Change System disks

D D

Jan 16, 2018, 10:32:49 AM1/16/18
to Alt-F
Hi Guys!
I installed a second disk recently and would like to use the new one as the system disk with all system files and folders. How can I change this? Do I need to change sda to the new HDD which is currently sdb? How would I do this?

Thanks!

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jan 16, 2018, 5:57:21 PM1/16/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Im not near my computer now, but you should go to "packages -> Alt-F", and then, you will see the filesystem the package is installed. You can copy it to other HD (even a USB pendrive), and make this other copy active.

In my case, I had one 8GB pendrive laying around, and now it's being used to store the Alt-F files

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jan 16, 2018, 6:02:34 PM1/16/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Forgot that I can access my box out of my home... Hahahaha....

Take a look on screenshots. You should have one line for the current package location. Select the new HDD, and you will have 2 copies of it.

Then, you will be able to select which one should be active, and even remove the old one.

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android

Paulo Elifaz Andrielli

Jan 16, 2018, 6:03:08 PM1/16/18
to al...@googlegroups.com
Aaaannnnnddd..... Forgot tonattach the files!

[]'s
Paulo
sent from Android
Screenshot_20180116-205835.png
Screenshot_20180116-205825.png

D D

Jan 17, 2018, 7:04:44 AM1/17/18
to Alt-F
Does this refer to the whole alt-f System or only to the additional packages? Because it shows „
No Alt-F package installation found“ on my system but I have folders such as „Users“ and „.systemfile“ and „mediaserver“ and „.bootstrap“ on sda2...

Maybe I need to switch sda and sdb labelling for the two HDDs to avoid adapting the paths everywhere..?

Thanks!

João Cardoso

Jan 17, 2018, 9:30:00 PM1/17/18
to Alt-F

On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 12:04:44 UTC, D D wrote:
Does this refer to the whole alt-f System or only to the additional packages? Because it shows „
No Alt-F package installation found“ on my system but I have folders such as „Users“ and „.systemfile“ and „mediaserver“ and „.bootstrap“ on sda2...

Alt-F needs no disks to work, it is not installed on disk it is flashed in non-volatile memory and runs from it. It has however provisions to install additional packages (or updates to existing packages) on disk, but will haply revert to the flashed ones when/if the disk (Alt-F folder) is not found.

Maybe I need to switch sda and sdb labelling for the two HDDs to avoid adapting the paths everywhere..?

disks names are not controllable. The first disk found will be called sda and it is normally in the left bay (on a two disks system), and the second disk will be named sdb, so you might have to exchange disks.

Thanks!