HAPPY RC5.....but have lost disk spindown

notoneofmyseeds

Jul 7, 2016, 6:42:37 PM7/7/16
to Alt-F
Happy to report that my major issues with RC5, the one reported about
not getting access is now resolved.

What did I do? Removed the USB on which Alt-F is installed. Let the
machine run for a long time.
Hard shutdown, plug back the USB stick, took a walk/coffee, etc. And
next I know, I was able to use SAMBA to access it and the drives. All
has been well since.

However, the disks are running, running, and running. They used to sleep
on RC4. It will be very, very nice to get that back, as the main
reasons, aside this great firmware that I'm still on this box that's
slower than most people's phone is that I can save on energy with it.

So, please, I'd be happy to provide the details of my HDs to get back
the possibility of them spinning down and conserving energy.

I thank you! Great, wonderful job.

João Cardoso

Jul 9, 2016, 12:18:42 PM7/9/16
to Alt-F, notoneo...@gmx.de

On Thursday, 7 July 2016 23:42:37 UTC+1, notoneofmyseeds wrote:
Happy to report that my major issues with RC5, the one reported about
not getting access is now resolved.

What did I do? Removed the USB on which Alt-F is installed. Let the
machine run for a long time.
Hard shutdown, plug back the USB stick, took a walk/coffee, etc. And
next I know, I was able to use SAMBA to access it and the drives. All
has been well since.

However, the disks are running, running, and running. They used to sleep
on RC4. It will be very, very nice to get that back, as the main
reasons, aside this great firmware that I'm still on this box that's
slower than most people's phone is that I can save on energy with it.

Try Disk->Utilities, verify the Spindown timeout value and Submit.
Notice that if you are running some service installed on disk or regularly accessing the disk it might not spindown.

My boxes disks spindown.