What's a female cat called?

Murdock

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97
to Robin

A queen.

Robin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?
>
> Hoping you can help.
>
> --
> Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au
> Curtin University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin
> The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people
> feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.
> -- Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Simpsons, ("Moaning Lisa")

How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those who are wise
and of good will.
-- Albert Einstein

Jan Junod

Mar 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/4/97

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Robin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?
>
> Hoping you can help.

Uhmmmm, "Your Royal Majesty" ? That's what my two females think, anyway.

Jan

Jan Junod ju...@u.washington.edu

Garfield: DS R+W+B Y 17 X C+ I+ T++ A--- S++ Q++ P++ B+ PA+ PL++
G. B. Pshaw: DS (B+O)t+W G 16 Y L+ W+ C+ E++ S++ Q+++ P++ B+ PA+ PL++
Animal: DS (S+B)t+W G 16 Y C+++ H++ S++ Q++ P+ B+ PA+ PL+
Mom-Cat: DS (B+O+Rd)r G 7 X L+ W+ C+ T+++ A++/A-- S++ Q++ P++ B+ PA+ PL+
Ripple: DL Sh G 6 Y C+++ I- T+++ A+++ H+++ S+++ Q++ V++ P++ B-- PA+ PL++

Robin

Lucille

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

Dear Robin and all,

The word "tabby" can be used for a female cat, although as we know it
could also mean any domestic cat or specifically the striped markings.

"Grimalkin" can be used for an old female cat, also means a cross old
woman!

I have seen the word "queen" used for female cats as well, although it's
not found in the Webster's dictionary.

o__
_.>/ _
(_) \(_)..lu

Kevin Quosig

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

In article <331CE5...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au>, Robin
<ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?

In-tact (whole) cats are called....

Female....Queen
Male......Tom

Anyone know of the names for the "altered" (spay/neuter) cats? For
example, in domestic ferrets:

Whole Male.....Hob
Neuter.........Gib
Whole Female...Jill
Spay...........Sprite

so for cats:

Whole Male.....Tom
Neuter.........???
Whole Female...Queen
Spay...........???

ke...@quosig.com
"Curious."

David A Thomas

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

Robin (ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au) wrote:
> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?

A queen.

--
David Thomas (da...@micro.ti.com)
Texas Instruments, Houston (713)-274-2347

Johanna Botari

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

Robin wrote:

> Hi,

> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?

I know at least a breeding female is referred to as a "queen". I don't
know if that still applies if she is spayed, and I'm not sure of the
term otherwise. My females are specifically called Lucy and Panda,
collectively "the girls", though I doubt that's what you're looking
for. ;-)

Johanna

reply to

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

Robin <ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
>a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
>called?
>

>Hoping you can help.
>
>--
>Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au
>Curtin University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin
>The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people
>feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.
> -- Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Simpsons, ("Moaning Lisa")

A queen, I think.

negative creep

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

On Wed, 5 Mar 1997, Robin wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?
>
> Hoping you can help.

Well, when my girls are being "good" (i.e. not dancing on my keyboard
while I try to type, or ripping up my legs when they are playing with
the dog) I call them "sweet babies" or "poo poo kitties." When they are
being unruly they are both called goddamnit! or damn cat! Either way I
love them with all my heart. (dog to)

Jill Connaway Bernstein - http://haywire.csuhayward.edu/~jconnawa

I don't really miss god but I sure miss Santa Claus - Hole

Erin Miller

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

Intact female canine = bitch
Intact female feline = queen
Intact male canine = dog
Intact male feline = tom

altered males of both are called neuters
altered females of both are called spays

-erin

Tereza2000

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

> Anyone know of the names for the "altered" (spay/neuter)
> cats? For example, in domestic ferrets:
> so for cats:
> Whole Male.....Tom
> Neuter.........???

This is kind of stupid, but after my Tom Cat was neutered, my dad called
him a Timmy Cat. I still think he's just a Pussy Pat though.

T.

I am moving and selling a lot of the stuff I collected over the years. List includes books (mostly nonfiction), cds, magazines, jewelry, videotapes and other stuff. Go to this URL for a complete list with descriptions and prices:
http://members.aol.com/tereza2000/books.html

David John Hobbs

Mar 5, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/5/97

> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?

Apparently they are called "Queens" by breeders.

Dave ....

Myranya Werlemann

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

On Wed, 05 Mar 1997 11:16:46 +0800, Robin
<ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

>Hi,

>I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
>a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
>called?

I've seen queen used, but I think that's specifically used for a
mother-cat. I'm not sure that would be the right word to use for
either a young or a spayed female.

Myranya
myr...@knoware.nl
My file on flying with cats available at:
http://www.tfd.nl/myranya/

Martin & Corine Judkins

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

On 5 Mar 1997 08:17:36 GMT, Ke...@Quosig.com (Kevin Quosig) wrote:

>Anyone know of the names for the "altered" (spay/neuter) cats? For
>example, in domestic ferrets:

so for cats:

Whole Male.....Tom
Neuter.........Neuter
Whole Female...Queen
Spay...........Spay

Cheers, Corine
Martin's Irish music page:
http://www.inter.nl.net/users/M.Judkins/martin.html
Corine's Siamese cattery page:
http://www.inter.nl.net/users/M.Judkins/astra.html
ICCSBW homepage:
http://www1.tip.nl/users/t342406/home.html

Paul Ernest

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95.970305...@leonis.nus.sg>,
Lucille <mpeo...@leonis.nus.sg> wrote:

>[snip]

> I have seen the word "queen" used for female cats as well, although it's
> not found in the Webster's dictionary.

I have a relatively old Webster's dictionary (copyright 1965) which does
list as one definition of queen "a mature female cat."

I have also heard the term "molly" to refer to a female cat. Has anyone
else heard this one?

--Paul

"One has not known true love until one has been loved by a cat."

Stacy Scott

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

------------2D4024663D8B0

David A Thomas wrote:

> Robin (ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au) wrote:
> > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > called?
>

> A queen.

Right. Also "molly," although this is less common. Generally, "queen"
seems
to be used only for reproductive cats -- when it comes to that, I've
only heard
it used by breeders.

I personally refer to my female cat either by name (Domino) or as
something
like !@#$&*!! when she runs under my feet as I'm getting out of the
shower.

Stacy Scott

------------2D4024663D8B0

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>David A Thomas wrote:<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; Robin (ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au) wrote:<BR>
&gt; &gt; I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for<BR>
&gt; &gt; a female cat.&nbsp; A female dog is a bitch but what is a female
cat<BR>
&gt; &gt; called?<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; A queen.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Right.&nbsp; Also &quot;molly,&quot; although this is less common.&nbsp;
Generally, &quot;queen&quot; seems</DT>

<DT>to be used only for reproductive cats -- when it comes to that, I've
only heard</DT>

<DT>it used by breeders.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>I personally refer to my female cat either by name (Domino) or as something</DT>

<DT>like !@#$&amp;*!! when she runs under my feet as I'm getting out of
the shower.</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

<DT>Stacy Scott</DT>

<DT>&nbsp;</DT>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------------2D4024663D8B0--

Miche

Mar 6, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/6/97

In article <331D9F...@uoguelph.com>
Johanna Botari <jbo...@uoguelph.com> writes:

> Robin wrote:
> >
> > Hi,

> > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > called?
> >

> I know at least a breeding female is referred to as a "queen". I don't
> know if that still applies if she is spayed, and I'm not sure of the
> term otherwise. My females are specifically called Lucy and Panda,
> collectively "the girls", though I doubt that's what you're looking
> for. ;-)

AFAIK queen applies whether she's spayed or not. In the dog world, a
bitch doesn't stop being a bitch just because she's spayed - I don't
see why it should be different for cats.

Miche

------------
Remove ad block <no-ads.> in return address before sending email
What I post is my opinion only. <*>
"Share your second favourite thing in the universe with a friend."
- All I ever needed to know, I learned from Babylon 5

Lorenzo L. Love

Mar 7, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/7/97

M.Ju...@inter.nl.net (Martin & Corine Judkins) wrote:
>On 5 Mar 1997 08:17:36 GMT, Ke...@Quosig.com (Kevin Quosig) wrote:
>
>>Anyone know of the names for the "altered" (spay/neuter) cats? For
>>example, in domestic ferrets:
>>

>so for cats:
>
>Whole Male.....Tom
>Neuter.........Neuter
>Whole Female...Queen
>Spay...........Spay
>
>Cheers, Corine

I have never heard of a cat being called a neuter or a spay in the way
a castrated bull is called a steer. Is this something breeders use?

Lorenzo L. Love
lll...@snowcrest.net

CYBLUME

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

A female cat is a queen.

Robin <ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote in article
<331CE5...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au>...

> I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> called?

> Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au > Curtin
University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin

Cees Schouten

Mar 8, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/8/97

David A Thomas <da...@mudshark.micro.ti.com> schreef in artikel
<5fjpdd$e...@splat.micro.ti.com>...

> Robin (ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au) wrote:
> > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > called?
>
> A queen.
Hm, that's new to me... thought the lady was called a pussycat. Or is that
merely in use in cartoons? "I thought I saw a pussycat..."

--
Bye,

Cees.
http://www.worldaccess.nl/~ceessie/home.html

Kevin Quosig

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

In article <5fq1u2$p...@news.snowcrest.net>, "Lorenzo L. Love"
<lll...@snowcrest.net> wrote:

> I have never heard of a cat being called a neuter or a spay in the way
> a castrated bull is called a steer. Is this something breeders use?

Possibly, I have heard folks at cat shows (CFA) loosly use the terms in
that way. Also correct is that "Queen" is not in Webster's as a whole
female cat. Probably just breeder terms.

ke...@quosig.com

David A Thomas

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

Cees Schouten (cee...@worldaccess.nl) wrote:
> David A Thomas <da...@mudshark.micro.ti.com> schreef in artikel
> <5fjpdd$e...@splat.micro.ti.com>...
> > Robin (ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au) wrote:
> > > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > > called?
> >
> > A queen.
> Hm, that's new to me... thought the lady was called a pussycat. Or is that
> merely in use in cartoons? "I thought I saw a pussycat..."

As in, "I tawt I taw a puddy tat"? That would refer to Sylvester.

Jake Last

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

In Newsgroup: rec.pets.cats, reply to k...@cat.net (Kim Bull) wrote:
> Robin <ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au> wrote:

> >Hi,

> >I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> >a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> >called?
> >

> >Hoping you can help.
> >
> >--

> >Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au
> >Curtin University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin

> >The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people
> >feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.
> > -- Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Simpsons, ("Moaning Lisa")
> >======================================================================
> A queen, I think.

Usually, female cats are only called queens when they are un-neuteured and
actively breeding, in the same way that un-neuteured males are sometimes
called toms. I don't think there is an equivalent of a bitch in the cat
world, since female dogs are called bitches regardless of whether or not
they've been neuteured. The same goes for male dogs (just called dogs).
I just call neuteured females neuteured females.
--

* Meeeow ! Call Spuddy on (01268) 515441 for FREE mail & Usenet access *

Michael Sestak

Mar 9, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/9/97

In article <5ftkau$9...@splat.micro.ti.com>, da...@micro.ti.com wrote:

- Cees Schouten (cee...@worldaccess.nl) wrote:
- > David A Thomas <da...@mudshark.micro.ti.com> schreef in artikel
- > <5fjpdd$e...@splat.micro.ti.com>...
- > > Robin (ro...@fury.cs.curtin.edu.au) wrote:
- > > > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
- > > > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
- > > > called?
- > >
- > > A queen.
- > Hm, that's new to me... thought the lady was called a pussycat. Or is that
- > merely in use in cartoons? "I thought I saw a pussycat..."
-
- As in, "I tawt I taw a puddy tat"? That would refer to Sylvester.
- --
- David Thomas (da...@micro.ti.com)
- Texas Instruments, Houston (713)-274-2347

My Russian friends believe that (at least in Brittain, since most
of them learned English from Brittish, not American textbooks)
a female is a pussycat and a male is a tomcat. In Russian there
are two distinct words for male and female cats (kot and koshka)
so they have some incentive for finding two words in English.
Except for tomcat, I haven't heard many people make any
distinction. Breeders do call breeding females queens.
I call the big white fellow Halley the big guy cat and the little
tabby Marlo the little girl cat (she's actually at least a couple
years older than him, but only about a third the size so's
"the little girl").

Misha

Myranya Werlemann

Mar 11, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/11/97

On 8 Mar 1997 21:36:06 GMT, "Cees Schouten" <cee...@worldaccess.nl>
wrote:

>> A queen.

>Hm, that's new to me... thought the lady was called a pussycat. Or is that

>merely in use in cartoons? "I thought I saw a pussycat..."

You're thinking of the Dutch word 'poes', but although it does sound
alike it doesn't translate this literally :)
(for the curious, Dutch female is 'poes', male is 'kater', just any
cat is 'kat')

RdDraco

Mar 16, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/16/97

A female cat is a Queen and a male is a Tom.

ShonnieB

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

Kittycat is a female (whole or spayed) and a tomcat is a tomcat.

bu...@redrose.net

Mar 24, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/24/97

I thought the female cat was referred to as 'queen' during mating.

The Almighty Murg

Mar 25, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/25/97

Fluffy, usually..
Not Meow.
Not Woof.
Growl. The language of Humanity.

by...@interzon.demon.co.uk

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

A female is called a queen.

In article <3337b5d7....@ihotnews.ihot.com>, The Almighty Murg
<mrh...@ihot.com> writes

--
by...@interzon.demon.co.uk

Laura A. Graham

Mar 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM3/27/97

My female cat is She Who Must Be Petted, Fed, Watered, Played With, and
Left Alone At Her Imperial Command. (or "cassie" or "kittykitty" for
short)

In article <5h67gj$i...@lily.redrose.net>, bu...@redrose.net says...

Betty Lipkin

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97

bu...@redrose.net wrote:

> I thought the female cat was referred to as 'queen' during mating.
>
> shon...@aol.com (ShonnieB) wrote:
>
> >Kittycat is a female (whole or spayed) and a tomcat is a tomcat.

Actually, you're right. Female felines are referred to as
Queens when folks are discussing the breeding and subsequent
birthing of kits. Personally, I like it better than what
female dogs get called!

betty --m...@meowr.com-- --Tai Cattery--

Chu Dung

Apr 4, 1997, 3:00:00 AM4/4/97
Yes, Queen does sound better but the thing is that if the term "bitch" were
used EXCLUSIVELY to refer to a female dog in heat it wouldn't carry the
negative connotations it does today through its misuse.

mr.candy...@gmail.com

May 17, 2015, 3:04:34 AM5/17/15
A pussy

betty...@gmail.com

Jul 8, 2015, 6:55:29 PM7/8/15
A quean is the correct spelling but it's queen for sure they show you that much

the1tra...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2015, 2:32:53 AM12/14/15
1965 Websters dictionary female cat is defined as Queen

hatto...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2016, 11:44:21 AM2/24/16
On Tuesday, 4 March 1997 08:00:00 UTC, Murdock wrote:
> A queen.
>
> Robin wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > called?
> >
> > Hoping you can help.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au
> > Curtin University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin
> > The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people
> > feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.
> > -- Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Simpsons, ("Moaning Lisa")
>

> --
> How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those who are wise
> and of good will.
> -- Albert Einstein

A female cat is called a queen.

sharonma...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2016, 3:46:29 PM7/6/16
What is a female cat called? | Reference.com
Mobile-friendly - Full Answer. If the specific cat in mention is currently raising kittens or is a soon-to-be mother, the term "Queen" would be an acceptable title, but female cats that aren't nursing or pregnant are typically referred to as a "Molly," which connotes less of a motherly feel.

annabelt...@gmail.com

Aug 16, 2016, 2:19:07 AM8/16/16
According to Wikipedia, a queen is a female "unaltered" cat, or a "molly" is a non nursing, non pregnant female.

gnel...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2016, 3:01:25 PM9/1/16
I like cats

tgrady...@gmail.com

Oct 11, 2016, 1:51:41 AM10/11/16
On Tuesday, March 4, 1997 at 12:00:00 AM UTC-8, Murdock wrote:
> A queen.
>
> Robin wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > called?
> >
> > Hoping you can help.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au
> > Curtin University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin
> > The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people
> > feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.
> > -- Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Simpsons, ("Moaning Lisa")
>

> --
> How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those who are wise
> and of good will.
> -- Albert Einstein

the female is a queen or a molly queen is reference to a nursing mother a molly is not and a spayed female is a Spay

clarkn...@gmail.com

Dec 18, 2016, 8:01:02 AM12/18/16
Altered name: Gib
Altered female: Molly

michaela...@gmail.com

Feb 6, 2017, 10:38:10 AM2/6/17
On Tuesday, March 4, 1997 at 8:00:00 AM UTC, Murdock wrote:
> A queen.
>
> Robin wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I've been trying (without success) to find out the term for
> > a female cat. A female dog is a bitch but what is a female cat
> > called?
> >
> > Hoping you can help.
> >
> > --
> > Robin Hosie | ro...@cs.curtin.edu.au
> > Curtin University,WA,Australia | http://www.cs.curtin.edu.au/~robin
> > The Blues isn't about feeling better, it's about making other people
> > feel worse, and making a few bucks while you're at it.
> > -- Bleeding Gums Murphy, The Simpsons, ("Moaning Lisa")
>

> --
> How I wish that somewhere there existed an island for those who are wise
> and of good will.
> -- Albert Einstein

An unmated female is called a "Molly" whereas a female with kittens is called a "queen"

Michaela x

jhan...@gmail.com

May 18, 2017, 2:41:58 AM5/18/17
A queen Robin

ashleylc...@gmail.com

Sep 7, 2017, 3:54:21 PM9/7/17
a neutered male is Car is also a gib.
Apparently Molly is a term for female neutered cat.

A male cat, when is not neutered is referred to as "tom" or "tomcat" and is called a gib (when neutered). Common term Molly. for female.

Bill Cunningham

Sep 13, 2017, 11:08:38 PM9/13/17

<ashleylc...@gmail.com> wrote in message
I've only heard the terms Tomcat and Queens for the females. What about
a spayed 'Queen' ?

Bill

mrsdeb...@gmail.com

Feb 3, 2018, 10:32:24 AM2/3/18
A female cat is referred to as a queen...