A PANDA IS BORN IN U.S.! China Duns America For Rental Dollars!

Chairman Shitynthestreet

Sep 17, 2012, 9:07:25 AM9/17/12
GREAT veterinary and medical news!

Another rented panda emerges ...

And Mitt Romney's wife Ann learns she does not have yet another
disease!

----------------------

"In Washington, D.C., one block from where the rental cub resides, you
can bet a dozen or more human families live in at least moderate food
insecurity."

============================

"National Zoo welcomes baby panda"

By Michael E. Ruane
September 17, 2012

THE NATIONAL ZOO’s female giant panda gave birth to a cub Sunday
night, stunning and delighting zoo officials and sparking a new wave
of panda mania in Washington seven years after the zoo’s only other
cub was born in 2005.

The new cub was born at 10:46 p.m. to Mei Xiang, the zoo said, and
curator Becky Malinsky happened to be watching the 24-hour-a-day panda
camera feed and heard the first squealing of the newborn

“I got a call ... a little after 10:45” from a senior curator saying
“the behavior watcher just saw a birth,” said Don Moore, associate
director for animal care sciences. “I said, ‘Yeah, yeah, it’s not
April Fool’s yet, so I’m going back to bed. ’ She said, ‘No, no,
really. There’s been a panda. Congratulations.’ ”

“I was not believing it,” Moore said Monday. “We gave this a very low
percentage. We were prepared for another disappointment.... We bucked
the odds ... and we’ve got a baby on the ground.”

“We’re ecstatic,” he said. “She’s being a very very good mom.... Every
time the kid cries, she cradles it in a different way. What I’m
looking at is really good mothering behavior.”

Moore said the panda camera caught the moment of birth. “She kind of
breathes funny and then she jerks her body, and then she stands up and
kind of looks at something for just seconds ... and then picks it up.”

Zoo Director Dennis Kelly, who lives across the street from the zoo,
said Monday: “Congratulations to all of us here in Washington.”

Officials said they have caught only a glimpse of the cub but can hear
its “vocalizations” clearly.

“It’s very loud,” Kelly said Monday. “A high pitched, very loud
squeal. It’s surprisingly loud for a little critter that’s only the
size of a butter stick.”

Kelly said he has not seen the new cub, but he noted that panda cubs
look like naked mole rats and weigh about four ounces.

“This is still a very, very precarious situation,” he said. “This
particular animal is very , very small, and we’re going to watch it
very carefully, and we’re going to let mom take care of it unless we
get some indication that something’s wrong. So we’re likely not to see
much of her or the cub for about a week.”

Zoo officials are “going to watch and wait, and say our prayers just
like everybody else in Washington,” he said.

“I’m elated,” Senior curator Brandie Smith said. “I can’t stop
smiling. We’re sitting in the panda house all together. We’re giddy.
We’re still slightly in a state of shock. Just happy, excited,
surprised. It’s amazing.”

The zoo announced Aug. 20 that Mei had entered the final phase of her
annual reproductive cycle — one that would conclude in 40 to 50 days,
with or without a cub.

Mei, 14, had been artificially inseminated on April 29 and 30 after
she and the zoo’s male giant panda, Tian Tian, 15, failed to mate
successfully on their own.

The zoo said it was instructive that she was inseminated with frozen
sperm from Tian Tian that was saved after the successful insemination
that produced the zoo’s only prior cub, Tai Shan, in 2005.

On Sept. 4, the zoo went into the standard 24-hour-a-day panda
pregnancy watch, in which volunteers monitor cameras in the panda
compound day and night for signs of a cub.

The zoo said Mei had grown less interested in food, shredding bamboo
mainly to build a nest in her den and using large bamboo stalks for
the same purpose.

Over the Labor Day weekend, she started cradling toys, as if they were
cubs, and exhibiting other signs that she might be pregnant, the zoo
said on Sept. 6.

She would not cooperate in ultrasound procedures on Sept. 10 and 11.

Zoo experts did conduct an ultrasound test on the panda on Sept. 4,
but it was inconclusive.

“The only way we could definitely say that Mei is pregnant before she
gives birth is if our veterinarians see a fetus on an ultrasound —
which they haven’t,” the zoo said in a statement Sept. 6. “It is not
uncommon for panda ultrasounds to be inconclusive, and it is very
difficult to see a fetus on an ultrasound.”

Indeed, it is notoriously hard to determine whether a giant panda is
pregnant, because the animal can exhibit many false signs.

Mei has had five consecutive false pregnancies since 2007.

But her annual reproductive cycle was slightly different this year.

“Mei Xiang returned to a more normal estrus cycle this year,” the zoo
noted in a statement in August. “She went into heat in April after
three consecutive years of going into heat in January.”

The zoo has badly wanted panda cubs, and China, which owns and leases
all giant pandas in U.S. zoos, has said it would consider replacing
Washington’s pandas if Mei failed to become pregnant this year.

The zoo’s two adult pandas, who are both in panda middle age, had
produced only Tai Shan in the more than 10 years they have been at the
zoo.

Five years after he was born, he was sent to a breeding program in
China in 2010.

In its quest for cubs, the zoo has focused intense research on panda
reproduction. And in December, local philanthropist David M.
Rubenstein, co-founder and managing director of the Carlyle Group, a
global asset-management firm, pledged $4.5 million to fund such
research.

On Sept. 5, the zoo announced that it was getting another $400,000
from the Ford Motor Company Fund to study panda health. Much of the
money will go toward upgrading the obsolete panda cam system, the zoo
said.

Zoo experts had said that the chances of Mei becoming pregnant after
years of failed attempts may be less than 10 percent.

But senior curator Smith said in August the fact that Mei went into
heat in April could be a good sign.

“This year, instead of going into estrus in the winter, which she has
done for the past few years, which is kind of atypical for giant
pandas,” she went into estrus in the spring, Smith said.

“So the fact that her estrus is at a more typical time makes us really
excited and really hopeful that she might actually be pregnant this
year,” she said.

Smith had acknowledged that the chances may be small, but “as long as
it’s greater than zero percent, we definitely have hope.”

Last year, Chinese and U.S. officials agreed to extend the pandas’
stay in Washington for five years. The deal replaced a 10-year lease
that expired Dec. 6, 2010. The new agreement expires Dec. 6, 2015.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/national-zoo-welcomes-baby-panda/2012/09/17/ea44204c-00b2-11e2-9367-4e1bafb958db_story.html

rst0

Sep 17, 2012, 12:12:34 PM9/17/12
On Sep 17, 6:07 am, Chairman Shitynthestreet <perryneh...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/national-zoo-welcomes-baby-panda/...

Oh!!! my!!! It's only a baby panda!!!! And she still belongs to
China even though she's born in America.