RO on usb device

Dainius Kunigauskas

Apr 25, 2017, 4:01:26 AM4/25/17
to Alt-F
Hello,

I am trying to connect USB stick and install alt-F system into usb drive.
But after first reboot USB partition is mounted as read only. I have no idea how to fix it.
I tried to recreate partitions several times, tried to use different usb stick, tried to create partitions in linux pc and then connect it to alt-F, was using etx2, ext4... It is always the same.

Did I miss something?
Is it possible to install everything on USB flash drive and then add left/right drives?

Thanks

João Cardoso

Apr 26, 2017, 1:29:35 PM4/26/17
to Alt-F

On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 09:01:26 UTC+1, Dainius Kunigauskas wrote:
Hello,

I am trying to connect USB stick and install alt-F system into usb drive.

Several users have reported doing that without issues. What Alt-F version and box model/rev are you using?

But after first reboot USB partition is mounted as read only.

It might have to do how the system is reboot or powerdown or the USB being unplugged without being unmounted first.
Filesystems when first discovered are checked to see if they are in a consistent state, and if they are not an automatic check is performed; if that is not successful, the filesystem is mounted in read-only RO mode to avoid further errors to develop. The Status page should display a warning and "advise" on a doing a "force fix" under Disk->Maintenance.

I have no idea how to fix it.
I tried to recreate partitions several times, tried to use different usb stick, tried to create partitions in linux pc and then connect it to alt-F, was using etx2, ext4... It is always the same.

You should use a linux filesystem, such as ext2/3/4. ext2 will apply less write stress the usb stick, but is more susceptible to improper unmounts (and consequently to a full fsck check). Partition schemes should not be relevant.

Did I miss something?
Is it possible to install everything on USB flash drive and then add left/right drives?

Yes, it should.
But because drive letters (sda/sdb/sdc) are assigned on a first-discovered-first-used it's better to power on the box with the final intended setup, so drive letter don't change in between.

Start not installing any packages, just the pre-installed packages while you debug what is happening.

Thanks