<BR>
>score arranged by Charles MacKerras.<BR>

he...@my-dejanews.com

Jun 17, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/17/98

In case someone else hasn't posted this yet..

Die Gruene Tisch (The Green Table) is available on a German CD KOCH365452;
it was released in April 1998.

Tansman's Sonatina #2 Transatlantique is on a 2 CD set which has Sonatinas 1-3
and Sonatas 1-5. The label is Etcetera, I've seen the number as both ETY2021
and ETC0002021.

I haven't heard either of these, so I don't know what the quality of these
recordings is.

In article <199806131148...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Christian Griesbeck

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Amy Reusch <amyr...@aol.com> wrote:

> Wow... not ever?? How long do the rights to Strauss' works last? Somewhere I
> was under the impression that rights went to public domain 50 years after the
> artist's death... is that international or only here in the US? My dictionary
> puts his death at 1949. Wasn't "Also Sprach Zarathustra" the score for
> "Planet of the Apes"? Perhaps he hadn't anticipated that...

It was "2001", and some time ago the copyright owner got a lot of money
out of this illegal use. The copyright last now 70 years after the death
of the artist. For information on copyright see http://www.loc.gov/

--
||| Christian Griesbeck
|| grie...@stud.uni-frankfurt.de
| http://www.rz.uni-frankfurt.de/~griesbec/

Meljnsn

Jun 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM6/18/98

Thank you and may God bless you - twice over!

Mel Johnson
Mel...@aol.com><HTML>Subject: Re: Green Table CD recording?<BR>