Building Alt-F 1.0

Michael Eager

Jul 1, 2017, 11:15:19 AM7/1/17
to Alt-F
I've successfully built Alt-F 1.0 from the SVN trunk.

There were a couple minor build issues:

1.  Building binutils fails because of doc errors which are caught by texinfo-5.x (installed on my build system), but not texinfo-4.x.  This has been fixed in the upstream binutils.  I've attach a patch.

2.  A host system version of texinfo-4.13 is built by buildroot, except after building binutils.  I didn't try to muck with the build order.

3.  I had to run "sudo mkdir /srv/tftproot" before running mkfw.sh.  (Possibly this is a difference between Ubuntu and my CentOS build system, or it is likely created when tftp is installed, which I didn't do.)

I haven't tested my build yet and probably won't have a chance to do this for a week.

I previously had problems running OpenVPN on the released Alt-F 1.0 because the tunnel4.ko driver was missing for linux-4.4.45.  There was a version built for linux-3.18.28 (used for the RC versions).  I thought that perhaps the driver was not being built, but it is.  Or that it wasn't copied into the rootfs.   I checked the rootfsfiles-base.lst and it is not copied to the rootfs for linux-4.4.45.  But neither is it in the base list for linux-3.18.28.  I can add tunnel4.ko to the base list (assuming that there is room in the flash) but I'm left wondering how it got into the modules for linux-3.18.28.
913-fixdoc.patch

Friesenkiwi

Jul 1, 2017, 11:39:47 AM7/1/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Am 01.07.2017 um 17:15 schrieb Michael Eager:
> I've successfully built Alt-F 1.0 from the SVN trunk.
That is great news, thank you for sharing, so I hope I should be able to
do likewise without too much problems.
Can you share, whcih host system, compiler version and environment
variables you used and which commands you exactly ran?

> There were a couple minor build issues:
>
> 1. Building binutils fails because of doc errors which are caught by
> texinfo-5.x (installed on my build system), but not texinfo-4.x. This
has
> been fixed in the upstream binutils. I've attach a patch.
I ran into that as well and was able to mitigate via
find -name '*.texinfo' | sed 's/texinfo$/info/' | xargs touch
but your solution sounds much better.

> 2. A host system version of texinfo-4.13 is built by buildroot, except
> after building binutils. I didn't try to muck with the build order.
So this is not a problem?

> 3. I had to run "sudo mkdir /srv/tftproot" before running mkfw.sh.
> (Possibly this is a difference between Ubuntu and my CentOS build system,
> or it is likely created when tftp is installed, which I didn't do.)
Sadly, I did not come until there but go stuck while building gcc...

Michael Eager

Jul 1, 2017, 11:49:25 AM7/1/17
to Alt-F, goo...@friekiwi.mensa.uberspace.de

On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 8:39:47 AM UTC-7, Friesenkiwi wrote:
Hi,

Am 01.07.2017 um 17:15 schrieb Michael Eager:
> I've successfully built Alt-F 1.0 from the SVN trunk.
That is great news, thank you for sharing, so I hope I should be able to
do likewise without too much problems.
Can you share, whcih host system, compiler version and environment
variables you used and which commands you exactly ran?

CentOS 7 host, gcc-4.8.5 (which should not matter).

I used the instructions on the wiki https://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/wiki/How%20to%20Build%20RC4/
except that I pulled
svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/alt-f/code/trunk.

> 2.  A host system version of texinfo-4.13 is built by buildroot, except
> after building binutils.  I didn't try to muck with the build order.
So this is not a problem?

It should be fixed, but it's not a real issue.

> 3.  I had to run "sudo mkdir /srv/tftproot" before running mkfw.sh.
> (Possibly this is a difference between Ubuntu and my CentOS build system,
> or it is likely created when tftp is installed, which I didn't do.)
Sadly, I did not come until there but go stuck while building gcc...

Send me details and I'll see if I can help.  I'm traveling; there may be a delay.

Friesenkiwi

Jul 1, 2017, 12:14:24 PM7/1/17
to al...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Am 01.07.2017 um 17:49 schrieb Michael Eager:
>> Can you share, whcih host system, compiler version and environment
>> variables you used and which commands you exactly ran?
> CentOS 7 host, gcc-4.8.5 (which should not matter).
>
> I used the instructions on the wiki
> https://sourceforge.net/p/alt-f/wiki/How%20to%20Build%20RC4/
> except that I pulled
> svn://svn.code.sf.net/p/alt-f/code/trunk.
Huh, that is a bit weird, because that is what I did and the setup it
seems to be comparable to mine, which fails.

> Send me details and I'll see if I can help. I'm traveling; there may be a
> delay.
Thanks for your help!
Here is what I did:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt-f/l2w3NAwssCw

Which additional details do you need?

Maybe the difference is in the board? I was doing dns325 for the 320L.

Cheers

Michael Eager

Jul 2, 2017, 12:59:05 AM7/2/17
to al...@googlegroups.com

On Jul 1, 2017 9:14 AM, "Friesenkiwi" <goo...@friekiwi.mensa.uberspace.de> wrote:
Hi,

Am 01.07.2017 um 17:49 schrieb Michael Eager:
>> Can you share, whcih host system, compiler version and environment
>> variables you used and which commands you exactly ran?
> CentOS 7 host, gcc-4.8.5 (which should not matter).

I forgot that new host GCC does sometimes cause errors building older versions.

> Send me details and I'll see if I can help.  I'm traveling; there may be a
> delay.
Thanks for your help!
Here is what I did:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/alt-f/l2w3NAwssCw

Which additional details do you need?

Maybe the difference is in the board? I was doing dns325 for the 320L.

I'm  building dsn323, but I don't think that any of the errors you got should be caused by this difference.  Unless the kernel headers are very different.

One of your errors is caused by texinfo-5, another gcc-5, but the rest don't have clear reasons.  I might try building each falling package independently,  then try to understand the root cause for missing include file names,  etc.

Cheers

João Cardoso

Jul 20, 2017, 2:17:25 PM7/20/17
to Alt-F

On Saturday, 1 July 2017 16:15:19 UTC+1, Michael Eager wrote:
I've successfully built Alt-F 1.0 from the SVN trunk.

There were a couple minor build issues:

1.  Building binutils fails because of doc errors which are caught by texinfo-5.x (installed on my build system), but not texinfo-4.x.  This has been fixed in the upstream binutils.  I've attach a patch.

Thanks

2.  A host system version of texinfo-4.13 is built by buildroot, except after building binutils.  I didn't try to muck with the build order.

3.  I had to run "sudo mkdir /srv/tftproot" before running mkfw.sh.  (Possibly this is a difference between Ubuntu and my CentOS build system, or it is likely created when tftp is installed, which I didn't do.)

That is a hack, only needed for development on the box under u-boot on  a serial adapter.

I haven't tested my build yet and probably won't have a chance to do this for a week.

I previously had problems running OpenVPN on the released Alt-F 1.0 because the tunnel4.ko driver was missing for linux-4.4.45.  There was a version built for linux-3.18.28 (used for the RC versions).  I thought that perhaps the driver was not being built, but it is.  Or that it wasn't copied into the rootfs.   I checked the rootfsfiles-base.lst and it is not copied to the rootfs for linux-4.4.45.  But neither is it in the base list for linux-3.18.28.  I can add tunnel4.ko to the base list (assuming that there is room in the flash) but I'm left wondering how it got into the modules for linux-3.18.28.

I think that you address that under other topic.